2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Every single Rangers game seems to have a very low score. That's not necessarily a bad thing and Lundquist has been great in net but I'm finding their games less interesting. I think LA-Phoenix will also be low scoring. If it is an LA-New York Rangers final Bettman will be delirious with joy. If it's New Jersey-Phoenix - not so much!
Lets go Rangers!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Game 2 of the Rangers-Devils series was intense and entertaining. I'm rooting for the Devils because of Marty Brodeur but I think the Rangers are a little better and will pull out the series and face the #8 seed Kings, who have inexplicably turned into a great imitation of the 1977 Montreal Canadiens since the playoffs began.

Rebajlo

Mentor
The Kings dispose of the Coyotes by 4 games to 1, following a 4-3 OT win in game 5.

I've never liked the Rangers, but as they are the only remaining team with a 100% White roster I am hoping that they:

(a) at least reach the final; and

(b) win the Stanley Cup

Remember, the Devils have part-black Bryce Salvador, while the Kings "boast" the visibly part-Indian (i.e. Native American) Jordan Nolan and Dwight King... :icon_wink:

white is right

Hall of Famer
The Kings dispose of the Coyotes by 4 games to 1, following a 4-3 OT win in game 5.

I've never liked the Rangers, but as they are the only remaining team with a 100% White roster I am hoping that they:

(a) at least reach the final; and

(b) win the Stanley Cup

Remember, the Devils have part-black Bryce Salvador, while the Kings "boast" the visibly part-Indian (i.e. Native American) Jordan Nolan and Dwight King... :icon_wink:
I assumed King was a Mulatto as he has "kinky" hair and is quite swarthy. Nolan is the son of Ted Nolan he of the I've been blackballed out of the NHL because of my feud with John Muckler.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Game 1 of the Finals goes into overtime. The NHL bigwigs presumably are happy that two huge markets are represented, but the Devils and Kings also have two of the least passionate fan bases in the league. It will be interesting to see what the TV ratings are. The crowd in Newark (!) for Game 1 was quiet for much of the game, not much different than a crowd at a regular season game in many cities.

Matra2

Master
The crowd in Newark (!) for Game 1 was quiet for much of the game, not much different than a crowd at a regular season game in many cities.

I don't think too many Devils fans are from Newark itself. Apparently the arena was built in a "bad area" as part of an urban rejuvenation plan.

GiovaniMarcon

Mentor
Here in Los Angeles I noticed a lot of "Go Kings" banners on storefronts and bars, so even though LA is totally undeserving of a Stanley Cup, it's good that White athletes are getting some recognition here, especially since Kobe Bryant and the stupid Lakers predictably imploded and blamed everything on Pao Gasol and Blake.

If the Kings actually manage to win the cup, I predict lots of sensible celebrating by Whites, and of course some looting, fighting, vandalism, and possible shootings and murderings by the Blacks and Latinos, who will suddenly realize that they like hockey as much as basketball if it gives them a chance to act like sub-animals.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
does nj have a non-white?
AR-120529724.jpg&MaxW=620&MaxH=330

Bryce Salvador

I've always supported The Bruins, also because of the team whiteness. I've however asked myself about two of their players : Nathan Horton (who has a bit a Pepe look) and Chris Kelly (who could pass as a mestizo).

230px-NathanHortonBruins2012.jpg chris-kelly.jpg

Does someone know anything about their ethnic background ?

In this final I see the Kings winning over the Devils in 6 or 7 matchs.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Kings win in New Jersey in overtime for the second game in a row. The Devils played very hard all game knowing how desperate their plight was already. Marty Brodeur was tremendous (still better at age 40 than the wildly over-rated Marc-Andre Fleury will ever be -- sorry but I'm still not over the Penguins pathetic first round performance), but then again Jonathan Quick has been an impenetrable bulwark for LA for the entire playoffs.

Assuming they finish off New Jersey -- especially if they do it in four straight now that the next two games are in LA -- has there ever been a better playoff run by a team in any of the four major pro leagues in the U.S., taking into consideration that the Kings entered the playoffs as the number eight seed in the West?

Rebajlo

Mentor
does nj have a non-white?

'sup bro -

Mate, You only had to read the rest of the post from which You quoted that line in order to discover the identity of the said non-White player. :icon_wink:

Freethinker kindly provided a photo of Bryce Salvador...

