white vs black position battles

referendum

Mentor
I thought we could start a thread about white vs black starting position battles.
Here are a few that I've been following.
Jacksonville, Garrard vs Gabbert, Prosinski vs two blacks for starting safety, and does a third white man win a starting o-line job.
Kansas City, does Gregg in fact win starting d-line position, and O'Callaghan starting tackle.
Oakland, right now four whites listed as O-line starters, does this stay intact? Also, does a white man break into the black 11 starters on defense, either Trevor Scott or Goethals.
SF, does Snyder win out as starting center over Goodwin.
Minnesota, Mcnabb vs Ponder for QB, Robison vs black guy for starting end, and does a third white player win a starting o-line job (right now looks like just two).
Buffalo, outside chance for Eric Pears to win RT job.
Miami, different depth charts have uncertainty for o-line, RT is in question, yahoo has Columbo as starter, CBS a black.
Indy, do we have an all white o-line or does black Ijalana beat out a white player for one of the guard positions. And does Collie become official second starting WR over Garcon. Not too concerned about this as Colts will run with three wideouts for many plays I believe.
Arizona, does Stewart Bradley in fact integrate all black Cardinals defense, and win a starting position?
Dallas, does Sean Lee win a starting position, but if he does likely over Brooking?
Baltimore, Pitta vs ****son, tight end.
I'd like to hear about some more that I'm missing.

ALBINO RHINO

I thought we could start a thread about white vs black starting position battles.
Here are a few that I've been following.
Jacksonville, Garrard vs Gabbert, Prosinski vs two blacks for starting safety, and does a third white man win a starting o-line job.
Kansas City, does Gregg in fact win starting d-line position, and O'Callaghan starting tackle.
Oakland, right now four whites listed as O-line starters, does this stay intact? Also, does a white man break into the black 11 starters on defense, either Trevor Scott or Goethals.
SF, does Snyder win out as starting center over Goodwin.
Minnesota, Mcnabb vs Ponder for QB, Robison vs black guy for starting end, and does a third white player win a starting o-line job (right now looks like just two).
Buffalo, outside chance for Eric Pears to win RT job.
Miami, different depth charts have uncertainty for o-line, RT is in question, yahoo has Columbo as starter, CBS a black.
Indy, do we have an all white o-line or does black Ijalana beat out a white player for one of the guard positions. And does Collie become official second starting WR over Garcon. Not too concerned about this as Colts will run with three wideouts for many plays I believe.
Arizona, does Stewart Bradley in fact integrate all black Cardinals defense, and win a starting position?
Dallas, does Sean Lee win a starting position, but if he does likely over Brooking?
Baltimore, Pitta vs ****son, tight end.
I'd like to hear about some more that I'm missing.

Seattle, I would be surprised if Tavaris Jackson starts game 1 over Whitehurst.
Atlanta, Kroy Biermann vs. multiple blacks
Green Bay, Jordy Nelson vs. multiple blacks

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Pats RB Danny Woodhead vs. a plethora of afroletes.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Pats RB Danny Woodhead vs. a plethora of afroletes.

This is from a well-known fantasy football site. The writer, Adam Caplan (who always writes from a Caste point of view), thinks grandpas Kevin Faulk and Sammy Morris will take over a large part of Woodhead's role.

New England Patriots – While fifth-year RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis is the starter, the rest of the roles are unclear. Kevin Faulk figures to see time on third downs, along with Sammy Morris. Green-Ellis also figures to see a short-yardage role. The roles for the rookies RBs Shane Vereen andStevan Ridleyare unclear. RB/WR Danny Woodhead figures to see a change-of-pace role.

dwid

Hall of Famer
This is from a well-known fantasy football site. The writer, Adam Caplan (who always writes from a Caste point of view), thinks grandpas Kevin Faulk and Sammy Morris will take over a large part of Woodhead's role.

