Joe Jurevicius

Rise

Guru
Great news, results from the MRI show no broken ribs. Joe will be out this sunday and is listed as week to week.

espn

That is very good news
smiley32.gif

backrow

Hall of Famer
hopefully Dan Morgan can bounce back after his fifth (?) concussion... he is out this week...

bigunreal

Mentor
From today's FFMastermind web site:

Joe Jurevicius told the Browns that he couldn't take the pounding of a second receiver, and asked to become a No. 3.

We sound like broken records when we state the obvious here: no black player, at any level of competition, would EVER ask to be demoted like this. This is another primary example of how difficult a task we face in overturning the Caste System. It truly appears as if few, if any, of the white players we feel so much empathy for WANT to be helped. They're kind of like battered women rejecting any offers of assistance. It really is getting hard to care at all about these stupid, self-loathing white players.

backrow

Hall of Famer
there we go again, mister know it all...
you're talkin about Joe Jurevicius here... this is the guy that was travelling between hospital (where his infant son was diagnosed with a mortal case of sialidosis) and Bucs games during Bucs Super Bowl run and kicked some serious ass and got hi team their win versus the Eagles after his great 71 yard effort...

he took a beating across the middle time and time again and will be 34 by December... he simply knows his limits and that's fine by me, we have a plethora of black former stars hanging on til they are so useless and broken down they become ridiculed league-wide...
plus he would most likely berelegated anyways, what with their new "superstar" Stallworth just signed...

he knows his priorities, he's had a decent career hampered only by the color of his skin and is a true white warrior.

bigunreal, stick to your half-assed conspiracy theories dude.

bigunreal

Mentor
First of all, you made one of my points for me. As a typical white "slot" WR, Jurevicious has taken far more hits as a #3 receiver than he ever would as a #1 or #2. So, his excuse that he "couldn't take the pounding of a second receiver" is absurd. It's laughable, at any rate, to consider the love taps that the much smaller CBs would apply to a good sized Jurevicious as a "pounding."

I have made my positions clear; I don't blindly support any white athlete. If they are objectionable to me, as in the case of someone like Brett Favre, I don't care how well they perform. If they are wimpy and self-defeating, as is obviously the case with Jurevicious, then I have begun to lose the ability to care if they get shoved aside for less talented blacks.

Yes, I am aware that Jurevicious played so well in Tampa Bay's Super Bowl win while dealing with a terrible personal tragedy. I certainly felt empathy for him and admired his ability to do that. However, after that great performance (which came while playing behind immortals Keyshawn Johnson and Keenan McCardell- something I'm sure Jurevicious was perfectly fine with), did this earn Jurevicious anything at all, except the momentary sympathy and respect of the jock-sniffers who normally hate on "his kind?" No- he went on to Seattle, where he was predictably moved to that "slot" position, and where he again outperformed the derelict, hands of stone black WRs in front of him.

This is supposed to be a site about the Caste System. If we just cheer for every white player who is allowed to play by the overlords of the corrupt system, without mentioning the way those token whites not only don't fight the system, but actually seem to revel in it, then how are we even addressing the problem, let alone providing any possible solutions?

I simply posted a snippet from a fantasy site, where Jurevicious is quoted as requesting that he be demoted to the "white"" #3 WR role. He may be the nicest guy in the world, and certainly has been discriminated against, but he clearly wants to be discriminated against. I'm sorry, but that's something no black would ever do. This kind of incredibly stupid and self-loathing behavior on the part of white players is one of the many essential parts of the Caste System.

backrow

Hall of Famer
man, how is it selth loathing? maybe he simply had enough? he has always been injury prone, so you can't assume he's in a perfect shape. read my arguments... it's not like he's 26...

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I agree with both of you. I admire Jurevicius for his play on the field and by no means think of him as a wimp. Yet, bigunreal is right, the black players who would request a demotion like this can be counted on one hand, and I'll be damned if I can even think of one of them right now.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Ditto to what Shogun said. This development is pretty frustrating to say the least.
smiley5.gif
smiley7.gif

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
I've loved Joe for his entire career, from Penn State, the Giants, the Bucs, the Seahawks, and now the Browns. He's been amazing...

However, I cannot understand why any athlete would make such a request? As Bigunreal pointed out, it's quite foolish, similar to digging your own grave for your NFL career. If that's what he wants, then fine...but I'll never again be angry when he warms the bench all game long, despite being one of the best WRs in the AFC North.

I too felt horrible for the loss of his son. In typical media fashion, it almost seemed like the "interview" (by ESPN or some other parasite network) with Joe and his wife was more of an exercise in explotation. It seemed like the media, as usual, was just using Joe's tragic loss just to boost their f*cking ratings. Truely sickening to watch.

I love Joe as a player, nothing can change that. Statements like this make me wonder why I care so much, you know?Edited by: Thrashen

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Well, I'm thinking Joe wants to warm himself to the new guy Dante Stallworth. Let's face it Jurevicius at 34 was at most going to be the number 2 for one more year before Dante took over in the caste NFL. Maybe Joe realizes that he is a better fit for a #3 WR than Dante and just wants to help the team, ala your typical white team player.

This doesn't really bother me that much though b/c I don't see Joe's production dropping as the 3rd WR. Joe was already underutilized last year as Edwards and Winslow were Derek Anderson's favorite targets. I don't think Joe will ever go over 1000 yards in a season in his career, but I have enjoyed him as a player.

