white lightning

Hall of Famer
Well guys,we have 3 stud wide receivers in Kevin Curtis,
Drew Bennett and Brandon Stokley.All 3 of these guys have
established themselves.Especially Stokley & Bennett both
going over 1000 yards last season.Curtis belongs there
because he didn't play much most of the season and had
3 straight games at 100 or better at the end of the
year.He belongs on this list with his world class speed!
My question to the board is who out there now on the
current teams can possibly step it up to the next level
if given the chance.I'm not talking about tight ends
either.Only wide receivers other than the 3 mentioned.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I guess I should at least start with 2 or 3 guys and
the board can add more new names.I will go with 2 old
guys and one young guy whos been screwed over so far.
I will say J.Jurevicious,M.Boerighter,and Danny Farmer.
Honorable mention will go to David Kircus if Detroit will
just play the kid more and throw him the ball.They don't
call him "Circus Kircus" for nothing!

speedster

Mentor
This is a bit of a streach,but I'll go with Kevin Walter of the Bengals.He's got a lot of work ahead of him,since Houshmandzadeh,Johinson and Warrick are the top targets,but Walter has come a long way in a short amount of time,going from a late round pick of the Giants who ended up putting him on waivers,then the Bengals picked him up and put him on their practice squad and from there he made the Bengals 53 man roster and caught 3 passes for 18 yards.That was 2003.This past season he played all 16 games and had 8 receptions for 67 yards.He had a big career at Eastern Michigan but is looked at as the typical white pass-catcher and that is,in his case,a big-bodied posession receiver.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I agree about Walter. I think he could have stepped in last year and played well. Houshmandzadeh was consideredas purescrub material before last season and look how he did when given an opportunity.

Looking at how the caste system works, I'd say Boerigter has the best chance of having a good year in '05, perhaps even more so than Curtis, who looks to be stuck behind Bruce again this year. Boerigter is still young. If he completely rehabs from last year's knee injury he could be the first or second receiver on the Chiefs.

A friend and I were talking about how the Steelers could have signed Jurevicius to replace Plaxico Burress. Joe is just as tall and more talented than Burress, but Pittsburgh went out and signed the mediocrity known as Cedric Wilson, a smurf who is nothing more than a journeyman type. Joe would be ideal for their offense, but the reality is that Bill Cowher will never start a white wide receiver, even one like Jurevicus who could probably be signed at a cheaper price than Wilson.

Guys like Jerheme Urban, Aaron Hosack, Layne Danielson, Nate Jackson, Nathan Black and others are unknowns but all have excellent athletic ability. Potentially any or all of them could be stars in the NFL. Hopefully the Colts won't totally screw over John Standeford after what he went through with the Redskins last year. Any of these guys could perform very well as regulars, but realistically I think we're going to have to wait for Matt Jones and some of the stars in college we've been following. It'll be interesting also to see what happens with Chase Lyman. He was leading the nation, averaging an incredible 29.6 yards per catch last year before blowing out a knee and has already come back far enough to run an excellent 40 at the Combine.

Yeah all theose guys like Stokley, Curtis and Bennett are gonna be real good and fun to watch. Now i say that the one guy you all didnt talk about is Matt Jones. If he doesnt get screwed over and gets picked lets say 4th or 5th round by a team that isnt stable a WR then he is gonna go wild in the NFL. At 6'6" 245 pounds and 4.4 speed this guy will be one of the best in the game. I first thought that the move to WR would be a bad thing but i think its the best thing to happen to white guys to date. Just think of how much tv time he will get and the plays he will make. Hes gonna bring alot of help to all the white guys that are gonna come into the NFL. No longer will it be said that only black WRs are able to be great. All I Hope Is That Jones Gets A Chance.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Good points by all of you.I do disagree though on Kevin
Curtis.He will now be the number 2 starting receiver and
will have tons of balls thrown his way.With his speed
and runs after the catches,look out.I hope Lyman,Sheldon,
and Jones all get a good chance to play good minutes.
Urban,Hosack,Danielson and many others could play a big
factor if only given the chance.It's only March and I
can't help but think about football!
smiley36.gif

G

Somehow, I just don't see CURTIS placing as much more than slot-receiver, even on a team like MARTZ's Rams...Much like with the Safety spot, non-black receivers really only seem to make in-roads on starting rotations when they much exceed 6'...BENNETT, MCCAFFREY, JUREVICIUS, SHROEDER, JEFFERS, BOERIGTER...all 6'3"+...I guess there was CHREBET...I'll be surprised to see CURTIS (or STOKLEY for that matter) appearing as an every-down-flanker without the benefit of injury to players ahead on the rotation.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Kevin Curtis will prove everyone wrong.Mike Martz has
even said that he is easily the fastest player on the
whole team including cornerbacks.This kid has amazing
athletic ability and the knack to know how to make
people miss!I see him being their #2 wideout!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
White Lightning I hope you're right about Curtis starting this year. I'm just wary, knowing how the caste system works year in and year out. One thing for sure though is that Mike Martz has spoken highly of Curtis on quite a few occasions. Here's just one exampleof manythat can be found on theInternet:

