Bad Omen for Valuev v. Oldyfield

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Well, neither fighter did much and the announcers were pro-Oldyfield. But Evander deserved the win.

But, hey, how many times have our guys got screwed (Golota, Axel Schulz, Dale Brown to name just a few in recent years)?

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I can't believe Valuev. I have seen him fight before and he fought much better in the past. He basically threw nothing throughout the whole fight. With his reach advantage and size he should have been landing lots of punches. Valuev has faced faster fighters than Holyfield like Owen Beck and Chagaev and landed against them. He looked like he was drugged or something.

Bart

Hall of Famer
I didn't tune in until the sixth or seventh round. It lloked like dancing with the stars. Both fighters should have lost, but Valuev for what it's worth spent most of the time trying to catch up with Holyfield who was running laps, it seemed. Extremely boring. Because of that you could say NV was the aggressor. Usually the title holder has the edge in that a challenger must take his crown, not play patty - cake.

Edited by: Bart

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Bad luck for Evander who fought as well as he could. He did keep backing away which might have given points to Nico.

I agree. Valuev has beaten Ruiz, Lyakhovich, McCline, Donald and lost a close one to Chagaev. Not one of his best performances. I bet he won't be 310 for his next fight!

white is right

Hall of Famer
It looked like he couldn't fire if Evander gave him any movement. Holyfield was just too old to really earn the rounds. Instead he tried to steal them(and did for the most part). Still this decision will set back boxing in the eyes of public. Also what goes around comes around. 9 years ago Evander "earned" a draw against Lennox Lewis and nobody thought that fight was close either.
smiley5.gif
smiley11.gif
smiley7.gif
Edited by: white is right

waterbed

Mentor
whiteathlete33 said:
It could well be a fix. They want a black champion. They have been struggling to get one. Old man Holyfield taking the title from Valuev would satisfy the media pigs and wiggers.

I saw the fight on the german channel.the fight was bad but not coming close to the disgracefull crowd,with 90% being white.they don't had any respect for the white figher.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Valuev didn't appear to be aggressive enough, he wasn't getting his punches off when he had the chance on the inside.

He did seem flat, a bit like De La Hoya in the Pacquiao fight. However from the 5th round on, he did manage to land a few.

I wonder if Valuev was holding back a bit, because of Holyfield's age and fame?

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
JD1986 wrote:

"I wonder if Valuev was holding back a bit, because of Holyfield's age and fame?"

I think it was obvious that the 46 y/o Holyfield had little left in the tank, but followed a good game plan in attempting to beat Valuev.

Valuev's "win" does nothing positive for us. Nothing at all.

I hate to say this, but Valuev was embarrassing tonight.

The Klitschkos are the real champions.

GiovaniMarcon

Mentor
It reminded me of two old men at a park fighting each other over a bad game of chess.

The announcer from the stream I watched was kind of funny. He kept saying, "This is boring. Pro wrestling looks more real deal than grandpa Holyfield."

For what it's worth, Valuev got his Christmas present early.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Liverlips said:
Valuev should win but he came in at a career low 310 pounds.

Nicolay usually weights about 320 for his fights. Whenever I see a fighter drop pounds dramatically before a fight they always lose (Dela Hoya v. Pacquaio, Chris Byrd when he went to light heavy, Adam Richards v. Chazz Witherspoon, Riddick Bowe in the second Golota fight, Roy Jones when he came back down to 175 from heavyweight ...etc).

Major and rapid weight loss seems to drain an athlete.

Good point, but a huge man like Valuev shouldn't be affected a great deal by a drop or gain of 10lbs. His weight probably fluctuates that much during the course of asingleday.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Guys.. Valuev just isn't that good. He is huge but has no knockout power. His KO percentage is around 65%, but he is over 7' tall and 320+ lbs. He should be throwing bombs and KO'ing his opponents left and right, but.. it ain't happening. Wlad or Vitali will knock him out, which is probably why Don King had him fight Holyfield instead.

Maple Leaf

Mentor
White Shogun said:
Guys.. Valuev just isn't that good. He is huge but has no knockout power. His KO percentage is around 65%, but he is over 7' tall and 320+ lbs. He should be throwing bombs and KO'ing his opponents left and right, but.. it ain't happening. Wlad or Vitali will knock him out, which is probably why Don King had him fight Holyfield instead.

Shogun, that is essentially it -anything else is hope or delusion.

Westside

Hall of Famer
I never believed the hype regarding Valuev. When he struggled with lousy John "the loser man" Ruiz I knew he was just a novelty. A huge oger with no power, just Lurch's distant cousin,
smiley36.gif
making money because no current Heavyweight except Vitali or Wlad can dent his chin.

If I am him, take the rematch with Evander, but by that time Evander will be using crutches and Motrin to get into the ring.
smiley36.gif

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Valuev is a worthless fighter. I hate to say anything negative about white fighters but Valuev is about as bad as they come. To have a reach advatage, outweigh your opponent by 100 lbs, a one foot height advantage, and 10 years younger and put up that kind of performance is ridiculous. I really don't know how this guy is champion. He refuses to fight the Klitschko's as he knows he would get destroyed. I was sick to my stomach after the fight when Valuev put up his hands in the air like he won the fight. Absolutely disgusting.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Yeah, about the only thing Valuev does do well is take punches.

I saw some of his earlier fights, and he was taking some serious punches (from bums, but they were still hard shots). I think we would all admit that Valuev's chin is very good. Valuev's never been in trouble, never.

As far as his offense, well, he's worthless. As Westside and others have pointed out, his "power" is pathetic. He's also a very boring fighter to watch. As someone else has stated, he's an embarressment to our real white warriors.Edited by: Thrashen

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I was furious after watching this fight. Valuev did absolutely nothing against a 46 year old. It really is a disgrace he is a champion.He actually had the nerve to raise his hands in victory after the fight. I couldn't believe it. He considers himself a champion but he refused to fight the Klitschko's.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Deadlift said:
Won't Valuev be gone from the boxing scene relatively soon?

I'm hoping his promoter will cash Valuev out against a Klitschko. Sauerland didn't look too pleased with Nicolay's lack of effort on Saturday.

Amren.com

Mentor
I saw the fight live but had to deal with something else so it didn't have my full attention. However, the fight was awful and I thought at the time Valuev was throwing the fight. Because no one else is saying that, I now just assume Valuev sucks and now know how Chageav won so easily.

So hopefully Valuev either fights Wlad next or fights Ruslan and loses and Ruslan fights Wlad with the WBA belt at stake.

I suppose Valuev fighting a big slugger like Peter would be worth watching but a hit and run fight like he had against Holyfield or would have against Sultan and probably did have against Ruslan already would be painful to watch.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Well I didn't see that fight but Chagaev won by majority decision over Valuev. Chagaev is a really good fighter. I have him rated as the 4th best heavyweight after the Klitschko's and Povetkin. I have seen Valuev fight before and he showed some skill. I don't know what the hell he was doing on Saturday. If a 46 year old man can do that for him why is he champion?

JD074

Master
Eh, this fight doesn't matter- or at least shouldn't matter. If there were only one belt and one champion per division, like it should be, this would've been just another meaningless fight between two top 20 fighters. There are only two relevant fighters in the Heavyweight division, Wlad and Vitali, and it will remain that way until someone steps up and becomes a credible contender. Edited by: JD074

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Well there are lots of great white fighters in heavyweight. Ibragimov, Chagaev, and Povetkin just to name a few. After watching Valuev fight Holyfield I now know Valuev is a fake.