Future nfl receivers to step up.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Happens every year. How can coaches not say good things about these guys when they are so talented, a lot more talented than many black receivers. Though I am cautiously optimistic that this is going to be the best year for white receivers in the NFL since the memorable season of 1999.

There's a lot of great talent in college too at the position in spite of the Caste hurdles. Two-sport star Samardjiza (hopefully) will be entering the NFL in '07, Todd Blythe in '08, andthere's abunch of other very capableWRs as Jimmy Chitwood has detailed in the College Football Stars section. I've maintained for years that the NFL should be about 80 percent white at the receiver position. If anything that's an understatement.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Rise said:
Is it normal to hear a lot of good press about white recievers in camp like we are this year (Hass, Kircus, Walter, Jones ect.)? Or does this typically happen every year to get our hopes up?

Very normal. Standard stuff. Praise the white guys until it's game time then DON'T do anything that will piss off the brothers or they will revolt on your ass and the coach will be coaching HS ball.

This happens EVERY year. And for Kircus it happens EVERY year as the Lions did this same thing when he was with him, praise the hell out of "Circus Kircus" then cut him so they could play the black losers that make up their sorry receiving corps.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
sadly, Jaxvid and Don are right on the money. however, maybe...just maybe... this is the year that our guys can break through. they obviously have the talent, but it takes more than that. otherwise, there would be no need for this site. let's just keep the faith in our guys, and sooner or later one of them is going to blow the lid off!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
some other, less heralded, white receivers are also tearing up their training camps. former Utah wide receivers Travis LaTendresse and John Madsen are looking very good for the otherwise coal-black receiver rotations in Baltimore and Oakland, respectively. of course, they're rookie free agents and have a huge hill to climb to make their teams...
smiley7.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Here's another interesting piece of info I ran across that illustrates why I worry about Byron Leftwich's ability more than I worry about Matt Jones':

While Jacksonville doesn't run a pass happy offense, they do like to stretch the field and Jones certainly will have his chance to vastly improve his numbers as a starter. Jones has great straight line speed and blew by opposing defenders on several occasions last season but the timing was off between him and starting QB Byron Leftwich. By one NFL source's account, Leftwich under threw Jones on three potential TDs last season when Jones was wide open.

All eyes will be on Matt Jones, but they should be Leftwich, too. He's pretty much gotten a free pass when it comes to scrutiny when he still has a lot of improving to do.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
Here's another interesting piece of info I ran across that illustrates why I worry about Byron Leftwich's ability more than I worry about Matt Jones':

While Jacksonville doesn't run a pass happy offense, they do like to stretch the field and Jones certainly will have his chance to vastly improve his numbers as a starter. Jones has great straight line speed and blew by opposing defenders on several occasions last season but the timing was off between him and starting QB Byron Leftwich. By one NFL source's account, Leftwich under threw Jones on three potential TDs last season when Jones was wide open.

All eyes will be on Matt Jones, but they should be Leftwich, too. He's pretty much gotten a free pass when it comes to scrutiny when he still has a lot of improving to do.

I bet Kerry Collins or Jeff George wouldn't have a problem underthrowing Matt Jones.

Deus Vult

Mentor
A friend of mine went to Saints' Camp today, in Jackson, MS. He said that unlike the rest of the receiver corps, Hass, Chase Lyman and Chris Horn caught everything thrown their way. He said the sure-handedness of those three caught the eyes of most of the onlookers, including a number of reporters.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I'll have to check the Clarion-Ledger for info on those 3 Saints tomorrow. I have been hearing a lot of good about Hass though.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Mike Furrey gets some praise. With Mike Williams and Charles Rogers being colossal busts to this point, Furrey has a chance to play for the Lions this season, especially considering that Mike Martz, the most white friendly coach in the NFL while with the Rams, brought Furrey over with him when he was hired as Detroit's offensive coordinator. After Roy Williams the Lions WR picture seems pretty much up for grabs. But knowing how the NFL works Furrey's still a long-shot to be anything more than a fourth or fifth receiver.

Offensive coordinator Mike Martz brings a sterling reputation to Detroit for his high-flying system, and one low-profile player he coaxed with him is Mike Furrey, who switched from receiver to safety for the Rams last year, but is now back on offense. He, along with rookie Shaun Bodiford, has shot up the depth chart during camp.

"He doesn't drop the ball; he's fast; knows what he's doing and flies around," said head coach Rod Marinelli of Furrey. "You're looking for consistency. To win in anything you do, you've got to come out consistent for 16 games. That gives you an opportunity. Then you've got to be on the details. Then, hopefully at the end, your talent plays very well."

Quiet Speed

Mentor
Hass finished with three receptions tonight against the Titans. Sheer determination accounted for the third. Nickey laid some wood to Mike on an in route and somehow he was able to hang on.

Chase Lyman had three catches. Two on the game winning drive late in the fourth quarter. The shocker was that Chris Horn got the nod as the third receiver in the first series of the game. That came out of the blue considering not much news was coming out of camp about him.

