2009 Pre-Season

Riddlewire

Master
Jordan, Buckhalter, and Moreno all get carries for Denver. Meanwhile, the only runningback they have who was successful last year gets zero carries.
I think McDaniels was lying all along about his plans. He knew Hillis was a popular RB choice among Denver fans. He was just telling them what they wanted to hear up until now. It seems, though, that McD had decided that "white boy must be a fullback".

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, all Hillis did in the first half when he played was block and have one reception. Just the way he was used last year before all the "real" running backs were injured.

If McDaniels is going to be a complete caste whore, and one half of one preseason game is too early to tell for sure, then I hope the Broncos season is a nightmare. Kyle Orton threw three picks in the first half. He has already been heavily booed at training camp by the team's alleged fans. Looks like the DWFs are going to go crazyprojecting all their frustrations and self-loathingon him this year.

DWFan

Mentor
If I hadn't stumbled upon this site, I might be surprised right now that Hillis doesn't get any carries, and that Vick is signed.
Hillis is my favorite NFL player right now. I'm not going to watch this garbage anymore, but I'm gonna read about it, and I hope Hillis comes out on top somehow. He's got such a good personality, in addition to his considerable football skills, I'm going to hate to see him abused even more than the other whites I've seen the NFL put up on the altar.

Riddlewire

Master
Well, my track record with wild speculation has been pretty good (RichRod, for example), so I'm gonna go ahead and say that Peyton gets asked to bulk up and be a battering ram this season. The only reason he's in at tailback right now is because Moreno injured his leg in the first half.

Riddlewire

Master
Hillis will most likely be Denver's leading rusher in this game. I'm sure McDouche will tell him, "Thanks for the fill-in. Now hit the weights."
Peyton does look good, though. His first steps are quicker than last season.

dwid

Hall of Famer
hillis has been getting a few carries and looking good, at least the fans will see once again what he is capable of. The only reason these recent drives seem to have any consistency. I didnt watch the first half but it was 9-0 before I saw Hillis getting carries, now it is 10-9. If Mcdaniels wants to win at all this season he should be giving Hillis a a great deal of carries.Edited by: dwid

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I wouldn't call Hillis being made a FB wild speculation. It is the NFL after all. As for Rodriguez, come on man!
smiley2.gif

DWFan

Mentor
That's good, since the only reason Hillis ever gets a carry is "X injured his Y in the first half".

About a year ago, Don Wassall posted a message putting forth the gist that Hillis might get some playing time if there were an insanely coincidental series of injuries to the Broncos tailback corps. And then it happened.

I don't want this kind of hurt to happen to the Broncos again, but if it does--GO HILLIS!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Denver's offense is much better with Hillis running, and Simms looks more composed than Orton. I feel better about McDaniels than I did in the first half. It looks like if Moreno gets hurt Hillis would have a good chance of being the main running back because he's obviously a superior and complete running back, and he may still get a fair amount of use even with Moreno in there. It's still too early to know with certainty how much Hillis will be used in the regular season based on this game.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I know its just a pre-season game and its not even over, but so far, all the scoring has been done by white men.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Just heard that Moreno left the game in the first half with a sprained knee and is having an MRI done tomorrow.. .

Riddlewire

Master
Don Wassall said:
Just heard that Moreno left the game in the first half with a sprained knee and is having an MRI done tomorrow. . .

That was the 49ers RB, wasn't it? I don't think there was any mention of Moreno.

*Nm. I guess they both had the same injury.Edited by: Riddlewire

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
No offense to Moreno, but yee haw for Peyton! Maybe he'll get a shot at running early on. Keep hope alive!

dwid

Hall of Famer
Colonel_Reb said:
I know its just a pre-season game and its not even over, but so far, all the scoring has been done by white men. 
close to over, still all scoring by White men. Brit Miller fb for 49ers made a nice catch and run td, then 2 point conversion to Bear Pascoe. Did Miller score the first td?

I guess Hillis is done for the night, looked great to me so far, that guy walker looks slow and not impressiveEdited by: dwid

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
dwid said:
Colonel_Reb said:

close to over, still all scoring by White men. Brit Miller fb for 49ers made a nice catch and run td, then 2 point conversion to Bear Pascoe. Did Miller score the first td?