"Rams Coach <B style="COLOR: black; : #a0ffff">Mike Martz[/B] has been raving about Curtis' blazing speed and route-running since taking him in the third round of the 2003 draft. He never got started his rookie season after a broken leg in the preseason, and this year, shin splints slowed his progress for a time. I'm just glad it's behind me," Curtis said. "I'm feeling healthy now." Curtis is accustomed to delays. He's old for a second-year player - 26 - because before becoming a star at Utah State, he served a two-year Mormon mission. He opened Martz's eyes when he caught 171 passes in two seasons at Utah State. 'You put the tape on, and the first thing you would say was, 'Wow,' " Martz said. 'It didn't make any difference who he played; he was running by everybody. 'I'm not sure I've ever seen anybody in college that fast. I really mean that'." [end of article snip]

That's the thing about Curtis too -- he'll be 27 this season, equivalent to what most receivers are in their fifth or sixth year. It would be a true waste for him not to be a starter in '05. Let's hope Martz does the right thing and moves Curtis to number two and Bruce to number three.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
David Kircus was arrested for a DUI. That will undoubtedly seal his fate with the Lions. Steve Mariucci has never played white receiversand the team hasinvested heavily in WRs in the draft the past three years -- Charles Rogers, Roy Williams, Mike Williams, all first round picks. They also signed journeyman Kevin Johnson this offseason.

There are a lot of teamsKircus could do well for but in the Caste System NFL it's always a crapshoot whether or not a talented white receiver ever gets a chance or not. More like a lottery actually, with about the same odds as Powerball.

[url]http://www.mlive.com/lions/grpress/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/ 1120056556146600.xml[/url]

IceSpeed2

Guru
Eddie Berlin could have a good year with Chicago too. He still
has a lot of years left in his career I think because he has not taken
too many hits.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Berlin should do good in Chicago.They need alot of help
on offense.I am anxious to see how Seattle looks this
season with a couple of white receivers and of couse,
Jesse Lumsden getting some opportunities.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I sure wish that Seattle would play Urban full time.He is
far too talented to be sitting as much as he does.They
just don't seem to appreciate what he brings to the table.
He is very fast and he has great hands.I hope he can have
a little bit more of a break out season in his limited
opportunities.Wake up Seahawks and start this kid.

Bear-Arms

Mentor
There is someone named Taco on Seatle, but I didn't find Urban on the depth chart. I think Chicago will use Berlin as a punt returner if he is lucky. I don't think Lovie Smith favors white players.Edited by: Bear-Arms

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
My sister works for a inner city public school system. She gets lists of the names of the kids. It's a total laugh: Champale, LeBaron, Chanel, Winston, they seem to name their kids like the American Indians did, after the first thing they saw after they were born...you know, like: Running Deer, Dances with wolves, two dogs f**king.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
That's a funny post guys.Speaking of receivers,John
Standeford is going into his 2nd year on the Colts.I
wonder how much they will play him.He spent last season
on the practice squad but at least he is in the nfl still.
Standeford is tall,has great hands and runs good routes.
He would be an excellent 4th or 5th receiver depending
on what they do with Brad Pyatt.He is fun to watch too.

Bear-Arms

Mentor
Some white parents in Chicago named their daughter Wrigley cause their last name was Field.
smiley36.gif

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
They could'a named her:

Outstanding Inher Field

or

Lillies Ovda Field (from the movie that helped launch Sidney Portier's career.)

or

Trac'n Field

(your turn!)

Bart

Hall of Famer
Koren Field has a nice ring to it. If they're German how bout Mein Field?Named after aviator--Wright Field? Ever hear the expression, "His name is mud." Mud E. Field.

There has to be an African named Samoka Chester Field. Edited by: Bart

let's take trendy hollywood names like -  McKenna McKenzie McCarter McDonald , Wyoming Dakota New Hampshire California, Blueberry Peach Cranberry "Schnapps" , or apple?Edited by: hollywoodnorth1

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Tony DeDevil? I knew a Whitey DeDevil
smiley2.gif

Personally, I think it's all about Hannibal Navies. I mean you can't find a better moniker for football than Hannibal. Edited by: hollywoodnorth1