2010 Auburn Tigers

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Here's a breaking news story that sCam Newton is eligible to play, in spite of the allegations. Although the entire situation was seedy, and I believe just the tip of the iceberg, I don't mind that he play. If he were suspended and Auburn flopped, his "legend" would grow even more, a virtual martyr. I hope he plays, sucks, and Auburn goes down.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Does this mean Newton is going to star in the "New Beverly Hillbillies". He can play Jethro Bodine and his father can be an evil version of Jed Clampett.....
smiley2.gif
smiley11.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Me too, Leonardfan. I'll be rooting for South Carolina to help expose the sCam on the field.

Highlander

Mentor
FootballDad said:
Here's a breaking news story that sCam Newton is eligible to play, in spite of the allegations. Although the entire situation was seedy, and I believe just the tip of the iceberg, I don't mind that he play. If he were suspended and Auburn flopped, his "legend" would grow even more, a virtual martyr. I hope he plays, sucks, and Auburn goes down.
The NCAA said that Cam's father was the only guilty party and that Cam knew nothing about it. Yeah, right. The NCAA is just another of an endless array of utterly corrupted institutions is this country now. But, I do agree with what you said about him playing because of the reason you stated...I just hope they lose.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I don't believe for a minute that sCam didn't know what was going on. If his father actually told someone that his son liked Dan Mullen, but not that much, he must have talked to his son about his plans. At least mentioned it indirectly. The whole thing makes me sick, and the good (sic) "Bishop" (sic) has a nice up-to-code building all of a sudden.
smiley11.gif

white is right

Hall of Famer
Does 200K build a golden calf statue or does it buy a golden "Black Jesus" statue and does the Jesus have flowing hair like Reverend Al.....
smiley2.gif
Well at least this writer isn't buying what the NCAA is selling.....NCAA spins fairy-tale fodder

* Email
* Print
* Comments2214

Wojciechowski By Gene Wojciechowski
ESPN.com
Archive
Newton Eligible To Play
Auburn QB Cam Newton is eligible to play in SEC title gameTags: College Football, Auburn Tigers, SportsCenter, Cam Newton, Joe Schad, SEC Title Game
Newton Eligible To Play
VIDEO PLAYLIST video

* Newton Eligible To Play
Newton Eligible To Play
Auburn QB Cam Newton is eligible to play in SEC title gameTags: College Football, Auburn Tigers, SportsCenter, Cam Newton, Joe Schad, SEC Title Game
* SEC Championship Game Preview
SEC Championship Game Preview
SEC Blogger Chris Low previews the Auburn and South Carolina game for the SEC ChampionshipTags: College Football, Auburn Tigers, South Carolina Gamecocks, Chris Low, First Take
* Weekend With Beano Cook
Weekend With Beano Cook
Beano Cook talks about Kyle Brotzman, Notre Dame, Florida State and previews this weekend's top gamesTags: College Football, Boise State Broncos, Notre Dame Fighting Irish, Florida State Seminoles, Auburn Tigers, Oregon Ducks, Oklahoma Sooners, Nebraska Cornhuskers, SportsCenter, Beano Cook, Kyle Brotzman, Jimbo Fisher
* TCU's BCS Championship Chances
TCU's BCS Championship Chances
ESPN College Football Analyst Kirk Herbstreit talks about TCU's chances at playing in the BCS Championship game.Tags: TCU Horned Frogs, Oregon Ducks, Auburn Tigers, Kirk Herbstreit

Huh? Did the NCAA do what I think it did? Did it basically rule that a father and a third party can actively, brazenly and with impunity shop a player around for hundreds of thousands of dollars -- and the worst thing that happens is the father has to lie low and the third party has to disassociate himself from the programs in question?

Did it just get embarrassed by a rules loophole the size of Jordan-Hare Stadium, the gist of it being: Your old man and another guy can put you on the open market, but as long as you don't know about it, you're good to strap it up for the next big game?

The answers: yes and yes.

[+] EnlargeCam Newton
Jim Rinaldi/Icon SMICam Newton is clear to hit the field for Auburn on Saturday.

"In determining how a violation impacts a student-athlete's eligibility, we must consider the young person's responsibility," said Kevin Lennon, NCAA vice president for academic and membership affairs, in announcing the ruling Wednesday that Auburn quarterback Cameron Newton is eligible. "Based on the information available to the reinstatement staff at this time, we do not have sufficient evidence that Cam Newton or anyone from Auburn was aware of this activity, which led to his reinstatement."

Amazing. The NCAA just made it possible for anyone with a blue-chip prospect to shop that player without fear of real punishment. Football player "¦ hoops player -- doesn't matter. All you have to do is say the kid didn't have a clue about the sales price and it's like nothing happened. Plausible deniability.

