2023 College Football Bowl Season

Phall

Master

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Looks like Mendoza had a rough second half. Have to wonder if the hyper-extended knee injury played a role. Anyways Wilcox needs to build around him rather than the transfer quota.

TwentyTwo

Master
Texas Tech (RS Freshman) 6'-2" 210 WR Coy Eakin 7 receptions 106 yards & TD in last nights Independence Bowl Win
.....WR Brady Boyd 3 rec 37 yards

Cal former Walk on (Soph. 6'-4" 200) WR Trond Grizzell had 6 receptions for 80 yards

Former Ohio State " Walk-on" / now Ohio U. WR Sam Wiglusz 5 catches for 64 yards in Myrtle Beach Bowl
In 2 seasons has 129 receptions ; 1,537 yards & 14 TDs!

Ohio U. RB Nolan McCormick 11 carries 40 yards rushing

RB Carson Steele's absence took away the luster of the L.A. Bowl. But QB Collin Schlee's Running Back like skills on display ( 7 carries 127 yards rushing) were a nice Consolation Prize. Would have like to have seen RB Colson Yankoff get a few carries.
QB Ethan Garbers was impressive in relief!

TwentyTwo

Master
Entertaining "Toastery Bowl" today! (Not in Bahamas this year Stadium being revamped)
Western Kentucky QB Austin Reed Opted out ; back up Turner Helton struggled early .

Enter 3rd team 6'-6" 235 Freshman QB Caden Veltkamp who went 40 for 52 ...383 yards & 5 TDs + 53 yards rushing !
WR Easton Messer had 7 catches for 68 yards.

Big comeback 38 - 35 OT Win after trailing 28 - 0 !

Old Dominion QB Grant Wilson had 126 yards rushing & 2 TDs on just 8 carries! But only 123 yards & TD Passing

FBS Leading Tackler 2 years in a Row LB Jason Henderson DNP Leg injury
356 Tackles the past Two seasons! (186 & 170!)

Last edited:

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Entertaining Toast Bowl today! (Not in Bahamas this year Stadium being revamped)
Western Kentucky QB Austin Reed Opted out ; back up Turner Helton struggled early .

Enter 3rd team 6'-6" 235 Freshman QB Caden Veltkamp who went 40 for 52 ...383 yards & 5 TDs + 53 yards rushing !
WR Easton Messer had 7 catches for 68 yards.

Big comeback 38 - 35 OT Win after trailning 28 - 0 !

Old Dominion QB Grant Wilson had 126 yards rushing & 2 TDs on just 8 carries! But only 123 yards & TD Passing
FBS Leading Tackler LB Jason Henderson also "Opted out" ...just a Junior wonder if he is considering going Pro?
356 Tackles the past Two seasons! (186 & 170!)

Sounds like WKU may have found their QB for next year!

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Looks like Syracuse plays South Florida tonight.

Let's hope a favorite of @Phall Dan Villari has a big game for the Orange. USF WR Sean Atkins has a shot at hitting 1k yards tonight.

TwentyTwo

Master
USF WR Sean Atkins has a shot at hitting 1k yards tonight.
Yes sir! Swiss Army Knife Sean Atkins finished with 6 receptions 93 yards & 2 TDs tonight vs Syracuse + 21 yards passing & 2 carries 15 yards....
Ends this season with 1,054 YARDS Receiving ! Not bad at just 5'-10" 172lbs!
It was nice to see Atkins as a regular on the Weekly Stats this season!

Tuesday's Frisco/ Cattle Trail Bowl
UTSA QB Owen McCown (dad Josh QB NFL) had 251 yards passing & 2 TDs. Programs first Bowl victory in school history!

Marshall RB Ethan Payne 11 carries 34 yards & TD + 1 rec 5 yards
QB Cole Pennington (dad NFL QB Chad) 258 yards passing

Marshall D-End/OLB Owen Porter should be on an NFL Roster next season ; a true stand out being the only White defender i saw playing for the Thundering Herd!

