Kevin Love

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Kevin Love should have some shoe endorsements by now. The guy is a force. If the Twolves can become a playoff team, he might just become the biggest U.S. born star since Bird. He can do it all. Maybe he will help some of our other american born kids get a fair chance. I love watching this kid play. He is a superstar!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I forgot to add that Millicic had 10 points in the 1st quarter alone last night before he got hurt. I hope it's only a minor injury as he is finally getting some confidence again. Love needs all the help he can get.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
The negative thing at this point is how poor the T-Wolves record is. If I remember correctly they have the second worst record after the Clippers. I enjoy watching them as Ridnour, Milicic, and Love are three talented whites they play.

I watched the beginning of that Knicks-T-Wolves games a few days ago. Milicic had 10 points half way through the first quarter and was scoring at will on Amare Stoudamire. I was hoping he would have a huge game but he left half way during the first quarter and never returned.

hawkeye

Guru
He is having a great season to bad the T-wolves are horrible. Beasleys okay the rest of the team is and NIT level team.

j41181

Master
Another 20-20 game for Love, despite another disappointing Wolves loss (110-103 to Thunder).

22 points, 21 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal

I think it's normal for a player of Love's age (just 22) to endure this kind of hardship. When Dirk, Nash (in Dallas), and Gasol (in Memphis) were beginning their careers, it was on losing teams. Great players OFTEN start on losing teams. The struggles of the Wolves (and Raptors) is no surprise, considering their among the NBA's youngest teams.

Teams like the Wolves (and Raptors) make perfect back-drops for players like Love (and Bargnani) to raise their games to another level. Both players are already having giant leaps individually.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Kevin Love is incredible. He is the Peyton Hillis of the NBA. The numbers he is putting up are unbelievable. Just imagine if you had Love, Lee and Nowitzki all on the same team. Wow would that be fun to watch. Kevin Love is going to be an All Star for a long time. He is a force to be reckoned with. I love it.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Love is now averaging 20 points per game. That would have gave us six white players averaging 20 points or more but Pau Gasol has fallen out with 19.8 points per contest.

guest301

Hall of Famer
whiteathlete33 said:
Love is now averaging 20 points per game.  That would have gave us six white players averaging 20 points or more but Pau Gasol has fallen out with 19.8 points per contest.  

I have not seen Kevin Love play this season. How is he getting most of his points, jump shots or posting up with his back to the basket?

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
guest301 said:
whiteathlete33 said:
Love is now averaging 20 points per game. That would have gave us six white players averaging 20 points or more but Pau Gasol has fallen out with 19.8 points per contest.

I have not seen Kevin Love play this season. How is he getting most of his points, jump shots or posting up with his back to the basket?

I haven't either. I only saw some of the Knicks-T Wolves game but it looked like he had quite a few jump shots as well as runners.

guest301

Hall of Famer
whiteathlete33 said:
guest301 said:
whiteathlete33 said:
Love is now averaging 20 points per game.  That would have gave us six white players averaging 20 points or more but Pau Gasol has fallen out with 19.8 points per contest.  

I haven't either.  I only saw some of the Knicks-T Wolves game but it looked like he had quite a few jump shots as well as runners.

Come to think of it, it was probably a dumb question for me to ask since the NBA is not really about anybody playing in the post anymore, almost a lost art. Pau Gasol's got some tricky Kevin McHale type post moves but you don't see much of that anymore.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
guest301 said:
whiteathlete33 said:
guest301 said:
whiteathlete33 said:

I haven't either. I only saw some of the Knicks-T Wolves game but it looked like he had quite a few jump shots as well as runners.

Come to think of it, it was probably a dumb question for me to ask since the NBA is not really about anybody playing in the post anymore, almost a lost art. Pau Gasol's got some tricky Kevin McHale type post moves but you don't see much of that anymore.

Guest301, I wish I could watch a lot of T-Wolves games this season. They usually have 3 whites starting with Love, Milicic, and Ridnour. Milicic has improved considerably and may finally have found his home in the NBA. Unfortunately this team isn't exactly one that will be shown on national tv this season. No way I'm paying for the NBA package so I could watch them.