The Rev. Cecil Newton should thank the heavens that the NCAA carries guns loaded with blanks. Newton's penalty for peddling his son: His access to Auburn athletics is "limited." That's it -- "limited," whatever that means.

This isn't a slap on the wrist; it's a wet kiss on the ring finger. Someone who tried to sell his own son as if he were a football commodity essentially beat the rap.

You think the reverend cares whether he has limited access? Please. In all likelihood, his son has two games left in his Auburn career. And then Cam is off to the NFL, where the auction is sanctioned and done publicly. Amen, to that.

As expected, everyone involved issued the appropriate statements. The NCAA made its molar-less ruling. Auburn said it was pleased with that ruling. And SEC commissioner Mike Slive said, "The conduct of Cam Newton's father and the involved individual is unacceptable and has no place in the SEC or in intercollegiate athletics."

Duh. Of course it's unacceptable. But nothing the NCAA or the SEC did Wednesday is going to make this go away in the future. If anything, Cecil Newton provided a detailed road map for those parents or others looking to make a buck (or nearly $200,000) off their sons. Now everyone with their hands out knows the NCAA is powerless to do anything -- just as long as the kid has that plausible deniability.

And maybe it's just me, but the NCAA's phrase, "Based on the information available to the reinstatement staff at this time" caught my attention. Does that mean investigators are still digging? Or does it mean they've run out of shovels?

And if they are still digging, what happens if they find something after the Heisman vote? Or after the national championship game? Then what?

So Cam Newton is eligible -- for Saturday night's game against South Carolina, for the Heisman and for the BCS National Championship Game, should No. 1-ranked Auburn win the SEC title. But something still doesn't feel right.

The NCAA, for all its countless, mind-boggling rules, is apparently useless when it comes to a father trying to sell his son. Think about that for a minute. It's like a bad fairy tale:

Once upon a time, in the land of the SEC, the quarterback's scheming father and the evil scouting service owner decided they were going to auction off the quarterback to the highest bidder. Best of all, the quarterback would never, ever know.

Then one day, they were ratted out.

The handsome quarterback was ruled ineligible but then instantly reinstated by the NCAA, played for the SEC championship and remained the favorite to win the Heisman Trophy, and everyone lived happily ever after.

Meanwhile, Cecil Newton is laughing all the way to his big, bad limited access. He got his happy ending. And, as it turns out, so did his son.

But here's the thing: This isn't the end; it's the beginning. Of loophole chaos.

Gene Wojciechowski is the senior national columnist for ESPN.com. You can contact him at gene.wojciechowski@espn.com. Hear Gene's podcasts and ESPN Radio appearances by clicking here.

MORE COMMENTARY »

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
If I were the USC A.D., I would schedule an immediate appeal of their "sentence" and have Reggie Bush say that he "didn't know anything", it was just his folks. Here's the precedent, with sCam Newton.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I agree with ACC Commissioner John Swofford. The decision to rule sCam Newton eligible sets a horrible precedent and creates a slippery slope.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- ACC Commissioner John Swofford calls the NCAA's decision to keep Auburn quarterback Cam Newton eligible "surprising" and claims it puts college athletics on a "slippery slope."

Swofford said Friday he'll express his concerns with NCAA officials and hopes the governing body takes a hard look at the issue.

The
NCAA ruled Wednesday that Newton was unaware his father had concocted a
pay-for-play scheme during his recruiting and allowed Newton to play
for Auburn (No. 2 BCS, No. 1 AP) against South Carolina on Saturday in
the Southeastern Conference championship game.

Swofford is
concerned about the precedent that could set in future eligibility cases
and expects the NCAA to take up the issue soon.
<div><div style="overflow: ; color: rgb0, 0, 0; : transparent; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; border: medium none;">

ACC
commissioner John Swofford said he plans to talk with NCAA officials
about how the recent decision regarding the eligibility of Auburn
quarterback Cam Newton was handled by the organization.

Newton was suspended for one day this week before being cleared
to play in the SEC championship game against South Carolina today after
his father, Cecil, was found to have solicited money from Mississippi
State during his son's recruitment.

"I do have some concerns and I will express those through the
appropriate channels with the NCAA. The decision that was made
potentially puts us on a very slippery slope that concerns me," Swofford
said.

"I was surprised by the decision and I think we need to take a
really hard look at the slippery slope that a continuation of that would
put us on."

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/12/04/1885711/even-in-acc-issues-with-newton.html#ixzz179YpFfFg</span></div></div>

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Essentially, Newton was exposed against Alabama, and got a taste of what he will face in the NFL.

