2010 Auburn Tigers

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Here are the "privileged" few white starters for the Auburn Tigers last year. Auburn started 5 whites in 2006, 4 in 2007, 6 in 2008, and 5 last year. Auburn looks to have 3-4 whites starting this year. This is sad stuff. Anyway, on defense, look for DE Joel Bonomolo to see some time this year. True freshmen LBs Jake Holland, Jessel Curry, and DE Craig Sanders may work their way into the rotation come fall camp. More inexcusable coal-blackness from the SEC.

Offense
TE- Phillip Lutzenkirchen
LT- Lee Ziemba
C- Ryan Pugh

Defense
DT- Zach Clayton - in a fight for the position.Edited by: Jack Lambert

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
I'm not exactly sure why (afflete injury or inefficiency), but Bart Eddins became a starting RG in early October last season. They have so many pathetically-obese sumo guards, so, even though Eddins is a Senior this year, I suspect that he will be screwed.

Eddins' was "another" White stud D-lineman that was "turned into an OL" by the SEC:

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=1687268

http://auburntigers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/eddins_bart00.html

And it looks like my suspicion of how Brandon Mosley (JC transfer) would be "slotted" is being confirmed:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/players/playerpage/1749916/brandon-mosley

I just checked out an April article, and it says he was battling for the Right Tackle spot with an afflete. They'll probably give it to the afflete.

TwentyTwo

Master
CB/S Drew Cole (jr.) 5'-11" 192 is listed 2nd on the depth chart at BOTH pos. according to different publications...amongst the seas of affletes will he get a chance?? Of course he fall's in line with many other white SEC DB's that are their "appointed special teams leader" as their "Rudy"; most are "walk-on's" like LSU's Daniel Graff(4.35 teams 3rd fastest); Georgia's Chad Gloer and Florida's Holliday(WR)..

Bad news...LB's Spencer Phybus & Adam Herring were released due to medical hardships; each got some good playing time in their young careers; hated to see this happen.

*Good news...the incoming Class has freshman LB's Jake Holland &Jessel Curry who enrolled early in Jan...Labeled "Sleeper" of the Class is expected tohave immediate impact! Early in his HS Career Curry was as much a safety; as linebacker; but he has added weight to become a true LBer that has brought his athleticism as a safety with him to the position. Curry's nose for the ball and sideline-to-sideline mentality could make him a very productive defender in the SEC! He should start by his soph. season IMO...

Another incoming freshman that will be interesting to watch is DE-Craig Sanders

Sr. DT-Zach Clayton is still listed 2nd team..was hoping he could crack the starting line-up by now..

Auburn does like it's white TE's it seems alot more lately...Edited by: TwentyTwo

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/13978411/auburn-tackle-greene-likely-out-for-season

Auburn tackle Greene likely out for season

CBSSports.com wire reports

Sep. 19, 2010

AUBURN, Ala. -- Auburn right tackle A.J. Greene is likely out for the season with a left ankle injury.

Coach Gene Chizik says "that's the way it looks at this point." He didn't elaborate on the extent of the injury on Sunday. Greene was hurt on Auburn's initial drive of the fourth quarter in Saturday night's 27-24 overtime win over Clemson, and was carted off the field.

Greene appeared in only two games the last three seasons but won the starting job in fall camp.

Sophomore John Sullen took his place against Clemson. Another potential candidate for the job is junior college transfer Brandon Mosley, who filled in at left tackle when Lee Ziemba was hurt in the Mississippi State game.

http://auburntigers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/greene_aj00.html

John Sullen is also black. Brandon Mosley is White.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Cameron Newton might have been involved in some illegal activity during his recruiting to Auburn last year. Former Mississippi State QB John Bond (of The Wind Game fame) turned in info to State and they turned it in to the SEC. Seems as though Newton (or at least people representing him) wanted $200,000 for him to play at Auburn.
smiley3.gif

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5765214

I hope this becomes a major distraction for Newton and the Auburn team for the remainder of this season. Hopefully the investigation won't take forever.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Col Reb, hopefully he'll not get a little (pro-caste) "slap on the wrist".
smiley24.gif

white is right

Hall of Famer
Guys this one is the big one. It is Reggie Bust II. But the difference it's live and Bust hasn't flown the coop so to speak. I wouldn't be surprised if severe penalties, including an SMU death penalty type situation isn't around the corner....
smiley3.gif

white is right

Hall of Famer
This is from ESPN....Two sources who recruit for Mississippi State said that Cecil Newton and his son, quarterback Cam Newton, said in separate phone conversations that his college choice would be part of a pay-for-play plan while Newton was being recruited late last year.

