NFL Draft 2012

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Now the sumos are coming....

Cordy Glenn has bust written all over him. The "highlight" tape they showed on NFL Network showed a slow-footed slug who was easily beaten inside.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Dolphins drafted a sumo, but at least it wasn't a WR. I'm hoping Hartline is the team's clearcut #1 receiver this year and has a thousand yards plus.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Well, it looks like the Seahawks don't want their contigent of white LBs seeing the field on defense anymore.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
New Englands loading up on some more black defenders in round two!! How many of these guys ever pan out for Belechick and co?

Highlander

Mentor
Arghh, I thought the draft started at 6:00 p.m. my time, not 5:00 p.m.

Glad Fleener went to the Colts. Can't believe Denver took Derek Wolfe, but pleasantly surprised. The DWFs in Denver were hoping (or at least expecting) Jerel Worthy.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The second round started off great, but now we've had 13 non-Whites in a row drafted. . .

L

Lew

Might as well have some fun while waiting for the next round of dumb decisions.

Here are my 1st Rd "Draft Grades" for each pick (from the perspective of the teams):

1. Indianapolis: Andrew Luck - A+
The Colts needed a QB and they got the best one in college football.

2. Washington: Robert Griffin - A
The NFL will reshape the game and massage officiating styles in order to make Griffin successful. The league and their media partners have already invested too much in Griffin for him to fail. They will make sure he's a star, one way or another.

3. Cleveland: Trent Richardson - Hahahahaha

4. Minnesota: Matt Kalil - A+
Offensive tackles provide good value. Kalil is the best in the draft. The Vikings fill a need. A perfect selection.

5. Jacksonville: Justin Blackmon - C-
One spread WR isn't going to take the pressure off of Gabbert. Jacksonville has a lot of needs. Honestly, I think they would get a C- no matter who they picked here. Hopefully the new owner can fix their historical problems.

6. Dallas: Morris Claiborne - F-
Oh, sorry, that was his GPA.

7. Tampa Bay: Mark Barron - D
They need a new quarterback, not a safety. Improving the defense just gives the ball back to Josh Freeman more often. That's not a helpful thing.

8. Miami: Ryan Tannehill - B-
Tannehill should have gone one spot higher. Miami is a club that doesn't know what kind of football team it wants to be. Fortunately, Tannehill's arm and athleticism will rescue them frequently from a bad playbook.

9. Carolina: Luke Kuechly - A-
Assuming Rivera's Run'n'Shoot works for a second straight season, this was a correct pick. Carolina's defense was dumb last year. Kuechly instantly raises its IQ, and, therefore, its ability to stop opposing teams.

10. Buffalo: Stephon Gilmore - C
I admit to not knowing much of anything about Buffalo or their team needs. SEC players are overrated, so this pick gets a C by default.

11. Kansas City: Dontari Poe - D-
How often does drafting an unknown "combine surprise" player work? Almost never.

12. Philadelphia: Fletcher Cox - D
Defensive lines are like the American educational system. Throwing more money at teachers unions doesn't fix anything. The same goes for throwing more sumos onto a defense. All you're doing is increasing your catering costs.

13. Arizona: Michael Floyd - C
Same situation as Buffalo. I haven't watched the Cardinals play recently. Floyd has a lot of accumulated production in his career, although his "Deep Threat" ability is in doubt due to a poor yards/catch avg for a #1 outside guy.

14. St. Louis: Michael Brockers - D
The Rams were dead last in receiving yards and touchdowns last year. How does a slow lardass help Bradford? And analysts freely admit that Brockers is a poor pass rusher, so his only role is to occupy space for the run game. Not exactly a good way to force 3-and-outs.

15. Seattle: Bruce Irvin - F-
Irvin is an anglerfish. He can't stay out of the water for more than a few minutes. How can he possibly play football for the Seahawks?

16. NY Jets: Quinton Coples - F
An assault charge waiting to happen. Coples will be out of the league before his third season. Not exactly good value for a first round pick.

17. Cincinnati: Dre Kirkpatrick - C
Another example of a mediocre prospect being elevated for playing in the SEC. However, Dalton and the offense didn't have any dire needs, so this pick isn't a disaster.

