2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Matra2

Master
The local sports jocks were talking about that this morning. They are all Obama cheerleaders (and jewish) which is funny since the listening audience is neither.

I didn't even put on my local sports radio today because every presenter is a lefty (though none are Jewish) and all of them lambasted and ridiculed Thomas when he refused to meet Obama. They are so predictable I just knew they would be talking about this.

Matra2

Master
The Montreal Gazette is claiming Ward is a victim of racial insults on Twitter for scoring the winning goal. Apparently calling Thomas a racist and white trash for not loving Obama is fine but a couple of people out of millions on Twitter saying something about blacks is a newsworthy subject.

'sup bro?

Truthteller

Mentor
Should not surprise anyone, but this has now become a "Developing Story" (another term for Breaking News) on cable's most notorius left-wing sports outlet, once known as ESPN. They are simply now a sporting wing of MSNBC, where they use any chance they get to push their radical left-wing agenda, then mix in a few lame sports hi-lights (mostly NBA) in order to captivate moronic teens and mature DWF's. They will no doubt try very hard to make this "non-story" the sports equivalent of the George Zimmerann ordeal in hopes they can further their agenda of divide and conquer, using black vs. white racial tensions as their weapon. My guess is really no one will care, but they will keep trying. Especially with the Caps still in the Playoffs.

The female sportcenter anchor broke into the news to show the hi-lights from last night and then dubbed this an import "Developing Story" and showed the overweight Ted Leonsis' (Caps owner) comments. The Greek tyrant went on to note the people that made these comments should be "identified" and "punished". Next, the rapidly aging Sportcenter host, who is probably forced to wear a short skirt by her bosses, went on to note a racist tweet in England got some student 56 days in jail. That's where Marxist's at ESPN want to take this -- start pushing Net censorship and potential prison terms for those that don't toe the line.

Of course, black and "hispanic" tweeters and Net posters will be able to post racist stuff against any non-Jewish or heterosexual white male with impunity. They might even be encouraged by the radicals at ESPN. For whites, well that's different. Perhaps the day will come when we will not even be able to post at Caste Football without the fear of "punishment"? I can't see that happening in the U.S. anytime soon, but in Canada it might not be that far away from happening. Note the Wayne Simmonds 'bananna saga' back in 2011?

Rebajlo

Mentor
The Montreal Gazette is claiming Ward is a victim of racial insults on Twitter for scoring the winning goal. Apparently calling Thomas a racist and white trash for not loving Obama is fine but a couple of people out of millions on Twitter saying something about blacks is a newsworthy subject.

The moment I read that the Negro toerag Joel Ward had scored the winning goal in game 7 against Tim Thomas, I knew the "powers that be" would somehow manage to introduce a "racism" angle. Lo and behold, before one can say "collard greens" or "pack rape" we have the heroic match winner Ward subjected to "racist" tweets by "ignorant" White fans who apparently cannot stomach seeing a black man "dominate" yet another sport.

The rabid calls for the "identification" and "punishment" of the "perpetrators" provide an eerie foretaste of "Christmas future" (sorry "Holidays future"...). Here is what befell the Welsh bloke who made "vile and abhorrent" tweets about the black football player / heart attack victim Fabrice Muamba in the UK, that green and pleasant bastion of "democracy" and cooked breakfasts:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-17515992

Oh, yes, there's nothing better than that much-vaunted "freedom of speech", is there?

By the way, "Coal" Ward can add that magnificent effort to his prodigiously monstrous haul of six goals and eighteen points in 72 regular season games. :flame:

Yeah, on dat dere ev'dence wot we needs is mo' supa-affletick bruvvas in hockee, gnomesayin'....

screen-shot-2011-11-13-at-1-50-40-pm.png

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
The NY Rangers defeated Washington in Game 1 of their series. I'm anticipating an exciting series that goes at least 6 games.

Matra2

Master
It would be funny if the Phoenix Coyotes won the Cup only to be moved elsewhere, especially Quebec. (When the Nordiques moved from Quebec, where they never won anything, to Colorado, they won the Cup in their first year).

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Kings look unbeatable in the West, while the Devils have the Flyers on the ropes in the East. I wonder what the odds were on an L.A.-New Jersey final if that's what it turns out to be.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I'd rather see the Caps win than L.A. or NJ. They've mostly been cursed over the years in the playoffs (thanks mainly to the Penguins :boink:) and it would be cool to see Ovechkin raise the Cup. But first they have to get by the Rangers.

I have been watching the Rangers - Caps series and it has been a battle. Despite low scoring it has been a very entertaining series. Great goal tending on both sides. (I am pulling for the Caps.) In the West, I am pulling for the Kings. About 10 years ago I was employed in the bar/restaurant business and Willie Mitchell (Def - LA kings) was a frequent patron. He gave me a $100 tip almost every night he was there. Contrast to Daunte Culpepper, who came in one night in a silver jacket with $ symbols all over it, and gave me the "deer in the headlights" look when I had the audacity to charge him for his vodka cranberry.

Matra2

Master
It's true the Caps-Rangers series being a war. They are about to go to overtime after a Rangers power play goal (Ward was the offender) with just 6 seconds to go. They played almost 3 entire overtime periods in a single game last week.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It's true the Caps-Rangers series being a war. They are about to go to overtime after a Rangers power play goal (Ward was the offender) with just 6 seconds to go. They played almost 3 entire overtime periods in a single game last week.

