2009 Pre-Season

dwid

Hall of Famer
Shockey had a hernia last year that was misdiagnosed, and wasn't treated properly, according to him at least (he wasn't whining about it he just mentioned it in some small interview), so he was on the field in lots of pain last year, still played most of the season though, but when he ran his routes and got hit you could see that he was injured. This year he looks completely recovered, fast and physical. Glad he finally shut some Shockey haters up last night. Can't believe Saints fans were thinking Billy Miller was a better tight end haha.

Hope he keeps up this performance, one of the few players to root for on the Saints. Brees, Shockey, Heath Evans, Stinchcomb on offense, hopefully Strief gets a chance at LT with the often injured Brown (backup that proved he could play LT) and defensively Shanle and Fujita at LB and Jeff Charleston rotating in occasionally at DE (he looked good last night too). Hopefully the Saints will use SS Chris Reis in more defensive packages

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
I'm sorry to say this, but I think Shockey is one of the most overrated (by the DWFs and media members) white players in the past 10 years.

Year after year, he dissapoints us with drops, injuries, and generic stats. He randomly puts up a huge game every now and again. Since his debut in 2002, he's had 2 seasons with 890-something yards. Based on his pure athleticism, he should be putting up 1100+ yards every season. The withered old coot, Tom Coughlin, played a large role in Shockey not getting many touches in NY.

I really hope Shockey and Brees work well together this season....and hopefully Shockey and Witten are the top TEs in the NFC (the way it should have been for the past 3-4 years).

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I am watching the Lions and Falcons game and Brian Baldiger said that the Falcons wanted to get faster at linebacker so they got rid of Keith Brooking.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Aaron Rodgers and the Packers strike quick on their first drive. Rodgers looks sharp! Hawk, Chillar, Popppingaand Kampman are starting at lb. Ill keep you guys posted on how Jordy does, so far James Jones has been in on the 3 wide sets..Edited by: celticdb15

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Quinn just found Furrey on a crucial 3rd and 7, hopefully they can get some good chemistry because that will deffintely be a qb\wr connection for us to watch!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
watching the Bears-Bills game ...

for the Bears, Craig Steltz played most of the first half and has looked good in run support and zone coverage, and he forced a fumble in addition to some solid tackling. he's struggled a little bit in man coverage, though.

for the Bills, tight end Jonathan Stupar looks very good. the announcers have mentioned his speed several times and he looks like a guy with a LOT of talent, as he's shown both the ability to stretch the field and go up high and catch the ball away from his body.

as an aside, there have been so many dropped passes in this game (and every pre-season game i've watched thus far) that even thelady i'm watching it with commented on it!
smiley36.gif

but these are "the best affletes in da world," as we're all told time and time again.
smiley2.gif

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
can i brag on myself?
smiley2.gif
smiley4.gif

Steltz just made an interception while in zone coverage.
smiley32.gif

he made it look easy, as he was in perfect position along with the White linebacker who was playing underneath (i didn't see his name). Steltz had a nice return, as well.

edited to add: the linebacker was Kevin Malast, a rookie out of Rutgers.Edited by: Jimmy Chitwood

backrow

Hall of Famer
yeah, and he returned it for about 40 yards, too!
i guess he ain't giving his job up just yet.

Sabby Piscitelli had an interception for Bucs too.

EDIT: and Connor Barwin with his first NFL sackEdited by: backrow

dwid

Hall of Famer
There is no way Lovie Smith can put Bullocks as the starter over Steltz, but if he did maybe some of the dwfs would wake up and realize that Lovie isnt putting the most talented out there. Finally some might realize that Mike Hass got screwed over. Has Eric Peterman got any throws his way tonight? He should, Knox just showed how bad he was, bobbling the ball up to get it intercepted. There is no reason Peterman should be behind him on the depth chartEdited by: dwid

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
wow. another dropped pass by a wide receiver results in an interception and a 4-yard touchdown drive.

seriously. you can see why the Bears didn't keep Mike Hass and David Ball on the team with all this talent they have at wideout.
smiley5.gif

meanwhile, Eric Peterman hasn't even seen the field yet for them ...

