Carl Froch

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
I agreed with the two judges that had it 115-113. I it was 15 rounds Froch would have won.

Let's hope Bute KO's Ward.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Ward is slippery and difficult to hit. He has strong balance. He's as dirty as they come, like a younger version of Hopkins.

But he has little power, because he hit Froch, Green, Bika, and Abraham flush many times without rocking them. Froch didn't land much flush, but I thought he hurt Ward whenever he did.

I think Ward clearly won, it was not a robbery. I saw it as 115-113 or 116-112 for Ward. Froch was coming on in the championship rounds, but Ward had already built up too much of a lead in the early and middle rounds.

Last edited:
I saw a 116-112ish fight in favour of Andre Ward.

Froch was too slow, seemed to be tight and not find his punching rhythm, and what I thought was most significant was his lack of defense. Froch was a very easy target for Ward to hit. I also noted that Froch lacked defensive skills in his fights with Dirrell, Pascal, and Kessler.

Froch was very easy to hit and really lacked a solid defense in this fight.

Credit where credit is due, Congrats to Ward on the win and he beat a very good fighter in Froch.

Carl Froch gave a good effort and for that I salute him. Froch is a very tough guy, he just lacks some speed and also his defense needs to be improved. He is too easy to hit. I feel that Froch could probably move up to 175lbs and become a champ there if he wanted to.

Personally, Ive never been a big fan of Carl Froch but as a white athlete of course I always support him and his achievements regardless. However, Ive always much preferred Lucian Bute or even Art Abraham.

Also, for the record, I believe Froch would get KO'd by Lucian. Carl is way too easy to hit, he is wide open to be punched. Yes, Froch has a good chin, but Ward is a non-puncher.

In my opinion, I think Bute stops Froch. The way Froch sticks his head out he is begging to be KO'd by Lucian. Lucian also hits much harder than Ward.

As a final note on the fight, let me say that its bizarre to hear media reports about how Ward "dominated" Froch. Ummm... 115-113x2, as 2 judges had it is not "dominated". It was a competitive fight, Ward did not win it walking away. It was a competitive fight, not a domination by any means.

Disappointing result, but then again I had predicted this would happen so Im not surprised!

Some thoughts on a possible Bute/Ward fight:

Bute/Ward is the obvious superfight to make at 168, that has been building for about 3 years now.

Interesting that after the fight, Showtime's Jim Grey asked Ward if he wants to fight Bute and Ward basically said "I need some time off after this fight. Im not obligated or bound to do anything".

To me that implies he probably will pursue other options in the immediate future. Anthony Dirrell is Ward's mandatory, that would be a very easy fight for Ward.

Bute is much faster, hits harder, better boxer, better defense than Froch so I guarantee he will be much more competitive with Ward.

I will admit that Ward probably deserves one easy fight as his next fight.

But after that, certainly the most legitimate opponent for him to fight is Lucian Bute.

Ward's management team is already blackballing Bute and claiming theyre not obligated to him and pursuing other options :crazy:

Realistically, Id say that if Bute/Ward does happen it does in late 2012/early 2013.

However I get the feeling Ward and his team arent keen on taking the risk of Bute. I dont think Ward can run from Bute forever though. Bute is a clear no.1 guy and has been for a very longtime. Then again, manytimes superfights dont get made.

Last edited:
He as dirty as they come,

Yes I agree. Ward is a dirty fighter. Tonight against Froch he kept using his forearm to push and hit Froch with. Many times on the inside exchanges Ward was using his glove and forearm to push and rough up Froch. At times he was sticking his glove into Froch's face.

That is illegal and it is essentially the same infraction for which Amir Khan lost a point just last weekend from referee for pushing.

Not that it would have changed the result, but I think Ward should have atleast been warned and perhaps penalized a point for his tactics.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Did not get to see the fight due to pressing family matters, but caught the decision. Ward was classly towards Carl. Carl admitted that he lost fair and square to Ward.

I remember a year ago I looked up a picture of Ward's father. He was a White man, with the same face as Ward. It was kinda of bizarre and funny. Ward can fight, and what is remarkable, he has no real power to keep off elite fighters.

That being said, Bute is one of the one or two remaining "firewalls" for White fighters at 168 lbs against Ward. That fight has to be made. Bute is a superstar in Canada. Ward can make big money there with a 45 to 55 percentage in Bute's favor with a percentage of the PPV. Its a no brainer for both.

Here it is! Ward said he didn't have to face Bute, that Lucian had to prove he deserved the fight first, wants him to face Froch. As expected, he'd rather look for a rematch vs Kessler but so would Froch.

Another cr*p excuse from Ward is that "Bute doesn't deserve a money fight" against him. Like Bute needs Ward to fill arenas in Quebec...

I read it on a Quebec article (french) http://fr.canoe.ca/sports/nouvelles/boxe/archives/2011/12/20111218-044435.html

Last edited:

white is right

Hall of Famer
I saw the fight live and scored it apx 8-4 Ward. I was shocked that two judges had it 7-5 Ward and one of them wasn't the British judge. Froch seemed to try and box Ward in the first half of the fight and only when he knew he needed to sweep the second half of the fight did he try and rumble with his combos to the body and the head. At that point it was too late as he hadn't taken the legs away from Ward early enough to force Ward to fight a rugged infight. Post fight Ward seemed humble when he was interviewed by Grey, but who knows when your camp/posse starts whispering in your ears what you will say to reporters pre or post fight. .

TBProdigy

Guru
[video=youtube;vQ0d719EoSY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ0d719EoSY[/video]

Ward fights negro Yusaf Mack tomorrow, i'm expecting a late stoppage/TKO win. Bet the house on this one

TBProdigy

Guru
Froch looked good today, but his negro opponent didn't put up much of a fight.

Video here:

http://sweetboxingvideos.com/

Agreed, I think he needs to step up for another real test, Kessler is the way forward imo. I don't think its wise to jump into a Ward fight, Kessler would be a great tune up fight providing he wins(I think hes a different fighter than the one from the last time they fought)

Westside

Hall of Famer
Rumors are hot that Froch will fight Chavez Jr at 168 lbs. Explosive fight. It "ain't" going the distance

Ambrose

Master
I suspect Froch is worried about his long-term health. He is reported a few times to have said he is ready to retire. I suspect he wants one more big payday and then quit while he best can. We sense small changes in our bodies and we just know it's time to do other things. Smart.

Westside

Hall of Famer
I suspect Froch is worried about his long-term health. He is reported a few times to have said he is ready to retire. I suspect he wants one more big payday and then quit while he best can. We sense small changes in our bodies and we just know it's time to do other things. Smart.
Exactly. I am around 50 yrs old. I am in good shape, but I never power cling weights anymore. I eat oatmeal with fruit or nuts in the morning. Then a regular meal at 5 pm. I try never to eat anything after 6 pm. HNY to all the boxing CFers!