Mississippi State compliance officials relayed the alleged conversations to Southeastern Conference compliance officials in January, according to two other sources close to the football program.

Prior to Newton's commitment to Auburn, one of the recruiters said Cecil Newton told him it would take "more than a scholarship" to bring his son to Mississippi State, a request the source said the school would not meet. Cecil Newton also referred the recruiter to a third person that would provide more specifics, the source said.

Mike & Mike in the Morning

ESPN college football analyst Kirk Herbstreit gives his take on the Cam Newton situation at Auburn. Herbstreit says he's voting for Newton for the Heisman unless there are hard facts proving the allegations.

After Newton committed to Auburn, another source said an emotional Cam Newton phoned another recruiter to express regret that he wouldn't be going to Mississippi State, stating that his father Cecil had chosen Auburn for him because "the money was too much."

The NCAA is investigating allegations surrounding the Newtons in regards to the recruiting process. Cam Newton, who is having a Heisman-caliber season for No. 2 Auburn, declined comment.

Cecil Newton, who previously has denied any wrongdoing, did not respond to an e-mail request for comment Tuesday night.

However, when reached late Tuesday night by phone by FoxSports.com, Cecil Newton said he had no comment.

"I'm not going to confirm nor deny nothing that has been taking place," Cecil Newton said.

He also said he knew nothing about the report when asked if he'd seen it.

SEC blog

Low ESPN.com's Chris Low writes about all things SEC in his conference blog.

"¢ Blog network:
College Football Nation

"I've answered what I need to answer," Cecil Newton told FoxSports.com. "If they're out there, go with it and make the decision or determination based on whatever you've got to say."

Cecil Newton also described all of the allegations about his son as "a witch hunt," according to FoxSports.com.

"They can continue doing whatever they're doing, sir," Cecil Newton told the website. "I'm just in support of my son."

Auburn did not respond to a request for comment. The school has repeatedly said it looked into Newton's recruitment and that he remains eligible.

Wednesday, Auburn coach Gene Chizik said: "I want to get off the table up front the fact that Cameron Newton will be playing Saturday against the Georgia Bulldogs. I want to get that off the table. If there is anybody that has any questions that relate to this game Saturday, I'd love to entertain those questions only. Thank you."

When asked further about it, Chizik reiterated he was solely focused on Georgia.

Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen said that he and his assistants are the only people on the Bulldogs staff registered with the NCAA as recruiters, but he sidestepped other questions Wednesday about the latest allegation against Newton.

On Tuesday, Auburn found itself defending Newton in the wake of allegations of academic cheating when he was at Florida. The Tigers' coach, Gene Chizik, dismissed a FoxSports.com report as "pure garbage" in an emotional 4-minute, 25-second rant.

"I'm standing up here on a very important week trying to defend something that's garbage," Chizik said. Auburn faces Georgia on Saturday.

Meanwhile, Georgia coach Mark Richt said Newton's situation could become a distraction for his own team if the Bulldogs started worrying about whether Newton will, or won't, play.

"We really haven't tried to keep up with that at all," Richt said Wednesday. "I think it could be a distraction to us, so we're keeping our blinders on and studying the film and getting a plan and making sure that we're prepared for him being the quarterback. It could be a distraction for us also if we're an 'is he in, is he out' kind of thing. We're planning on him being in and we're preparing that way."

FoxSports.com reported Monday that Newton was caught cheating three times and was to appear for a hearing in front of Florida's Student Committee facing possible expulsion during the spring semester of 2009.

A person with knowledge of Newton's situation confirmed Newton left Florida after the fall 2008 semester rather than face suspension or expulsion, in part due to the allegations of academic wrongdoing, The New York Times reported on Wednesday.

Newton's father said he could not confirm or deny the report, citing a gag order from his attorney, The Times reported. "I don't know what's in his personal file, but if someone is bold enough to post something like that, there will be consequences," he said.

Newton transferred to Blinn Junior College in Brenham, Texas, where he played last season. He declined to discuss the latest report, which came on the heels of former Mississippi State quarterback John Bond telling ESPN.com that someone claiming to represent the Newton family sought money during his recruitment by the school.

Sources told ESPN.com the man who said he was representing the Newtons was Kenny Rogers, who played in the 1980s for Mississippi State alongside Bond.