I've always noticed, from the beginning of the season, that he's not good at running sideline-to-sideline in the pocket. I think a comparison to JaMarcus is an apt one... in that JaMarcus could not escape from the pass-rush in the NFL. There really is a "statue-element" to Newton... The MSM won't speak of it, though.

Don't understimate the pocket-agility of Doug Flutie, Steve Young, John Elway, Matt Ryan, Flacco, Brees, Big Ben, etc.. And, in college, look at how Aaron Murray has escaped pressure on numerous occasions.. some "magical" moments already for the RS Frosh. Quite a few of these Whites weren't particularly tall, but they had quick-feet which is an important trait to have in today's game.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Great point, Deadlift. I think we'll see teams learn how to stop sCam and he won't be as big the next two seasons. On the other hand, I believe that Aaron Murray will generate a lot of buzz over the next two seasons. The kid is very talented and does have very quick feet. They will be talking about him for years to come in Georgia.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
If Cam Newton was in the Big 10, I'm super-confident that he would have significantly less rushing-yards.

People might try to bring up "Denard" (and his rushing numbers in the Big 10) -- but Newton is not as quick and Michigan is 6-5 anyways...

Then there's Terrelle Pryor who is obviously fearful of getting hit/injured. The media's claim that RichRod, Zook and Tressel have "the formula" is premature.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I don't know what this means, but maybe there will be a wrinkle to this "fairytale".....Auburn's Cam Newton left off list

* Email
* Print
* Comments521

Associated Press

DALLAS -- Cam Newton was not selected to the Football Writers Association of America's All-America team, which was released Saturday.

The Auburn quarterback and overwhelming favorite to win the Heisman Trophy later Saturday was left off in favor of Boise State quarterback Kellen Moore by a panel of 12 FWAA members.

The NCAA ruled that Newton's father tried to engineer a play-for-pay scheme that would have sent his son to Mississippi State. The NCAA also said there was no evidence Newton or Auburn knew about his father's dealings, so the star junior was not punished.

Newton led the Southeastern Conference in rushing with 1,409 yards, scored 21 touchdowns and was the nation's top-rated passer with 2,589 yards passing and 28 TD throws.

The Associated Press All-America team will be released on Tuesday.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated PressEdited by: white is right

white is right

Hall of Famer
Did anybody notice Auburn's last Heisman winner. I know Bo knew steroids, but does Bo know type II diabetes too. He looks like he could have been a float for the annual Maceys Parade.....
smiley2.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
sCam Newton gets his own "day" from the governor of Rammer Jammer. I hope he loses Monday night!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls10/news/story?id=5999253

MONTGOMERY, Ala. -- Auburn's Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Cam Newton has been honored by Alabama Gov. Bob Riley.

Riley declared that Saturday will be
"Cameron Newton Day" in Alabama. Riley said the designation is in
recognition of the Atlanta native's play on the field leading the Tigers
to an undefeated record and a spot in Monday's national title game in
Glendale, Ariz., against Oregon.

Riley said the special day also will honor Newton's work off the field mentoring children.

Riley gave a similar honor last year to Alabama running back and 2009 Heisman winner Mark Ingram before the Crimson Tide defeated Texas in the national championship game.

Riley
boasted he could become the first governor who can brag about
back-to-back national champions and Heisman winners from the same state.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I'm glad he's going to the NFL, where he will be exposed for the sCam that he is. It may take a while, but people will realize he won't be a great NFL QB.

I'm surprised the story quoted sCam talking about how it was a tough decision for him (and his family). For some reason, (wink wink, nod nod) I was under the impression that his family didn't talk much about sCam's future in sports.
smiley3.gif
Oh I forgot, there was just that one particular circumstance when he and his father didn't talk about sCam's football career.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
It was no surprise to anybody that sCam declared for the draft. I wonder if he even went to class at Auburn. He looks like a John Wall-type "one-and-done" player that enrolls, goes to a class or two to establish student credentials, and then that's it. Just speculation, but I doubt he would have been academically eligible next year. I AM looking forward to his Wonderlic score, maybe he can "beat" the dazzling score of fellow black quarterback Vince Young.
smiley36.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Another black Junior is gone, this time a WR.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=6030598

AUBURN, Ala. -- Auburn receiver Darvin Adams is skipping his senior season to enter the NFL draft.

The school announced the latest departure Monday, following similar decisions by quarterback Cam Newton and defensive tackle Nick Fairley. The deadline for entry was Saturday.

Adams
led the BCS national champions in receiving the past two seasons,
catching 52 passes for 963 yards and seven touchdowns as a junior.

He set a Southeastern Conference championship game record with 217 yards receiving.

Adams
ranks in the top 10 in several Auburn career receiving categories,
including a tie for third with 17 touchdowns. He is also sixth in yards
(1,978) and catches (115).