Yeah.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Well, there goes the white out.
smiley21.gif

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Peyton Hillis is going to waste away on Denver. If only the kept last years coach. They will give him a few touches in the season but he will mostly have to waste his talent as a blocker. This guys has pro bowl talent. He should be the starter in a fair world. He should speak up. I get so tired of our guys just excetpting their role. I know it's hard to do with the money they make but this kid is just too talented to not run the ball.Damn, this makes me sick. Another nice game by Hillis but the coach probably doesn't give a rats ass.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
49ers ILB Scott McKillop led his team with 7 solo tackles against the Broncos; the next highest total by any of his teammates was 4. McKillop is going to replace aging Takeo Spikes in San Fran's lineup sooner or later, hopefully sooner as Spikes is injury prone. McKillop was a tackling machine at Pitt (led the country in tackles in '07 and was among the leaders in '08) but lasted until the fifth round because he's an "overachiever" who "isn't athletic." It's amazing how someone can be the best in the country at what he does but still not be athletic; that's quite a feat.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
just watching the Colts game i recorded ... Giordano looks incredibly fast, and fellow starting safety Jamie Silva is a tackling machine. both have already made beautiful one-on-one tackles in the open field, Silva against the punt returner for the Vikes and Giordano against the back-up tailback.

in the battle for the third receiver spot, black wideout Pierre Garcon just dropped a well set-up bubble screen. hit him right in the hands and he just flat dropped it. Manning gave him a longlook, after the drop which forced an Indy punt.

Riddlewire

Master
I have this sad suspicion that this (Denver@SF) was the best game of the entire NFL season for fans like us.
Edited by: Riddlewire

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Riddlewire, sadly you might be right.

Jimmy, man I envy you being able to record games. I'm stuck with a so-called cable package that will air a total of 6 pre-season NFL games.

foobar75

Master
I'm seeing lots of Pro-Hillis comments on the Broncos forum at Denver Post. You should check it out. I picked out two:

And please... Peyton Hillis looked great. Again. The kid obviously has the skills to play in the league. He goes "all out" on every play. I don't want to see him get hurt in the pre-season because he means so much to the team... don't play him again until the regular season starts.

and

Does Hillis have to go thru half another season before some damn coaches see he deserves TO START AT RUNNING BACK?

Get the hell beat out of him in training camp, knock defensive linemen out, knock the hell out of the opposing team's 2nd string D, catch everything in sight.

In short, BE A REAL FOOTBALL PLAYER.

How long is it gonna take? To hell with Buckhalter and especially Jordan. Hillis has proven EVERY TIME HE GETS IN A GAME he's a very good football player.

Put him in the starting lineup where HE BELONGS, and let some of McD's favorites beat HIM out. If they can.

There were quite a few other comments that basically said "Buckhalter and Jordan stink".

So, the fans know what's going on. It will be beyond criminal and I will freaking stop watching football and wish all the worst to the Denver franchise if they screw Hillis this year.

GWTJ

Mentor
Sportscenters recap of the Denver-San Francisco game showed all three of Moreno's carries and nobody elses. The announcers bragging about him the whole time. And of course they showed all of Orton's interceptions.

It is obvious to me that ESPN has a pact with the NFL as to who to show on their highlights depending on whether the play was a good one or a bad one. Had Hillis fumbled, I have no doubt he would have made it on to Sportscenter.

Hillis had ten carries for 49 yards. A nice 4.9 average and worthy of mention, and Denver went for the two point conversion and the win at the end but that wasn't shown either. ESPN didn't show a single highlight of the second half.

PATHETIC and VERY, VERY FRUSTRATING!!!

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
I was just watching some of the re-broadcast of "Baseball Tonight" on ESPN2 40 minutes ago, and I made sure to check out their scroller on the bottom of the screen.

Only Kyle Orton was shown when they showed stats for the Denver game.

Then, when they showed the stats for the New Orleans game, they SHOWED Reggie Busts 3 carries for 5 yards!

I know why ESPN is scared! We are capable of dominating and they know it. ESPN is infested with little sissies that would never walk up to a big White man and tell him "he's inferior"...

Quiet Speed

Mentor
There was a vast difference in the way Shockey looked compared to last season - night and day. There definitely was an extra burst or spring in his step that was not there. Looked quick. Let's hope his return to top physical form eliminates the inopportune drop here and there that he has suffered from.

On the topic of Reggie Bush, he must have the fewest yards gained average after contact for a RB in the history of the league. In most instances, it appears he just crumbles when hit. The phrase - built like Tarzan, plays like Jane - comes to mind.