Joe Jurevicius

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Schroeder was constantly in Holmgren's "doghouse." He returned kickoffs and fumbled once andHolmgren never let him returnkicks again. After several years of kicking around the league in typical white WR style, being drafted by Green Bay, cut by them and New England and ending up back with the Packers, he became a starting WR by default because the team had no semi-decent blacks after Antonio Freeman.

Even though Schroeder was a great athlete and a very good receiver -- going over 1,000 yards in '99 and gaining 999 yards in '00 -- he was Holmgren's favorite whipping boy, along with Travis Jervey. Schroeder was the most hated player in the NFL even though he never did anything on or off the field to earn the label. He was even blamed for the sudden and rapid decline of Freeman, as though it wasn't Freeman's own fault.

The hate Schroeder mentality began with Holmgren's attitude toward him, which the media and fans picked up on and used as their excuse to take out their own racial frustrations and self-loathing on Bill.

Bart

Hall of Famer
KJV1 said:
Unfortunately they didnt showJoe on the sidelines after that play. I was wondering what was going on.

Joe was probably hiding behind the Gatorade barrel, knowing Holmgren would try to choke him to death if he found him.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Holmgren is a sell out pig if you ask me. He should be one of the Redskin's Hogs.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
It is so frustrating to root for guys like Jurevicius.The coaches just refuse to start these guys unless they are forced to.Joe Jurevicius,Kevin Curtis,Brandon Stokley,Brian Finneran,Matt Jones,etc.could all get 1000+ receiving yard seasons if they would just start them and throw to them 10 times a game.Is that too much to ask?These guys can help you win just as much as anyone.Get over the,we can't start a white receiver bias.What a joke.I can't wait for the day that they are treated equaly although that day may never come.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
It's ironic that Joe just disappeared tonight.Where was he in the big victory?It looks like all is well with the Caste System.This sucks.

Kaptain

Master
White players rarely get the benefit of garbage time stat building. With the Seahawks comfortably ahead from the start, why anger the blacks in the lockeroom by throwing to the "white boy"?

whiteCB

Master
The guy just continues to impress and become a fan favorite in Seattle. He is without a doubt the best WR on the team as Jackson is a joke and Ingram is so overrated. Did anyone else see that sick grab he had in the back of the endzone that was overuled.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Darrell Jackson may return next week, so we'll see if Joe is demoted from his current status as the team's number one receiver to riding the bench behind Jackson and possession receiver Engram. Joe's been one of the most productive receivers in the league, but given that Engram is another of those "revered" black veterans who must always be given great respect, it wouldn't be surprising to see Jackson and Engram starting next week.

whiteCB

Master
Don if Jackson gets the starting nod over Joe next I will be fumeing as will the fans in Seattle. All Jow has done is be the most productive WR on the team, make great grabs, and lead the tam to an 8-0 record being a starter. Tough Holmgren will just give us some b.s. as how an injury should never cost a palyer his starting job or some other crap.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
CB, I don't think there's any question Jackson will be a starter again, it's whether Holmgren will keep Engram in as a starter over Jurevicius even though Joe is a better and more productive receiver by any measure.

Holmgren isa long-timeCaste System true believer who said last year that ultra-jerkoff Koren Robinson was "like a son" to him. We know from past history that Holmgren doesn't consider Bill Schroeder, Travis Jervey, Jesse Lumsden and Jerheme Urban as "sons" while Engram undoubtedly is a pseudo-member of Mikey's family. Will he bench Jurevicius and his great productivity and talent to please Engram? Nothing surprises me in the Caste System NFL.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Why can't white fans ever root for a white receiver?Joe Jurevicius is easily the best receiver they have had in a long,long time.They need to stand up for this guy.Imagine the career he could have had if he wasn't screwed over countless times.He is lighting everyone up when they throw him the ball.What a joke!!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
As I expected, as of now Jurevicius is headed to backup status behind Darrell Jackson and Bobby Engram. Here's the latest from Holmgren, starting with a question asked of him about the receivers and then his responses:

How will time be divided among the receivers with the return of Jackson?

"We started the season [with Jackson and Engram], and I liked the combinations that we had at the beginning of the season where Bobby (Engram) and Darrell started, (and backup WR) Joe (Jurevicius) played a lot. I would suspect, while[Jackson] would be ready to play in a football game, I don't think he'll be ready to play as many snaps as he did at the beginning of the season. He's coming off an injury. It's a nice problem to have and I feel good about it."

Will Jackson end up starting?