The Saints have a plethora of receivers in camp and the reports are that all are performing well, with the possible exception of Devery Henderson. So a little cuatious optimism is in order here. Although Hass is in like Flint.
smiley1.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Dan Sheldon was the primary kick returner for the Colts last night against the Seahawks. Looks like he has a good chance to take on Brad Pyatt's role before him. Sheldon was also the team's leading receiver with 4 catches. He looked fast and showed elusiveness.

I wasn't encouraged by how John Standeford was used by Indy, however. He didn't play until late. He almost had a long completion but the announcers blamed him for a drop even though there was no replay. It may have been a drop but it also may have been deflected by a defender. It was too close to tell in real time without a replay. But if they keep Sheldon, Standeford probably won't make the cut and it will most likely be the end of the line for the Big 10's all-time leading receiver.

Let's hope Mike Hass, Chase Lyman and Chris Horn get some significant playing time in tonight's national game. All the hype will be focused on Reggie Bush, the best running back in college last year, while the best wide receiver in college was barely drafted and labors in near total anonymity.

lumsdenpower

Mentor
hey Jeremy Bloom retunr 2kicks in his game...somebody in this site has said that he will miss all year..lol he is not injured...

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Our best hope for huge success this year will be the two number one receivers on their teams.Drew Bennett and Matt Jones.It will depend on how good the qb's get them the ball though.After that,Curtis should have solid numbers.Stokley has been hurt in pre season.Alot of other guys that we like will have to fight to get significant playing time and we all know how that transpires.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Man, stuff the Packers in a pack and stick em where the sun don't shine!
smiley7.gif
smiley11.gif
smiley35.gif
smiley34.gif

lumsdenpower

Mentor
white lightning said:
Our best hope for huge success this year will be the two number one receivers on their teams.Drew Bennett and Matt Jones.It will depend on how good the qb's get them the ball though.After that,Curtis should have solid numbers.Stokley has been hurt in pre season.Alot of other guys that we like will have to fight to get significant playing time and we all know how that transpires.
Joe Jerivicius will be the number one!!!

Quiet Speed

Mentor
Quiet Speed said:
Although Hass is in like Flint.
smiley1.gif

I'm going to have to throw a penalty flag on myself. What was I thinking making such a bold statement. I relaxed for a moment and forgot this is the league with the looney rule and that sacrificial white camp bodies (swcb) seem to be a league policy.

It could be true that the Saints staff is evaluating receivers that are fighting for a spot on the team, while Hass and maybe Chase have made the team.

I wish they would had informed Mike of that fact. As the Colts in last night's game were running the clock out, there was a shot of Bush on the sidelines. In the picture was Hass, I wish I could relate the disbelief on the young man's face. He must have realized he would not get on the field again. He made an appearance with about three or four minutes left in the game.

He was almost undetectably shaking his head and eyes looked to be focused on something a million miles away. It lasted quite awhile. While the announcers were jabbering about Bush, I could not take my eyes off of what I was seeing. He had the look of someone about to lose a love one. I hope I am not exaggerating what I saw. I would not use this fine site to over dramatized anything of that nature. I felt bad for him and shaken by what I saw.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
You are 100% correct about Mike Hass being very depressed.Who wouldn't be?Can you imagine if they just sat Reggie Bush and didn't play him.Mike had one of the best receiving careers in the history of college football and has caught every pass in site in practices.They still won't play the kid.He should demand to be released but from what I've heard,he's on a three year contract.Are they going to just let him sit on the damn bench all year long.This is as bad as how Luke Staley was treated.Absolutely no respect.Hass deserves so much better.Screw the NFL and the Aints.Yes until they play Hass consistantly,they will be known again as the Aints!!
smiley7.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Mike Hass should be a number 2 receiver for the Saints right now, with a chance to work into the number one spot within a year. Because of his complexion, he is relegated to wasting his unreal God given talent on the sidelines. Why do these teams even bother to draft these guys, the way they treat them. They are just throwing money down a hole by not playing guys like Hass. They are throwing even more money down the hole by keeping a bunch of whiney-mouthed, over-paid, over-hyped, under-producing blacks.
smiley7.gif

Triad

Mentor
Below are quotes from an ESPN article about Eagle's receiver, Todd Pinkston. He is seeking a trade because of the addition of Donte Stallworth from the Saints. This how the league and the media view this chronic under-achiever.

"The teams interested in Pinkston likely are attracted by his outstanding deep speed and career average of 15.3 yards per catch. ....
At least two of the three receiver-needy franchises would likely view Pinkston as a starter, if he is healthy."

Kaptain

Master
Pinkston is yet another under-achieving black reciever that for some reason is always regarded as starting material. He has been a starter since 2001 yet has never gained more than 798 yards in one season. How is that starting material? He has had his chance for several years and failed to produce.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
On top of that, Pinkston has the worst case of alligator arms in NFL history. Bill Schroeder short-armed one pass in his career and became infamous for it; Pinkston has short-armed numerous passes but no one remembers or cares. After all he still has all that "potential" that he's going to live up to one of these seasons.
smiley13.gif

jared

Mentor
Pinkston's alligator arms were pretty well publicized a year or two ago, especially when TO got hurt. But people forget quickly apparently.