"I'm not going to entertain something that took place not three months, not six months, not a year but two years ago," Cam Newton said. "I'm not going to sit up here and say anything about it, whether I did or did not do it, because I don't want to beat a dead horse talking about it. It's not going to affect me any way, shape or fashion."

On Wednesday, Cleveland Browns rookie cornerback Joe Haden, Newton's roommate at Auburn, said Newton isn't worried about the allegations being leveled against him.

Haden, who lived with Newton for 1½ years and considers his former roommate his best friend, said he spoke with Newton on the phone for an hour on Tuesday night.

Haden said Newton "is not letting this stuff get to him too much. He said, 'Joe, I got a plan and everything is going to work out for the best.' "

Haden believes Newton is only being targeted because he's playing so well this season.

In Gainesville, Florida coach Urban Meyer said in a statement that neither he nor anyone on his staff leaked information on Newton's academic record, calling it a "ridiculous claim."

"For anyone to think that I or anyone on our staff may have leaked information about private student records to the media doesn't know us very well," Meyer said. "It's a ridiculous claim and simply not true."

Cam Newton said Meyer was a man of integrity.

"I would hope he wouldn't say anything like that," he said.

Meanwhile, Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops, who also recruited Newton out of Blinn, said he saw "nothing at all" out of the ordinary during that process.

"Our recruitment of Cameron could not have been better, or was just fine," Stoops said. "I didn't notice anything and none of our coaches did as we were recruiting him."

Joe Schad is a national college football reporter for ESPN. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
The DWF's just say, "so what? He's worth it. He'll be in the NFL soon re-writing the record books, watch out Brett Favre, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, AND Walter Payton!"
smiley29.gif

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Im really pulling for UGA this weekend against Auburn. Hopefully a bad performance along with this stain on his reputation will propel Luck and Stanzi into the Heisman conversation.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Andrew Luck "should have never left" the Heisman conversation. That Stanford team is "real bad" with that 1 loss and all....

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I like the way the distraction is progressing, but I do hope some evidence comes forward before all the Heisman votes are in. Herbie K (ha so) would say something like that.Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Well, more news is starting to come out on this story. Looks like the good "Bishop" Daddy Newton wasn't a saint when it came to following NCAA rules. There are videos to watch at both pf these links.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5786315

Two sources who recruit for Mississippi State said that Cecil Newton and his son, quarterback Cam Newton,
said in separate phone conversations that his college choice would be
part of a pay-for-play plan while Newton was being recruited late last
year.

Mississippi State compliance officials relayed the alleged conversations
to Southeastern Conference compliance officials in January, according
to two other sources close to the football program.

Prior to Newton's commitment to Auburn,
one of the recruiters said Cecil Newton told him it would take "more
than a scholarship" to bring his son to Mississippi State, a request the
source said the school would not meet. Cecil Newton also referred the
recruiter to a third person who would provide more specifics, the source
said.<div ="mod-container mod-inline - mod-podcast right mod-no-er-footer">
<div ="mod-"><h4>Mike &amp; Mike in the Morning</h4><div ="podcast-p">
</div>

ESPN college football analyst Kirk Herbstreit gives his take on the
Cam Newton situation at Auburn. Herbstreit says he's voting for Newton
for the Heisman unless there are hard facts proving the allegations.
</div></div>

After Newton committed to Auburn, another source said an emotional Cam
Newton phoned another recruiter to express regret that he wouldn't be
going to Mississippi State, stating that his father, Cecil, had chosen
Auburn for him because "the money was too much."

The NCAA is investigating allegations surrounding the Newtons in regards
to the recruiting process. Cam Newton, who is having a Heisman-caliber
season for No. 2 Auburn, declined comment.

Cecil Newton, who previously has denied any wrongdoing, did not respond to an e-mail request for comment Tuesday night.

However, when reached late Tuesday night by phone by FoxSports.com, Cecil Newton said he had no comment.

"I'm not going to confirm nor deny nothing that has been taking place," Cecil Newton said.

He also said he knew nothing about the report when asked if he'd seen it.<div ="mod-container mod-no-footer mod-inline - right mod-no-er-footer">
<div ="mod-">
<h4>SEC blog</h4>

low_chris_m.jpg

ESPN.com's Chris Low writes about all things SEC in his conference blog.

"¢<a href="http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation" target="_blank">Blog network:
College Football Nation</a>

</div>
</div>

"I've answered what I need to answer,"
Cecil Newton told FoxSports.com. "If they're out there, go with it and
make the decision or determination based on whatever you've got to say."