Rebajlo

Mentor
I assumed King was a Mulatto as he has "kinky" hair and is quite swarthy. Nolan is the son of Ted Nolan he of the I've been blackballed out of the NHL because of my feud with John Muckler.

white is right -

Wasn't Ted Nolan a class act, eh? Worst luck, Jordan Nolan got an assist in Game 1 of the final.

Dwight King is definitely a Metis. His older brother DJ, a goon who played for the Blues and Capitals but is currently with the AHL's Hershey Bears, looks a bit more "Native American":

i

8470294.jpg

Rebajlo

Mentor
I've always supported The Bruins, also because of the team whiteness. I've however asked myself about two of their players : Nathan Horton (who has a bit a Pepe look) and Chris Kelly (who could pass as a mestizo).

View attachment 317 View attachment 318

Does someone know anything about their ethnic background ?

In this final I see the Kings winning over the Devils in 6 or 7 matchs.

Von Winkelried -

I mentioned Nathan Horton's "dodgy Johnny Heitinga" look earlier in this thread, but I've never found any evidence which supports the theory of his non-White parentage. In today's climate, I'd say that if he had a single black great-grandparent, for example, this would be very well advertised...

Chris Kelly may appear a bit "suspicious" but, yet again, I don't know of any non-White parents or ancestors. In many photos, he looks completely White.

Here he is during his time with the Senators:

1418_3.jpg

8467967.jpg

As in the case of Nathan Horton, if he was part-black / mestizo, the NHL powers that be would trundle this information out as evidence that "hockey is for everyone"...

Rebajlo

Mentor
Assuming they finish off New Jersey -- especially if they do it in four straight now that the next two games are in LA -- has there ever been a better playoff run by a team in any of the four major pro leagues in the U.S., taking into consideration that the Kings entered the playoffs as the number eight seed in the West?

Don -

I wouldn't have a clue about the NBA, NFL, or MLB but in the NHL one would have to go back to the days of the "Original Six" to find an "equivalent", when the fourth-placed Maple Leafs swept the first-placed Red Wings in the 1949 final.

In that era, of course, four of the six teams progressed to the playoff stage. Toronto, however, had won the two previous Stanley Cups.

If we go all the way back to 1938 (!) when the NHL comprised eight teams, the Chicago Black Hawks defeated the Maple Leafs 3-1 in the best-of-five finals series. Chicago had finished third in the American Division and had the worst regular season record of the six teams which qualified for the playoffs.

My hockey trivia occassionally comes in handy... :bigsmile:

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Devils managed to stay alive for Game 5, but for them to come back and win the series would be even more phenomenal than the Kings' playoff run to this point.

A couple of things I'm really enjoying about the finals -- the broadcasting crew of Doc Emrick, Eddie Olczyk and Pierre McGuire is very good, as are Mike Milbury and Keith Jones in the studio. Even more impressive is the professionalism shown by the two teams on the ice -- no pushing and shoving after every whistle, which is so common in the NHL. If the Kings and Devils can refrain from such antics in this kind of a high-pressure situation, then so can every other team. Toughness and fighting are essential elements of the sport, but the constant mini-scrums after whistles have always struck me as lending a Roller Derby (or pro wrestling if you prefer) aspect to the league.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Devils were outplayed for much of the game but managed to squeak out another win to send it to Game 6 in L.A. tomorrow.

As predicted, the Kings won the Stanley Cup in 6 games. Jonathan Quick was named MVP of the play offs and has been one of the most valuable asset for the Los Angeles team alongside with Kopitar and Brown.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
After such a dominating, out of nowhere playoff run, it'll be interesting to see if the Kings put up a strong defense of their title next season in the parity-driven NHL.

Matra2

Master
I'm not a big fan of parity. I prefer dynasties, underdogs, and a bit of consistency from year to year.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I'm not a big fan of parity. I prefer dynasties, underdogs, and a bit of consistency from year to year.
Yes when teams like Chicago have to gut their teams to keep Kane and other stars and the following year are barely making the playoffs something is wrong. I noticed that the maligned LAPD was in full riot mode over what was described as a few hundred revelers. Nice to see law order was kept.....:frusty:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD6hI02v-so&feature=related

Rebajlo

Mentor
Those hefty penalties the Devils conceded in the first period of the final game pretty much killed them off, given that the KIngs scored three power play goals in four minutes.

The Kings lift the Grail - who would have predicted that a few weeks ago? I certainly didn't...