Mask v Rahman

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I will be posting a round by round play by play of the Maskaev v Rahman fight on this thread between rounds.

Stay tuned, last preliminary bout just finished.

White_Savage

Mentor
From those of us who too cheap to shell out the $50, much obliged bro.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Maskaev and Rahman both look ready. Maskaev looks down during the stare down.

Round 1 - Rahman jabbing, lands a good right. Maskaev tentative. Maskaev lands hard right. Twenty seconds left, Rahman lands good stiff jab, Maskaev throws good combination in return, quick flurry.

Rahman 10-9

Round 2 - Rahman landing more, cleaner, crisper punches. Forgot to mention, Rahman warned twice for kidney shots, once each round. Maskaev cut over left eye, ruled accidental head butt. Bad location.

Rahman 10-9

Edited by: White Shogun

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Round 3 - Maskaev throwing combinations, lands several hard shots. Rahman pushing his way in, throwing occasional rights. Maskaev landing more and harder shots, but Rahman rocks Maskaev hard. Maskaev comes back, lands more hard shots. Maskaev looking a little tired, fighting lazy, dropping his arms.

I'd give it to Maskaev, but I know it is:

Rahman 10-9

Round 4 - Rahman dominating. More combinations, harder shots. Maskaev looks old, throws an occasional combination. Rahman stalking Maskaev around the ring, doesn't look concerned about Maskaev's power. Rahman warned again for kidney shot.

Rahman 10-9

Lederman card 10-9 Maskaev.

Round 5 - Maskaev throwing harder, more combinations. Warned THREE TIMES by Jay Nady not to hold. Maskaev is not holding NEARLY as bad as many other heavyweights I've seen, including Wladimir, and especially not Johnny Ruiz.

Maskaev 10-9 Edited by: White Shogun

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Round 6 - Jay Nady is a broken record, STOP HOLDING. He is cautioning both of them for different things everytime they get within 2 ft of each other. Even Larry Merchant is complaining about Nady.

Maskaev by far landing more combinations, stiffer and harder punches now. Rahman basically following Maskaev around the ring.

Maskaev 10-9.

Lederman has the fight three rounds to three.

Round 7 - Rahman comes out jabbing, Maskaev stuns Rahman at 1:30 in the round. Rahman comes back with the jab. Nady nagging constantly, Lennox, Merchant and Lampley are all complaining that Maskaev is not holding and doesn't deserve the constant warnings by Nady.

Maskaev 10-9. Edited by: White Shogun

Triad

Mentor
ESPN has it 4 rounds to 2 Rahman through Round 6. Thanks for the posts WS, I'm one of the poor guys that can't watch it live.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Round 8 - Both men tired, Maskaev looks the worst. Rahman hits Maskaev a few really hard shots, wondering if Maskaev can stay up. Maskaev fends him off, Rahman tires, both men finish with a flurry with 10-15 seconds left. Nady warning Rahman for holding.

Rahman 10-9.

Lederman has it 4 rounds a piece.

Round 9 - Both men very tired, lots of leaning on each other. Rahman trying to jab, Maskaev throwing decent 1-2 combinations in spots. Maskaev landing more, good shots, but Rahman's seem harder.

I give the round to Maskaev, but believe the actual score card will read:

Rahman 10-9. Edited by: White Shogun

White_Savage

Mentor
Lums, the positive visualization and prayers the Gods I do during a fight like this may not help, but defeatist comments certainly don't.
smiley4.gif
Edited by: White_Savage

lumsdenpower

Mentor
i really want that Maskaev won for the 4 champions are white but if the match go to the last round I will not be optimist..

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Round 10 - Maskaev looks old for seconds at a time, then throws 5-6 body shots that hurt Rahman. He has been doing this for a few rounds. Rahman stops the body shots by throwing a left or right to the head, backing off Maskaev. Maskaev landing more shots now than Rahman, but Rahman's seem the harder punches.

By volume, I'd give the round to:

Maskaev 10-9. Edited by: White Shogun

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Round 11 - Rahman leaning on Maskaev so heavily he falls into the ropes when Maskaev sidesteps. Maskaev easily seems to be outpunching Rahman in this round, harder shots, more combinations. Lennox and Lampley discussing a possible loss by Rahman to Maskaev by decision.

Maskaev 10-9

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
MASKAEV BY KO!!! MASKAEV BY KO!!!</font>

Triad

Mentor
YES!!!!!!!!