Cecil Newton also described all of the allegations about his son as "a witch hunt," according to FoxSports.com.

"They can continue doing whatever they're doing, sir," Cecil Newton told the website. "I'm just in support of my son."

Auburn
did not respond to a request for comment. The school has repeatedly
said it looked into Newton's recruitment and that he remains eligible.

Wednesday,
Auburn coach Gene Chizik said: "I want to get off the table up front
the fact that Cameron Newton will be playing Saturday against the
Georgia Bulldogs. I want to get that off the table. If there is anybody
that has any questions that relate to this game Saturday, I'd love to
entertain those questions only. Thank you."

After practice, Chizik remained silent on the subject.

"I
know you guys have a job to do and I respect that, but my job right now
is Georgia this weekend," Chizik told reporters. "I'll entertain
questions that have to do with that, because that's where my focus is."

Mississippi
State coach Dan Mullen said that he and his assistants are the only
people on the Bulldogs' staff registered with the NCAA as recruiters,
but he sidestepped other questions Wednesday about the latest allegation
against Newton.

Late Wednesday afternoon, Mississippi State
issued a statement clarifying when it contacted the SEC and when it
turned over information. The school admitted that it called the SEC in
January "regarding an issue relating to its recruitment of Cam Newton."

It said that the SEC asked for specific information, which the school didn't provide until July, however.

"Due
to MSU dealing with ongoing and time-consuming eligibility issues
involving non-football matters in the winter and spring of 2010, the
specific SEC request went unfulfilled," the Mississippi State statement
said. "Some additional information was provided to the SEC during July
of 2010.

"Once the NCAA enforcement staff became involved,
Mississippi State University cooperated fully with its investigation.
MSU is confident the SEC office has managed this process consistent with
its established procedures and the university is committed to the
conference's ongoing efforts to ensure compliance with SEC and NCAA
rules."

On Tuesday, Auburn found itself defending Newton in the wake of
allegations of academic cheating when he was at Florida. The Tigers'
coach, Gene Chizik, dismissed a FoxSports.com report as "pure garbage"
in an emotional 4-minute, 25-second rant.

"I'm standing up here on a very important week trying to defend something that's garbage," Chizik said. Auburn faces Georgia on Saturday.

Meanwhile,
Georgia coach Mark Richt said Newton's situation could become a
distraction for his own team if the Bulldogs started worrying about
whether Newton will, or won't, play.

"We really haven't tried to
keep up with that at all," Richt said Wednesday. "I think it could be a
distraction to us, so we're keeping our blinders on and studying the
film and getting a plan and making sure that we're prepared for him
being the quarterback. It could be a distraction for us also if we're an
'is he in, is he out' kind of thing. We're planning on him being in and
we're preparing that way."

FoxSports.com reported Monday that Newton was caught cheating three
times and was to appear for a hearing in front of Florida's Student
Committee facing possible expulsion during the spring semester of 2009.

A
person with knowledge of Newton's situation confirmed Newton left
Florida after the fall 2008 semester rather than face suspension or
expulsion, in part due to the allegations of academic wrongdoing, The
New York Times reported on Wednesday.

Newton's father said he
could not confirm or deny the report, citing a gag order from his
attorney, The Times reported. "I don't know what's in his personal file,
but if someone is bold enough to post something like that, there will
be consequences," he said.

Newton transferred to Blinn Junior
College in Brenham, Texas, where he played last season. He declined to
discuss the latest report, which came on the heels of former Mississippi
State quarterback John Bond telling ESPN.com that someone claiming to
represent the Newton family sought money during his recruitment by the
school.

Sources told ESPN.com the man who said he was representing the Newtons
was Kenny Rogers, who played in the 1980s for Mississippi State
alongside Bond.

"I'm not going to entertain something that took place not three months,
not six months, not a year but two years ago," Cam Newton said. "I'm not
going to sit up here and say anything about it, whether I did or did
not do it, because I don't want to beat a dead horse talking about it.
It's not going to affect me any way, shape or fashion."

On Wednesday, Cleveland Browns rookie cornerback Joe Haden, Newton's roommate at Florida, said Newton isn't worried about the allegations being leveled against him.

Haden,
who lived with Newton for 1½ years and considers his former roommate
his best friend, said he spoke with Newton on the phone for an hour on
Tuesday night.

