Week 2 2009

dwid

Hall of Famer
Ankiel said:
dwid said:
I dont think anyone would mistake the colts defense as good, they have a decent pass rusher and an overrated bob sanders who is always injured.
<div> </div>
<div>I'd venture to guess the rest of the league might consider their defense as being good in light of their consistent, year-over-year proficiency in denying yards and points in comparison to their contemporaries.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>
<div>2009 - 1st in Fewest PPG Allowed</div>
<div>2008 - 7th</div>
<div>2007 - 1st</div>
<div>2006 - 23rd</div>
<div>2005 - 2nd</div>
<div> </div>
<div>2009 - 6th in Fewest Yards Allowed</div>
<div>2008 - 11th</div>
<div>2007 - 3rd</div>
<div>2006 - 21st</div>
<div>2005 - 11th</div>
<div> </div>
<div>One bad year since '05 = a substandard defense?</div></div>

first of all, I dont see how you can judge them by one game this year, the only reason why they are listed as FIRST in points per game THIS WEEK, is because those stats are not updated, they list all the other teams playing their SECOND game, and the Colts were not updated because they were playing TONIGHT. The Broncos, Steelers, Falcons, Jets, Eagles, Seahawks all held their opponents to less points in week 1. I dont know where they would rank after this week, after it gets updated.

You can't deny that the Colts defense has constantly underachieved. Yes they have been good at times but horrible at others. How many times do they let the Jaguars hang more than 20 points on them? That offense is horrible. They disappear in certain games. Your stats even prove they disappear for an entire season. Yes they are a substandard defense, you can't honestly believe that teams are afraid of facing the Colts DEFENSE, unless they have some sumo left tackle that can hardly move. I admitted they have a good pass rush, but that is about it. They are extremely lucky to have Peyton Manning and the offense he runs because of the way he can put points on the board. He forces teams to be one dimensional and abandon the run, which benefits the defense who can go into pass rush mode. The offense helps the defense out tremendously. Not many teams have a quarterback who can run an offense like him. The other two off the top of my head would be Brady and the Patriots and Brees with the Saints. Does the defense have talent? yes I won't deny that, but they are underachievers.

Tonight's performance, (even though it was a win) proves that they are underachievers. If Ted Ginn doesn't drop that pass they lose. The defense played horrible tonight, missing tackles left and right. The announcers were trying to blame it on the "wildcat", but they were just horrible, they were getting killed with the Dolphins running up the gut. They were on the field most of the game. Not many teams would have overcame that pathetic performance by the defense. Even Payton Manning said he is used to being on the bench for extremely long periods of time while the defense is out there when asked how did he get into a rhythm with being on the bench so long. (implying that the defense has been pathetic in the past)

If you want to say that a majority black defense is good, there are better ones to choose from.Edited by: dwid

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Ankiel said:
dwid said:
I dont think anyone would mistake the colts defense as good, they have a decent pass rusher and an overrated bob sanders who is always injured.
<div> </div>
<div>I'd venture to guess the rest of the league might consider their defense as being good in light of their consistent, year-over-year proficiency in denying yards and points in comparison to their contemporaries.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>
<div>2008 - 7th</div>
<div>2007 - 1st</div>
<div>2006 - 23rd</div>
<div>2005 - 2nd</div>
<div> </div>
<div>2008 - 11th</div>
<div>2007 - 3rd</div>
<div>2006 - 21st</div>
<div>2005 - 11th</div>
<div> </div>

Stats can be telling sometimes, but I think it's fair to say that (in this particular synopsis) the Colts defense has let them down in important games by being run all over many times before. A big rushing game (by the opponent) won't hurt the Colt's defensive stats as much as a big passing game would. And look at their division rivals. The Jags offense has been a game managing one with mediocre game manager Gerard at the helm. The Texans and Titans have struggled to put many points on the board in recent years and usually had porous running games until recently (rush defense was the Colt's Achilles heal when I watched them play.)