I've pretty much lost interest in the NBA except for following some of our guys. The good ole' days are long gone.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Darko finally playing up to his potential and practically nobody gets to see it.

j41181

Master
Kevin Love has 23 points & 15 rebounds today (bad 113-82 Wolves loss to Bulls). IMHO, Kevin Love plays a lot like Nowitzki (mid-range, 3-pointers), although he's a way, way better rebounder.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
And they didn't play him in the 4th quarter... I wanted him to get 2 or 3 more boards..

j41181

Master
Another strong game for Kevin Love (23 points, 16 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal). Darko Milicic follows up his career-high (25 points last night) with 16 points, he was solid on defense (3 steals, 2 blocks).

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I'm happy for Darko. He looks to have found a home in Minnesota and he's improving. If he was given an opportunity to develop earlier in his career I think he would have been at least a top 10 center. He's only 25.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
16 points and 18 boards for Love, as the 'Wolves defeated Cleveland.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Here is an article I found on Kevin Love. It was written by Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated. He gives love credit for his tremendous season but the caste speak is very apparent. Also he says Love maybe better than Jayson Williams and Dennis Rodman. Really? Both of those guys were one dimensional players who were good rebounders but not much else. The writer takes a shot at Love's body and also claims he's not very athletic.

<div><div style="text-align: left; text-decoration: none; border: medium none;"><div id="cnnSCFonts">
<div id="cnnSCFontMinusBtn">
textsize_minus_d.gif
textsize_minus_l.gif
</div>
<div id="cnnSCFontPlusBtn">
textsize_plus_d.gif
textsize_plus_l.gif
</div>
</div>

<div> <div>
love-rebound.jpg
</div><div>Kevin Love grabbed 24 boards in Boston (a TD Garden record) while scoring 12 points for his 30th double-double of the season.</div><div>Elsa/Getty Images</div> <div> </div>
<div>&lt; id="qas_frm" name="qas_frm" method="get" ="" target=""&gt;&lt; name="ie52_mac_only" value="" =""&gt;</div>

</div>

BOSTON
-- There is no style to Kevin Love's rebounding -- no flash, no flair.
He doesn't yank down one-handed boards, doesn't elevate and catch them
above the rim. He doesn't overpower anyone in the trenches either, not
at a listed 6-foot-10 (yeah, right) and with a body that could use the
Tony Horton treatment. For the 22-year-old Love, rebounding is a
science, a mixture of technique, intelligence and tenacity that he has
blended together to transform himself into the best rebounder in the
league.

Indeed, keeping Minnesota's Love off the glass has
become a virtually impossible task. Big teams, small teams -- no one has
had much success. He yanked down 31 rebounds against the Knicks in
November on his way to becoming the first NBA player in 28 years to have
a 30-point, 30-rebound game. About two weeks later, he grabbed 22
against San Antonio; three nights later, he grabbed another 22 against
Golden State. He hasn't had a single-digit rebounding performance since
before Thanksgiving, and his average (15.6) is more than two boards per
game better than No. 2 on the list, Dwight Howard (13.2). In Monday's
96-93 loss to the Celtics, Love had more first-half rebounds (15) than
everyone else combined, and he finished with 24 to go with 12 points. It
marked his NBA-best 30th double-double and set a TD Garden record for
most rebounds.

"Guys like him," said Shaquille O'Neal, "come around once every 10 years."

Love
is the franchise player the Timberwolves have sought since they shipped
Kevin Garnett out of town in 2007. He has drawn comparisons to Dennis
Rodman and Jayson Williams and, in fact, may be more skilled than both.
He is years away from his prime and his developing offense -- his
scoring (20.6 points per game) and three-point shooting (42.5 percent)
have skyrocketed this season -- suggests the best is yet to come.

The question is, Will those years come with the Wolves?

It
hasn't been a smooth two and a half years for Love in Minnesota. He has
clashed often with second-year coach Kurt Rambis -- mostly over playing
time -- and although Love says the relationship has improved and that
the two "are far more on the same page than we were," there are still
rocky moments. With two minutes to go in the third quarter against
Boston, Rambis sent rookie Wesley Johnson in for Love. An exasperated
Love, who felt he had a good matchup with rookie Luke Harangody, argued
with Rambis on the sideline until Rambis waved him toward the bench.

The
losing has worn on Love, who desperately wants to win. And while Rambis
points to the progress Minnesota has made this season and GM David Kahn
talks about making the playoffs next season, the Wolves still have a
long way to go. The core of the NBA's youngest team includes the
unpredictable Michael Beasley and the unproven Johnson. They have lost
all confidence in the No. 6 pick in the 2009 draft, Jonny Flynn, and
plan to replace him with Euroleague superstar Ricky Rubio next season.

Love
sees all of this, has absorbed it, processed it. Which is why he is
complimentary of the Timberwolves' progress -- "I can see a light at the
end of the tunnel," he said. "I couldn't see it last year" -- but he
stops short of saying he plans to be in Minnesota for the long term.
Love is eligible to sign a contract extension this summer but admits he
does think about free agency, about having some control over his future.

"We'll
see what happens with what David Kahn and the front office want to do,"
Love said. "If it's right, it's right. If it's not, it's not. I could
end up somewhere else. I just want to play for a team that wants to win
at this point. At this point, I just want to win now."

Wherever
Love goes, he won't come cheap. The five-year, $60 million extensions
signed by Joakim Noah and Al Horford last year will likely be Love's
starting point in negotiations. And his deal could be bigger. When asked
what kind of contract Love could be in line for this summer, one league
executive's answer was succinct: Max.

Then there is this:
Love told SI.com that during last summer's World Championship in Turkey
he had conversations with USA Basketball teammates Russell Westbrook
(who played with Love at UCLA) and Derrick Rose about the possibility of
someday teaming up in the NBA. Oklahoma City's Westbrook and Chicago's
Rose are also permitted to sign extensions this summer.

"We
all talk about playing together," Love said. "It's fun to talk about.
When the time comes, we'll assess the situation and figure it out."

Minnesota
will have to assess the situation, too. Quickly. The Timberwolves have
one more year until Love can become a restricted free agent, one more
year to shore up the roster. If they don't, it won't be long before the
team Love will be controlling the boards against is them.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/chris_mannix/01/04/kevin.love/index.html#ixzz1A774ZnRv</span></div></div>

Edited by: whiteathlete33

The best comparisons are to Moses Malone and Larry Bird (3 point shooting and passing along with the points and rebounds).

Rodman is an all-time great but he is more like a combination of Moses Malone and Larry Bird.
Rodman is one of the all-time greats. Maybe he can pick up some tips from Rodman, namely how to play harrassing defense and how to get in the head of opposing players. Plus, Rodman has 5 NBA rings and also played on some good Spurs teams.

Bart

Hall of Famer
-- "There is no style to Kevin Love's rebounding -- no flash, no flair.
He doesn't yank down one-handed boards, doesn't elevate and catch them
above the rim. He doesn't overpower anyone in the trenches either, not
at a listed 6-foot-10 (yeah, right) and with a body that could use the
Tony Horton treatment. For the 22-year-old Love, rebounding is a
science, a mixture of technique, intelligence and tenacity that he has
blended together to transform himself into the best rebounder in the
league."

No body, no style, no flair, no charisma, no room brightening smile, no NOTHIN. All technique, no athleticism whatsoever. Pffft! Just think what he could do if he had an ounce of athletic ability.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
pistol pete said:
The best comparisons are to Moses Malone and Larry Bird (3 point shooting and passing along with the points and rebounds).

Rodman is an all-time great but he is more like a combination of Moses Malone and Larry Bird.

Rodman is one of the all-time greats. Maybe he can pick up some tips from Rodman, namely how to play harrassing defense and how to get in the head of opposing players. Plus, Rodman has 5 NBA rings and also played on some good Spurs teams.

Yes, Rodman was certainly a good defensive player and rebounder. He had no offensive game though and Kevin Love does. That's why I take offense to the comparison.

Flashy rebounding? Isn't that an oxymoron?

snow

Mentor
yes Shaq was a really flashy rebounder :) haha. Kevin Love is one the top guys in the NBA right now and there is nothing they can say to discredit that.