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
John Rhys Plumlee leading UCF against Georgia Tech in the only bowl game on today, the Gasparilla Bowl in Tampa. Plumlee has looked good despite a giant brace on his right knee, UCF up 14-0 in the 1st quarter. Haynes King just busted off a nice run for GT to put them in scoring position. Both teams are pretty dark, but both start athletic white QB's.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Plumlee is another guy suspiciously getting no attention from the pre-draft all star games. He has been injury prone but very dynamic when on the field moreso as an athlete than a QB and isn't that what the NFL is all about? Or at least that is the lie we are fed.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Plumlee is getting most of his yards through the air in this game. He's been throwing extremely well and still shows the speed and quickness despite the 95 pound brace. Threw a really nice ball that should have been a 3rd TD pass that was dropped. The defender made a nice play but the receiver should have caught it and secured it before the corner wacked at it. On the other side, King just led the Yellowjackets down the field for a score, ran it in himself from about 5 yrds out.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Plumlee is another guy suspiciously getting no attention from the pre-draft all star games. He has been injury prone but very dynamic when on the field moreso as an athlete than a QB and isn't that what the NFL is all about? Or at least that is the lie we are fed.

It's kind of like what they did to Eric Crouch and he even won the Heisman. Crickets for the most part. Hope Plumlee gets a fair shot but
I won't hold my breath.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Haynes King played a great game for G Tech, leading them to the win. Before halftime, Plumlee led UCF the length of the field only to end up a little short of the end zone with a few seconds on the clock. Malzahn opted to kick the FG, which was shanked. After that, the wind was out of the UCF sails. Plumlee looked gimpy, throws were bad. Wasn't a good look. But late in the game Plumlee left the game and the Upside American backup came in. His throws were REALLY bad. His final INT was a thing to behold.

Phall

Master
Looks like Syracuse plays South Florida tonight.

Let's hope a favorite of @Phall Dan Villari has a big game for the Orange. USF WR Sean Atkins has a shot at hitting 1k yards tonight.
The makeshift gameplan from the interim coach did not flatter Villari or his (existing) skillset. It's unfortunate even moreso because Villari trained as a tight end all year, and I assume he did not throw regularly in practice all year (possibly not for ~2 years).

I'm interested to see what the new young (black) coach Fran Brown does with his team in the next couple of years. There is an interesting theory, which I can't recall being suggested anywhere else than this forum for any profession, that black football coaches might actually be more interested (self-interested) in white players on the whole, ie giving them chances for playing time, whereas so many white Boomer coaches will default to prioritize blacks whenever possible.

No idea about Villari's eligibilty next year (don't care to look it up) but I'm glad he finally got a run on a big stage at the position he probably should have been being groomed to play.

Warhawk_46

Master
Looks like Steele did not dress for the bowl game. Garbers is out with an injury. Have to wonder if Steele is entering the portal again or going to roll the dice and declare for the draft.
He should find another team. As I said from the outset, UCLA was not a good choice. He would have failed much better going to one of the Big 10 schools. Plenty could have used him (Iowa?).

Warhawk_46

Master
The athlete designation only applies when black.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
He should find another team. As I said from the outset, UCLA was not a good choice. He would have failed much better going to one of the Big 10 schools. Plenty could have used him (Iowa?).

I do agree but we are not sure which teams actually offered him in the portal. If UCLA was the biggest team then the move makes sense. I do hope next season he gets 100 more carries. The Bruins this year were a bit disheveled as Kelly was trying to cater to his now departed 5 star black quarterback which impacted play calling earlier in the season.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Northwestern beat Utah in their bowl game last night ending the season at 8-5. Probably one of the better caste stories of the year.

wile

Master
Northwestern beat Utah in their bowl game last night ending the season at 8-5. Probably one of the better caste stories of the year.
NU used to be my underdog team but the last 3 seasons of absolutely awful offenses of pure futility put a damper on that so I tuned into the 3rd quarter and nothing changed so I went to bed. Hopefully next year they find some offense

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
NU used to be my underdog team but the last 3 seasons of absolutely awful offenses of pure futility put a damper on that so I tuned into the 3rd quarter and nothing changed so I went to bed. Hopefully next year they find some offense
Offense wasn’t terrible this year as compared with the previous few seasons. Utah had a good defense. I do hope that Northwestern continues to be a double digit White starter team with the new head coach.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Pick 6 Texas State LB Bryan Holloway. He overachieved his way to the end zone. The announcers assure us.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Padgett looks bad for Rice! OL isn’t helping out either. Stinks wanted to see Connors and McCaffrey out in space.

Kurt Warner’s kid running offense next season should be interesting!