I have a hunch Blacksimus=Texas Tech might be back. I hope I'm wrong.

Blacksimus?

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
On the ESPN show after MNF, Cris Carter was ripping Tom Brady a new one - while saying Wes Welker was the best receiver in the game!!

Pollyanna

Guru
I like the Gruden/Jaws combo. Last nights game was not bad in terms of commentary. That said, the announcers were a bit lack luster with regard to praising Clark. Had the 7 receptions for 187 been accomplished by a negro, I dare say they would not have stopped talking about him. As it was, there made a comment or two, nothing more.
Edited by: Pollyanna

White Shogun said:
On the ESPN show after MNF, Cris Carter was ripping Tom Brady a new one - while saying Wes Welker was the best receiver in the game!!
That's great. Did he say anything else about him, such as citing his quickness?

backrow

Hall of Famer
i agree, there wasn't enough talk of Clark's amazing game. Gruden is ok as long as he doesn't get a man crush on any of the "good looking athletes" out there.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
How do you determine a black defense in the NFL? What's the most white players on ANY teams defense 2? All NFL defenses are black so whoever the best and worst ones are they will be black.

dwid

Hall of Famer
ToughJ.Riggins said:
Ankiel said:
dwid said:
<div> </div>
<div> </div>
<div>
<div>2008 - 7th</div>
<div>2007 - 1st</div>
<div>2006 - 23rd</div>
<div>2005 - 2nd</div>
<div> </div>
<div>2008 - 11th</div>
<div>2007 - 3rd</div>
<div>2006 - 21st</div>
<div>2005 - 11th</div>
<div> </div>

Stats can be telling sometimes, but I think it's fair to say that (in this particular synopsis) the Colts defense has let them down in important games by being run all over many times before. A big rushing game (by the opponent) won't hurt the Colt's defensive stats as much as a big passing game would. And look at their division rivals. The Jags offense has been a game managing one with mediocre game manager Gerard at the helm. The Texans and Titans have struggled to put many points on the board in recent years and usually had porous running games until recently (rush defense was the Colt's Achilles heal when I watched them play.)

I have a hunch Blacksimus=Texas Tech might be back. I hope I'm wrong.

Blacksimus?
I don't think stats are that telling, I guess like you said, in some situations. The problem with stats is that is how most fans get their knowledge, they watch highlights that espn provides and go to online to see the stats and base their opinions without realizing the full picture. This guy didn't even realize the Colts were ranked first for this year simply because every team besides the the Dolphins and Colts had played their second week game which was updated onto the stats and the Colts hadn't yet because of the Monday Night football game.

They see "oh the saints oline only gave up 13 sacks last year, their left tackle must be on a pro bowl level" Except Brees is constantly getting pressured and having 1 or 2 seconds to throw, but simply is very fast at making his reads and has a very quick release" Jammal Brown was voted as a Pro Bowl alternate and wound up going, 1/3 fan vote had something to do with this.

Or maybe a White fullback/halfback in previous years only averages 3 ypc, dwfs think "he must suck" If you watch the game and see he that he only got the ball in goal line/short yardage situations, or garbage time carries to run out the clock you can see that that guy did well given the situation. All of these lower your yards per carry because the opposing defense is stacking the box to stop the run.
Edited by: dwid

backrow

Hall of Famer
Bucs have 3 white starters. Bills have 4 (when Poz is healthy). Rams have 4. geez, it's pretty sad when 5 would be a wet dream...

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Ankeil, anyone who watched the Pats play during the pre-season (which I did) and during the first 2 regular season games (which I did) would know exactly what I'm talking about. As for the Colts, please, that sad sack of "undersized, speed guys" have prevented Peyton Manning from winning for years. Even the jock-huffers in the media frequently concede this point.

I didnt say the Pats got torched for hundreds of yards and TD's by Sanchez....but anyone watching the game saw that a rookie QB made throws whenever it actually mattered (3rd downs).