"I think if he's healthy and ready to play we'll start him."

bigunreal

Mentor
Just another example of why it doesn't matter how productive a player
is- if he's white, he just cannot start (or at least not for long) at
the forbidden skill positions in the NFL. Kevin Curtis is in exactly
the same situation, although Isaac Bruce is admittedly a much better WR
than Bobby Engram. Jurevicious and Curtis should complain, but they
won't. White players never do. This is also another reason why I
believe that NFL games are fixed. If these coaches, whose livelihoods
depend upon how many games they win, are purposefully not starting the
most skilled players because of an outside social factor like skin
color, then the whole competiton thing is a farce. If all you care
about is winning, then you play the best players. If you are swayed to
play smaller, slower, more disruptive and less productive players for
poltical reasons, then it's certainly not far- fetched to suppose that
the same forces that compel you to do this will also see that certain
"special" players (see Mike/Michael Vick, for instance) and teams (see
Jimmy Johnson's thug-laden Cowboys, for instance) succeed.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Fox announcers said on pre game show that Joe was crucial to hawks success this season... too bad that he had to go back to slot with return of Jackson... show me a receiver that was as productive as JJ especially in the red zone!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Jurevicius signed a four-year contract with Cleveland. The Browns have highly touted Braylon Edwards, who was injured most of last season. Hopefully Joe will be the other starter. His main competition looks to be Antonio Bryant, who is talented but is a real head case who may be traded or released. At first glance this looks like a smart move by Jurevicius.

G

Hey Don, Bryant is a free agent so Joe should have the other starting wideout position locked up. Joe is returning home to Cleveland to finish out his career which is pretty cool for him and I am happy for him. He will look good in the Browns uniform. I am a Steeler fan but will be rooting for Joe just like I do all the white players in the league.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Let's hope the Browns don't make an effort to keep Bryant. He's the clown who threw the towel in Bill Parcells' face and who used to rant and rave at teammates and coaches during games when he went to Pitt, among other idiocies.

If Jurevicius starts he should do very well as long as Charlie Frye doesn't struggle too much.

Edit: Just found this: "The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that Antonio Bryant, who is the fifth player in franchise history to post a 1,000-yard receiving season, likely won't return to the team. The Browns are saying the the wideout wants to test free agency, and although it isn't saying so publicly, the team won't make an big effort to bring him back, the newspaper reports."
Edited by: Don Wassall

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I hope Joe starts there and for several more seasons. It will help the WR cause out a lot if a veteran like him is still making big contributions.

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
This is a great fit for Joe. They also signed Shaffer the LT from Atlanta so 2 good signings for Romeo and his Browns.. and they are looking into taking a LB in round 1 so they could draft Greenway.. and be a team that fields a good amount of whites since they did field a good amount this year.

JoeV

Guru
Jurevicius coming home is sweet! I actually played against him in high school, he torched my team obviously! It is also way cool to get LeCharles Bentley back in Cleveland. The Shaffer signing was a little expensive, but he looks like a stud. I am getting pumped for the draft now to see how the Brownies bolster up the defense.

guest301

Hall of Famer
I just moved to the northeast Ohio area a few months ago and I'm trying to learn how to be a browns fan despite their ugly uniforms
smiley2.gif
..Signing Joe Jurevicious goes along way into making me a fan.

whiteCB

Master
I told you guys so. I just knew Joe would sign with the hometown team. You guys have no idea how pumped up I finally am for a Browns season. Expect to see a lot of Jurevicious jerseys being worn this fall becuase they will without a doubt be a hot selling item. Fans here in Cleveland really like the fact that Joe's coming home and we all know how good he is from his days in high school(D3 player of the year in Ohio). The contract was 4 yrs. 10 mil so Joe will be sticking around for a while. He's the first white WR the Browns have had since little used Darin Chivarinni played about 5 years ago and he'll be the first to be starting since Brian Brennen in the 80s. Joe along side Braylon Edwards will be a deadly combo as both players are over 6'3. Pencil Joe in as the starter and having a career year!

Kaptain

Master
Bad news:

Joe Jurevicius, WR CLE

News: According to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, WR Joe Jurevicius, one of the Browns' biggest off-season acquisitions, is expected to be out at least four to six weeks with broken ribs. Jurevicius will undergo an MRI exam today to confirm the early diagnosis, but Jurevicius most likely will miss a significant portion of the season. He was replaced by Joshua Cribbs, who dropped one pass and had one other thrown out of reach. Jurevicius was apparently injured on a 20-yard catch on fourth down in the first quarter that was called back by a holding call. The pass would've given the Browns a first down at the Saints' 25.

backrow

Hall of Famer
bad news indeed... and 1000 yard season will probably be out of his reach...