NFL Draft 2012

Harrison Smith to the Vikings! The return of Paul Krause!

The vikings were able to move up in the draft and get Harrison by giving the Ravens the 4th round pick they got from the Browns for that senseless trade the Walrus made earlier in the evening.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The vikings were able to move up in the draft and get Harrison by giving the Ravens the 4th round pick they got from the Browns for that senseless trade the Walrus made earlier in the evening.

I think the Ravens figured Smith would still be there at 35, as they were the team matched up with Smith in most of the mocks I saw.

Tampa just drafted Doug Martin, who is allegedly, as Gruden claims, a well-rounded back. In a fair NFL if they wanted a well-rounded back they would have drafted Martin...ek.

Highlander

Mentor
It will be unfathomable to me if Fleener isn't picked in the first round. NY will pick either Fleener or Stephen Hill. Fleener is the no-brainer between the two of them, but this is the NFL we're talking about here.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Hopefully the Colts will draft Fleener early second round and reunite him with Luck.

Irn Bru

Giants take Wilson. If the Rams don't take him tomorrow, what about matching Luck up with his favorite target? The Colts pick second.

Highlander

Mentor

Woody

Guru
Well that wraps it up. Talk about a CROP of DE busts that just got drafted! Yet again, the "white" teams didn't draft white players, and white players went to teams that I don't want to succeed. NE threw away their entire draft.
The Vikings drafted 2 white stalwarts. Kalil will help Ponder, Smith will be benefited by Allen and Robison, and will help them in turn. If Gerhart starts the season, they may be the team to cheer for.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Players that should get drafted tomorrow (round 2-3):

QB
Brock Osweiler
Brandon Weeden

TE
Coby Fleener

WR
Devon Wylie

OL
Peter Konz
Mitchell Schwartz
Ben Jones
Lucas Nix

DL
Jared Crick
Derek Wolfe
Jake Bequette

LB
Audie Cole
Miles Burris
Tank Carder

TwentyTwo

Master
I like the way Harrison Smith came with his "Strictly Business" look on the TV screen;should do well with Allen, Robison & Greenway.

10 whites in 1st Round...most since 89'...really? I can remember the 90's where NFL Drafts began to resemble the NBA Draft.

Fleener with the Colts will be lethal!

Thanks for list Leonardfan

dwid

Hall of Famer

QB
Brock Osweiler
Brandon Weeden

TE
Coby Fleener

WR
Devon Wylie

OL
Peter Konz
Mitchell Schwartz
Ben Jones
Lucas Nix

DL
Jared Crick
Derek Wolfe
Jake Bequette

LB
Audie Cole
Miles Burris
Tank Carder

I am pretty sure Weeden was drafted by the Browns

It seems like this is the Patriots plan, constantly trade down and get a bunch of picks then take a bunch of affletes with their picks and hope that one sticks. They get most of their Whites as free agents or late round/UDFA. I guess it is a good plan if you want to look diverse enough without getting criticism? You can find talented White players that nobody wants in FA or late rounds/undrafted. Its much harder to find black players unless its in the early rounds, and you have a 50 percent chance at best of that player producing. It would have been nice to see them draft Harrison Smith , they do need safety help. McCourty was moved there on 3rd downs. Having Smith and Edelman both playing db would have been great. Hopefully they pick a few Whites later on.

The Bears drafting Shea McCllelin makes me nervous, they might just screw him over.

Last edited:

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member

QB
Brock Osweiler
Brandon Weeden

TE
Coby Fleener

WR
Devon Wylie

OL
Peter Konz
Mitchell Schwartz
Ben Jones
Lucas Nix

DL
Jared Crick
Derek Wolfe
Jake Bequette

LB
Audie Cole
Miles Burris
Tank Carder

Lots of very solid players left. Except Weeden, who was drafted by the Browns with their second pick of the first round. Konz, Fleener and Crick should be cinch second round picks, hopefully joined by a half dozen or so others.

Will be interesting to see how many White WRs are picked, and when.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
It's been a real good draft so far. 10 white players picked! The Vikings should definitly be a team to cheer for next year: Four whites on defense, plus a white QB, RB(for at least part of the year,) and a stud at TE.

I agree, Houston and NE had pretty disappointing drafts so far. At least Houston didn't pick a WR to replace Walter yet.

I like that saying though, 10 Mighty Whiteys.

