Black QBs in the NFL

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Very astute first post Gameover. You are correct in noticing that black quarterbacks have always been run-first, and that has always been a detriment until the miraculous "advent" of the read-option-spread offense that features the latest round of black QBs. On the flip-side of this, and something that here on caste football are quick to point out, is that white QB's are NOT ALLOWED to run this type of "black only" offense in the NFL, in spite of being the dominant dual-threat QB's in college. The number of white QB's ignored and not in the league that would be equal to/superior than the RG3's, Midget Wilsons, Colin Kraepernicks would fill the rest of this page.

I wouldn't even be reading anything written by a brotha.

Sometimes they have worthwhile insights, but any time there is a black-vs-white position battle, you can throw it all out the window because the black writer is going to support the black guy always.

Same as in the Trayvon case -- turn GZ into a short pudgy unathletic black dude, and I bet at least 50% of black people would admit that Trayvon got what was coming to him.

PHillisFan

Master
Anyone see krapernicks stat line? 1/2 - 3 yds and somehow that's a non story whereas tebows performance is. typical. very typical.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Already injured even though they're babying him:

A Saturday morning MRI revealed swelling in E.J. Manuel's left knee, and he needs to undergo a "minor knee procedure." He'll miss the rest of preseason, and then be "re-evaluated." Manuel is likely having his knee scoped, so his Week 1 status is certainly in question. Kevin Kolb will start next week's preseason game, and the door has been flung wide open for him to snatch the starting job, at least temporarily. The timing couldn't be worse. Manuel had sewn up the job after two solid preseason efforts.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Already injured even though they're babying him:

A Saturday morning MRI revealed swelling in E.J. Manuel's left knee, and he needs to undergo a "minor knee procedure." He'll miss the rest of preseason, and then be "re-evaluated." Manuel is likely having his knee scoped, so his Week 1 status is certainly in question. Kevin Kolb will start next week's preseason game, and the door has been flung wide open for him to snatch the starting job, at least temporarily. The timing couldn't be worse. Manuel had sewn up the job after two solid preseason efforts.

Kolb is another white quarterback that is extremely hated by the media and fans. It seems anywhere he plays he is knocked by the fans.

Wes Woodhead

Mentor
Kolb is another white quarterback that is extremely hated by the media and fans. It seems anywhere he plays he is knocked by the fans.

Very true. Kevin Kolb, Colt McCoy, Tebow, Jake Locker, Gabbert and pretty much ANY QB that is a legitimate duel threat. Those are the guys who receive the most hatred. Its like if your a white QB you better be a strictly pocket passer, or you will be hated, and run out of a chance to start.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
With the black quarterback Manuel injured in Buffalo hopefully Tuel can continue to perform well and perhaps create a schuler/frerotte situation down the road. Tuel was pretty overlooked, he was a good qb playing on a bad team. He got roughed up pretty good in college but I think that adversity can help him. He also tested out very well athletically during the predraft process.

Gameover

Very astute first post Gameover. You are correct in noticing that black quarterbacks have always been run-first, and that has always been a detriment until the miraculous "advent" of the read-option-spread offense that features the latest round of black QBs. On the flip-side of this, and something that here on caste football are quick to point out, is that white QB's are NOT ALLOWED to run this type of "black only" offense in the NFL, in spite of being the dominant dual-threat QB's in college. The number of white QB's ignored and not in the league that would be equal to/superior than the RG3's, Midget Wilsons, Colin Kraepernicks would fill the rest of this page.

Thank you, and I agree that run first QBs have always been a huge detriment. There is a reason why only one black QB has ever won a SB(and Doug Williams wasn't even very good).

As far as the read-option, in my opinion, it's more of a fad, similar to the wildcat offense, though I could be wrong about that. All a defense needs to do to stop the option plays is to hit the QB hard play after play. Since many of the QBs running the option are smaller(RG3, Wilson) they are more likely to get hurt then your typical QB. All it takes is for a few key QBs to get hurt, before teams decide it's not worth it to run the option.