Geez, I left to check out a few things on the internet and the Rangers had already won in overtime. A heartbreaking loss for the Capitals, looked like they were going to win until Ward's idiotic penalty late in regulation.

Matra2

Master
For anyone still up the Nashville @ Phoenix game is only half over. Very entertaining thus far.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Phoenix eliminates Nashville and will play the Kings for the conference final. It was kind of comical to watch the Coyotes home crowd with their "white out" shirts on even though the home team wore red and the opponents wore white lol. But it's basically two fledgling NHL cities and good to see both of them doing well.

Whether it's Phoenix or Los Angeles out of the West it'll be a surprise; likely the same from the East unless the Rangers prevail. The NHL playoffs are like none other with so many underdogs winning during the ultra-grueling two-month test that the ultimate Cup winner produces. As Deadlift noted in the NBA playoff thread, it's quite a contrast as the NBA rarely produces upsets in its playoffs.

Last edited:

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
After knocking off the Penguins, the Flyers go out in 5 games to the Devils. Pretty shocking.

Nice to see 40 year old Marty Brodeur still playing at a high level.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
After knocking off the Penguins, the Flyers go out in 5 games to the Devils. Pretty shocking.

Nice to see 40 year old Marty Brodeur still playing at a high level.

I'm shocked in the same way about Nashville beating Detroit. It seemed like they were built for a long playoff run.

I still don't like hockey success in places like Phoenix, LA, San Jose, or Florida. They don't deserve it. The few fans they have are mostly northern transplants. Meanwhile hockey mad Canada gets almost nothing.

Matra2

Master
Their goalie will probably get much of the blame - and he deserves some - but to me the Flyers lacked intensity right from the start. They looked like a totally different team from the one that beat Pittsburgh. Maybe they don't hate the Devils the way they hate Pittsburgh. Maybe the Pittsburgh series took a lot out of them. Having almost a week off between series probably hurt their intensity level too. Even last night with their season on the line there was no urgency or passion. Brodeur, who has looked more beatable of late than at any time in his career, was rarely troubled by the Flyer offence. Players like Hartnell, Jagr and Giroux who were stand-outs against Pittsburgh were anonymous throughout the Devils' series.

It will be interesting to see if the Devils can keep this going. They didn't look that good against Florida in the first round.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I think a lot of it has to do with the Devils playing disciplined, tight defense, something neither the Penguins or Flyers wanted or were able to do themselves. When they're on New Jersey sucks the lifeblood out of talented offensive teams. At least that's my take on it from watching just a couple of games of the series. The Flyers certainly did lack intensity last night, much like Pittsburgh in Game 6 against Philly. It's like the outcome was a foregone conclusion by both teams.

Bryzgalov wasn't quite as bad as Fleury, but he was lousy. Both let in lots of soft goals at the most inopportune times.

Another awesome game between the Caps and Rangers. Going down to the last second again. On to Game 7. Go CAPS!!!! :clap2:

Matra2

Master
Every single Rangers game seems to have a very low score. That's not necessarily a bad thing and Lundquist has been great in net but I'm finding their games less interesting. I think LA-Phoenix will also be low scoring. If it is an LA-New York Rangers final Bettman will be delirious with joy. If it's New Jersey-Phoenix - not so much!

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
[h=1]Second round produces record ratings[/h]The NBC Sports Group's coverage of the first two rounds of the Stanley Cup Playoffs have averaged 1.06 million viewers, making the Conference Quarterfinals and Conference Semifinals the most-watched first two rounds on record (since 1994, when cable program data started).

On NBC, NBC Sports Network and CNBC, this year's Conference Semifinals averaged 1.32 million viewers, making them the most-watched Conference Semifinals on record. More than 39 million total viewers have watched this postseason on NBC, NBC Sports Network and CNBC, up 23 percent from last year.
According to Fast National data released by The Nielsen Company, this year's Conference Semifinals:
-- Averaged 1.29 million viewers on the NBC Sports Network, up 43 percent from last year and the best on record for a single cable network.
-- Averaged 1.32 million viewers across NBC, the NBC Sports Network and CNBC, up 28 percent from last year and the best on record.
Saturday night's Game 7 between the New York Rangers and Washington Capitals was watched by 1.68 million viewers on the NBC Sports Network, making it the second most-watched Conference Semifinal game on cable this year. Game 3 of the series -- which was won by the Rangers in triple overtime -- was watched by 1.85 million viewers, making it the most-watched Conference Semifinal game of 2012. The NBC Sports Network was the No. 1 network overall in both markets during the game.
In New York, Saturday's Game 7 received a 4.8 HH rating, the highest local rating ever in the market for a NHL game on the NBC Sports Network. The telecast was up 129 percent from 2008's two-game average. In Washington, the game received a 7.67 HH rating, the second-highest local rating ever in the market for a NHL game on the NBC Sports Network. The telecast was up 19 percent from the market's 2011 Semifinal average.
Sunday night's Western Conference Final Game 1 between the Los Angeles Kings and Phoenix Coyotes delivered record ratings for both local markets. The NBC Sports Network was the highest-rated cable network in both local markets during the telecast of the game.
In Los Angeles, Game 1 received a 2.14 HH rating, the highest local rating ever in the market for a NHL game on the NBC Sports Network. In Phoenix, it received a 5.56 HH rating, the highest local rating ever in the market for a NHL game on the NBC Sports Network.