And BTW I also admire Dante Stallworth for not wrecking havoc when he lost the number 2 WR job to Welker in NE. And Stallworth is still a solid starting WR IMO. Prediction Joe gets his 500 yards receiving next season which is close to the 600 or so he had this season. If I was a coach and I had to pick either Jurevicius or Stallworth to start it's basically a push, both these guys are average starting WRs and Dante is younger. I guess you could say this is not ruining my day, Joe will do just fine and he's had a good career.
smiley4.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
<H1>Former Cleveland Browns receiver Joe Jurevicius sues team, doctors, Cleveland Clinic over staph infection</H1>

Former Browns receiver Joe Jurevicius has filed a civil suit in Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court against the Browns, the Cleveland Clinic, former team physician Dr. Anthony Miniaci and current team physician Dr. Richard Figler, for negligence and fraud that he alleges led to a staph infection that might have ended his NFL career.

The suit claims that the Browns and their team physicians failed to warn Jurevicius that sterile techniques were not at all times used at the Browns training facility in Berea; that therapy devices passed among multiple individuals, including Browns players, were not properly maintained and/or cleaned, if at all; and that community equipment and frequently used surfaces were not properly cleaned, if at all.

Jurevicius, a former star at Lake Catholic High School, maintains that he contracted staph in his knee because he was not warned and because Browns staff members did not tell the truth about maintenance and cleaning of the Browns facility.

Browns director of public relations Neal Gulkis did not immediately return a call for comment.<A name=more></A>

Jurevicius issued the following statement through his attorney, Shannon Polk:

"I wanted to play out my career for my hometown team. I hate that it all came down to this, especially over something preventable. But this problem goes beyond me -- it touches every player who trusts what they are told about the care they are being offered. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the support I've received from the fans over the past few years. It's really helped me through a difficult time in my life.''

Jurevicius underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right knee on Jan. 7, 2008 and began his post-operative rehab at the Browns facility. On Jan. 21, 2008, his right knee became swollen, he was unable to walk, and he experienced severe shaking and chills. The next day he was diagnosed with a staph infection. Since that time he has undergone seven medical procedures designed to eradicate the staph.

The Browns released Jurevicius on March 12, rather than pay him a roster bonus. He was due to make $2.4 million in the final season of a four-year contract he signed in 2006.

"The Browns held their training facility out as a world-class place for care and treatment and extended it to their players and others like a hospital," Polk said. "Joe could've gone anywhere to rehab after his offseason surgery. He chose to accept care and treatment from the Browns staff and the Cleveland Clinic physicians because he trusted and believed what he was told about the staph problem. It turns out he shouldn't have.''

Click to read an October 2008 story on staph infections' impact on the Browns.

Jurevicius' staph infection was one of seven publicized incidents of staph infection the Browns have had since 2003.

"¢ Tight end Kellen Winslow Jr., traded to Tampa Bay this offseason, suffered two. His first case came in 2005 after surgery to repair a torn knee ligament in which he was hospitalized and lost almost 30 pounds. The second was last season.

"¢ Former Browns center LeCharles Bentley remains out of football after suffering a staph infection that he said was life-threatening. The infection was diagnosed shortly after surgery to repair a torn tendon in his left knee in 2006.

"¢ Jurevicius' infection surfaced two weeks after his arthroscopic knee surgery in January of 2008.

"¢ Receiver Braylon Edwards missed two games during his rookie year in 2005 with a staph infection that had to be surgically removed from his right arm.

"¢ A recurring staph infection in an elbow all but wiped out former safety Brian Russell's 2006 season.

"¢ In late 2003, former linebacker Ben Taylor wound up in the Cleveland Clinic for five days with a staph infection after reporting to practice with a scratch near his elbow and flulike symptoms that worsened during the day.
The Browns may have tried to bring Jurevicius back for this season at the NFL minimum salary of $845,000 for veterans of 10 or more years -- the same concession made by offensive lineman Ryan Tucker. General manager George Kokinis talked with Jurevicius' agents about a deal at the NFL Combine. "We tried to work something out and it just ended up not coming to a conclusion," Kokinis said then. ". . . Joe's done a lot. I know what he means to this team."

In a statement issued at that time by agent Mark Humenik, Jurevicius indicated there was more than money involved in the Browns' decision.

The statement said: "As a Cleveland native and lifelong Browns fan, I always hoped to finish my career in brown and orange with my family and friends in the stands, and was even willing to take a steep pay cut to keep that dream alive, which is why I have such a heavy heart today."

Jurevicius, a native of Timberlake, Ohio, said at that time he will "forever cherish the three seasons that I spent here and will never forget the chills that I got whenever I stepped foot on the field on the shores of Lake Erie."

A marriage of Jurevicius and new coach Eric Mangini seemed doomed from the start. In December, Jurevicius was one of the few players to speak out publicly and endorse the Phil Savage-Romeo Crennel management team. He felt the 4-12 season in 2008 was an aberration caused by injuries and roster immaturity. He appealed to Lerner to stay the course.

Jurevicius played in three Super Bowls with three different teams in his career before signing with the Browns in 2006. In that off-season, he joined local products LeCharles Bentley and Bob Hallen, both centers, and punter Dave Zastudil in using free agency to return home to play. Only Zastudil remains.

- Background information from previous Plain Dealer stories was used in this report.
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2009/06/joshua_gunter_the_plain_dealer.html

whiteCB

Master
Here are the other Browns Staph Victims List:

LeCharles Bentley
Ben Taylor (white OLB)
Braylon Edwards
Brian Russell (a caste ftbaLL Favorite)
Kellen Winslow