18. San Diego: Melvin Ingram - D-
The most overrated defender in college football.

19. Chicago: Shea McClellin - B+
The Bears are very average all over the field. As long as a truly talented player like McClellin was taken, there were really no bad choices.

20. Tennessee: Kendall Wright - F+
Nowhere near as overhyped as Griffin, but still a mediocre player who benefitted from the brilliance of Art Briles. Wright will never get separation from NFL corners. A wasted pick by the Titans.

21. New England: Chandler Jones - F+
Jones wasn't even a particularly good college player. This is a diversity pick. There can't be any other explanation.

22. Cleveland: Brandon Weeden - F
I like Weeden a lot. I think he could be a successful starter in the NFL. Cleveland is a franchise in full collapse. No QB will be successful there. They should switch to the wishbone.

23. Detroit: Reilly Reiff - C
Only an average score because I didn't watch any Iowa football last year (still pretty pissed at Ferentz). Was this really a need for Detroit?

24. Pittsburgh: David DeCastro - A+
A team with a traditional power running game takes the best OG in the draft. Sounds like a A+ move to me.

25. New England: Dont'a Hightower - D-
Too limited. Not the type of player they claimed to need. Is he only going to come on the field for goal line stands?

26. Houston: Whitney Mercilus - F-
A complete fraud. One year wonder. Nick Fairley 2.0. The Texans didn't need him. A wasted pick.

27. Cincinnati: Kevin Zeitler - B-
Zeitler was underrated because the rest of the Wisconsin O-line was so good. This is a high value pick.

28. Green Bay: Nick Perry - B
The Packers had problems on D last year. I don't know this Perry fellow. His career production seems ok, but USC is full of above average players at every position. So maybe he benefitted from a defense that opposing teams couldn't fight through.

29. Minnesota: Harrison Smith - A-
An excellent choice for the Vikings. A top player at a position of need.

30. San Francisco: A.J. Jenkins - D+
Well, they claimed to need a receiving threat. So they get points for addressing that. But this guy was not considered a top prospect by anybody.

31. Tampa Bay: Doug Martin - B+
I have my own statistical method for evaluating runningbacks. Martin was actually 6th on that list among draft eligible backs. I'm happy with this pick because it likely initiates the end of LeGarrette Blount's career.

32. NY Giants: David Wilson - F
A waste for the Giants. They could pick up any RB much later in the draft with abilities equal to or greater than Wilson's.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Highlander

Mentor
Blackaneers maintaining there course under caste whore schiano
Yes, another "blackout" for the Bucs, just like their games will be next year on their local TV. That being said, David is an excellent football player and linebacker that lacks the usual TNB (at least up until now, as we know how that went with Suh.)

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Packers, Patriots (and Houston) have gone 100% black through the first two rounds.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Luck to Fleener! With Collie as hopefully the #2 WR and Tommy Z and Angerer on D, the Colts may still be worth rooting for this year.
I admit I am behind the power curve on this year's draft, but glad for the picks that the Colts selected. However, with the pick of Fleener, what happens to Dallas Clark? He was all world a couple of years ago? Anyone know?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Injuries and Father Time have resulted in Clark declining noticeably the past two seasons. His backup Jacob Tamme was signed by Denver, but there has been no interest in Clark thus far by any teams.

Riddlewire

Master
Has anyone else noticed that Chris Berman is babbling incoherently?
And I'm not referring to his typical caste speak nonsense. I mean he sounds like he might be suffering from some kind of mental deterioration.
ESPN could use some new blood.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
After 13 Whites picked out of the first 36, there's been exactly two in the following 33 picks.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
(DT) Jerel Worthy went to Green Bay in the 2nd round. A few years' ago, he was fit, and a disruptive interior-lineman. Then, he gained a "noticeable" amount of weight.. and practically disappeared on the field.

In this Draft, he "fell" for a reason, but Green Bay is the one that "had to buy him" - I guess. :frusty:

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
The drought isn't surprising. Hopefully things pick up in the third. Crick better get taken in the third.