But by all means, continue to throw out statistics for the 1st week of the 2009 season....maybe you can make it your 10th overall post after joining "our cause" about a month ago.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Pollyanna said:
I like the Gruden/Jaws combo. Last nights game was not bad in terms of commentary. That said, the announcers were a bit lack luster with regard to praising Clark. Had the 7 receptions for 187 been accomplished by a negro, I dare say they would not have stopped talking about him. As it was, there made a comment or two, nothing more.

Good analysis. I was thinking the same thing, not much gratutitous Caste-speak during the broadcast.

I thought Clark got fair praise and it was not overdone. They showed the replay of the big catch about 6 times during the game, and I had ESPN on for about 2 hours after the game. They showed that catch, and two of his other big catches probably about 75 times total in those two hours. At one point, they showed it in their top ten, and literally 90 seconds after that in a recap of the game, which they recapped numerous times every hour. Then they would go back to the game crew, and they would show it again. Anyone at a sports bar who stayed til close could not have missed the catch. It's probably been played on various networks over thousands of times by this point. That was a true joy to see.

Also, after the big TD, Gruden actually said Clark is "a hybrid tight end. He's more of a WIDE RECEIVER." And on a recap on another long gainer in the 4th quarter, I heard an ESPN guy say "look at his gazelle like strides." !!!!!
smiley32.gif
I heard numerous people say he "beat" the other defenders. I even heard the term "speed" thrown in there a couple times.

I think this must have been the most praise a white athlete has gotten for athleticism in a long time! Was yesterday an official caste speech holiday or something? Lol.Edited by: Electric Slide

backrow

Hall of Famer
i missed it all! but Clark really is deceptively fast, hahaha, he doesn't look like he can be as fast as he is. the way he runs, maybe, i am not sure what it is.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Fightingtowin said:
White Shogun said:
That's great. Did he say anything else about him, such as citing his quickness?

He said that no matter how good Edelman plays, they can't replace Welker, who is Brady's best weapon on the offense. High praise, indeed, considering the team also has Randy Moss.

backrow

Hall of Famer
the only thing that Julian didn't show, that obviously Wes shares with Brady is the timing. and even that was slightly shaky in the first game of the season as Tom was shaking off some rust and WW was playing with barely any practice in 2 weeks previous.

do we dare to dream about both Welker and Edelman on the field at the same time?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Right now, there are 5 whites in the Top 20 in receiving yardage in the NFL. Perhaps more surprising is the fact that 4 of them are Tight Ends.

<t></t><table cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><t><tr align="right"><td style="width: 20px;" align="left">RK</td><td align="left">PLAYER</td><td align="left">TEAM</td><td>REC</td><td>YDS</td><td>AVG</td><td>LONG</td><td>TD</td><td>YDS/G</td><td>FUM</td></tr></t></table>
<t></t><table cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><t><tr align="right"><td align="left">1</td><td align="left">Dallas Clark, TE</td><td align="left">IND</td><td>11</td><td>222</td><td>20.2</td><td>80</td><td>1</td><td>111.0</td><td>0</td></tr></t></table><t></t><table cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><t><tr align="right"><td align="left">15</td><td align="left">Brandon Stokley, WR</td><td align="left">DEN</td><td>6</td><td>157</td><td>26.2</td><td>87</td><td>1</td><td>78.5</td><td>0</td></tr></t></table><t></t><table cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><t><tr align="right"><td align="left">18</td><td align="left">Chris Cooley, TE</td><td align="left">WAS</td><td>14</td><td>151</td><td>10.8</td><td>18</td><td>1</td><td>75.5</td><td>1</td></tr></t></table><t></t><table cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><t><tr align="right"><td align="left">20</td><td align="left">Brent Celek, TE</td><td align="left">PHI</td><td>14</td><td>141</td><td>10.1</td><td>26</td><td>1</td><td>70.5</td><td>0</td></tr><tr align="right"><td align="left">20
</td><td align="left">John Carlson, TE</td><td align="left">SEA</td><td>12</td><td>141</td><td>11.8</td><td>38</td><td>2</td><td>70.5</td><td>0</td></tr></t></table>

Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Ankiel said:
dwid said:
<div></div>
<div>I'd venture to guess the rest of the leaguemightconsider their defense as being good in light of their consistent, year-over-year proficiency in denying yards and points in comparison to their contemporaries.</div>
<div></div>
<div>
<div>2008 - 7th</div>
<div>2007 - 1st</div>
<div>2006 -23rd</div>
<div>2005 - 2nd</div>
<div></div>
<div>2008 - 11th</div>
<div>2007 - 3rd</div>
<div>2006 - 21st</div>
<div>2005 - 11th</div>
<div></div>
Hey man, I hear ya, there is no talking sense into some of the guys on here. They don't like black players, period. I've tried to be rational in the past (promoting and cheering for white players but still promoting good black players) but this place just doesn't want to hear it most of the time.

About the only reasonable guy on here that I've seen post is ToughJRiggins.
Edited by: Manifest Destiny

backrow

Hall of Famer
while there's a lot of reasonable guys here, at the same time (and i do believe in giving the credit where it's due) we already have ALL the media cherishing black players, deservedly at times, but often undeservedly, and not giving the same treatment to white players. i would be happy with fair, we don't need priviledged but 90% of times can't even get that.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Manifest Destiny,

Go to one of the black sites and then come back here and share with us some posts of theirs that are praising White athletes (be it in football, baseball, basketball, shot put, javelin, high jump, powerlifting, strongman, billiards, rugby, soccer, boxing, etc).

Deadlift said:
Manifest Destiny,

Go to one of the black sites and then come back here and share with us some posts of theirs that are praising White athletes (be it in football, baseball, basketball, shot put, javelin, high jump, powerlifting, strongman, billiards, rugby, soccer, boxing, etc).
EDIT: Forget it.
Edited by: Manifest Destiny

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Manifest Destiny said:
As for the Colts defense, anyone looking at those stats can clearly see that besides one year, Indy has been pretty good overall. There is nothing misleading about them, people just don't want to admit that an all-black (or virtually all black) defense can be good or better than one with a substantial number of white players. I'll be honest, I'll tell it like I see it, regardless of whether I'm on Caste Football or some random football message board or talking to some fellow football fans.

It's ironic that us whites now have to resort to the same tactics that blacks have used for years to rationalize being racists themselves - "oh, it's just the white man keeping me down, they hate me and won't let me succeed, but if you challenge me I'll claim that you are a racist". So now we're the "oppressed" ones and we should just do the same thing? Screw that, I want to fight this caste by showing that we are educated and fair and want what's best for all players, while still exposing the lies that the NFL is completely fair to white players for skill positions. We can't do that with the racism that is rampant (sorry, it's true) on these forums.

There are no defenses in the NFL with a "substantial number" of white players. A recurring topic here has been which was the last team to field a majority of white starters on defense. We have some very knowledgeable football fans here and to the best of my knowledge there has been no consensus as to when it was. Probably but not necessarily the Dolphins of the mid-'80s.

Look, if you're not comfortable with this site, leave. It's pretty simple. Everyone here is different. We've had people like you before that seem to take it to be their mission to police the site and have everyone post in a way thatthe crusaderdeems the correct way, which usually turns out to be a form of ESPN Lite.

Ankiel is a troll who has posted here under numerous user names. You may be a troll or you may be an idealist or purist of some kind, but I can assure you Caste Football is not going to be re-engineered to suit your tastes. This site is for those who want to get away from thepredictable and suffocatingconformity of sports "reporting" in this country, not be told that we have to be "less offensive" so that no DWFs or blacks or media types willdislike what they find here.Edited by: Don Wassall

