Mask v Rahman

Alpha Male

Mentor
Notice how the powers that be never mention hockey as a sport where the boxing talent is. Here is a sport where the athletes are usually between 6 to 6'4,'' good height for a heavy, and some of them actually are better fighters than hockey players!!Edited by: Alpha Male

freedom1

Mentor
Yes, Maskaev hanging in there to win that fight, injury and all shows just how important desire and heart are in boxing.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The AP article by on the fight by Greg Beachamhas no shortage of subjective negative opinions and Caste System assumptions. AP holds a monopoly position among wire services so this is the report most Americans read. Examples:

"Some see Maskaev's belt as another indictment of a much-criticized division, but the less cynical can appreciate the thrill of a classic underdog story."

"He's the closest thing to an American champ in a downtrodden division long dominated by U.S. fighters."

"Though this Soviet bloc could alienate American fight fans, the division seems to keep its mystique no matter how many mediocre champions it produces."

Triad

Mentor
Here are of the heavyweight champions during the 1980's: Larry Holmes, Mike Weaver, Michael Dokes, Gerrie Coetzee (1st white in 23 years), Tim Witherspoon,Pinklon Thomas, Greg Page,Tony Tubbs, Michael Spinks,Trevor Berbick, James Smith, Mike Tyson, and Francesco Damiani. I don't recall any mention of weak division during these men's reign. And today's media expects us to believe today's Russians are mediocre and Mike Tyon is one of the greatest ever for ripping through those clowns.

Envision for a moment a Trevor Berbick vs Wladimir Klitschko fight, or Michael Spinks vs Oleg Maskaev, Pinklon Thomas vs Sergei Liakhovich, and would Michael Dokes even show up to take on Nikolay Valuev?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I read that one yesterday Don, and what a typical crock it is. Maybe they will learn one day, the day that WE are victorious!

aussieaussie

I agree Triad. When these caste representatives (99.9% of all sporting telecasters in all major sports) speak of the 80's as somehow being a powerhouse era in boxing one truly has to laugh. Triad said it best a few posts ago. I would say the only semi great fighters you had were Holmes, and mabye a young hungry Mike Tyson.(I think Tyson sucks as a person and a sportsman)You had a 6'1 215 pound Michael Spinks who would be demolished by any of the current champions. Tony Tubbs? Tony Tubbs would be ko'd very early by all the current champs. Pinklin Thomas? Might have a chance against Valuev. But all other current champs would put him in the hospital. Michael Dokes? Far too small, and slow to give any of the current champs a problem. Michael Dokes was a plodder and unfortunately for him he was about 6'0 220. Oleg is a bit of a plodder at 6'4 240. Dokes would be cannon fodder for all the current hw champs. Mike weaver? Give me a break. The mainstream press is at a loss for words right now. They are trying to explain away this white domination of boxing. I suppose from their standpoint they have to take these measures due to the immense amount of time, and resources that they have invested in portraying the black male as almost superhuman. The last thing the mainstream press wants is for the white male youth of the United States, Australia, Canada, England, and the rest of western Europe to see is blackmen beat into the ground by white men. The mainstream press wants our boys to idolize boy george, and the freaks from Queer eye for the straight guy. They do not want our boys idolizing Matt Hughes, Rich Franklin, Joe Calzaghe, Sergei liakovitch, or any other white man who acts like a man. American blacks should start praying that gridiron never catches on in Eastern European nations. LOL

JD074

Master
Triad, that was a brilliant argument. I've never heard of most of those guys.

Edited by: JD074

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
All the videos I click on have been removed, but I'll keep looking.

JD074

Master
Oops. You're right. I didn't click on the listings. I thought if the vids were removed the listing for it would be removed, too. I've only been using Youtube for about a week!
smiley9.gif

white tornado

Mentor
Someone please find a site where I can see the fight the Media is refusing to cover it, and it was taken off you tube.