New England Patriots – While fifth-year RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis is the starter, the rest of the roles are unclear. Kevin Faulk figures to see time on third downs, along with Sammy Morris. Green-Ellis also figures to see a short-yardage role. The roles for the rookies RBs Shane Vereen andStevan Ridleyare unclear. RB/WR Danny Woodhead figures to see a change-of-pace role.
he is living in a fantasy world if he thinks that will happen. How much more change of pace can you get if you have 3 guys already running the ball? Kevin Faulk had a great career with the Pats but Danny is much better. Sammy Morris...haha. Bellicheck replaced Bledsoe with Tom Brady after he came in and was much more promising, even though he was a "6th round nobody" in the minds of most fans, they thought Bledsoe would get the job back after he rehabbed his injury.

referendum

Mentor
An outside shot seems to be Jason Kelce for center, or maybe another line position, to go along with Herremans and Watkins and thus be a third white starter on Eagles o-line.

referendum

Mentor
Some good news, according to yahoo player news about Steward Bradley, he will be one of the starting linebackers for Cards, though of course its a month out till season starts so we'll see.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer

Take a look at this thread Don:
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/714759-woodhead-vs-tomlinson.html

It looks like the Patriots have a lot of sober white fans. They realize that a RB that averaged 5.6 YPC (would have been tied for second for ALL NFL RBs with over 100 carries if he had just a mere 3 more) has more upside than an over 30 y.o Tomlinson (when most RBs rapidly decline once they hit 30).

This is also a very interesting page of statistics to look at, which shows how well Woodhead fared-and you'd have to say Peyton Hillis as well (in such a bad Browns' offense, while facing the Steelers and Ravens twice)!
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb

According to the last poster in the first link "Kasmir": Woodhead would have been the first player EVER since Football Outsiders started keeping statistics to lead the league in rushing DVOA, and combined rushing/ receiving DVOA for RBs with over 100 carries if he had a mere 3 more carries on the season! Too bad he didn't qualify, but he came oh so close.

It is going to be hard for the PTB to push for Woodhead's role to be reduced with how popular he is, (with a new endorsement deal) and increased awareness of how good he is as you can see by the poll in the Patsfans.com thread!

referendum

Mentor
Buffalo, tight end, Scott Chandler given a decent shot to be starter against two blacks.

referendum

Mentor
Dallas, Phil Costa vs Holland for a starting guard position, which if he wins gives Dallas six whites on offense, counting the fullback position.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Stewart Bradley has so much more talent than Paris Lenon, but Lenon continues to be the starter. Bradley obviously will eventually be the starter, but if the races were reversed the annointment would be made instantly, not at the end of training camp or sometime during the regular season.

This article about Bradley unfortunately has lots of homoerotic references in it -- typical of the corporate media in the US of Gay -- but his combination of brawn and brains equals All Pro status if he can stay healthy (and be "allowed" to start).

Cardinals' Stewart Bradley has an appetite for more

Upon first glance, you're not sure if you just met an NFL linebacker or an underwear model for Calvin Klein.

But don't be deceived by the chiseled physique or the magazine-cover facial features. Forget that he is a renaissance man who studies architecture and the arts, fine literature and foreign languages.

Stewart Bradley can certainly disarm the ladies with his looks and multitude of interests, which also includes gourmet cooking and playing the guitar, but he'd just as soon rip your face off as the newest inside linebacker for the Cardinals.

After all, that's why he is here in the first place.

"I can't wait to start getting after it," Stewart said last week. "There's a lot I still have to learn, but I'm diving into it head first."

That's typically what Bradley, formerly of the Philadelphia Eagles, does in every walk of his life, whether it involves football or not. He has a voracious appetite for knowledge and is constantly feeding his mind with new morsels.

Lately, it's been studying schemes and coverage assignments drawn up by the Cardinals' new defensive coordinator, Ray Horton. As soon as he was allowed to practice with the team upon signing a five-year, free-agent contract, Bradley already was calling out signals for the defense as if he had been here for years.

"He's doing everything," Horton said, nodding appreciatively. "He's a veteran and knows how to play."

A native of Salt Lake City who played collegiate at Nebraska, Bradley's career has been stunted by injuries. Twice, he's suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his knee.

Last season, he missed three games with a dislocated elbow and another game because of a concussion, which directly led to the NFL creating a standardized method for examining players during games.

"I think when Stewart's healthy, he's one of the best linebackers in the game," Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt said.

It's comments like that, along with Bradley's speed, strength and size (6-4, 258 pounds), that ultimately may allow him to move ahead of Paris Lenon on the depth chart and start at middle linebacker.

As a starter with the Eagles in 2008, Bradley unofficially amassed 151 tackles, which left then-teammate Dan Klecko likening him to Bears star Brian Urlacher.

"Ohhhhh, watch out downhill," Horton says of Bradley as if he's licking his chops. "He's going to come downhill and hit you. He's a very smart player and aggressive. And he's a lot better in coverage than I really thought he was."

Considering Bradley's varied acumen, that should probably come as no surprise. Imagine Hannibal Lecter in shoulder pads or the Incredible Hulk in a football helmet, and you've got Stewart Bradley.

He is bloodthirsty yet boyish. He is monstrous yet Mensa-like.

"In this job, you can really expand your horizons," Bradley said. "Aside from the times I'm working out, I've got a lot of free time so I try to be productive and do something to add to my life.

"Studying authors, music, food, design, I just kind of bounce around and like to collect hobbies and learn new stuff. Like speaking French, for instance."

Yes, he can do that. Oh, and did you know he once interned at "Elle," the women's fashion magazine? Yeah, he did that, too.

In addition to perhaps forming a rock band with his brother, Bradley also is thinking about one day opening his own biodynamic farm and restaurant.

Cardinals special-teams coach Kevin Spencer jokes that Bradley would fit in perfectly in the Scottsdale nightclub scene.

"He'd be the classic Scottsdale guy," the coach said.

"I don't even know what that means," Bradley said, laughing. "I've never been to Scottsdale, but I've heard it's a nice place to live - and visit."

He belongs to all of Arizona now, so get used to having him around. Quarterback Kevin Kolb, a teammate of Bradley's with the Eagles, couldn't be happier that the linebacker is here.

"He's a phenomenal player," Kolb said. "Intelligent. I don't know if you've seen him, but he's a freak. He's a big, athletic guy. When he gets it down, he will be a true quarterback on that side of the ball. He studies hard; he takes the game serious.

"His only issue through his career has been staying healthy and it's been kind of freaky things, so if we can just keep him healthy, I think everybody will be very pleased with the kind of player he'll be. I think he'll be a Pro Bowl-caliber player."

If that doesn't work out, Bradley's other life options would seem limitless. Besides, Calvin Klein is always looking for a few good men to model its underwear.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2011/08/13/20110813arizona-cardinals-stewart-bradley-appetite.html#ixzz1V3HZaAQi

dwid

Hall of Famer
"unofficially amassed 151 tackles" I wonder why White linebackers numbers from places like ESPN are always so far off from the numbers their actual teams have on them, the teams that review footage each week that have more accurate numbers. Scott Shanle had at least 120 tackles tallied by the Saint's staff, when ESPN had him at 87. I have complained to them and now I see that it says that "tackles are an unofficial statistic", but only for college players.

referendum

Mentor
TJ Lang vs Derrick Sherrod for Guard. A win for Lang keeps the Packers O-line all white. Also Frank Zombo vs two blacks for a linebacker position to go along with Hawk and Mathews.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
TJ Lang vs Derrick Sherrod for Guard. A win for Lang keeps the Packers O-line all white. Also Frank Zombo vs two blacks for a linebacker position to go along with Hawk and Mathews.