dwid

Hall of Famer
Manifest Destiny said:
Ankiel said:
dwid said:
<div> </div>
<div> </div>
<div>
<div>2008 - 7th</div>
<div>2007 - 1st</div>
<div>2006 - 23rd</div>
<div>2005 - 2nd</div>
<div> </div>
<div>2008 - 11th</div>
<div>2007 - 3rd</div>
<div>2006 - 21st</div>
<div>2005 - 11th</div>
<div> </div>
Hey man, I hear ya, there is no talking sense into some of the guys on here. They don't like black players, period. I've tried to be rational in the past (promoting and cheering for white players but still promoting good black players) but this place just doesn't want to hear it most of the time.About the only reasonable guy on here that I've seen post is ToughJRiggins.
and i responded with a reasonable answer saying why I don't think the Colts defense is that good. I guess thinking that a defense that happens to be majority black is not good is just me "not liking black players". I told him if he wanted to praise a majority black defense there are better in the league to choose from. I guess he doesn't want to respond. He'd rather use a different account name to bump his own post with the stats without responding to any of the points I posted.

I even gave props to the pass rush (meaning Freeney) , but since I like White players, I guess I have to applaud mediocre black players as well to look reasonable. When a black player plays well I won't deny it if I am asked, but I am not going to sit on here and praise them. They get praise on every other football fan forum, and on tv as well. To me, this forum is more about giving credit to good players that get no respect.

That being said, the Colts defense is simply not that good and I have already posted several reasons why in my other posts. I guess I am not allowed to put down black players who aren't good, even though on other forums white players are put down all the time, even if they do perform well.

You are acting like I am putting down the Colts defense only because they are black. I am putting them down because in my opinion they are not good and there are probably players out there that are better who never got to see a chance to play.

The league is majority black so there is a good chance that there will be more mediocre black players than Whites. Combine that with the fact that White players usually have to play on a high level just to keep a starting job then the chances of a white starter that sucks or is mediocre is rare. For example, pretty much every starting White DE has played on a pro bowl level.

they were number 1 this year BECAUSE they played on monday night , the stats were updated for the second week after most of the teams played on SUNDAY. He got the stats before the Colts played their second game, there were other teams that held their opponents to less points in the first week.

When I made my post of why I didn't think they were that good, I thought it was well thought out with valid points. This guy makes one post, takes 5 minutes to dig up some stats off of nfl.com without even bothering to break down anything about them or why he thinks they are good (except for the stats he found) and then he never responds to what I posted. Yes, I am the one who is unreasonable. So just keep bumping the post on the stats that don't show the entire picture. Edited by: dwid

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
I missed the game last night (hit the sack early). However, I was excited to see Clark's big game (saw the hightlights at the gym this AM).
smiley32.gif
I was unhappy to see Collie only get one reception.
smiley5.gif

PhillyBirds

Mentor
dwid said:
I even gave props to the pass rush (meaning Freeney) , but since I like White players, I guess I have to applaud mediocre black players as well to look reasonable. When a black player plays well I won't deny it if I am asked, but I am not going to sit on here and praise them. They get praise on every other football fan forum, and on tv as well. To me, this forum is more about giving credit to good players that get no respect.

That sums it up pretty well.

I suppose I'd fall into the "moderate" camp here at CF, but dwid makes an undeniable point. It would be ridiculous to say that there are no good black players in the NFL, and I don't think anyone is saying that. It just happens that the sports media manufactures flat-out falsehoods about some black athletes to make them seem more capable than they might otherwise appear to anyone just watching on TV.

You could count on one hand the number of white non-quarterbacks that receive consensus positive praise from the sports media. however, there are so many more white players that receive little or no praise, or unwarranted negative backlash (Sabby Piscitelli, anyone?).

Stop trying to push black athletes on us. There are many capable and downright impressive players, OK, but that's not what we're here to discuss. We're here to talk about the quarterback from Kent State who led his team in receiving, or the undrafted free agent from Texas Tech who tied for the league lead in receptions last year after bouncing around the NFL. Just because people ignore the exploits of black players at Caste Football doesn't make them "racists".

The media has been ignoring white players for years. Are they racists?