white vs black position battles

referendum

Mentor
Costa in Dallas is now out for 2-4 weeks, and that hurts his chances of taking over for Gurode when he's back I would think. Adam Carriker in Washington may have earned a reprieve with Jenkins getting injured last night.

referendum

Mentor
In St Louis Poppinga vs Diggs, and Leber, ( half white half Korean) vs. Kehl, it looks like at least one of those two will win out, maybe both.

referendum

Mentor
The Philadelphia offensive line situation is fluid, and according to weenieworld Todd Herremans is moving to right tackle because the afrotletes there are bad or injured (Harris). Another white Evan Mathis would become a starting guard in Herremans place. With rookie Watkins as the other guard, that would make three white starters, plus the possibility of Kelce beating out Jamal Jackson for center. Hard to imagine four whites starting on the O-line, but three looks pretty likely for the Eagles.

Update, a twitter from "eagles insider" that I saw on bleacher report says o-line has four whites starting, Herremans, Kelce, Mathis and Watkins, but again its preseason so lets see what happens.

Last edited:

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It looks like the Eagles are finally wising up and realizing that sumo linemen aren't anywhere near what they're cranked up to be. With all the moves Philly made, the o-line remained their glaring weakness, but they are now addressing it. If they have 4 White o-linemen starting, along with Celek, Cooper as a probable backup, and Babin and Matthews on defense, they could have 7 Whites starting, better than most teams.

The Colts-Packers game last night featured 10 White offensive linemen starting. :thumb:

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
ESPN's magazine has a whole issue dedicated to Vick. One of the articles stated that Vick is going to revolutionize the QB position - its a retreaded argument that has been around for probably 25 years. It was pushed into high gear 11 years ago when Vick was drafted and nothing else happened, so it looks like its just another push for the afflete to try and take over the QB position by BSPN.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
It looks like the Eagles are finally wising up and realizing that sumo linemen aren't anywhere near what they're cranked up to be. With all the moves Philly made, the o-line remained their glaring weakness, but they are now addressing it. If they have 4 White o-linemen starting, along with Celek, Cooper as a probable backup, and Babin and Matthews on defense, they could have 7 Whites starting, better than most teams.

The Colts-Packers game last night featured 10 White offensive linemen starting. :thumb:

I don't know about that Don. I'm not sure who was starting on the offensive line for the Eagles in the preseason game, but the depth charts I looked at have only two whites starting, Herremans and Watkins. Don't forget Owen Schmitt is a starter as well so that gives the Eagles a potential six white starters this year.

Last edited:

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Schmitt gives them potentially eight White starters, depending on how the o-line ends up and if Casey Matthews ends up starting at middle linebacker. Nothing Andy Reid does surprises me when it comes to screwing over White players, so we'll see how it shakes out.

referendum

Mentor
Yeah, the Eagles O-line is still in a state of flux, with uncertainty over whether Kelce beats out Jackson for center, and whether Herremans move to tackle stays, and whether Mathis stays as Herremans replacement at guard. But, if all this happens we would actually be looking at 4 whites starting on O-line.

Also, just saw a rapid report that said Adam Snyder is still in the fight for center position against Goodwin in San Francisco. I'll be watching some of that game, and will be rooting for the Texans for sure.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Yeah, the Eagles O-line is still in a state of flux, with uncertainty over whether Kelce beats out Jackson for center, and whether Herremans move to tackle stays, and whether Mathis stays as Herremans replacement at guard. But, if all this happens we would actually be looking at 4 whites starting on O-line.

Also, just saw a rapid report that said Adam Snyder is still in the fight for center position against Goodwin in San Francisco. I'll be watching some of that game, and will be rooting for the Texans for sure.

All the right and left tackles on the Eagles roster are black. You're right though, guys may be moved from tackle to guard and vice versa so it's still too early to tell.

BTW, does anyone know what the situation is shaping up to be with Riley Cooper? Is fourth or fifth on the depth chart? I know Jackson, Maclin, and Avant are ahead of him and possibly even Steve Smith.