Haden said Newton "is not letting this stuff get
to him too much. He said, 'Joe, I got a plan and everything is going to
work out for the best.'"

Haden believes Newton is being targeted only because he's playing so well this season.

In Gainesville, Florida
coach Urban Meyer said in a statement that neither he nor anyone on his
staff leaked information on Newton's academic record, calling it a
"ridiculous claim."

"For anyone to think that I or anyone
on our staff may have leaked information about private student records
to the media doesn't know us very well," Meyer said. "It's a ridiculous
claim and simply not true."

Cam Newton said Meyer was a man of integrity.

"I would hope he wouldn't say anything like that," he said.

Meanwhile, Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops, who also recruited Newton out of Blinn, said he saw "nothing at all" out of the ordinary during that process.

"Our
recruitment of Cameron could not have been better, or was just fine,"
Stoops said. "I didn't notice anything and none of our coaches did as we
were recruiting him."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5792707

Kenny Rogers, the former Mississippi State player who ESPN.com reported allegedly sought money to sign Cam Newton to a national letter of intent with the Bulldogs, said Thursday that Newton's father, Cecil, put a price tag on his son.

Rogers,
in an interview with ESPN 103.3 in Dallas, was asked if Cecil Newton
ever told him how much money it would take to get his son to play for
Mississippi State. "Yes, he did," Rogers said.

Asked how much, Rogers said: "Anywhere between $100,000 and $180,000."

Later in the interview, Rogers said he and Cecil Newton first talked after Cam Newton left Florida Gators
following the 2008 season. In the course of their conversations, he
said Cecil Newton told him, "It's not gonna be free this time."

Rogers said he only was involved with Cecil Newton in regards to Mississippi State.<div ="mod-container mod-inline - mod-podcast right mod-no-er-footer">
<div ="mod-"><h4>Kenny Rogers: 11/11</h4><div ="podcast-p">
</div>

Kenny Rogers tells ESPN 103.3 FM's Ian Fitzsimmons that Cam Newton's
father asked for between $100,000 and $180,000 from Mississippi State to
have Newton play there.
More Podcasts »</div></div>

Rogers said on Nov. 28, 2009, he and Cecil Newton
followed each other out of Starkville, Miss., after the Ole
Miss-Mississippi State game. He said Newton asked him: "What do you
think is going to happen? You think it's going to go through?"

He said he was referred to a Mississippi State booster named Bill Bell.
Rogers said he left Bell a message telling him he was with Cecil Newton,
who wanted to know if the deal was going to happen.

Bell has not commented publicly on the allegation.

Rogers
said he didn't know if Cam Newton knew about the request for money. He
said he did not meet Cam Newton until Nov. 27, 2009.

Rogers said
he didn't know anything about Newton's recruitment at Auburn or any
other school. He said he had "no idea" why Newton chose Auburn or if
Auburn paid Newton.

Rogers spoke with his attorney on the phone.
The attorney, Doug Zeit, said there was never any discussion about
Rogers getting paid out of the money Cecil Newton was asking.

Mississippi State officials declined comment on Rogers' interview Thursday.

A
person who answered the telephone at Cecil Newton's home in Atlanta
said he wasn't there. The person said he didn't know where Cecil Newton
was.

Auburn declined comment through spokesman Kirk Sampson.

In an
e-mail to ESPN.com, an NCAA spokeswoman said: "The solicitation of cash
or benefits by a prospective student-athlete or another individual on
his or her behalf is not allowed under NCAA rules."

Rogers worked for Chicago-based agent Ian Greengross. The NFL Players
Association said last week said it had filed a disciplinary complaint
against Greengross for "violating numerous provisions of the NFLPA's
agent regulations while recruiting and representing players." It also
target the actions of Rogers.

In another e-mail, a spokesman said: "Generally speaking, if a third
party is marketing a student-athlete, there could be potential agent
violations. Under NCAA rules, it doesn't matter what you call yourself
or how you are compensated, the actions are what triggers agent
violation rules."

The NCAA spokeswoman said: "The decision to rule a student-athlete
ineligible is made by the university, not the NCAA. We do not suspend
student-athletes. It is a school action. The university can then seek
reinstatement on behalf of the student-athlete and reinstatement
decisions are made by the NCAA."

John Bond, the former Mississippi State quarterback and teammate of
Rogers who told ESPN.com last week that a man seeking money to sign Cam
Newton had approached him, told ESPN.com on Thursday: "My story hasn't
changed. I absolutely talked with Kenny Rogers, and there are phone
records that will show that."

