Week 3 2009

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It is curious that the question of the complete lack of black kickers is never raised. Certainly being a kicker is the "easy" way to make a team and make great money compared to other professions while rarely having to block, tackle and otherwise engage in the aspects of the sport that take a physical toll.

I guess it's assumed that kicking is yet another "sport" in which all blacks have no interest, just as they're said to have no interest in anything other than basketball, football and sprinting. Since they seemingly are always said to have "rocket arms" then they should have "rocket legs" as well and kicking should be effortless for them. In reality, the few that the NFL has had have been very erratic, much like black QBs are. The lack of hand-eye coordination that many blacks have compared to whites is the explanation for a lot of things in sports but is a taboo subject because it reflects well on whites and negatively on the alleged "world's greatest athletes."

And the popular image of the unathletic, somewhat comical white kicker who contrasts starkly with the rough and tough black warriors on the team is one the media likes to push as it fits the Caste agenda well.Edited by: Don Wassall

Bear Backer

Mentor
Don Wassall said:
It is curious that the question of the complete lack of black kickers is never raised.  Certainly being a kicker is the "easy" way to make a team and make great money compared to other professions while rarely having to block, tackle and otherwise engage in the aspects of the sport that take a physical toll.
<div> </div>
<div>I guess it's assumed that kicking is yet another "sport" in which all blacks have no interest, just as they're said to have no interest in anything other than basketball, football and sprinting.  Since they seemingly are always said to have "rocket arms" then they should have "rocket legs" as well and kicking should be effortless for them.  In reality, the few that the NFL has had have been very erratic, much like black QBs are.  The lack of hand-eye coordination that many blacks have compared to whites is the explanation for a lot of things in sports but is a taboo subject because it reflects well on whites and negatively on the alleged "world's greatest athletes."</div>
<div> </div>
<div>And the popular image of the unathletic, somewhat comical white kicker who contrasts starkly with the rough and tough black warriors on the team is one the media likes to push as it fits the Caste agenda well.</div>

Remember how the media had a field day with Mike Vanjerjagt and the idiot kicker remark? They yucked that up forever. That was like caste heaven for them. I would be surprised if some of them didn't have to go home and check their Michael Vick underoos for Hershey squirts since they got so many gut busting chuckles out of that. Or how Scott Norwood was demonized basically for the Bills entire run of Superbowl failures? The NFL loves the image of the White kicker as the nonathletic buffoon who is just a dingleberry wand is not really part of the team of real athletes. It is the image that is painted for White guys all the time in black urban culture and in rap and hip hop music in general. The kicker is the NFL's version of Vanilla Ice who is just around to be seen as a clown and amuse. I am certainly not a rap fan, nor am I fan of Eminem, but there is a reason why a lot of black rappers and hip hop fans alike hate him. He transcends the stereotype of the white clown in hip hop and makes it something worthwhile for the fans to actually get behind and support for his "talent" and I use that word talent loosely. Edited by: Bear Backer

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
The only black punter I can think of is Reggie Hodges. I don't know why they claim blacks have "rocket arms" when all the best pitchers and quarterbacks are white. I don't follow baseball much but I do know that there are very few even decent black pitchers.They have all gone into football and basketball supposedly at this point. Otherwise they would be dominating baseball as well.

Here is another subject the media loves to bring up. Blacks don't box anymore supposedly. However any fool with half a brain can check boxrec and see that there are hundreds of professional black heavyweights boxing today. The fact that they suck never applies to them.

Westside

Hall of Famer
What about the Dolphins Rick Roby?

guest301

Hall of Famer
Westside said:

Roby was a decent punter. He must have had some white genes.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
It is curious that the question of the complete lack of black kickers is never raised.  Certainly being a kicker is the "easy" way to make a team and make great money compared to other professions while rarely having to block, tackle and otherwise engage in the aspects of the sport that take a physical toll.
<div> </div>
<div>I guess it's assumed that kicking is yet another "sport" in which all blacks have no interest, just as they're said to have no interest in anything other than basketball, football and sprinting.  Since they seemingly are always said to have "rocket arms" then they should have "rocket legs" as well and kicking should be effortless for them.  In reality, the few that the NFL has had have been very erratic, much like black QBs are.  The lack of hand-eye coordination that many blacks have compared to whites is the explanation for a lot of things in sports but is a taboo subject because it reflects well on whites and negatively on the alleged "world's greatest athletes."</div>
<div> </div>
<div>And the popular image of the unathletic, somewhat comical white kicker who contrasts starkly with the rough and tough black warriors on the team is one the media likes to push as it fits the Caste agenda well.</div>
That athletic image was forged in the 70's when foreigners from Europe and Mexico kicked and had no football experience. Who can forget the Ypremian throw in SBVII. Before when kickers were regular players many were tough linemen or speedy receivers.