Also, thanks for the list, Leonardfan!

white is right

Hall of Famer
Did Gruden just say that Smith would be good "covering kicks"?
I didn't know special teams was such a great need that teams put their first round picks on the kick coverage units.
If Al Davis were still alive then it might be possible...

Can someone explain to me why the Browns swapped picks with the Vikings? Richardson would have been available at #4. Now the Browns give up 3 later round picks for this move.

There is a ton of posturing during the NFL Draft. The Vikings probably convinced the Browns that teams were interested in trading 1st round picks with them to move up and take Richardson.

L

Lew

Stay classy Roger Goodell

[video=youtube;jCkdScrer9w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCkdScrer9w[/video]

dwid

Hall of Famer
I wouldn't put it past the Vikings to have been interested in Richardson with Peterson's injury, permantly screwing over Gerhart as full time back up, justifying it by saying Richardson was a "can't miss prospect" and a top ten pick. DWF's forget very quickly how good a White player is. I was watchin some old Patriots games, it makes no sense that Heath Evans was never used in a bigger role, his running skills were better than Lawfirm's. It seems like a White back has to constantly run people over to get respect from fans, which is why Hillis and Alstott were popular. Out of all the great runs Gerhart had in college the one that fans remember is him trucking the Notre Dame defender. I guess he will have to do that to get any attention, even though thats not exactly his style, more of a guy that will run in a way so defenders have a hard time taking him down so he can slip through rather than straight forward plowing at the second level.

Browns made an awesome move, they are in the same spot they were in several years ago. Right side of the line has holes in it. Another Big 12 qb with no one to throw to exept a tight end they refuse to use, except now there is no guarantee that Richardson is anything special and no idea if he will produce. He could wind up being another Knowshon Moreno, plus he is coming off of a knee scope that was supposed to be minor but kept him out longer than expected, so they might have one good knee in the 2 main backs.

as far as the Patriots not grabbing Smith, now that I think of it I am kind of glad, since I forgot they picked up Gregory as a FA. I don't think they would put Gregory, Smith and Edelman on the field at the same time.

a ton of reaches in this first round like usual. Gruden found it hard to find positives for a bunch and he usually is giddy over every afflete. "showed glimpses..... with some NFL coaching" Pretty sure he was giving RGIII some backhanded compliments as well hah, all about how he will have to learn a complete new system. Seemed to like Weeden the most, but that seems to be how he has always been, likes older qbs.

Last edited:

Truthteller

Mentor
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but there were only four offensive lineman picked in round one and none were black. This has not happened since 1989, when all six offensive lineman drafted where white.

Why did this occur last night? Leading up to the draft several black offensive lineman were projected as first rounders. At one point, prior to running a stunningly bad 40, the guy from Stanford was seen as a Top 10 pick? Yes, the jock-sniffers felt he would drop some after showing limited athletic ability, but none expected him to drop beyond round one. Even Caste teams like Pittsburgh, Cincy and Detroit said no to him and the others.

Two factors could contribute:

One, there have been way too many black draft busts at offensive line in recent years. Rams have been drafting these guys high for a few years (one went #2 overall in '09) and they still have little to nothing to show for it.

Two, many of the first and second round white offensive lineman picked in the last few years have been very good. Teams like the Packers, Giants, Patriots, Chargers and Colts have built great offenses around mostly white lines in recent years. Heck, even the "white busts" at left tackle like Robert Gallery are still good enough to start at right tackle or can move inside to guard and still make a positive impact.

Gentleman, the most notable thing from last night was reaching double digits. Perhaps the first time since 1989? Next most notable thing had to do with the demise of the "summos" early in the draft. Hopefully this trend will continue, and NFL teams will view our guys as "safer picks".

Few more quick points:

While all the jock sniffers figured "only" the Patriots and Packers would pick Shea McCellin and Harrison Smith, it was nice to see new blood (Chicago & Minnesota) step up and pick them.