Bond said he's scheduled to meet with the FBI on Tuesday and plans to
turn over his phone records and anything else they ask for at that
point. He said the FBI reached out to his attorney earlier this week
wanting to talk with him about the Newton situation, in particular if
kids were being shopped out to colleges. That meeting was originally
scheduled for Wednesday, but was postponed by the FBI until next
Tuesday.

"Until I speak with the FBI, I'd prefer not to say much more," Bond said.

Last Friday, in an interview with ESPN 103.3 FM in Dallas, Rogers denied having solicited Newton to Mississippi State.

Earlier
this week, ESPN reported two sources who recruit for Mississippi State
said Cecil and Cam Newton, in separate phone conversations, told them
that Cam Newton's college choice would be part of a pay-for-play plan.

Prior
to Newton's commitment to Auburn, one of the recruiters said Cecil
Newton told him it would take "more than a scholarship" to bring his son
to Mississippi State, a request the source said the school would not
meet. Cecil Newton also referred the recruiter to a third person who
would provide more specifics, the source said.

After Newton
committed to Auburn, another source said an emotional Cam Newton phoned
another recruiter to express regret that he wouldn't be going to
Mississippi State, stating that his father, Cecil, had chosen Auburn for
him because "the money was too much."

Mississippi State
compliance officials relayed the alleged conversations to Southeastern
Conference compliance officials in January, according to two other
sources close to the football program. The school said because it didn't
get the information requested to the SEC until July 2010 because of
"time-consuming eligibility issues involving non-football matters in the
winter and spring of 2010."

The NCAA is investigating allegations
surrounding the Newtons in regards to the recruiting process. Cam
Newton, who is having a Heisman-caliber season for No. 2 Auburn,
declined comment earlier this week.

A week ago, ESPN.com reported a
man who said he represented Newton allegedly was soliciting a
six-figure payment to secure his signature on a national letter of
intent. Bond told ESPN.com a teammate of Bond's at Mississippi State in
the early 1980s contacted him soon after Newton's official visit to
Mississippi State during the Ole Miss game in December, and said he was
representing Newton. That man was identified by other sources as Rogers,
who played at Mississippi State from 1982 to '85.

Bond said an NCAA investigator came to Mississippi to meet with him in
early September as well as with Mississippi State officials.

When interviewed by ESPN.com last Thursday at the family's home in Atlanta, Cecil Newton denied any wrongdoing.

Rogers
has a company called Elite Football Preparation, which holds camps in
Alabama, Chicago and Mississippi, and matches football prospects with
colleges.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Does anybody have clue who this Kenny Rogers is? I know it's not the entertainer. Could it be the baseball pitcher?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Kenny Rogers was an o-lineman at Mississippi State from 1982-1985. He was a teammate of John Bond, the former State QB who initially called MSU about the situation.

white is right

Hall of Famer
This whole scandal has 3 degrees of separation to it. We know about the two famous Kenny Rogers, but there is also a famous Cam Newton who played in the WHA in the 1970's. Even John Bond was a famous English footballer from the 50's who later became a coach. I see a bizarre indie movie where two DWF's plot an assassination to save the Hockey goalies college eligibility. Maybe Jack Black and Johnny Knoxville can be the stars....
smiley2.gif

Tom Iron

Mentor
Just another poor slob black guy who loused up before he even got started. Everything from here on out will be downhill for him. It's amazing the thousands of ways blacks find to mess themselves up. Never fails.

Tom Iron...

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
unFairley and sCam apparently got away with some things today, but how much longer will it last? Not too long, methinks.

<no> <o>
bP=11f27406-efa1-11df-b2ca-3f0e8cd6cd6e&ampT=19f5919as%2fX%3d1289706091%2fE%3d2022776002%2fR%3dncsprtcl%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d8.1%2fW%3d0%2fY%3dPARTNER_US%2fF%3d655156119%2fH%3dYWx0c3BpZD0iOTY3MjgzMzIzIiBzZXJ2ZUlkPSIxMWYyNzQwNi1lZmExLTExZGYtYjJjYS0zZjBlOGNkNmNkNmUiIHNpdGVJZD0iNzQ1NTUxIiB0U3RtcD0iMTI4OTcwNjA5MTQyNzQxNiIgdGFyZ2V0PSJfYmxhbmsiIA--%2fQ%3d-1%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3d26558862&ampU=13rc0br0a%2fN%3dPUfIEkwNiZ4-%2fC%3d601070933.601419258.495715051728394%2fD%3dN%2fB%3d2129079932581267034%2fV%3d2

<div class="blog-header blog-header-banner" style="background-image: url(&quot;http://img.coxnewsweb.com/C/07/13/03/image_8503137.jpg&quot;);">
UGA: The Junkyard Blawg
</div>

<h1>A great quarterback and a dirty defender prove too much for Dogs</h1>
8:47 pm</span> November 13, 2010, </span> by Bill King</span>

<div id="attachment_6941" ="wp-caption alignleft" style="width: 255px;">
nick-fairley-auburn-AP-245x300.jpg
Auburn's Nick Fairley with one of his hits on Aaron Murray that likely would have drawn a fine in the NFL. (Associated Press)</div>

I don't think there are many people who would have predicted that
after the first quarter of Saturday's Georgia-Auburn game that Mark Richt's 5-5 Bulldogs would be leading the No. 2 team in the country by two touchdowns.

While Auburn's sensational Cam Newton led his team
in a quick scoring drive to open the game, the Tigers generally played
tight in the first quarter and made mistakes that Georgia capitalized on
in answering with three scores.

Unfortunately, the Dogs, who had not been out in front of a good team
all season, didn't quite seem to know how to handle their early
success, losing some of their spark offensively in the second quarter as
the Auburn offense continued to pound away at a Georgia defense that
clearly could not stop Newton consistently.

Still, thanks to stellar play by quarterback Aaron Murray and receiver A.J. Green,
the Dogs managed to stay in the game for three quarters, even after
Auburn stunned them with an audacious on-side kick to open the second
half. But when the Dogs had to settle for a field goal in the
back-and-forth scoring, the odds against them pulling off the upset grew
long.

And while Georgia still could have gotten back into it when trailing
by 11 points, their fate was sealed on the fourth-quarter series where
on a third-and-four play Mike Bobo inexplicably again
had Murray standing back there looking for the long ball in the face of
an Auburn blitz instead of going with a quick slant, resulting in a
sack. On fourth-and-13, Murray was hit again as he threw and the ball
was incomplete. And that was pretty much that.

Except for the ugliness that characterized the final minutes, thanks
to the SEC officiating crew looking the other way throughout the game as
Auburn headhunter Nick Fairley continually hit Murray late and tried to hurt him with his now infamous body slams.

Georgia's players had good reason to be irate after Fairley took
Murray out of the game by driving his helmet into the quarterback's legs
long after he'd let go of the ball. There's a reason the NFL fines
dirty players for that sort of thing. Despite CBS' Gary Danielson
trying to make a case that Fairley was partially blocked into Murray,
the replays clearly showed that wasn't true. And it was only one of a
number of such plays by Fairley.

In the ensuing scuffles that saw the officials lose control of the
game, two Auburn players were ejected for throwing punches while their
classless coach, Gene Chizik, continued to try to ramp
up his players' emotions on the sideline and Fairley strutted around
like some sort of playground bully. He should have been the one kicked
out of the game.

So Georgia looks to the Georgia Tech game to become bowl-eligible
while Auburn still has Alabama and then the SEC championship game and
possibly the BCS championship game.

Chizik and company have rolled the dice by playing Newton despite the
questions about his eligibility and so far it has paid off. Maybe it
will continue to pay off for them; there's a good chance that in the
long run it won't. And if it doesn't, I can't say I'll feel much
sympathy for them.

I'll be back Sunday afternoon with more thoughts on the game. Until then, I'll leave you with two last words:

Roll Tide!http://blogs.ajc.com/junkyard-blawg...o-much-for-dogs/?cxntfid=blogs_junkyard_blawg

Broncos

Tom Iron said:
Just another poor slob black guy who loused up before he even got started. Everything from here on out will be downhill for him. It's amazing the thousands of ways blacks find to mess themselves up. Never fails.

Tom Iron...
<div>
</div><div>By downhill, you mean dominating college football, and ending up making millions and millions of dollars in the pros, right? If only we could have all "loused" our lives up like that!</div>

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Matt Ryan turned Roddy White into a star.

Which NFL wideout is Newton going to turn into a star? Millions of dollars doesn't equate to greatness... ask JaMarcus, Vince Young and Akili Smith!!

