Joe Jurevicius

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Don't you just love it how Joe finally came back from a serious knee injury followed by a serious back injury, has a great game with two touchdowns, and immediately is relegated to backup duty by Jon Gruden?

He was probably the best known and most liked white receiver coming into this season, based on his big game against Philly in the NFC championship game two seasons ago, followed by a tremendous Monday Night game to open the '03 season when he made two sensational touchdown catches. Also, he nearly lost a young child to illness, which generated sympathy for him.

For all his rehab, as a reward he gets the same treatment from Gruden as Schroeder received. Schroeder had a big Monday Night game early in the season then never saw the field again before eventually being cut. Now Jurevicius, a very gifted receiver who should be starting, is getting the shaft as well. Gruden, who summarily cut Danny Farmer in the preseason, now has to be considered as anti-white as any coach in the NFL.

Kaptain

Master
I have been noticing this and actually been expecting it from Gruden. I didn't know until now that he was for sure benched. You'll remember Alstott during tampa's superbowl year.Pittman was recieving almost all the carries until Alstott confronted Gruden. The next week Alstott got the ball and had an amazing performance. The following weeks he was again a blocker for pittman. Virtually the same type of thing happened to Shroeder and then Jurevicius this year. He was the difference on that team that won the SB. That offense had no big play makers on it until they started using him. Now he is getting the shaft. Gruden sucks.

IceSpeed

Guru
Jon Gruden has always seemed to be very pro- Caste System. Yes,
an fast, white quarterback, Rich Gannon, thrived under him in
Oakland. However, his "renowned offensive system" frequently
seems to favor some black players(not all) that want to push the
Hip/Hop, racketeering, criminal culture.

Michael Pittman is a prime example of this.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Gruden began coaching the Bucs the season after Warrick Dunn left Tampa for Atlanta. Dunn's presence was always the excuse given for why Mike Alstott was never the featured runner during the Tony Dungy era. When Gruden was hired, he gave lip service to Alstott being one of the runners being considered as the team's main back, but he never received a chance. Pittman, Thomas Jones, Charlie Garner and a slew of lesser known backs were all brought in and given a shot as the featured tailback, but never Alstott. At this point in his career it's too late now anyway, but the A-Train can be added as yet another white scalp in Gruden's ever-growing collection.

speedster

Mentor
It's a drag that Bill Shcroeder was cut because there was still something left in the tank.Does anybody know why Schroeder is so universally hated in the NFL,particularly by his former Packer teamates?Could it be because he is an individual and didn't embrace gangsta,rap and hip hop culture?

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The only conclusion that I can come to is that it is by
far mostly just a coaching decision.I agree with the post
above about Gruden being very unfair towards white athletes.I think Jurevicious will be the next to go.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Joe was waived today by Tampa. Gruden has now completed the ethnic cleansing of Tampa at the receiver position. Alstott had to restructure his contract and take a big pay cut to stay with the Bucs.

I liked Tampa when they won the Super Bowl with Jurevicius, Alstott, John Lynch, Brad Johnson (who was also cut today), etc., but now I very much hope they keep losing as long as Gruden is the head coach there.

Joe turned 30 in December, he could easily have three or more seasons left now that he's healthy again. He has a lot of talent, more than enough to start for quite a few teams. We'll have to wait and see what happens with him.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I was brought to castefootball this past NFL season because I was sick
of the McNabb hype. I was shocked and amazed when I read the great
articles and posts here, detailing the caste system's pernicious
effects on sports in America, from pee wee to the pros.

And sad to say, despite all the reading I've done here since then, that
I was STILL surprised when they cut Joe Jurevicious. He is an
outstanding receiver, I remember his great games like the rest of you,
in the NFC championship and the Super Bowl.

Who are they gonig to start in his place? IMO he was the best receiver the Bucs had.

Alstott is lucky he is a fan favorite or he'd be cut as well, contract restructuring not withstanding.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the board, White Shogun!

Here's the Caste Football archives on Jurevicius (I wasquite wrong about Gruden's intentions to utilize Joe in a big way!):

JOE JUREVICIUS

(9/17/03) Off to a nice start and receiving national acclaim after his two outstanding TD catches in Week One, Jurevicius collided with teammate Mike Alstott in Week Two and is now expected to miss four to six weeks of action with a torn MCL in his right knee.

(9/11/03) JJ made two simply outstanding touchdown catches in the season's first Monday Night Game. Jurevicius helped Tampa ruin the inaugural game in the Eagles' new stadium by making his first TD snag in the far left corner of the end zone, leaping to snag Brad Johnson's throw and then somehow bringing both feet down just in bounds. The follow-up was just as good, as near the end zone Joe tipped a pass intended for him that he couldn't catch up into the air, eluded a defender, dove into the endzone, , located the ball and made the catch.

Most players would be happy to have one TD catch like that per season, if not for their entire career, but Jurevicius made two in one night. He is clearly a big-play receiver who seems to thrive in big games and who should be Brad Johnson's main red zone target this year.

(9/01/03) Jurevicius is one of those rare white receivers who hasn't made the most of his chances, appearing to coast too much with the Giants, who gave him quite a bit of playing time.

If he is ever to become a top-notch NFL receiver, this would appear to be the year all the stars are in alignment for that to become a reality. Keyshawn Johnson is a slow possession receiver, and Keenan McCardell is a slow, aging possession receiver. Jurevicius is as tall as Keyshawn, and faster, and is taller and faster than McCardell.