Poacher

Mentor
Holy &%$#! ALL FOUR HW BELTS NOW BELONG TO WHITE MEN!

WAR OLEG!!!!

Goodbye Rahman your career is now OVER.

Oleg's superior heart and character carried the day.

Edited by: Poacher

White_Savage

Mentor
Beautiful!

Hail to Maskaev for battling right to the end of a bitter contest. A true warrior of the Northern tradition.

Hail to the Holy Powers, for helping our man to gain this victory which will erase the many insults that have been hurled against the fighting spirit of our people.Edited by: White_Savage

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Round 12 - Rahman comes out, within seconds must return to corner to have his glove retaped.

Within seconds, Maskaev puts Rahman on the canvas, almost through the ropes.

Rahman gets up, and the WWE match is on. Maskaev almost put Rahman down again, but Rahman literally grabs Maskaev by the waist and tries to tackle him. He goes down, and is clutching Maskaev and Nady by the legs. Both men extricate themselves from Rahman's clutches, and Rahman gets up. Maskaev comes back but Rahman literally has to be PEELED OFF of Maskaev. I mean, Nady actually has to literally FORCE Rahman to let go of Maskaev. Nady is pulling and tugging on Rahman's arms and pushing him to make him let go of Maskaev. Its ridiculous. Nary a warning for holding from Nady, either.

They separate finally, and Maskaev goes off. He throws right after right into Rahman's face, and Nady finally steps in to stop the fight.

Compubox shows Maskaev throwing 100+ more punches, but actually landing 60+ less than Rahman overall. In other words, Maskaev hurt Rahman worse, with fewer punches.

It was a great fight.

MASKAEV BY KO!</font>Edited by: White Shogun

White_Savage

Mentor
White_Savage said:
Lums, the positive visualization and prayers the Gods I do during a fight like this may not help, but defeatist comments certainly don't.
smiley4.gif

You guys will have to take my word for this, but sitting right in front of my computer, not even able to see the fight, I was visualizing sending beneficial energy to Maskaev and thinking in my head, "He's dead tired Oleg, turn it on Oleg, the only way to win for sure is KO..."

Coincidence? Maybe, at this point I'm not worried about it. Like I say, what can a little voodoo hurt?
smiley2.gif
Edited by: White_Savage

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
It has been my pleasure to serve as your broadcast boxing announcer this evening, brothers.
smiley4.gif

Bart

Hall of Famer
Nice job White Shogun, I thought I was at ringside! I would think Gary would have a few choice comments in store for us. And way to go White Savage, my knees were buckling for a moment or two, way to rally the troops. Edited by: Bart

Triad

Mentor
White Shogun said:
Round 12 -
Within seconds, Maskaev puts Rahman on the canvas, almost through the ropes.

Rahman gets up, and the WWE match is on. He goes down, and is clutching Maskaev and Nady by the legs. Both men extricate themselves from Rahman's clutches , and Rahman gets up. Maskaev comes back but Rahman literally has to be PEELED OFF of Maskaev. I mean, Nady actually has to literally FORCE Rahman to let go of Maskaev. Nady is pulling and tugging on Rahman's arms and pushing him to make him let go of Maskaev. Its ridiculous. Nary a warning for holding from Nady, either.

They separate finally, and Maskaev goes off. He throws right after right into Rahman's face, and Nady finally steps in to stop the fight.

Great post!!!
smiley20.gif
The visuals were awesome and hilarious. You write much better than the professional responsible for the ESPN wrap-up:

From ESPN.com:

Round 12
It's the final round and it's close. The referee stops the fight with 2:34 left to have the tape on Rahman's glove cut off. The fight resumes, and a left-right combination by Maskaev knocks down Rahman. Maskaev goes in to finish it, hitting Rahman relentlessly with rights. Rahman holds on to Maskaev, only to be separated by the referee. Rahman is wobbling; Maskaev senses the victory. The fight is stopped as Maskaev bashes Rahman in the corner.

Oleg Maskaev scores a TKO at 2:17 of the 12th round to become the new WBC heavyweight champion.

freedom1

Mentor
Let's see if I have this straight:

IBF Wlad
WBO Liakovich
WBA Valuev
WBC Maskaev

John Ruiz is going to fight Chagaev (the white Tyson) and there's a whole raft of other Eastern Europeans coming up through the ranks. I could've never dreamed this up during those years I followed guys like Cooney and Morrison.