white is right

Hall of Famer
To quote mob movies kickers are treated like their "half a ****". I have even seen studio analysts do this on ESPN. Mark Schlereth was all over Vanderjagt when the Manning incident happened.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I also find it ridiculous how much praise these fat black athletes get from the media. Listening to the media speak about guys like Pat Williams, Flozell Adams and Andre Smith you would think they are gods or something. These guys are nothing more than obese affletes. If you need more proof just think about the fact that Andre Smith was drafted 6th in this past draft. All he had to do was show up at the combine obese and exremely out of shape. I would love to have seen the media treatment of Jake Long if he did the same.

white is right

Hall of Famer
guest301 said:
Westside said:

Roby was a decent punter. He must have had some white genes.
Actually Reggie Roby is on the hall nomination list. Of course if Ray Guy isn't making it then Reggie isn't either. It's funny because punters are generally stockier players they aren't treated like lepers or "half a f@gs" like their teammates nearly as much as place kickers.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Westside said:

Reggie Roby was the Warren Moon of black kickers and punters, far and away the best of the few that have made the NFL. The Vikings had a Nigerian place kicker for a few seasons named Donald Igwebuike. He ended up getting busted for dealing heroin.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Damn, I got his name wrong, sorry about that. Any word when Andre Smiff will lumber on to the field and take up space and a roster spot. Simply incredible of the stupidity of the Bengals not to give him a pre work out before sign him to 46 million. Does anyone how much he got up front?

white is right

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
Westside said:
<div> </div>
<div>Reggie Roby was the Warren Moon of black kickers and punters, far and away the best of the few that have made the NFL.  The Vikings had a Nigerian place kicker for a few seasons named Donald Igwebuike.  He ended up getting busted for dealing heroin.  </div>
Yes that added to the crazy image of the place kicker. I remember Sports Illustrated doing a piece on kickers and that and other incidents about kickers being picked up while working weird jobs and then kicking game winning kicks and then being cut the following day were told. I also remember a Robin Williams joke about place kickers where he put on fake accent and acted like a pansy.

backrow

Hall of Famer
i am pretty sure that David Buehler would dispute the unathletic claims from the media. he recently beat Cowboys corner in a foot race.

640962.jpg

Podlesh and Sepulveda could pitch in as well.

white is right

Hall of Famer
In the CFL most kickers do both duties and the Argos had a place kicker named Noel Prefontaine who used to stick to guys while tackling on special teams. Like this guy he was a "real" football player in high school that kicked in the pros too. Also Darren Bennett was always praised for his toughness while he was in the NFL.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
The Cowboys QB Danny White also punted as I recall. I always wondered why their aren't more "duel-role" kickers+punters in the NFL. I know there's different techniques, but both require leg strength/snap, etc.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Cowboys rookie kicker David Buehler (pic posted by backrow) also out-benched a bunch of affletes at the combine, including the Bengals 1st rounder, the big-breasted OL Andre Smith. You know, the obese, weak little baby who actually had the nerve to HOLD OUT this offseason.

At 6-3, 230 lbs, I can also bench 225 more times than Smith....and I had to play at a small college while he went to Alabama!

Don Wassall said:
Westside said:
<div> </div>
<div>Reggie Roby was the Warren Moon of black kickers and punters, far and away the best of the few that have made the NFL.  The Vikings had a Nigerian place kicker for a few seasons named Donald Igwebuike.  He ended up getting busted for dealing heroin.  </div>[/QUOTE

I remember around 1970 someone wrote that there never had been a consistent black placekicker in pro football. I have sometimes wondered why this hasn't drawn complaints from the Usual Suspects the way the black quarterback issue has for decades.

The unathletic white placekicker compared to his "superathletic" teammates may have something to do with it. Wouldn't a black man who came in and won games with last-second field goals be a big story? There never has been a sign of such an individual.

Jim Brown was the placekicker for Syracuse in 1956 and was, I once read, ready to kick for the Browns if Lou Groza had been injured, which never happened. In a 1964 book, Brown said that while he placekicked, he could not punt because he did not have a "fluid leg."

