Mask v Rahman

freedom1

Mentor
On top of everything else. Stefen Leko kicked a bunch of black guys asses in the most recent K-1 in Las Vegas. Check out the Sherdog site.

Charlie

Guru
Maskaev's current trainer is Victor Valle and his current promoter is Dennis Rappaport. Weren't these men the trainer and promoter for Gerry Clooney? If so, that's quite a story angle.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Valle is the son of Cooney's trainer. I was actually shocked at how old he was. Then I remembered Cooney fought close to 25 years ago and Valle was old then. Rappaport is the same Rappaport. He finally won his title, after just falling short with Cooney...

JD074

Master
Like you guys have already said, great commentary and kick ass photos! Shogun's right, he did look sceeeered! Phenomenal stuff.

Just think about it. This would've seemed impossible just ten years ago. I'm sure most of us remember the movie, "Great White Hype." There will never be a White Heavyweight champion. Well not only do we have a White HW champ, we have four of 'em!

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
white is right said:
Valle is the son of Cooney's trainer. I was actually shocked at how old he was. Then I remembered Cooney fought close to 25 years ago and Valle was old then. Rappaport is the same Rappaport. He finally won his title, after just falling short with Cooney...

Awesome. I didn't know that. Interesting that we were discussing Cooney and his trainers here on CF just before this fight. I guess they know how to manage their fighters after all.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I'm so glad The Mask won this fight! I'm gonna celebrate somehow. Thanks for the coverage guys, it was terrific!
smiley32.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here's part of an article I justr found. As you will see, there is still a way to go before most of the press takes white fighters seriously again. Good quote from Rahman though.

New American Hero

LAS VEGAS (AP) - The newest heavyweight champion is a 37-year-old father of four who emigrated to the United States 11 years ago to chase the American dream.

Oleg Maskaev captured it in a compelling fight against Hasim Rahman on Saturday, knocking out the WBC champ in the 12th round for his first title in a career many thought was over four years ago.
The former Russian Army officer who toiled for years with poor management and training - who was once knocked out three times in five fights - finally ascended to the top of his sport. Some see Maskaev's belt as another indictment of a much-criticized division, but the less cynical can appreciate the thrill of a classic underdog story.

"It's an honor," Maskaev said. "Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, it's great to be among great fighters like that. It's been a dream of mine for a long time."

Maskaev is talkative, charming and upstanding, with a comfortable life with his family in Staten Island in New York. Throw in his late-career flourish, and Maskaev is everything a heavyweight champion should be. And he's the closest thing to an American champ in a downtrodden division long dominated by U.S. fighters.

Rahman was the only remaining American-born heavyweight belt-holder. Maskaev's ascension leaves all four significant titles in the hands of fighters from former Soviet republics.

Though this Soviet bloc could alienate American fight fans, the division seems to keep its mystique no matter how many mediocre champions it produces. If heavyweight boxing can survive John Ruiz, Chris Byrd and Corrie Sanders, Maskaev should be a downright star.

In fact, there's genuine reason for a little buzz about heavyweights now: Maskaev and IBF champion Wladimir Klitschko hope to lead a revival of the weight class with more entertaining fights on the level of Maskaev's dramatic rally against Rahman.

"The heavyweight division finally has some action again," said Dennis Rappaport, Maskaev's promoter. "It's an exciting time."

Rahman, a two-time champion, had hoped to be in line to fight Klitschko early next year. Instead, Maskaev could get that fight in the autumn - and the 33-year-old Rahman faces yet another climb back to the top.

"I think we're a little spoiled," Rahman said, referring to American-born heavyweights. "They make too much money too quick. They lose sight of the grand prize."

Maskaev has his prize, and could get another soon: Rappaport said Klitschko adviser Shelly Finkel already asked whether Maskaev could be ready to fight Klitschko at Madison Square Garden in October, though the deal hasn't been completed.

"We're going to be fielding a number of offers, and we'll have a lot of opportunities," Rappaport said.

Maskaev started slowly and worked from the ropes too much, according to his trainer, Victor Valle Jr. Rahman dominated the punch stats, landing 47 percent of his blows to Maskaev's 28 percent.

I remember Rappaport claiming that if Gerry Cooney won the title, Cooney would be the biggest money-maker in the history of Sport. Cooney, for all of his liabilities, did have a lot of appeal. I remember leading up to his fight with Holmes, I heard a LOT of people say that they hoped Cooney would win.

white tornado

Mentor
No minchen of Maskaev on sportcenter but they did do a special of extreme poker(you play in an airplain and if you win you jump out) Man I'm pissed off.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
sport historian said:
I remember Rappaport claiming that if Gerry Cooney won the title, Cooney would be the biggest money-maker in the history of Sport. Cooney, for all of his liabilities, did have a lot of appeal. I remember leading up to his fight with Holmes, I heard a LOT of people say that they hoped Cooney would win.