Triad

Mentor
EXCLUSIVE REBROADCAST
Catch all the action again when HBO rebroadcasts Rahman vs. Maskeav II, Saturday August 19th. The replay will show prior to the Mitchell Williams fight and will begin at 10:05 PM ET.
--------------------------------------------------------
Interesting Quotes from HBO's boxing site:

HBO boxing said:
t's one of the most exciting things that can happen in boxing. A 12th round knockout. And in the case of a division long plagued with cries of dissatisfaction and stagnation, this was an exciting moment that could very well mark the beginning of a battle, not only between the Foreign Heavyweights, but also from each and every one of the Great American Hopes that rise up to beat them.

Maskaev said:
"I'm a proud Russian American," said Maskaev, who also knocked out Rahman in an earlier meeting in 1999. "There is a message to everybody that European fighters, they're tough and strong as athletes.

Sergei Liakhovich said:
"People want to see who the real heavyweight champion of the world is,'' Liakhovich said after Maskaev's victory. "I say to the public, I want to fight Wladimir Klitschko. Oleg had a tough fight. He needs rest. But me, I'm ready. If for some reason (Shannon) Briggs (Klitschko's likely next opponent) falls out for Nov. 11, sign me up. I'm ready.''

Bert Sugar said:
Not only did the result cement Rahman's legacy as that of being boxing's version of Milli Vanilli, a one-hit wonder--that one hit being his one-punch knockout of Lennox Lewis--but also left all four heavyweight championships in the hands of four Eastern Europeans from former Russian Republics.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I guess since American hopes is PC enough HBO can make any American a yankee doodle dandy hero. Will Brock say the pledge of alligiance before he gets pounded by Wlad?
smiley36.gif

Triad

Mentor
Here are some comments from Maskaev's trainer about his injuries.

The trainer's priorities are to get Maskaev's two main physical problems, a sore left thumb and an aching back, sorted out. Then, and only then, does Valle want Maskaev returning to the gym.

"People don't know this but, on a 1 to 10 scale, Oleg was only at a 2-3 level physically against Rahman Saturday night," Valle said. "I want him to go to Dr. (Charles) Melone to get the left thumb and his whole left hand checked out. We have to get that checked and rechecked by Dr. Melone. Oleg says there is nothing broken in the left hand and he does not want to go to the doctor but I told Oleg you can't see inside the hand. We need to get x-rays and see what the doctor says."

Maskaev dislocated his back while moving furniture, Valle said. This happened about three to four weeks before Team Maskaev shifted its training center to high altitude Colorado Springs.

"We were going to go up to Big Bear but then we heard Rahman was going to be up there," Valle said. "We didn't want to run into him so we decided on Colorado Springs and we got Dickie Wood to help us because he's got all the connections out there. Anyway, Oleg has a house in Sacramento and two houses in Staten Island. He was moving some furniture and he threw his back out. I was so pissed.

"I knew Oleg had a wounded back going into this fight but we kept it a secret. Now I want Oleg to rest his back and to get that left hand checked out."

Solomon Kane

Mentor
Bert Sugar wrote:

"Not only did the result cement Rahman's legacy as that of being boxing's version of Milli Vanilli, a one-hit wonder--that one hit being his one-punch knockout of Lennox Lewis--but also left all four heavyweight championships in the hands of four Eastern Europeans from former Russian Republics."

I saw part of the Bert Sugar interview on ESPN. It was good to hear him put down Rahman, but, if memory serves me, I got the impression that Sugar also played a few bars of "weak heavyweight field--no great boxers". Did any of you catch the entirety of that interview?

I caught all the ESPN interview with Maskaev. He seems to be a great guy---proud to be an American and grateful to be in America, but also proud of his (white) European Russian heritage. He said he had no problem scheduling a bout with Klitschko. But let's hope, as some have already noted, that the white on white championship-unifying bouts are delayed as long as possible,--at least until a few of the more obnoxious blacks hit the canvas. These Slavs got heart! They're obviously unimpressed with the bad-ass reps of the brothuhs, and they prove it with their fists! I can hardly wait for the awareness of the current state of affairs to seep into the consciousness of the black celebrities (assorted actors, hip-hop jerks, etc). Remember the Cooney-Holmes fight, when Jesse Jackson and other black activists openly and jeeringly sided with the eventually victorious Holmes?? It will be interesting to see if they show up for a real media boxing event---say Vlad against some mouthy buh-lack boxer--and the results go against them. Now that would be something to see!

