Adam Morrison/ Gonzaga

JD074

Master
After being down to Oklahoma State the entire game, and without Raivio, Gonzaga claws its way to a victory, with a dramatic bank shot from Adam Morrison to seal the deal. Gotta love this guy.

I tell you, good commentating is as refreshing as bad commentating is annoying. The enthusiastic, unabashed, un-self-conscious praise from the (black) play by play commentator was nice. And that last sigh from the color guy, right when they were ending the broadcast, was pretty funny. It was like he couldn't take it anymore. Sweet. Edited by: JD074

Poacher

Mentor
Morrison rocks. He's leading the country in scoring right now with almost 30 pts a game.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Do you think Morrison will be drafted? I remember all last season the media made fun of him for his supposed lack of athleticism. In typical white style, Adam played along with it.Then, it didn't even seem like he'd get a sniff as a free agent. But the way he's scoring this year, would be nice to see a team take him in the first round.

robcat

Guru
The media likes to mold Morrisons image as that of a geeky eccentric. That was the early knock on Steve Nash, which took a long time to dispel. Steve is somewhat eccentric (just an independent thinker really), but he is also a superb all-around athlete with great floor vision, presence and leadership.

Morrison is like many white athletes, slower to develop than the early developing Negroes, but there is a huge reward for those with the patience and foresight to develop the Adam Morrisons of basketball. But how many coaches have such patience, when there are black teenagers ballin who already look like they're 35 year old men.

He's a lottery lock, I'd assume.

speedster

Mentor
Morrison is a junior but this will probably be his last year.He will be the first Zag to leave early even though there was a lot of talk about Ronny Turiaf skipping his senior season he ended up staying.No doubt that Adam is a first rounder.

Realistic

Don said, "the media made fun of him for his supposed lack of
athleticism." I've always wondered why some of these supposedly
unathletic whites CAN'T BE STOPPED by the supposedly more athletic
blacks? The first time I saw Morrison was in the NCAA tournament
last year and nobody on the floor could stop him. Same in the
NBA, why can Nash go around them like they're standing still when he's
so unathletic? It's sickening.

JD074

Master
He is an eccentric, apparently an admirer of Marx. I find that revolting, but oh well. I can separate what an athlete does on the floor and off it- unless an athlete is a thug, I can't forgive that. He's a very talented player, regardless of any misguided liberal opinions (and obviously not "thuggish.") Same with Nash, probably very liberal, but oh well.

I won't predict whether Morrison will be drafted in the middle to late first round, or a lottery pick, but it'll be somewhere in the first round.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Sports Illustrated has an article on Morrison this week. Regarding his draftability and endorsement potential, it states, "While NBA scouts are divided on where Morrison might land if he declares for next June's draft -- some say in the top three; others, citing his spotty defense, say top 15 -- at least one agent thinks Morrison could be No. 1 in endorsements."

Also noted is that Morrison is sparking a debate: "Who's the nation's top college basketball player: Morrison or Redick?" Two white players at the top of the college basketball world. Who'd a thunk it!

surfsider

Guru
You beat me to it Don about the Redick/Morrison player of the year battle. Jimmy Dykes made the comment during the game he did today that it was between those two(and only those two) for POTY.

Maybe Morrison just likes to read Marx? He's a legitimate
philosopher, regardless whether one enjoys what his ideas did
to the 20th century.

JD074

Master
Don Wassall said:
Also noted is that Morrison is sparking a debate:  "Who's the nation's top college basketball player:  Morrison or Redick?"  Two white players at the top of the college basketball world.  Who'd a thunk it!

Another reason why the no age limit in the NBA has probably been a good thing for white college players.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Gonzaga wins again tonight behind Morrison and Ravio is back at point guard.They are now 10th in the nation.I don't know who is better out of Morrison & Reddick but we can't go wrong either way!
smiley2.gif

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Gonzaga lost a tough one tonight but Morrison still managed to score 34 points.He almost go into a fight and I love the fact that he didn't back down at all.This kid is tough and very talented.He is quite a leader!

speedster

Mentor
Wait until Josh Heytvelt comes back in February.He's a real athletic big-man with great hops.I don't know if he'll make a big impact this year,but he will sometime down the road.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Morrison pours in 34 points in another Zags Win!They are up to #7 in the nation.I love watching this team play.They remind me of the old 80's Boston Celtics Teams that won alot of NBA Championships.On another note,Derek Ravio is leading the nation in free throw percentage at a amazing 95%.He is a career 91% shooter.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Adam has 9 points at halftime, with GU leading San Diego 31-26.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Adam finished tied for the team lead with 16 points as GU won by a point. They are now 16-3 and will likely move up a spot in next weeks polls!
smiley32.gif

The NBA has altered its product (don't DARE call it basketball!) to suit a street-style player rather than a fundamentally-sound baller like Morrison. It's a subtle way to keep Whites out of the league.

Think about it: athleticism IS the key factor in the NBA because fundamentals are no longer part of the game.

Jumping is prized because the league has a Rule 231.42 that says "Any black player can pick up his dribble at the 3-point stripe, as long as he runs the ball up to the rim for a showtime dunk."

Rule 317.4, which was implemented when Shaq entered the league, says "All black players exceeding 7'2" in height may camp in the lane for as long as it takes for a teammate to deliver the ball into the post."

Morrison will have a nice NBA career, but the nature of the NBA game will limit him to an average of about 14 ppg.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Gonzaga is now 7 in both polls!

KG2422

Mentor
I think Morrison will average more than 14ppg in the NBA. He's a slasher ,not just a shooter. I remember when Wally Scerbiak(spelling?) was playing so well in college. He has not gotten the amount of shots he deserves throughout his career until just this season. He could have been doing this, scoring, the whole time. I hope whoever does get Morrison uses him as a go to player on the offensive end. It's all about whether the organization is anti-white or not. Who knows what would have happened if Don Nelson hadn't been the one to draft Nowitzki. He would have probably been given the axe early on because he wasn't used to the NBA "style" of play.

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
Morrison can hit shots from anywhere on the floor. He had 41 last night and was unstoppable. I couldn't believe half of the shots he was hitting, and I've watched most of his games already this season. He plays so hard, and his excitement when his teammate hit the 3 to win the game this past weekend shows that he loves the game and winning and not just his own stats.

guest301

Hall of Famer
It's his mid-range game that makes morrison such a special basketball player. Alot of players can stand behing the three-point line and shoot the rock, alot also can stand 6 feet from the rim and dunk or shoot layups. Very few however, have a adequate pull up and shoot midrange game...it's a lost and dying art that few can master.