Sometimes they have worthwhile insights, but any time there is a black-vs-white position battle, you can throw it all out the window because the black writer is going to support the black guy always.

Same as in the Trayvon case -- turn GZ into a short pudgy unathletic black dude, and I bet at least 50% of black people would admit that Trayvon got what was coming to him.

Completely agreed on all counts. Black writers also see racism in the most illogical, and idiotic places such as when ESPNs Michael Wilbon compared the National Basketball Association to slavery, and called the NBA owners, "plantation owners".

Like Gilda Radner said. "It's always something." That's very true of black QB's. This time it's the guy in Buffalo, emanuel, he's hurt. Won't be long now before more of them go down. They have no staying power. RGIII and Vick are done at some point the other two out on the coast will do something stupid or go down with injury, whatever comes first. Let's not forget the immortal Cam Newton either. Only the Lord knows what kind of idiocy he's got up his sleeve. As for the TB guy, he'll be replaced this year. He's run out his string - just not goodenuff.

joegoofinoff...

davidholly

Mentor
Well the visor wearing wigger named Vick the starter :sad:

In all fairness Vick played well this preseason. Game 3 of the preseason will his first full game though, his problems with consistency and injuries will materialize early I predict.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
As Foobar pointed out in the Riley Cooper thread, this became more likely to happen once Vick stood up for Cooper. Vick is 33, past his prime, easily injured, I'm not bothered by it at all. And if he helps Riley Cooper achieve a thousand yard receiving season (something never accomplished by Jeremy Maclin) along with 8 or 10 TDs and the team's White TEs do well, I may become a Michael Vick fan until his inevitable departure from Philly in a year or two. :icon_wink:

dwid

Hall of Famer
about the read option going extinct

"Every guy I've talked to is going to go after the quarterback," said Hall of Fame coach
John Madden, co-chairman of the NFL's safety committee. "That's going to be their answer. If you watch what they did last year, a lot of guys played the quarterback. If he pitches, get off him. If he keeps it, tackle him. Now, they're just going to go after him whether he pitches or not."

This strategy is what I've been taught going against "flashy" option qbs. Gee, the only guy I can think that would be able to hold up on that is.....Tim Tebow, and its exactly the strategy teams used against him when in Denver. Strange how they didn't do that all the time last year....

and the rules don't protect the qb once he is a threat to run it, so unless they change that (won't be surprised). I noticed Carolina going away from the read option this year, maybe just preseason, i don't know, Cam has regressed.

[url]http://www.latimes.com/sports/football/nfl/la-sp-nfl-spread-offense-20130821,0,7156166.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+latimes%2Fsports%2Ffootball%2Fnfl+(L

I just hope teams have come up with more than this, because the rb can get you for big chunks of yards doing this, and someone wondering why it was so successful, this is one reason...

[/URL]"NFL defensive ends and outside linebackers are not used to having to sit there and read a mesh point between a quarterback and a running back," said NFL Network personnel expert Mike Mayock, referring to the moment of a handoff, or faked handoff, when it's unclear who is keeping the ball.
"The DeMarcus Wares of the world just want to come off the edge and create havoc," he said, referring to the Dallas Cowboys' star pass rusher, "and you can't do that. When you've done one thing for a lot of years — and maybe you haven't played against any option since you were in junior high — and now you're seeing something new. Last year it caught some teams by surprise."

Last edited:

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Green Bay Packers (determined to be the Green Bay Blackers in a few seasons) have cut Graham Harrell while promoting Vince Young to be Aaron Rodgers' backup. Please stay healthy Aaron.

The next step is for a team in this league of endless upside and redemption for black players only no matter how weak their talent level or poor their character, to sign DuhMarcus Russell and "enable" him to rise to the top of their depth chart at QB. One can imagine the script writers at the NFL Network are already feverishly preparing new episodes about Young, Russell and Terrell Pryor for the 2015 season of "A Football Life."