I agree, there was a fair amount of suppressed white pride and white frustration leading up to the Cooney-Holmes fight that gained an outlet by rooting for Cooney only to be disappointed. It had a racially charged atmosphere. I think it's out there again now in a suppressed form looking for positive outlets, even more so.

Triad

Mentor
Here are some interesting points about the fight: Rahman's quotes about the fight and Maskaev's back injury. Can't wait on the replay next Saturday.

Rahman said he thought Maskaev's fight-changing left hook came after Nady had ordered them to break.

"I was aware of everything and the referee said, 'Break,' and I stopped and he kept throwing punches," said Rahman
, who earned $2.5 million. "To me, I felt I was winning the fight and I got caught with a shot. I thought we were supposed to break. I put my hands down and he caught me with a shot."

Maskaev was ahead on two scorecards, 106-103 and 105-105, while Rahman was leading on the third, 106-103. ESPN.com at ringside also had Rahman ahead 106-103.

HBO will replay the fight next Saturday night (10:05 ET) along with live coverage of the Paul Williams-Sharmba Mitchell welterweight bout.

Maskaev, 37, won despite a back injury in training camp that he concealed.

"I hurt my back during training camp and I never felt 100 percent through the fight," said Maskaev , who made $1.5 million. "I knew with three rounds left I had to win them all to win the fight. I had been working in camp on my left hook. I got used to him as the fight wore on. His jab was very effective but I moved to the right side to avoid the left jab."

Hockaday

Guru
After the fight I watched my local news cast. The little dweeb half something or other sports anchor found room in his broadcast for an "Ultimate Frisbee" tournament and a model sports car racing contest, but said nothing about the fight. I think the outcome was too unPC for him.

Thank God for the East Europeans. Too many white American males nowadays aren't interested in being a man any more.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
That last sentence of yours Hockaday is dead on accurate. Too many push over, feminized, dweebs. The older I get, the more nauseated they make me!
smiley11.gif

Hockaday

Guru
You're in Utah, Colonel Reb? Beautiful state. I lived in Salt Lake in the eighties. Was at work when the Jazz drafted John Stockton. We all looked at each other. A six foot white guy? The first game came and we watched him play. It was high fives all around.

I understand Utah ain't what it was. Still, it has to beat the former Golden State, where I am living and watching the crap creep northward toward me.

Alpha Male

Mentor
The "all the great boxers are in the NBA or NFL" story is spreading on www.eastsideboxing.com

They just can't have a white guy win without some excuse can they.It's not like these fighters beat American whites to gain their title. They all beat black fighters. I guess any guy in the NFL or NBA could mop the deck with the likes of Chris Byrd, Hasim Rhaman, Lamon Brewster, or Sam Peter.Edited by: Alpha Male

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Notice that they didn't mention baseball, strong man competitions, MMA, or even pro-wrestling as places where you might find boxing potential. Why? Because those sports are not dominated by black men.

It's funny how all these black fighters who were going to be the 'saviors' of the heavyweight division have gone down to defeat at the fists of white men:

Chris Byrd, once described as the 'slickest and most skilled heavyweight in decades,' has been outboxed and beaten twice by Wladimir Klitschko.

Lamon Brewster, with his heart and knock out power? Out-gutted and out-punched by Lyakhovich.

Sam Peter? Wow! He was going to plow through the division and unify the belts within two years. Out boxed and almost KO'd by Wladimir Klitschko.

Lets not even mention Audley Harrison, Monte Barrett, Ray Austin... and the next one to go down will be Calvin Brock.

These black fighters have been over-hyped and did not produce. The white fighters get ZERO hype but continue to win with thrilling performances. You haven't seen one of them yet in a tentative slap-fest like the last snoozer between Rahman and Toney. White men get in the ring to WIN THE FIGHT, instead of trying 'not to lose.'

Without the caste system in place in football, they wouldn't dominate that, either.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Alpha Male said:
The "all the great boxers are in the NBA or NFL" story is spreading on www.eastsideboxing.com

Now that is FUNNY! Everyone knows the most patheticboxers in the world are NBA players.The only punch capable of finding a target is the sucker-punch!

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I imagine most of the NBA players would fair in boxing as well as Michael Jordan played baseball.

And let's not forget the stellar boxing careers of NFL standouts Ed "Too Tall" Jones and Mark Gastineau.
smiley5.gif

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
From an article at Eastsideboxing:

Some people say the referee should have stopped the fight sooner to save Rahman further humiliation. Before calling the fight, Maskaev was pounding on Rahman so hard, Rahman was holding on to Maskaev's legs, as if he was begging him to stop. After the fight was over, people rushed the stage, as if it was another "Sworn Enemies" bout. However, Security prevented the crowd from entering the ring, punching at them and letting them know they were not coming into the ring.

No one was more disappointed than Rahman's son, for he left the arena, crying and sobbing so hard, you would swear we were at a funeral. I'm sure Maskaev was feeling on cloud nine, as he finally shut the famous hype-man on Rahman's team up with the brutal beating he put on Rahman. I guess you really do have to watch out for the quiet ones. Rahman predicted and let his crew talk him into a beef match and Rahman could not back any of it up. It was like he only trained to go six rounds....

