Black QBs in the NFL

Tannehill17

Mentor
Freeman benched in Tampa Bay :clap2:

This should mark the end of his tenure as a starter. Omar Kelly (negro Dolphins beat writer) at the beginning of the season was actually calling for the Fins to bring in Freeman and start him over Tannehill. The same Josh Freeman thats completing less than 50% of his throws. Of course, we'll all hear the excuses (he has no receivers, the playcalling sucks, etc..) but the fact is, Freeman is not an NFL quarterback. He has been exposed at the pro level. Not even the DWF's and TMZSPN could polish this turd. He sucks!

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
This should mark the end of his tenure as a starter. Omar Kelly (negro Dolphins beat writer) at the beginning of the season was actually calling for the Fins to bring in Freeman and start him over Tannehill. The same Josh Freeman thats completing less than 50% of his throws. Of course, we'll all hear the excuses (he has no receivers, the playcalling sucks, etc..) but the fact is, Freeman is not an NFL quarterback. He has been exposed at the pro level. Not even the DWF's and TMZSPN could polish this turd. He sucks!
And to think a few years ago it seemed that Freeman might be the rare black quarterback to succeed because he played the "white way". Instead he's turned out to be another black stiff in the mold of Jason Campbell and Byron Leftwich. Blacks simply lack the intelligence, quick processing / decision making and leadership needed. Maybe mulatto Russell Wilson will break the black quarterback failure streak but I wouldn't bet on it. The rest of the black starters will fail due to their many and varying deficiencies.

Maybe mulatto Russell Wilson will break the black quarterback failure streak but I wouldn't bet on it.

Wilson might have some longer term success. Simply put, he is a consistently accurate passer. This very simple thing sets him apart from the rest of the black quarterbacks. He also plays within his abilities, and doesn't try to make too many plays with his feet. I don't think it's unrealistic to expect a Warren Moon type every now and then, but it will be a rare thing. It will be interesting to watch Wilson over the next couple of years.

Interesting hypothesis from some DWF on why black QBs are less accurate than Whites:

"Fast twitch vs slow twitch musculature. Blacks, like other non-human primates, have high levels of fast twitch muscle giving them explosive speed and strength at the expense of fine control. Humans have much more slow twitch muscle which gives us remarkable manual dexterity but less raw speed and power."

Last edited:

davidholly

Mentor
Blacks have lower stamina, upper body strength and accuracy. In the modern NFL when you're expected to throw the ball 50 times a game that'll wear blacks out a lot faster.

foobar75

Master
Excellent, so this Sunday 25/32 starting QBs will be White? We need to be closer to 90%, and may get there at some point this season. By my count:

1. sCam: entrenched starter, mediocre at best
2. Vick: should lose the job due to injury or poor play at some point this year.
3. Gremlin: stinking it up with garbage stats, unlikely to the lose the job except due to injury
4. Kraepernick: starting to get exposed, but unlikely to lose job, except due to injury.
5. Smiff: see sCam above, except Smiff is a bottom 10 QB.
6. Manuel: see sCam
7. Pryor: likely out this week, golden chance for Flynn to seize the job.
8. Freeman: done
9. Wilson: the only black quarterback with any sort of staying power, appears to be set for a decent, 10-12 year career in the NFL, much to my surprise. I think a lot people, including many of us here at CF got this one wrong.

Overall, the black quarterback situation is perhaps not as dire as it may have seemed after Week 1. None of these guys, and none of the upcoming ones from college are even in the same universe as the elite White QBs who still rule the NFL.

foobar75, Excellent post Sir, except that Wilson is black, and therfore at any given moment can revert to form by doing something so absolutely crazy that no one could ever imagine. There's always that x-factor in all of them, laying there dormant waiting for just the right set of circumstances to come together to cause a meltdown.

joegoofinoff...

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Does anyone know about how many black qb's were starters on average during the 1980's? That was the last decade that the NFL could still be considered somewhat "white friendly." I am thinking there were no more than 2 or 3 starting black qb's at any given time during the 1980's. It's a huge uptick these days.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Does anyone know about how many black qb's were starters on average during the 1980's? That was the last decade that the NFL could still be considered somewhat "white friendly." I am thinking there were no more than 2 or 3 starting black qb's at any given time during the 1980's. It's a huge uptick these days.

Is this a trick question wa33? I won't be banned if I can name all 3 will I?

Seriously, being one of the older guys on this forum and watching a big part of the NFL in the 70's and 80's, I think I can name 3 starters, but only 1 or 2 started at the same time.

I watched more football in those 2 decades than at anytime in my life, so I know some history back then.

Warren Moon, Doug Williams, and Chicago's Vince Evans, off the top of my head.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Is this a trick question wa33? I won't be banned if I can name all 3 will I?

Seriously, being one of the older guys on this forum and watching a big part of the NFL in the 70's and 80's, I think I can name 3 starters, but only 1 or 2 started at the same time.

I watched more football in those 2 decades than at anytime in my life, so I know some history back then.

Warren Moon, Doug Williams, and Chicago's Vince Evans, off the top of my head.

LOL! No buddy! Just wondering if some of the older posters knew this information. I'm too lazy to go through the starter lists from the 80's that are online as it would take some time. What about Randall Cunningham? Wasn't he a starter in the late 1980's?

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
LOL! No buddy! Just wondering if some of the older posters knew this information. I'm too lazy to go through the starter lists from the 80's that are online as it would take some time. What about Randall Cunningham? Wasn't he a starter in the late 1980's?

Correct WA33, RC started in the mid 80's through the 90's. One of the things that goes in your late 40's is memory. When I was 20 something I could have named almost any player on most rosters.