Brad Johnson is a smart, accurate passer who finds the open man. Jurevicius' 70 yard catch-and-run in the NFC title game against Philadelphia showed the entire country his ability. Head coach Jon Gruden said in an interview with Playboy that Jurevicius would catch more passes in 2003 than Johnson and McCardell. That may just be hype, but it shows that Gruden acknowledges Jurevicius' talent and his apparent willingness to use it. Given that the Buccaneers have no other receiving threats to challenge him, this needs to be the year that Joe steps it up and becomes a 1,000 yard receiver.

Jurevicius finished the '02 season with 37 receptions for 423 yards and 4 TDs.

(9/26/02) Jurevicius was the Bucs' clutch receiver in the season-opening loss to the Saints, but had just two catches in the next two games.

(8/21/02) Fortunately, Joe Jurevicius has a fast-burning metabolism, or he would have been forced to gain 30 pounds and become a tight end, the pass-catching position whites are supposed to play in the caste- NFL and which various pundits projected Jurevicius would end up at in the NFL despite burning defenses for an outstanding career average of over 20 yards per catch at Penn State during his college career. I still remember Chris Berman of ESPN when the Giants drafted him in the second round, starting to call him a possession receiver until he saw the graphic showing Jurevicius's great yards per catch average and he quickly stopped midway through the word "possession."

But though he has tight end height at 6'5", Jurevicius is too thin to play the position. Besides his lofty yards per catch average, he also led Penn State in receptions in 1996 and '97. Drafted in the second round by the Giants, Jurevicius' reception total has gone up in each of his four seasons â€â€￾- from 9 to 18 to 25 and finally to 2001's respectable totals of 51 catches for 706 yards and 3 TDs.

Signed by Tampa Bay in the off-season, Jurevicius was originally projected to start alongside fellow giant receiver Keyshawn Johnson, but that plan was scrapped when the Bucs went after and signed Keenan McCardell. Jurevicius is now slotted as the number three receiver in the Bucs' overhauled, Jon Gruden-designed offense.

Jurevicius needs to take advantage of the opportunities presented to him in Tampa as he was his own worst enemy at times with the Giants, dropping too many catchable balls.

Kaptain

Master
In Tampa's super bowl year, the one guy that made them a different team than the Dungy teams of the past was not John Gruden, but Joe Jurevicius. They finally found a big play weapon that changed the Tampa offense into super bowl champions. Mike Alstott will be next - he might make it through this season but after Tampa sucks again he won't. Why is it black stars are never removed from their starting positions no matter how poorly they play? I hope Joe goes to a team that will actually use him and he sticks it to his former team - like he did to the Giants.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I would like to see him go to the Chiefs.Kansas City
needs receivers as bad as anyone in the nfl.There is
no reason that their te Tony Gonzales should have to
be their leading receiver.That is sad.If not there,I
hope he goes somewhere where he will start.Good luck
to one of the classiest receivers out there!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Hopefully Marc Boerigter successfully rehabs his knee injury and plays for the Chiefs this year. It looked like he was going to get the chance to be their main wide receiver last year before he went down in the preseason. He'll still be only 27 during the '05 season. I'd like to see him come back and Jurevicius sign with another team that will use him. Quite a few NFL teams have only one quality receiver, some not even that.

speedster

Mentor
Joe Jurevicius will sign with another team real soon,I'm sure of it.He is too good a wideout not be taken by somebody.In fact he will probably be snapped up within the next couple of weeks.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I sure hope your right speedster.I so sick and tired of
teams cutting these guys or never playing them in the
first place.Jurevicius and Dwight even though imensley
talented,almost have to cross their fingers & hope.It
happens over and over.Look at Danny Farmer who should
have been another Bennett.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I've yet to hear of any team showing interest in Jurevicius. Big suprise, he's the wrong color. Travis Taylor, a five year NFL bust after being a first round draft pick, just signed with Minnesota. After signing him the Vikings released a statement to the effect that Taylor would shine now that Daunte Culpepper would be throwing to him (rather than those white losers in Baltimore).

Aperennial bust like Taylor is seen as able to replace Randy Moss as a starter, while Jurevicius would never be considered even though he is taller than Moss and can stretch the field and is a proven producer when healthy.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I'm not positive Don but I thought that I heard that the
Bucs signed him to some kind of practice squad because
of the medical waiver.I think the Bucs after releasing
him,resigned him to the reserve squad.I personally would
rather see him go where he will be appreciated!

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I saw a rumor report that says he has visited with the Seahawks.
Hasselbeck could sure use him, considering the number of passes his
current crew of wideouts dropped this past season.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I hope he gets a shot somewhere, but the way it's going doesn't look good for Joe.

okra63

Guru
Joe Jerivicious is a great wide receiver. Just because he is injured doesn't mean he needs to loose his job as a starter.

Okra, he's not injured, which makes his situation that much more pathetic. He's only 30, still in his prime for a receiver, and healthy. He's a proven talent who has a touch for not only highlight reel catches but important ones as well. And he's six foot five. I guess not a single NFL team could use a receiver with such a resume, not even as a backup. Whites need not apply.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Exactly right winger.Joe was the Bennett before he
became a star.Then look at Danny Farmer.He is 6'4
with speed and incredible jumping ability.They really
screwed him over.He never even got a fair chance.I
hope some how that both of these guys find a roster
spot.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Jurevicius visited with Seattle on Wednesday. No other team has shown interest thus far.

speedster

Mentor
I said on Mar.5 that Joe would probably get signed within a couple of weeks.He signed with Seattle on the Mar.25,so I was off a week.Told you so.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I hope he sees some serious playing time. If they bench him, they will be wasting some serious talent.