And Thanks to the Shogun for the round-by-round account--
Looking forward to the re-broadcast!

Kaptain

Master
It was already rebroadcast last weekend by HBO. If you look for the cable information it may have been titled Paul William vs Vivain Harris??? or something like that. They rebroadcast it under this title before - showing it before the fight I just mentioned. Hopefully it will be rebroadcast again, or at least available on Cable Demand channels.

Hockaday

Guru
I caught several replays on HBO. Maskeav really surprised me.

That ref Jay Nady was really out of line about Maskaev holding. Even Larry Merchant got fed up with Nady's harping and told him to stop it. Several times Nady actually slapped or grabbed Maskaev's glove, right in the middle of the action. I can't ever remember a ref hindering a fighter while he's trying to defend himself. Mr. Nady needs a talking to.

Edited by: Hockaday

Bart

Hall of Famer
A friend just sent me an e-mail after watching the clip of the last round of Maskaev's fight.He asked me if I noticed what the announcers had to say. I confessed I vaguely rememberedbut reallydidn't play close attention as I was focused on the action. Hesaidone of the broadcasters seemed to praise the Russian fighters but the otherwas very upset. At the 3:38 mark he begins to whine with his voice breaking and sounds like he's choked up and at the point of tears! He said, ' Where have you gone Joe Louis ....a lonely boxing nation turns it's eyes to you. "
smiley19.gif

Joe Louis??? A lonely boxing nation?? A typical Caste Systemcomment delivered from the bowels of his heart. Who were the announcers? Shogun, anybody know? The black voice is supposedly that of Lennox Lewis from a comment I read.

Hockaday

Guru
Bart said:
Joe Louis???  A lonely boxing nation??   A typical Caste System comment delivered from the bowels of his heart.  Who were the announcers? Shogun, anybody know?  The black voice is  supposedly that of Lennox Lewis from a comment I read.

That was Larry Merchant. He's a big Joe Louis fan. And also a Simon and Garfunkel fan. And the intellectual voice that boxing so desperately needs.

Where have you gone, Howard Cosell.Edited by: Hockaday

Bart

Hall of Famer
Hockaday said:
That was Larry Merchant. He's a big Joe Louis fan. And also a Simon and Garfunkel fan. And the intellectual voice that boxing so desperately needs.

I Googled the voice boxing so desperately needs. Not really surprised...same ol' same ol'.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Down goes Rahman! Down goes Rahman!
smiley36.gif

Where have you gone black supremacy? A happy nation won't look back at you!
smiley4.gif

BTW, the Simon and Garfunkel song "The Boxer" is an ode to Cassius Clay. Yeah, it ruined my day when I found out several years back.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
The Boxer an ode to Ali? That's funny, look at the lyrics.

Note that he squandered his resistance for a pocketful of mumbles, HA! All Ali can do now is mumble, Also the visit to a whore, typical boxer. Overall the song is a depressing story of a boxer that is a loser. I find it hard to believe it's about Ali, as Ali was on top of the world when the song was written.

I am just a poor boy
Though my story's seldom told
I have squandered my resistance
For a pocketful of mumbles
Such are promises
All lies and jests
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest

When I left my home and my family
I was no more than a boy
In the company of strangers
In the quiet of the railway station
Running scared
Laying low, seeking out the poorer quarters
Where the ragged people go
Looking for the places only they would know

Lie la lie...

Asking only workman's wages
I come looking for a job
But I get no offers
Just a come-on from the whores on Seventh Avenue
I do declare, there were times when I was so lonesome
I took some comfort there

Lie la lie...

Then I'm laying out my winter clothes
And wishing I was gone
Going home
Where the New York City winters aren't bleeding me,
Leading me, going home.

In the clearing stands a boxer
And a fighter by his trade
And he carries the reminders
Of every glove that laid him down
Or cut him till he cried out
In his anger and his shame
"I am leaving, I am leaving"
But the fighter still remains

Lie la lie...

white is right

Hall of Famer
No offense(to Dempsey) but that sounds like Jack Dempsey's life more than Ali's life.....