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
ANOTHER dropped pass by a Bears receiver! damn, they suck.

and the very next play ... alligator arms by a Bears receiver! dear god...

backrow

Hall of Famer
Malast and Stelz lead Bears in tackles with 6 and 5.
Peterman sighting at 10 yard punt return!

chargers vs. seahawks is starting. hester is in at fullback to start the game. hopefully later in the game hel move to runningback. just as im typing this he made a good tackle on a punt returner!

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
End of the game, not one reception for Jordy.
smiley7.gif

On another note, nice to see Sabby and Steltz getting interceptions.
smiley32.gif
, and to see Pack starting a 3-4 snow patrol. Furrey has 36 receptions for 26 yards. No receptions for Peterman. Typical Lovie.

For Titans, Donnie Nickey has three 3 tackles and one assisted.

Update: Chargers-Seahawks. A tackle by LB Will Herring saved a touchdown by Hester.Edited by: Jack Lambert

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i didn't even see Peterman get on the field for the Bears ...
for the Chargers, Steve Gregory just had a HUGE hit that separated a receiver from the ball. of course, he was lined up at safety on the play ...

Hester has only been used as a blocker thus far, with the exception of the aforementioned reception mentioned by Jack Lambert.

for the Seahawks, wide receiver Logan Payne just made a very athletic, never-give-up play on punt coverage, which resulted in the tackle. he was even bragged on by the commentators ... before they made fun of his haircut.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
the Seahawks back-up quarterback just threw toward Hass who was wide-open deep ... but the pass was badly underthrown and almost intercepted.
smiley5.gif

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
staying up and watching this game finally paid off ...

Mike Hass with an 18-yard touchdown catch!

also, Will Herring has looked good at linebacker after playing safety at Auburn.

defensive end Nick Reed out of Oregon has 2 sacks!

dwid

Hall of Famer
are the chargers trying to make us forget that Hester was ever a RB? I hope their running game struggles all year unless they give Hester carries.

Nice td catch by Hass, it looks like Hasselback was rooting for him because he made a hand motion saying "YES" when Hass caught the td. At least I hope he is wanting Hass to make the team.

Reed with 2 sacks and 1 interception, guy looks goodEdited by: dwid

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
what an interception by Nick Reed! he leapt up and snagged that attempted screen like a power forward snaring a rebound. awesome!

Logan Payne just made a short catch. he looks quick as hell, and he showed nice speed earlier covering punts ... so why exactly is this guy not talented enough to be in the rotation?
Edited by: Jimmy Chitwood

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Logan Payne just blew by the cornerback on a go route for what would've been a57-yard touchdown if not for the pass interference.

as it was, Payne showed off his wheels and drew the flag on what ended up to be a 27-yard, or so, penalty.

and they come right back to Payne on a short hitch for 7 yards.Edited by: Jimmy Chitwood

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Charly Martin with another solid kick return for the Chargers. Mike Hass making the tackle.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
back-to-back catches for Charly Martin after the kick return. on the first, he showed nice footwork keeping in-bounds for 16 yards, then he got WIDE open for 17 more.
smiley32.gif

he's averaged 24 yards-per on histhree returns, by the way.Edited by: Jimmy Chitwood

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Damn, I turn off the game and things get a little more interesting. That is great for Hass! Was it a good pass? Was it a nice play by Hass?
I did see one of Nick Reed's sacks, the guy is good. As you said, dwid, Herring has looked good. He robbed Hester of a touchdown in the 2nd quarter.

Did any of you guys here the announcers interview T.J Houhasalongname? The guy was defending his pal Deon Butler. He wanted to get back in the game to pick a fight with Steve Gregory.
smiley5.gif
He was mad at Gregory for laying out that shrimp.
smiley36.gif
He hated the way Gregory got up and danced like he did something
smiley5.gif

If T.J. wants to see moronic dancing and celebrating, he should look no farther than some of his black teammates, and others from the teams they play.