Adams' 60 catches as a sophomore was a school single-season record.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
sCam will get his @$$ handed to him in the NFL. He won't be able with the (faster) speed, nor read & adjust to more complex defenses. He'll perform somewhere between "Duhmarcus" Russell & Vince YOung.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
The NCAA is still investigating Auburn, but most of the concern has shifted to the recruiting of two afroletes from South Louisiana.
<a href="http://%20blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-blog/2011/02/16/ncaa-investigating-auburn-again-not-cam-newton-this-time/?cxntfid=blogs_jeff_schultz_blog" target="_blank">
http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-blog/2011/02/16/ncaa-investigating-auburn-again-not-cam-newton-this-time/?cxntfid=blogs_jeff_schultz_blog</a>

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Auburn gives black RB the boot after getting arrested for third degree domestic violence.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6169694

AUBURN, Ala. -- Auburn running back Eric Smith has been dismissed from the team for violating team rules.

Athletics spokesman Kirk Sampson did not elaborate on the reason Monday.

The
5-foot-10, 240-pound junior was primarily used as a blocking back and
special teamer for the defending national champions, but also caught
five passes for 49 yards.

Smith had missed the first and final
games of the 2009 season. He missed the opener after being charged with
third-degree assault for an off-campus fight. He was granted youthful
offender status.

He also was academically ineligible for the Outback Bowl against Northwestern.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
More trouble for the mythical champs. The biggest surprise is that one of them is White.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/four-auburn-football-players-869122.html

Four Auburn football players, including two from the Atlanta area,
have been arrested and charged with five counts of first degree robbery.
<div id="cxLeftRail" ="left">
<div>
<div ="cxElementGraphic">
kitchens_862712l.jpg

</div>
Auburn Police Department</span>

Shaun Kitchens, 19.
</span>
<br ="clear">

</div>
<div>
goodwin_862601l.jpg

</div>

Antonio Goodwin, 20.
</span>
<br ="clear">

</div>
<div>
mosley_862598l.jpg

</div>

Harrison Mosley, 19.
</span>
<br ="clear">

</div>
<div>
mcneil_862599l.jpg

</div>

Michael McNeil, 22.
</span>
<br ="clear">

</div></div>

Coach Gene Chizik has "permanently dismissed" the players from the team.

Antonio Goodwin, 20, Shaun Kitchens, 19, Michael McNeil, 22, and
Harrison Mosley, 19, also have been charged with burglary and property
theft after breaking into a home just after midnight Friday, according
to news release from the Auburn Police Department.

Wide receiver Antonio Goodwin is from Atlanta. The Under Armour
All-American went to Booker T. Washington and was named to the AJC's Fab
50 list in 2010.

Goodwin also was one of the AJC's honorable mentions for the 2009
all-state team in Class AAA. He was No. 9 in the state's top 40
recruits in 2009.

Receiver Shaun Kitchens went to Banneker High School in College Park. He was No. 31 in the state's top 40 recruits in 2009.

At Auburn, the two were reserve receivers who played mostly on special teams as freshmen.

"The players arrested in connection with this deeply troubling
incident have been permanently dismissed from our football team. While
we realize the legal process will run its course and these young men
have a right for their case to be heard, playing for Auburn University
is an honor and a privilege. It is not a right," Chizik said in a
statement.

"I am extremely disappointed and embarrassed by the actions of these
individuals. I want to personally apologize to all of those who were
impacted by this senseless act, including the victims, Auburn University
and the Auburn family."

The four players are accused of breaking into a home on Wire Road.
According to police, the five victims who were home at the time said
three men â€" one carrying a handgun â€" broke into the house and stole
personal property. Police did not detail what was taken.

The men then got into a car with a driver waiting nearby and drove off.

Police stopped the car and arrested the men. Authorities recovered a pistol and the stolen property.

Goodwin, Kitchens, McNeil, and Mosley were transported to the Lee
County Detention Center where each is currently being held on a $511,000
bond.

"This type of behavior will not be tolerated at Auburn. I fully
support Coach Chizik's swift and decisive action to dismiss these four
student-athletes from our football team effective immediately," Auburn
Athletic Director Jay Jacobs said in a statement.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Actually, Mosley is wearing "bling" in some of his Rivals pics (the older pics from my recollection).

So, I guess he is now a proven wigger.. too bad.

Highlander

Mentor
Mosley, rollin' G-style...

5476831388_577f15a235_z.jpg

Embarrassing that Whites get caught up in such ridiculousness, especially White sports players, as if they don't already have enough barriers to get through to even have an equal opportunity without creating their own barriers.

Edited by: Highlander