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
sport historian, thanks for posting that quote from Mr. Africa. I'm going to have to remember that!

white is right

Hall of Famer
I was searching on the net for the SI story about kickers and found an older one from the 70's. This one is just as funny. The funniest story is the cutting of the Cowboys kicker Efren Herrera. He demanded a raise and Landry subsequently cut him. Years later Herrera pitched beer with other players from his era...
smiley2.gif
Here is the SI story....November 13, 1978
Kick It Or Get Booted
Job security is far from guaranteed for the men who put the foot into football
Steve Wulf
View CoverRead All Articles View This Issue
Print This PRINT E-mail This EMAIL Most Popular MOST POPULAR SHARE SHARE

One Monday evening in mid-September the owner of the Cue & Chalk Family Billiards parlor in West Seneca, N.Y. received a phone call during which he was told to catch the next plane from nearby Buffalo to New Orleans. Six days later John Leypoldt played a beautiful bank shot off the left upright from 27 yards away as time expired to give his newest NFL team, the New Orleans Saints, a 20-18 victory over the Cincinnati Bengals. One week later, after missing a field goal and kicking off weakly against the Los Angeles Rams, Leypoldt was on the first plane out of New Orleans for Buffalo en route back to his pool hall in West Seneca.

Leypoldt was the second of six kickers the Saints have employed this seasonâ€"seven, counting Rich Szaro's left and right feet. Like many NFL teams, the Saints have had difficulty settling on a kicker; since July, no fewer than 33 different placekickers and 16 punters have been released by the NFL's 28 teams.

Take the Philadelphia Eagles' situation. Rick Engles, who had punted for Seattle and Pittsburgh the last two years, started the season as the Eagles' No. 1 man, but after four games Coach Dick Vermeil put Engles on waivers. It was the second time this season that Engles had found himself on the waiver list. Philadelphia then signed Mitch Hoopes, the former Dallas, San Diego, St. Louis and Detroit punter, but he had such a poor week's practice that Vermeil cut him for the third time this season.

Engles, meanwhile, had flown home to Tulsa. On Friday night the Eagles phoned him and told him to stand by, that they might need him Sunday. The next morning they called again with a firm job offer. Moments before the weekly roster deadline Engles signed a new contract on the back of a refuse cart in Chicago's O'Hare Airport. He then flew to Baltimore and punted for the Eagles the next day against the Colts.

Engles lasted one more game before he was waived for the third time and replaced by Mike Michel, who had been released by the Miami Dolphins. In the second quarter of Michel's debut against the Redskins, he unloaded one punt for nine yards, another for 26 yards and whiffed on a third. Missed it completely. "I couldn't do that again if I tried," he said.

Michel still punts for the Eagles, at least for now, but like all the men who put the foot into football, he is well aware that the unemployment office is only a bad kick away. Just seven kickers and four punters work for the same teams that employed them five years ago, and only five of the league's 28 placekickers still perform for the teams with which they originally signed. On the other hand, Buffalo's Tom Dempsey is kicking for his fifth NFL club; Errol Mann has gone from Denver to Cleveland to Green Bay to Detroit to Green Bay to Oakland to the unemployment office to Oakland to Buffalo to Oakland; and the Mike-Mayer brothers, Nick and Steve, have, between them, worked in Atlanta, Detroit, Philadelphia, San Francisco and New Orleans.

There seem to be any number of reasons for this job insecurity. Kickers are inconsistent. Kickers do not get three downs in which to make good. Nobody knows how to coach soccer-style kickers, of which there are 22 at the moment. And while a kicker or punter might perform well in practice, when 50,000 people are yelling and stomping and 11 men are rushing at him in a game.... Well, it's definitely a buyer's market.

"You can always find a kicker," says Dallas Coach Tom Landry. "There are a lot of them around. We just bring them in and let them kick until we see one we like." Leypoldt, one of Landry's rejects, says, "Coaches treat us like cars. The old one is working perfectly fine, but they want a new one anyway. They think they'll enjoy it more." Hoopes, another Landry reject, who has had his hang time clocked by six different teams, says, "We go across the country knocking on doors and hoping to sell ourselves. I've only had my van a year, and I've already got 40,000 miles on it. Never, never buy a used van from a punter."

All this shuffling around has created a subculture of kickers and punters who write letters requesting tryouts and then wait by their phones. "Those calls have a special ring to them," says Leypoldt, who began to sit by the phone in August after Seattle cut him. Leypoldt returned to his pool hall, and the next day he was invited to attend a tryout in Dallas, where Landry was searching for a replacement for All-Pro Kicker Efren Herrera, who had demanded a rich new contract from the Cowboys. Hearing of this, Landry reportedly said, "Trade him," and Herrera was off to Seattle, where he took over Leypoldt's old job.

At Dallas, Leypoldt tried out against Rafael Septien and Tim Mazzetti; Septien, a Los Angeles reject, got the job. Then, when New England lost John Smith for the season with a leg injury, the Patriots had Leypoldt kick against Carson Long and Tony DiRienzo. New England told Leypoldt it would probably sign him in a few days, but in the meantime the Saints called and had Leypoldt compete against Mazzetti for the job left vacant when Szaro injured his groin. Leypoldt beat out Mazzetti, which turned out to be a break for Atlanta. Dissatisfied with Fred Steinfort, who had missed seven of 10 field-goal attempts and had two blocked field goals returned for touchdowns, Atlanta signed Mazzetti, and two weeks ago Mazzetti was canonized on Monday Night Football as he kicked five field goals in five tries to give the Falcons a 15-7 victory over the Rams.
Continue Story.......

Before Atlanta, Mazzetti had flunked tryouts with the Patriots, Eagles, Jets, Cowboys and Saints, and was happy to be clearing $200 a week while working the 10-to-2 graveyard shift at Smokey Joe's, a joint near the campus of his alma mater, the University of Pennsylvania. "After I failed in Dallas, I decided the hell with it," Mazzetti says. "I started concentrating on becoming a derelict again. Then I got the call from New Orleans. The coach [ Dick Nolan] told me I had a good foot but that I was out of shape. That woke me up. When Atlanta called I was ready. And when they told me I had the job, I just freaked."

Mazzetti outkicked Long and Hans Nielsen to win the Falcons' job. He had his first field-goal attempt blocked by the 49ers but kicked a game-winning 29-yarder on the next to last play, earning a game ball. Against the Rams he connected from 21, 37, 30, 26 and 37 yards. "Even if I do fade into oblivion, they can never take these two games away from me," Mazzetti says.

Nick Lowery was waiting on tables at The Bull's Eye Restaurant and Tavern in Hanover, N.H. when he heard about the Patriots' kicking problems. (In one game, New England had to use its second punter of the year, Jerrel Wilson, as a placekicker; perhaps predictably, Wilson had an extra-point attempt blocked.) Lowery, who had kicked for Dartmouth and was cut by the Jets in August, borrowed a friend's car, drove to Foxboro and asked for a tryout. The holders had all gone home, so Coach Chuck Fairbanks held the ball for Lowery. He got the job. So far, a wonderful story. But after two games, with Lowery 7 for 7 on extra points and 0 for 1 on field-goal attempts, the Patriots dropped him because of his short kickoffs. His replacement was David Posey, late of the 49ers, Falcons and Lions and almost of Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith. Posey canceled a job interview with the brokerage firm to answer his true calling.

Szaro, a Harvard graduate, was New Orleans' regular kicker at the beginning of the season, but when he pulled a groin muscle the Saints summoned Leypoldt. After two games, for which he was paid $3,000 apiece, Leypoldt, who had been 4 for 5 on extra points and 2 for 3 on field-goal attempts, was told by Nolan that he "hadn't worked out." The next contestant was Steve Mike-Mayer, but on the Thursday before his first game as a Saint, Mike-Mayer pulled a back muscle. Nolan had to use Running Back Tony Galbreath for one point-after attempt, but Galbreath missed so badly that he didn't get a second chance. So Szaro, who couldn't swing his regular kicking foot, the left, kicked with his right foot. He made a 20-yard field goal, but after the game he was placed on the injured reserve list. New Orleans later tried Tom Jurich, who had been cut by the Steelers, but he missed three field goals in his first game, against the 49ers. Exit Jurich. Enter Steve Mike-Mayer again.

Meanwhile, in West Seneca, Leypoldt sits at the counter of the Cue & Chalk, making change. "I'll be in somebody's camp next year," he says.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Great find, white is right! Funny stuff. I especially like the part where they said you can't coach soccer style kickers, there being just 22 in the league. 10 years later, there wouldn't be hardly any straight on kickers left in the league.

Kaptain

Master
Kicking is kinda like most individual sports that you see whites dominating. There is no place to hide and no room for any coaching subjectivity. Either you can make a certain percentage of kicks from a certain distance or you can't. That's why whites dominate at this position - there is no room for typical casting and sheer statisitical numbers will decided who has earned the spot. Baseball is another quasi-individual sport. Hence, we still see white domination in baseball despite the best efforts of the baseball establishment to recruit and develop everything non-white.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I would have to say pitching is in the same boat as kicking. A black can't just be a terrible pitcher on the mound and become a star like receivers in the NFL. You need excellent hand eye coordination, arm stregth, and brains to become a star pitcher. The fact that there are very few black pitchers proves that.

DixieDestroyer said:
The Cowboys QB Danny White also punted as I recall. I always wondered why their aren't more "duel-role" kickers+punters in the NFL. I know there's different techniques, but both require leg strength/snap, etc.

Vikings backup QB Bob Lee was also the punter for several seasons in the 70s. It would be interesting to see someone handling both punts and placekicking, and it would free up a roster spot.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Doug Flutie could kick as well, and i believe he is the last person in the NFL to perform a drop kick ... but i could be mistaken on that point. i know he always bugged his NFL coaches to let him try one, anyway.