Mild-mannered, Calvin Brock, was at the post press conference, facing off with Sergui Liakhovich, as their next fight was announced; he had a very biased opinion about the fight.

Rahman's behavior and that of his entourage speaks for itself. Its amazing to me that people in these United States of America, black or white, can root for someone who has a 'hype' man and idolizes gangsta culture.

I will be looking for quotes on Brock's 'very biased opinion,' and will post as available.

JD074

Master
Triad said:
Rahman said he thought Maskaev's fight-changing left hook came after Nady had ordered them to break.

"I was aware of everything and the referee said, 'Break,' and I stopped and he kept throwing punches," said Rahman
, who earned $2.5 million. "To me, I felt I was winning the fight and I got caught with a shot. I thought we were supposed to break. I put my hands down and he caught me with a shot."

He is LYING, LYING, LYING. What a coward. What low class. How undignified. Instead of being humble in defeat like Chris Byrd, he has to LIE about his defeat. Typical. I guess his hype man couldn't talk him out of this one.

I saw the 12th round on Youtube and I studied the moment where Rahman first got in trouble. I watched it several times! There was no clinch, Maskaev stepped in and landed a right and a left, Rahman's hands were UP during those punches, not down like he claims, and the referee's lips were not moving. So either Rahman is a shameless, lying coward, or he's a schizophrenic hearing voices, because his story is 100% FALSE.

Now, as for that 12th round, it was awesome! A great blend of action, comedy, and racial pride! Maskaev beating him down seriously, Rahman holding on for dear life, including falling down and holding on to his leg a la Jeff Van Gundy! 37 year old Maskaev was clearly tired, but managed to apply enough pressure and power to beat down Rahman so badly that he was literally sitting on the rope, crouching in the corner until Nady mercifully put him out of his misery. Rahman's LIES notwithstanding, there is no controversy here.

After seeing both Maskaev/ Rahman beat downs, it seems to me that Rahman has zero recovery ability. Anbyody can get rocked by a big, strong HW like Maskaev. But once Rahman gets hurt he just can't get his legs back at all.

Can you imagine if Rahman was white? With his weak chin/ inability to recover, along with his Jeff Van Gundy impersonation, he would be ridiculed mercilessly.
Edited by: JD074

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I wish I could see that. It looks as if all of the youtubes are taken off now.
smiley19.gif

Triad

Mentor
JD074 said:
He is LYING, LYING, LYING. What a coward. What low class. How undignified. Instead of being humble in defeat like Chris Byrd, he has to LIE about his defeat. Typical. I guess his hype man couldn't talk him out of this one.

I figured as much, it took a while for someone to comment on that.

Also, Maskaev's back injury may explain his poor performance in the early rounds when he had us worried. WS's round by round commentary said he "looked old" and "tentative" - a hurt back will make you look real and feel old. It took a lot of heart and character for Maskaev to:
1. not reschedule the fight, and
2. knock him out. Edited by: Triad

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Triad said:
JD074 said:

I figured as much, it took a while for someone to comment on that.

Also, Maskaev's back injury may explain his poor performance in the early rounds when he had us worried. WS's round by round commentary said he "looked old", "tentative", "lazy", etc. - a hurt back will make you look real and feel old. It took a lot of heart and character for Maskaev to:
1. not reschedule the fight, and
2. knock him out.

I agree, the fact that he did not disclose his injury and went on to win the fight, especially in such convincing fashion, speaks volumes about the heart, character, and toughness of Maskaev.

I've hurt my back in the past and felt I could barely roll out of bed in the morning, let alone fight a 12-round heavyweight championship fight!
smiley36.gif

Sorry that I am posting this comment late, but I was at the Jersey Shore for a few days surfing, and I have no computer there.

Anyway, lets all express our feelings about the outcome of this fight, in a way that our rivals (you know who) will understand...

Thats right sucka, we bad!

I didn't see this fight immediately because I refuse to pay fifty bucks to the "powers that be" for pay-per-view, so I caught it on the computer today. I think that all of us on this site collectivly knew that this day was coming. It was only a matter of time before we had all four heavyweight divisions under control, and here we are.

However, it has been brought to my attention that many ESPN news clowns are still not giving Whitey his props in the boxing world. Wassup wit dat? But seriously, it appears that these idiots will search far and wide for any reason to bash us, and they always seem to find one. We could be pounding on minorities in the ring one-after-another, such as we are now, and they STILL don't want to admit whats happened. Sick.

Then they go into this philosophy mode about "where are all the 'good' black fighters?" Oh the black fighters are still here, they're just not as good as they thought they were, and anyone with half a brain is starting to realize it.

ok, I've ranted enough, I'm out of here. In closing, I want to give a shout out to my main man Maskaev, big ups to playboy for winnin' dat fight, Yeeeeah.

(I hope most of you on this site realize that I'm just being humorous, and I don't actually use ebonics.)