My guess is the summos will be drafted early in round 2, but hopefully we'll see a nice run of our guys (OL's) being picked in round two and three. Also, looking forward to see where our top 3-4 DE's (Wolf and Crick) will land. I don't follow the college football much, but do follow the NFL close. Seems like Clay Matthews opened the door for white OLB's in the 3-4...Is it possible J.J.Watt opened some doors for white 3-4 DE's? This is important, because standard white DT (in the 4-3 base) have pretty much become an endangered species for close to 20 years.

dwid

Hall of Famer
I would hope Watt opened up the door for White 3-4 DE's, although it would be nice to see for 4-3 defensive tackles to get a shot as well, it seems like most of the dlinemen picked tonight were reaches and they have been failing just as badly as black offensive lineman, except there aren't as many Whites playing dt to replace the position. I think Wolfe could play DT in a 4-3 as well as DE in a 3-4, Crick would better as a 3-4 DE. It seems like a few of our 3-4 DE's could play DT in a 4-3, Mike DeVito from the Jets, Igor who originally played for the Chargers and I think now with the Cowboys, Mike Wright from the Pats. Brian Young was under 300 and did fine as a DT in a 4-3. Now 3-4 DT is another story, that position seems hard to fill regardless of race, for Whites it seems most of the guys with the size for it are on the offensive side. We don't have many 340+ pound sumos but we have plenty of guys with builds similar to Ngata who can play 3-4 de or 3-4 nt, they might not be 330 or 340 but they can play. You would think coaches would realize that it isn't all about size, its about functional strength as well. Kelly Gregg's weight fluctuated from 300 to 315 and never had a problem handling the job as a 3-4 nt. They don't all have to be like Vince Wilfork and Casey Hampton over 330 (their playing weight both says 325 but no way they stayed at that weight)

did anyone catch the "highlights" of Poe? if thats all he has shown then I don't see how he will ever live up to anything. Then they made the comment "now that he is getting paid to play he will live up to his god given talent"....yeah that worked out great with guys like Jonathan Sullivan.

Last edited:

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
dwid,

What do you think of Stanford's Chase Thomas? And, do you think he'll get drafted? He hasn't been mentioned once in this thread..

Woody

Guru
Truthteller, great point about the lack of sumos drafted in the first round. I was surprised at it too and yes I think it is do to the COLOSSAL amount of sumo busts in the past 5 years. Even Tyron Smith was not enough to avoid the red-flaging sumos for (hopefully) some time.

I was quite honestly shocked by the amount of black DT/DEs drafted. 9 in all, in an widely admitted "weak" class. When 6 or 7 of them bust in the next few years while Watt and hopefully Wolfe and Crick succeed, hopefully this will usher in a wave of white DTs.

I do think Matthews has ushered in a wave of white 3-4 OLBs. Shortly after he was drafted Reed, Kerrigan, Barwin, and now McClellin have been drafted high. Some of them even look exactly like him! It is a copy-cat league though, so I guess that's natural.

I disagree about it being nice to see "black" teams go out of their norm and draft white players. The NFL is very careful to avoid mostly white teams, and year after year we see white teams draw back and go black. I would rather those players go to whiter teams. That being said I have no problem with Harrison to the Vikings.

Woody

Guru
I don't know if everyone already sees this, but the Browns were depressingly stupid this entire offseason and draft. When you think that they virtually wasted their 4th round pick to replace a player they let walk, and wasted their second pick to compete with a QB they didn't give weapons to, but they could have with the 4th pick, but they didn't so they also used the 21st pick on a QB to compete with the weaponless one, instead of giving him a weapon, but now they also don't have a weapon for the QB they just drafted, but if they had kept Hillis they could just have used both picks on weapons for the QB they have but ARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

Let me put it this way:
Option 1: McCoy and Hillis + Blackmon + Kendall Wright or OL for running game or DEF player.
Option 2: Richardson and Weeden.

Huge improvement right?

Tom Iron

Mentor
Gentlemen,

Pretty good first round for us. Of course, my Jets loused up their pick as usual. Ryan never saw a black guy he didn't like. I'm looking forward to the 2nd-3rd rounds. This is going to be a breakthrough year for White guys I think. I guess the powers that be are tiring of the black routine after so many years of it. Some people are slow learners.

Tom Iron...

Highlander

Mentor
It's inexplicable to me why Kellen Moore isn't getting more attention by the Caste press, GM's, coaches, scouts, pundits, whomever.

To me, he has the potential of being the left-handed version of Drew Brees. He was nails in college, making it look too easy sometimes. He has excellent pocket presence and is adept at reading defenses as well as going through the necessary checks and progressions with his receivers. He's a natural at this position.

No, he's not an "athletic freak" by any means, and he isn't going to "wow" anyone by his 40 time, arm strength, etc., but running a 4.6/40 and being able to chuck a ball 70 yards in the air isn't and shouldn't be the criteria used to judge an NFL-caliber QB.

Hopefully some savvy GM will recognize his innate talent and grab him soon.