referendum

Mentor
The Cowboys O-line is also in flux. Tonite Andre Gurode didn't play, a clear indication that something is up. If he is traded or cut, Phil Costa would likely be his replacement. He's out for 2-4 weeks, so tonite Kowalski filled in. Also, still unclear if Montrae Holland will be the starter at guard when he's healthy again, or whether Arkin or Nagy will win out. Good stuff going on with Cowboys O-line, now if we could get a white wide receiver for Dallas we might have a team worth rooting for.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
The Cowboys O-line is also in flux. Tonite Andre Gurode didn't play, a clear indication that something is up. If he is traded or cut, Phil Costa would likely be his replacement.
Are there rumors that he may get cut? For years I've maintained that Gurode might be the worst starting center in the league. Of course, year after year he has been selected to the Pro Bowl (a meaning-less honor if there ever were one). I still rememeber watching a Giants - Cowboys games from a few years back. Almost every snap when Romo was in the shotgun was either low, high or botched by the dimwhited center. The Giants d-line abused Romo as a result. Of course, the announcers defended Gurode saying he was not used to snapping the ball in that formation. Hmmm guess he never had to do it in college, high school or peewei football either.

referendum

Mentor
Update, Gurode has been cut. Assuming this isn't just a cut and resign deal, and it doesn't sound like it is, Phil Costa will be new Cowboys center, and Arkin and Nagy are still in the running to be one of the guards. Hopefully if another team signs him it will be a team like Pittsburg or Chicago, where he can unseat another black.

referendum

Mentor
Rams have released Niall Diggs, I believe this makes it likely for either Poppinga or Leber to be the starter.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
So far so good with the Eagles. Right now there will be three white starting offensive linemen, Kelce, Watkins, and Herremans. From Rotoworld:
Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg confirmed that sixth-round rookie Jason Kelce is his starting center.

With Howard Mudd now in town as line coach, the Eagles are transitioning to a smaller, quicker unit. Kelce joins first-round guard Danny Watkins to give the Eagles two rookies protecting Michael Vick. It's far from an ideal situation, especially with the right tackle spot also unsettled. Former starting center Jamaal Jackson will be forced to swallow his pride and play a reserve role.

referendum

Mentor
It looks like Howard Mudd is behind the Eagles changes. He was the Colts O-line coach for most of the Peyton Manning era, and he likes lighter, athletic linemen, so clearly favors the white prototype O-lineman. I like the fact that Watkins and Kelce are young, hopefully they'll do well.

referendum

Mentor
Out of nowhere comes more good O-line news, Doug Legursky may be the starter at right guard for Steelers, vs black Tony Hills. Bad news is that six teams have contacted Andre Gurode, and if he is handed a center job somewhere he'd probably be displacing a white center.

referendum

Mentor
Some bad news is a position loss in Cleveland, where Steinbach went on IR, to be replaced by a black, and Geoff Schwartz in Carolina going on IR. Also, expect Olshansky in Dallas to lose his starting position, maybe even be cut.

referendum

Mentor
Well, Harbaugh has named Goodwin (black) over Snyder (white) to be the 49ers center. He did claim that he has seven starters on his o-line, meaning he has confidence in his two top backups, I suppose, Boone and Snyder. both white. In a surprising development, Brent Giacomeni has an outside chance of beating out Carpenter to be right tackle for the Seahawks. I'd be surprised if this happened but at least its under discussion.

referendum

Mentor
Thought I'd recap how things turned out in some of the white vs black head to head position battles.

Offensive line battles.

Strief vs Brown in New Orleans, victory
Costa vs Gurode in Dallas, victory
Arkin or Nagy vs Holland in Dallas, victory
Kelce vs Jackson in Phil, victory
Lang vs Sherrod in GB, victory
white guards vs Iljalana in Indy, victory
Pears vs Wrotto in Buffalo, victory
Legursky vs Hill in Pitts, victory

Sndyer vs Goodwin in SF, loss
Levitre vs Bell in Buffalo, loss
Tennant vs Kreutz in New Orleans, loss
Spitz vs black, Jacksonville, loss

QB,

Ponder vs Mcnabb, Minnesota, loss for now
Gabbert/Mcnown vs Garrard, victory
Whitehurst vs Jackson, loss for now

tight end,
Chandler vs Martin/Nelson, Buffalo, victory
Pitta vs ****son, tie

Defense
Defensive line is so fluid that its hard to tell who is starting and how important that really is depends on the team.

Linebacker,
Matthews vs weenieworlds insults about how bad he was in preseason, victory for Matthews
Bradley vs Lenon, Arizona, loss for now
Laboy vs black at San Diego, tie, as he will see lots of snaps as edge rusher.
Poppinga vs Kehl, Leber vs black, St Louis, both victorious
Safety,
Prosinski vs black Jacksonville, loss
Zbikowski vs black, too early to tell?
Doughty vs black, too early to tell?

All in all, whites did pretty well in these battles, I just wish there were more competitions on defense and more white victories on defense.