Hey, could we be on to something here. The NFL has tried the black QB experiment before and it didn't work then. What makes them think it will work now?

Oh I forgot, there were a lot more WHITE players on defense back then at LB, D-line and believe it or not; DB's!!!!!!

davidholly

Mentor
Randall Cunningham played in the 80s, I used to have a Sports Illustrated cover with him on it call "The QB of the future" or something along those lines. Even then I knew what a load of BS that was. I think the article was written to hype his return from injury, so that makes it even funnier in retrospect.

The NFL is trying the shotgun method now when it comes to quotablacks, or should I say pistol? They used to take the best of the best black QBs and hope they'd stick but that failed laughably. Eventually they'll try all out replacement with whites. How can there be a disparity between white and black QBs when there are no more white QBs?

davidholly

Mentor
rEMGAnS.jpg

There's probably a similar cover about Vick.

white is right

Hall of Famer
There were really only two in the late 80's Moon and a young Cunningham. Evans and Peete were both spot starters at best. Ps I just looked it up and Evans was the starter in 81' in Chicago. Anybody have a story about this? I know back then the Bears were really bad. Picture the Bungles pre Carson Palmer.

goyim

Guru
how to interpret this one?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...-flips-the-script-on-nfc-in-conference-battle

I'm still very much questioning Locker's long-term viability as an NFL quarterback. He's an athletic, inaccurate passer. (Without opening up a can of worms here, it would be interesting to see the perception of him if he wasn't a white kid from Washington state.) But after a stunning comeback win against the Chargers on Sunday it warrants wondering if he can take the next step towards justifying his draft position. Admittedly when he took over with two minutes left and needing a touchdown, I was convinced Locker couldn't pull it off. His game-winning strike to Justin Hunter, though, was a thing of beauty.

TwentyTwo

Master
Not sure how to interpret that...but whimpy little unathletic sportswriters are not used to QB's like Locker with his "extra gear" on display like it was on the 39 yard scramble & 7 yd TD on called run where he looked like a Tailback...I'd like to line-up EVERY QB in the NFL today to a race & see where Locker would finish??

Luck & Tannehill are pictured on the Top of that article....they are the reason the AFC is now better than the NFC.....they happen to be the Future New Breed NFL QB...

jaxvid

Hall of Famer

dwid

Hall of Famer
There were really only two in the late 80's Moon and a young Cunningham. Evans and Peete were both spot starters at best. Ps I just looked it up and Evans was the starter in 81' in Chicago. Anybody have a story about this? I know back then the Bears were really bad. Picture the Bungles pre Carson Palmer.
Cunningham only started 3 complete seasons, 3 14 or 15 game seasons and in 87, he started 12. The rest he missed the majority of the year. Somehow managed to lead the league in sacks in 86 with 5 games started 200 attempts. 72 sacks, yeah mobile...His best season came at 35, I think he had Carter and Moss, his only good year in his 30's.

Doug Williams started in the late 70's for a few years with the Bucs then bounced around until the strike season in 87, coming in during the playoffs, with the Superbowl being his only great game

The best rushing season was by a White qb, Bobby Douglass, in 72, he started the entire season, but it was only 14 games back then so he didn't crack 1k, had he played 16 like Vick he would have had 1106 yards (vick 1039) Douglass scored 8 times, Vick scored 2 tds, lost 300 yards from sacks, Douglass lost 175 yards which would have been 200 yards. On Wikiepedia it mentions he is 2nd to Cunningham for yards rushing per game over a 5 season span by 0.1, the problem is Cunningham lost over 2000 yards from sacks during that period, and led the league in sacks and sack yardage 4 out of 5 of those years. Yeah mobile qb of the future.

Last edited:

Gibbon

Guru

Moon always struck me as a relatively intelligent football player. That's an important piece to being a qb correctly characterized as the most difficult position in sports. A guy like Mike Vick? Too stupid in my opinion. In today's NFL he'd make a wide receiver of average intelligence (in today's NFL .i.e. of low intelligence). Cam Newton for example seems only marginally more intelligent than Vick if at all. Russell Wilson, on the other hand, seems more intelligent. His energy is more nervous and less composed than a Brady or a Manning (important in my view) but he is not unintelligent for a qb of a certain "category".

MetalHed

Guru
Can Newton is not intelligent at all. He cheated in college and hasn't done anything to prove otherwise. My friend met him and other players at a benefit for mother (she had cancer) and told me Cam was goofing around like a 5 year old the whole time. He's just big and goofy!

dwid

Hall of Famer
thats why these thy don't want another "Warren Moon" is because they can't fill the league with those types, but they have tons of Terrelle Pryor types, well many that aren't as fast as him but still, scatter brained, run first mentality.

davidholly

Mentor
It's laughable that Warren Moon is the only QB blacks can muster up when talking about great quarterbacks.

It's laughable that Warren Moon is the only QB blacks can muster up when talking about great quarterbacks.

Cunningham was a decent QB once he quit running first but after a decade in the league that should be any QB.Cullpepper had the makings of a good QB but after screwing up both knees he was done.Wilson and Kapernick have potential but Warren is easily the best colored QB ever.

Now that he is a commentator i wish he would keep his stupid crap to himself however.

dwid

Hall of Famer
Cunningham was a decent QB once he quit running first but after a decade in the league that should be any QB.Cullpepper had the makings of a good QB but after screwing up both knees he was done.Wilson and Kapernick have potential but Warren is easily the best colored QB ever.

Now that he is a commentator i wish he would keep his stupid crap to himself however.
Yeah that happened only one year at the age of 35. One of two healthy seasons (where he made it most of the games) in his 30's.

Last edited: