NFL Preseason 2009: signings, cuts etc.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Jimmy Chitwood said:
the Indianapolis Colts have signed wide receiver Brett McDermott out of Holy Cross to a free agent contract. i don't know much about him, but he put up really good numbers in college.

that brings the number of White rookie wideouts in the Colts' camp to three.

out of the 9 total receivers in camp for the Colts, 5 are White men.
smiley32.gif
hopefully most of them will stick come the final cut-down.

The Colts never did right by John Standeford. I'd like to see Collie be the number three receiver as a rookie; if that happens they'd have Gonzalez and Clark (who is basically a receiver) as three of their top four receiving threats. If that happens it won't bother me as muchif the others are let go, as is most likely.Edited by: Don Wassall

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
Jimmy Chitwood said:
the Indianapolis Colts have signed wide receiver Brett McDermott out of Holy Cross to a free agent contract. i don't know much about him, but he put up really good numbers in college.

that brings the number of White rookie wideouts in the Colts' camp to three.

out of the 9 total receivers in camp for the Colts, 5 are White men. 
smiley32.gif
 hopefully most of them will stick come the final cut-down.

Star Wars wrote:

"Maybe Dungy wants to win."

Tony Dungy is not the Colts head coach for 2009, it is his self-appointed successor, Jim Caldwell.

Who needs the Rooney Rule when one black designates his replacement without a search/interview process?

On a more positive note, let's hope the Colts make good use of all their white receivers next season. We could use some positive news after the draft debacle.

green fire317

Banned
i am glad marvin harrisson was finally released, he has been overrated for several years now. it mens guys like clark, gonzalez, and collie will get more receptions.

guest301

Hall of Famer
The Colts always seem to be ahead of the curb in giving white guys a chance to compete at WR and actually play. If it does indeed turnout to be a majority white WR and TE corp then they are fortunate because they definitely have a great QB who can get them the ball.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I sure hope Collie is used as the third receiver this year. He is capable but the Colts could always put some scrub like Pierre Garcon ahead of him.

Riddlewire

Master
So much for the Jags ever getting close to letting a white man play Quarterback. They have already cut Central Arkansas QB Nathan Brown.
link
The other white QBs they signed as FAs were planned to move to different positions.
Looks like it's Garrard and Lemon again.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I think Jacksonville will get white still. The ejection of Shack Harris from Jax will probably mean a better chance for white players to make it. They signed Kyle Bell, Brock Bolen and Pete Ittersagen. I think they are already targeting Tebow, they need someone who will draw fans in. They did sign a fair amount of white rookie free agents as well. Not defending them but they could be seeing the errors of their previous ways.

referendum

Mentor
They also signed Considine and he's the frontrunner to be a starting safety. OTOH, look what they did with Jones, this in the post-Harris era.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
If I have to pick-I'd much rather see Kyle Bell make it then Bolen. Bell was SO DAMN GOOD before his knee injury & seems to be healthy again. Bell just needs to get the confidence back in his knee, trust his running style & find his grove again.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Browns signed Mike Furrey who will compete to be a slot receiver for them.

backrow

Hall of Famer
yeah, i still can't get over the fact that just as Kevin Kasper was actually make an impact he should have had years ago he got injured (preseason of 2008, playing for Browns where he was a favourite to be their thirdreceiver). let's hope Furrey makes it and starts this year!

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Good place for mike indeed

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I'm hoping Mangini will be at least as fair as Crennel there. Crenell seemed like he was fairer than average, but wasn't quite as good as McCarthy, Belichek and Dungy. None of these guys are fair enough though.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Mike Furrey has hands as good as Welker. There is no reason if he gets a fair shot that he doesn't win the 3rd spot. Good luck to Furrey!

backrow

Hall of Famer
updated the list in the first post a little bit.

it's astounding that Zwinggi didn't even get a try out from anyone, i mean what's going on!

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
J.D. Quinn-an offensive lineman from Montana and formerly of Oklahoma-has just signed with the Dolphins.

This is a talented guy who has run into NCAA trouble and drunk driving problems.

Since the NFL gives one black after the other 3rd and 4th chances, let's hope J.D. makes the most of this one, stays out of trouble, and makes it in the NFL.

dwid

Hall of Famer
well saints have a few White guys on their rookie mini camp roster, hope some of them stick

1 QB Nathan Brown 6-1 219 Central Arkansas 1st-Year Player

2 QB Drew Weatherford 6-1 215 Florida State College Free Agent

14 QB Patrick Cowan 6-4 226 UCLA

33 S Greg Laybourn 5-10 199 Oregon State

46B LB Blake Freese 6-2 244 Minnesota State

46W FB Tyler Jangula 6-1 249 North Dakota State

47 LB Jeff Souder 6-0 245 Nebraska-Omaha

49W FB Collin Mooney 5-10 240 Army

61W C Alex Fletcher 6-2 297 Stanford

68 LB Nathan Williams 6-1 225 Murray State

68B DT Brandon Nicolas 6-3 294 Colorado

69B DT Eric Schroeder 6-4 296 South Dakota State

79 C Stephen Hamby 6-3 293 Texas Tech

81 WR Matthew Simon 6-1 199 Northern Illinois

82 TE Ian Jorgensen 6-5 267 Massachusetts

85 TE Shae Reagan 6-4 251 Texas Christian

90 TE Steven Brouse 6-4 252 Connecticut

I think today is the only day for some of these guys to make impressions, so hopefully a few stick

I think one of the white DT's should make it and one of the white centers, Alex Fletcher is good, I think they already signed himEdited by: dwid

Boggs

backrow said:
updated the list in the first post a little bit.

it's astounding that Zwinggi didn't even get a try out from anyone, i mean what's going on!

I think it's a confluence of events.. most notablyTexas State playingsubpar competition, andhis fellow running back/platoon mate, Karrington Bush, who's 2 years younger, almost doubling Zwinggi'syards, and more more than doubling histouchdowns withpractically the same amount of carries.Edited by: Boggs

Riddlewire

Master
Boggs said:
I think it's a confluence of events.. most notably Texas State playing subpar competition, and his fellow running back/platoon mate, Karrington Bush, who's 2 years younger, almost doubling Zwinggi's yards, and more more than doubling his touchdowns with practically the same amount of carries.
As NFL scouts and college coaches constantly tell us, production is irrelevant. Measurables are all that matter.
They can't have it both ways.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
If Zwinggi was black, with his speed he would at the least be some team's "project," alaRB Chris Henry, whohad less than 800 yards rushing in three seasons at Arizona but was drafted in the second round solely because of his speed.

backrow

Hall of Famer
if they were all about production, Raiders ould get Collie, Crabtree or Maclin instead of Hayward-Bey...