Rotoworld says Lang has won the job for the Packer's left guard spot.

T.J. Lang appears to have overtaken first-round pick Derek Sherrod as the Packers' new starting left guard.

Line coach James Campen cited Lang's familiarity in the offense and says Sherrod "isn't playing as fast as he'd like to." According to beat writers, Sherrod has looked more comfortable practicing at tackle, his college position. Regardless, the Packers easily project to field a top-ten line this season.

referendum

Mentor
In San Diego Travis Laboy vs Larry English for outside linebacker starter.
Jacksonville Matt Roth vs Mincey for defensive end, also Spitz vs Rackley for whites to hold onto a majority of O-line starters. Jacksonville is looking very interesting with the Gabbert vs Garrard QB battle, and Prosinski also in the mix for safety

referendum

Mentor
Some updates,
Things are looking good at Buffalo where Pears and Chandler are leading for their positions. Jacksonville not so good however as Spitz may lose job to a black so Jags only with two starting white O-line. Dallas I'm optimistic that a third white man starts on O-line, but Olshansky might be in danger of not starting on D-line but he'd still be in rotation. Colts Joe Reitz may win out as fifth white man starting on O-line over a black.
Some new battles are New Orleans where Will Herring has a chance for linebacker, and Detroit where Bobby Carpenter might have a chance (I'm guessing not that strong though) for starting linebacker. Also San Francisco where Alex Boone is fighting for starting tackle over Davis, but outside chance, and Britt Miller may have better chance at starting fullback.

dwid

Hall of Famer
New Orleans doesn't really have a competition, if Herring starts then it is likely that Scott Shanle will not. Fans have screamed for more "athleticism" at the outside linebacker position despite Shanle playing great (Fujita as well when he was here healthy), despite given defensive player of the year award and their beloved Jonathan Vilma saying that he couldn't rack up all the tackles and other plays if Shanle wasn't playing next to him. Against the Texans Shanle didn't start,, and the defense looked terrible. Before if the defense did badly it was "Scott Shanle's fault", after this game it was "outside linebacker's fault" even though most of the blame was on Cassilas who has gotten constant praise.

Mighty Joe2

Jake Ballard and Bear Pascoe are in competion with Travis Beckum for the starting TE job.Beckum is undersized so even if he does win the starting role Pascoe and Ballard should see plenty of snaps.New York could start 7 Whites on offense.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Former third-round draft pick Tom Zbikowski gets the starting nod at strong safety tonight after Bernard Pollard started the previous week. Pollard is an enforcer type who blitzes and looks like a linebacker. Zbikowski's coverage has been steady, but he needs to make some big plays. Quietly, Haruki Nakamura has turned in a strong preseason with eight tackles and a sack.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Former third-round draft pick Tom Zbikowski gets the starting nod at strong safety tonight after Bernard Pollard started the previous week. Pollard is an enforcer type who blitzes and looks like a linebacker. Zbikowski's coverage has been steady, but he needs to make some big plays. Quietly, Haruki Nakamura has turned in a strong preseason with eight tackles and a sack.

I sure hope Tommy Z becomes a full time starter this season. He was very hyped in college his junior year which is rare for a white safety. All of a sudden his senior season the media and scouts found a ton of "flaws" in his game and they labeled him a liability in coverage.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I hope Zbikowski earns the starting nod as well. I do hope Nakamura gets alot of playing time as well (probably will when the brittle Ed Reed gets injured), I have been impressed with him anytime I have seen him. I believe he is have white/half japanese.

referendum

Mentor
In Dallas the offensive line battles might be for two positions, Costa vs Gurode for center, and two whites Arkin and Nagy vs Holland for a guard spot. So, whites could have anywhere from two to four on offensive line. In Buffalo Andy Levitre might be a contender for the left tackle position vs Bell. If Levitre wins that would make for an all white O-line for starters, though backups would not be all white.