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Reports are that Pryor will start for the Raiders - what a ****ing joke - **** this league

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Let em the Raiders are going to be bad. Very friggin bad lol

Tannehill17

Mentor
http://www.lancastereaglegazette.co...140015/It-s-Golden-Age-black-quarterbacks-NFL

Great news everyone. Apparently is the Golden Age of black quarterbacks. Seriously read this terrible article. The jerk off even plays "what if" with Alkili Smith.

That article sucked. What it fails to recognize is that the read option is a gimmick and its starting to be figured out by opposing defenses (last nights Seahawks vs 49ers snoozefest was evident of that) Once they can't run that offense in the pros, what do they have? You're left with a bunch of subpar QB's that can't run a pro-style offense. The best college QB in the country is clearly Stanford's Kevin Hogan who's picking up right where Andrew Luck left off. Bridgewater is a toothpick that will get destroyed in the NFL (even if he does put up decent numbers for a while) and Tajh Boyd is nothing special. Just another weak QB class being touted to be better than what it really is.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The fatal defect in the black QB push is that they can only run for a season or two, after that they often start losing their elusiveness, but more importantly running QBs almost always become injury prone QBs. So they have to learn the "White" way of playing the position otherwise they have short careers, and few adapt successfully.

Yes Don, correct, But there's always the xfactor as well, which is they're black and at any given second may revert to form. Even if they are wonderful Qbs, they may revert and hold up a Vietnamese run ghetto liquor store and beat up the 79 lb Vietnamese woman store clerk who just handed over the money as demanded and rape her metally challenged ****er Spaniel puppy and burn the place to the ground. All this only hours after they just signed a $57 dollar contract with $37 million dollars guaranteed. There's always that possiblitiy.

joegoofinoff...

dwid

Hall of Famer
That article sucked. What it fails to recognize is that the read option is a gimmick and its starting to be figured out by opposing defenses (last nights Seahawks vs 49ers snoozefest was evident of that) Once they can't run that offense in the pros, what do they have? You're left with a bunch of subpar QB's that can't run a pro-style offense. The best college QB in the country is clearly Stanford's Kevin Hogan who's picking up right where Andrew Luck left off. Bridgewater is a toothpick that will get destroyed in the NFL (even if he does put up decent numbers for a while) and Tajh Boyd is nothing special. Just another weak QB class being touted to be better than what it really is.
even dwf type magazines acknowledges that Bridgwater plays a very soft schedule. I don't see him as a mobile qb, i see him as another Geno Smith who is supposed to be super accurate but will fail in the pros.

Last edited:

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
even dwf type magazines acknowledges that Bridgwater plays a very soft schedule. I don't see him as a mobile qb, i see him as another Geno Smith who is supposed to be super accurate but will fail in the pros.

Blake Bortles plays in the same conference as the next black hype Bridgewater and gets none of the accolades. I expect Bortles to make a name for himself this year, he has all the tools and is a QB I am really excited about.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Looks like Weeden is out next week so the Browns are going to more than likely tap into some of Jason Campbell's unlimited upside. An easy win for the vikings!

It sounds like the Browns are very interested in Johnny Football though which is a good thing.

dwid

Hall of Famer
Looks like Weeden is out next week so the Browns are going to more than likely tap into some of Jason Campbell's unlimited upside. An easy win for the vikings!

It sounds like the Browns are very interested in Johnny Football though which is a good thing.
the only problem is the Browns aren't stacked on offense except left tackle and center. Maybe Swope can come out of "retirement". At least they have an emerging tight end, they just need the receivers to be average, which shouldn't be hard with coverage Cameron has been receiving. Bess supposed to be the black Welker but can't do anything unless paired with a top receiver, last year it was Hartline, the year before that was Brandon Marshall and Hartline. Statistically his best season was with Hartline lined up at wideout, he gained the most yards per game for his career, but only played in 13, other wise he would have been at around 950 yards.

Last edited: