Future nfl receivers to step up.

Bear-Arms

Mentor
They said on Chicago Sportnet that Eddie Berlin is turning some heads in training camp..

Quiet Speed

Mentor
Good news. Chase Lyman sounds confident and is participating in the Saints mini camp this week. There is audio with an interview on the following page link:

http://tinyurl.com/m7jm6

G

nice find quiet speed, im gonna have to check it out. If he can stay injury free he is a force to be reckoned with.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Circus Kircus is trying to make the Broncos. He vents his frustration in the article belowat his impossible situation with the Lions, where Steve Mariucci never gave him anything close to a fair shot. He thinks the Broncos are different in that regard. I don't --Nate Jackson, a talented receiver who was beefed up into a TE and quickly forgotten,is the latest in a long string of white receivers not given an opportunity by Mike Shanahan (besides Ed McCaffrey of course),but I hopeKircus isright.

http://cbs4denver.com/sports/local_story_171081620.html
<H1>David Kircus Hopes To Earn Spot On Broncos' Roster</H1>
<DIV id=storysand>

(CBS4/DenverBroncos.com) DENVER David Kircus wasn't going to surrender to the vagaries of trying to make it in professional football when the Detroit Lions released him. But he wasn't going to sit idly by the telephone and wait for teams to call with tryout invitations when he wasn't working out to stay in shape.

"A lot of guys, they'll just work out and wait it out, but there's a lot of sitting-around time," he said. "I don't like to sit around; I like to be doing something at all times.

So Kircus went to work.

"I got a job," he said. "I went and worked at Subway ... I was making the subs."

David Kircus, wide receiver/sandwich artist. That's more typically a résumé for a high-school senior earning a varsity letter than a three-year NFL veteran, but Kircus wanted a job that allowed him the flexibility to work out when he needed and dash to tryouts whenever asked.

"I did it in high school, too, so I had a little experience -- not that I needed much," Kircus said. "They paid me pretty well to do it, it was fun. It was free food."

The Broncos were among the teams that pilfered Kircus away from meatballs, various cheeses and a choice of white or wheat bread -- and all the other varieties currently offered by the multi-national sandwich concern -- for a tryout during the season. Seattle and Tampa Bay were among the other teams that called upon the receiver who was nicknamed "Circus Kircus" for his acrobatic receptions at Grand Valley State University in Michigan.

Ultimately, though, it was the Broncos' recent willingness to keep the best 53 players, regardless of draft or free-agent status, that convinced Kircus to go to Denver.

"They give guys a chance," he said. "There's a lot of guys released from other teams that became starters here just because of the simple fact that they worked hard. For me to be successful in this league, I know I've got to work hard each and every single day, and that's important to me. I don't want anything given to me or handed to me on a silver platter. I don't want that to be my path to the NFL.

"I think they believe in that here."

Kircus wasn't sure that was the case in Detroit. The Lions used a sixth-round pick on him in 2003, but also took receivers with first-round selections in 2003, 2004 and 2005: Charles Rogers, Roy Williams and Mike Williams, respectively.

"It was getting to the point where no matter how hard I worked, I still wasn't getting any playing time," Kircus said. "It's a political game ... they have guys who are first-rounders, and then I'm a sixth round pick.

"Here, they don't play that game."

Most of Kircus' work so far in Denver has come in the weight room, which he says has left him "stronger than I've ever been." He's played at between 180 and 190 pounds in the past and hopes to be at 200 by the time July 28 and training camp arrives. But just getting adjusted to the necessity of weight-room time was a step foward.

"I didn't lift a lot through college; I played basketball in the offseason and ran a little bit and just didn't work at getting bigger and stronger," he said. "When I got to Detroit, I still didn't have it in my head that I needed to lift. I just thought you need to be fast and jump over guys and just go up and get the ball and just be that kind of player. I've learned that you need some upper-body strength just to get off the line and when I got here they put me on the weight program right away, and I like it.

"It's the first time that I'm actually in the gym working out with the weights and feeling good about it."

Which is far, far better than the way he felt in Detroit.

"I was the No. 5, sometimes 6 receiver, and I'd come off the bench with my legs all tight on a third-and-25 when we needed four receivers, sometimes five," he said. "It was hard sometimes when defenses know you're going to throw the ball and you're not warmed up. That's basically what my role was in Detroit, and it was tough. Just like anybody else, I want to be in the game and I want to have my legs warmed up."

As a Michigan native, Kircus said that the Lions' decision to draft him three years ago was "a dream come true" -- that is, until his scant chances for playing time behind more highly-touted young receivers became apparent.

"Now it's my dream come true to actually play, become a starter somewhere and make a difference on a team," he said.

And that would make all the work -- in fast food and football -- worthwhile.

whiteCB

Master
Shanahan did start McCaffrey for many years so that gives me hope that Kircus will be treated fairly. I think with that being said if Kircus does have a great preseason and exhibition games then he will see the field. The Broncos WR corps aren't that impressive so David has got a legit shot in my mind as Shanahan knows first hand from McCaffrey that whites can play WR.

Triad

Mentor
On this topic the Titans had a white WR making some nice catches today wearing #17. I believe it was Grant Mattos (former USC Trojan). He's one of 13 WR's the Titans currently have on the roster. I don't know anything about him or his chances, maybe Chow will give him a shot.

QUOTE from the local paper - -

"Paul Kuharsky, of the Tennessean, reports Tennessee Titans WR Grant Mattos caught everything thrown his way, and those who've seen him regularly say it wasn't a one-day thing. WR Bobby Wade has looked good as well. Both drew praise from Titans' head coach Jeff Fisher. Mattos and Wade are getting a lot of snaps now since the team's other wide receivers are injured and sitting out. "Grant's made some very, very good catches here the last couple workouts, and Bobby's getting a good feel for getting open," Fisher said."

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
This is from Fox Sports website, by Adam Schein:

2. We expect huge things out of Jaguars receiver Matt Jones in 2006.

In talking to the second year wideout last week, he was giddy talking about how good he felt at Jags' minicamp. Jones said, "Last year, I was learning the ropes about the receiver position. It was basically all new. I was a rookie and played quarterback at Arkansas. I was learning a new playbook, getting used to the NFL way, the NFL life. I wasn't even signed. Now, I have a year under my belt. I know how to get separation. I know the operation. I have a really nice rapport with Byron (Leftwich) that can get even better. I can't wait for the season."

In terms of athleticism, Jones is a flat out freak. He is 6-foot-6, can out grapple cornerbacks and also beat them down the field with his speed. In his rookie campaign, he hauled in 36 passes for five touchdowns. And before Leftwich got hurt in the Arizona game, the quarterback and Jones were clicking. In the two games before the injury against Baltimore and Tennessee, he nabbed two touchdowns and totaled 163 receiving yards.

And with the Jaguars searching for a go-to receiver in the wake of Jimmy Smith's retirement, the bet here is that Jones assumes the title with a breakout season.

It's the potential of that coveted role that has Jones pushing himself this off-season.

Jones said, "I am spending extra time with Byron. We are working so hard. We want to build off of what we established before the injury. This receiving core has so much potential. This team has so much potential. We are going to be ready to break out."

Forget the solid Ernest Wilford. Forget the colossal bust that is tissue-paper soft Reggie Williams. Matt Jones is going to replace Jimmy Smith as the receiver Leftwich looks at on third downs and in crunch time. Watch him be a beast this year inside the red zone.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5720828

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
And then there's CBS Sportsline
smiley8.gif
which is running the following picture of super-flop Reggie Williams. Check the caption below the picture.

img9516889.jpg

Here's the caption CBS Sportsline is running with this picture: "Reggie Williams is now Option No. 1 in Jacksonville."

smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

What a die-hard Caste System supporter, to call this all-time loser the "#1 option." No, it couldn't possibly be Matt Jones, or even Ernest Wilford, it's the cement-legged, low-IQ bust named Reggie Williams.

Look at that picture again, which, given the caption, is supposed to be complimentary. I guess I'm just old school, but when I picture a wide receiver, a running back, a linebacker, a quarterback, any football player for that matter, I see a white man, not the clowns, criminals and posers that now populate the NFL.

whiteCB

Master
CBS sportsline is a bunch of tools who don't actually watch or scout players to know first hand how good they are. They're just going off of first hand caste football knowledge in their rankings for players.

devans

Mentor
Here is a very quick quiz for you all.
I have copied the GM JR Scouting grading guides below.
From http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/key

I want you to place Mike Hass in one of the categories shown below as if you were scouting or grading him. So for example if you think Mike Hass should make a good backup/special teams player you would grade him at 5.8.

GM Jr.'s Numerical Grading Scale
Number - Description - Round
7.0 - 7.9 Pro Bowl Player - A true difference maker 1st round
6.5 - 6.9 Highly productive starting player 1st round
6.4Very good starting player 1st/2nd round
6.3Very good starting player 2nd round
6.1 - 6.2 Good starting player 3rd round
6.0Very productive backup now/will develop into starter 3rd round
5.9Very good backup & very good special teams player 4th round
5.8Quality backup & good special teams player 5th round
5.7 Backup player/special teams player & project players 6th round
5.6 Backup player/special teams player & project players 6th/7th round
5.5 Backup player/special teams player & project players 7th round/Priority Free Agent
5.0 - 5.4 Players with one or more limitations - Backup/special teams type. Free Agent

So write your grade down so you don't forget, and then go to http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/hass_mike and see how the NFL scouts rated him.
Enjoy.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I'm really looking forward to watching Mike Hass play for the Saints.Has anyone heard any news though about David Anderson with tht Houston Texans.He could be a sleeper for a fantasy football team.People forget that he was Col.States All Time Leading Receiver.He also has very good speed although the experts don't give him credit for it.I hope he can get some good playing time.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It would be great if Anderson makes the team as the Texans' fifth receiver. That's probably all we can hope for this season due to the very lengthy process the NFL makes all white WRs go through, and even then few ever play. This should be the year Kevin Walter gets substantial playing time if he's ever going to get it. He's in his fourth season and on his third NFL team, the typical nonsense white receivers have to go through. He's third on the Texans depth chart behind Andre Johnson and Eric Moulds. Walter is probably better than Moulds at this stage of Moulds' career and has the potential to have a good year under the new regime in Houston.

The Texans also have veteran receiver Chris Doering on their roster, a white receiver who has gotten the Caste treatment for a decade after smashing SEC records at Florida, but he's a long-shot to make the roster. Doering has definitely lost speed (and wasn't a burner to begin with), which is a shame because he would have been a fine starter for someone all these years.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
I was not going to post this, we already know the positives with Mike Hass and no need to overdo a good thing. A really really good interview with Oregon State wide receivers' coach revealed something pertinent, though. Mike does not let racial trash talking corners take him off his game. Excellent!

The Saints open their preseason against the Titans. It will probably be, as for as the press is concerned, the Young-Bush bowl. From our stand point it's a good one to watch. A collection of white receivers to root for, Brees and Volek, etc.

I suppose I don't mind watching Bush, he's almost out of my doghouse after that bizarre lateral in the Rose Bowl.Edited by: Quiet Speed

whiteCB

Master
I love the quote about opposing Cornerbacks(black CBs) saying how they were going to shut down "the slow white boy". HAHAHA. like that ever happened. God forbid a white LB like AJ Hawk talking crap to an opposing black HB saying he was going to 'shut down his black ass". The media would be all over it saying how much of a racist AJ Hawk is. Yet this kind of racist b.s. happens all the time to white skill palyer. Just ask former Ohio ST CB Dustin Fox about oppsoing black WRs talking crap to "his white ass". Thanks for exposing this double standard Quite Speed.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
whiteCB said:
I love the quote about opposing Cornerbacks(black CBs) saying how they were going to shut down "the slow white boy". HAHAHA. like that ever happened. God forbid a white LB like AJ Hawk talking crap to an opposing black HB saying he was going to 'shut down his black ass". The media would be all over it saying how much of a racist AJ Hawk is. Yet this kind of racist b.s. happens all the time to white skill palyer. Just ask former Ohio ST CB Dustin Fox about oppsoing black WRs talking crap to "his white ass". Thanks for exposing this double standard Quite Speed.

Don't mention it whiteCB.

You're right on the money. I wonder how many hours of sensitivity training one would be sentenced to if the incident was reversed.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
What a bunch of crap.I hope the corners keep on talking trash on Sundays.Hass will burn them too.He is so strong for a wide receiver.He literally can muscle away the football even if they are covering him.His speed has always been underated too as we all know.Here is to Mike Hass becoming the next Steve Largent!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
There's a nice feature article about Joe Jurevicius in last week's print issue of Sports Illustrated. Goes into his Cleveland roots, his Lithuanian heritage, thedeath of his infant son as Tampa was winning the Super Bowl in '03and how happy he is to be playing for the Browns, who he idolized growing up.

Joe has never had a full season to be a starter despite his great size, hands and big play ability. He was on his way in Tampa before, sadly and ironically enough, teammate Mike Alstott accidentally hit him during a play and his knee gave out.

If the Browns offensive line plays well and Charlie Frye develops, Jurevicius could have a big year. He is the number one receiver and will only drop to second if and when Braylon Edwards is finally healthy. He should have been a starter all along, but better late than never.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Although Matt Jones has received some positive media attention of late, old habits die hard. In Sports Illustrated's fantasy football preview this week, under "Big Play Men" we find this: "Ernest Wilford, Jaguars. The former Virginia Tech star is the Jags' best long-ball threat, and one of the bigger ones in the game."

smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
I'll bet Brian Finneran can beat Wilford in a foot race, and he's taller too.

I hope Jones tears it up this season, but having Leftwich as his quarterback worries me. Very few receivers ever tear it up when a black QB is throwing the ball. Joe Horn with Aaron Brooks, some of Warren Moon's receivers, Randy Moss with Culpepper but Minnesota's entire offense was pretty much designed around throwing the ball deep to Moss. Leftwich is a pocket passer so let's hope he's on the mark otherwise Jones will get the blame.

sunshine

Mentor
Actually Don I think Leftwich would be good for Matt Jones. He isn't a Vick wannabe and is a pure pocket passer. Jones would not do very well with a running QB like the guy who filled in when Leftwich was hurt. So expect a solid season out of Matt.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
What worries me about Leftwich are hispassing touchdowntotals from three seasons as a starter -- 14, 15 and 15. That's very weak for a quarterback, especially apure pocket passer. The jury is still very much out on whether Leftwich is a good NFL starter. A white QB would be under a lot more scrutiny and pressure with the same output.

foreverfree

Mentor
Why do I keep thinking that step up smacks of ebonics/hip hop, though not spelled in an ebonic way?
smiley13.gif
smiley11.gif

John

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Here's an article on Matt Jones that compares him favorably to Randy Moss.Matt has tremendous ability and this yearhe's in an ideal situation with Jimmy Smith's sudden retirement. The Jags can't afford to put him through the six-year apprenticeship (aka screwing) that even the rare highly drafted white receivers usually get because their need is too great at the position with Reggie Williams being such a bust and Ernest Wilford being slow, slow, slow. My biggest worry is Leftwich; I have no doubt that Jones is up to the challenge.

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/9581134

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
the Texans' Kevin Walter has looked good in camp, as well. with Houston's problems at wide receiver, hopefully he'll get a chance to showcase his talents. here's the article talking about how the staff is liking him a lot so far...

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
evidently, New Orleans is having some problems with their passing game, which is good news for Mike Hass. here's the latest thing Saints' head coach Sean Payton has said about Hass:

Q: How has Mike Hass looked so far in camp?

A: "I think he is battling and he has done some good things. Yesterday he got caught on a slant route and got sloppy. He catches the ball. He is the one of guy who is operating without a little bit of the snaps or reps that some of these rookies have because he wasn't able to be at the minicamps and some of the OTA workouts because of his school schedule. He is coming around. I want some consistency at that position."

Rise

Guru
Is it normal to hear a lot of good press about white recievers in camp like we are this year (Hass, Kircus, Walter, Jones ect.)? Or does this typically happen every year to get our hopes up?Edited by: Rise