Tom Iron

Mentor
Broncos,

No Sir, I don't look at money all that much. I mean he's already done. The first things he's done in his adult life are wrong, so everything that comes afterwards will be wrong. Think of it this way. If you start any project by doing something wrong, and continue with that as your foundation, everything you do afterwards is going to be wrong. To comment on money, he'll most likely end up in the gutter, and or slammer, broke and never ever be able to figure out just how he messed up.

Tom Iron...

Broncos

Tom Iron said:
Broncos,

No Sir, I don't look at money all that much. I mean he's already done. The first things he's done in his adult life are wrong, so everything that comes afterwards will be wrong. Think of it this way. If you start any project by doing something wrong, and continue with that as your foundation, everything you do afterwards is going to be wrong. To comment on money, he'll most likely end up in the gutter, and or slammer, broke and never ever be able to figure out just how he messed up.

Tom Iron...
<div>
</div><div>
</div><div>Okay, lemme see.. is he accused of doing drugs? Selling drugs? Beating people up? Fondling women? Driving drunk? No, no, no, no, and no. All he did was try to take a couple shortcuts like all teenagers do from time to time by buying a hot laptop, a couple papers off of the internet, and letting his dad force him to go to Auburn when he wanted to go Mississippi State. And for that, according to you, he's irreparably screwed up for life. No offense, but that'sjust patently absurd. </div><div>
</div><div>Was Reggie Bush done after accepting pay for play? Has he been in a sniff of trouble since? </div><div>
</div><div>Dez Bryant only played 3 games last year.. 8 less than Cam already played. You guys were saying the same thing about him. Is he not one of the top rookies in the league? </div><div>
</div><div>You guys said the same thing about Terrelle Pryor when he cursed out those hecklers in high school. Was he done after that incident? Has he done anything since? Jason 'White Chocolate' Williams used to do the same thing in high school, college, and the pros. Was he done also?</div><div>
</div><div>What about Scott Skiles? I'm from Michigan. When he was up here, he was in and out of jail for coke, weed, and drunk driving all before entering the pros. Was he done? Was his "foundation"irretrievablybroken?</div><div>
</div><div>Was Randy Moss done after beating kids up high school, smoking weed, and going to jail all before college? Or is he a first ballot Hall-of-Famer?</div><div>
</div><div>Was Colt Brennan done after his teenage felony convictions?</div>

Tom Iron

Mentor
God morning Broncos,

Good points possibly, but I stand by what I said. He's done. It is interesting though you bring up randy moss. He's a classic case of what I'm talking about. He isn't anywhere near his bottom yet. If you ask me, moss will have to dig himself out of a deep hole to just be in the gutter by the time he's done.

Try looking a bit deeper at things, not at just surfaces.

Tom Iron..

white is right

Hall of Famer
Broncos said:
Tom Iron said:
Broncos,

Tom Iron...
<div></div><div></div><div>Okay, lemme see.. is he accused of doing drugs?  Selling drugs?  Beating people up?  Fondling women?  Driving drunk?  No, no, no, no, and no.  All he did was try to take a couple shortcuts like all teenagers do from time to time by buying a hot laptop, a couple papers off of the internet, and letting his dad force him to go to Auburn when he wanted to go Mississippi State.  And for that, according to you, he's irreparably screwed up for life.  No offense, but that's just patently absurd.  </div><div></div><div>Was Reggie Bush done after accepting pay for play?  Has he been in a sniff of trouble since?  </div><div></div><div>Dez Bryant only played 3 games last year.. 8 less than Cam already played.  You guys were saying the same thing about him.  Is he not one of the top rookies in the league?  </div><div></div><div>You guys said the same thing about Terrelle Pryor when he cursed out those hecklers in high school.  Was he done after that incident?  Has he done anything since?  Jason 'White Chocolate' Williams used to do the same thing in high school, college, and the pros.  Was he done also?</div><div></div><div>What about Scott Skiles?  I'm from Michigan.  When he was up here, he was in and out of jail for coke, weed, and drunk driving all before entering the pros.  Was he done?  Was his "foundation" irretrievably broken?</div><div></div><div>Was Randy Moss done after beating kids up high school, smoking weed, and going to jail all before college?  Or is he a first ballot Hall-of-Famer?</div><div></div><div>Was Colt Brennan done after his teenage felony convictions?</div>
From all of the stories of guys who have started out in a similar trajectory who has redeemed themselves? There is too much smoke around this guy for him to not be a potential major screw up when he truly earns money. The only guys I can ever think of that saved themselves were guys that went to jail ended up homeless and learned from their mistakes.