Watch list

white lightning

Hall of Famer
With a p.b. of 20.41 as a19 year oldin the 200 meters, Robert Herring is a young sprinter to keep an eye on. He battled injuries all last year and it showed in a very poor season. He is healthy again and ready to get his career back headed in the right direction. This kid has so much natural talent. He is built similar to Lemaitre and Guliyev and Robert can really run. Good luck to him in 2011.

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&sl=de&u=www.leichtathletik.de/index.php%3FNavID%3D1%26SiteID%3D28%26NewsID%3D30537&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dgerman%2Bathletics%26hl%3Den&rurl=translate.google.com&usg=ALkJrhjWkw1oZtcJzR47zT80vg_gI0LZ2A

Edited by: white lightning

trackster

Mentor
The female LeMaitre?????

Well, she's young, but Hannah Cunliffe is the fastest sprinter in the world in her age group. Absolutely amazing. Two links on the 14-yr-old phenom. The first is a YouTube compilation. Watch the way she blows away here U.S. national competition, especially in the 200, where she absolutely embarrasses everyone else:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMy7cgvav84
The second is an article about her in the Seattle Times. Her younger brother, by the way, long jumped over 16 ft at the age of 10:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/othersports/2014048931_girlsprinter27.html
The latter article comes with a different video, also worth watching.

trackster

Mentor
And another note on a youngster we've been watching. High school superstar Lukas Verzbicas has opted for track over triathloning, and he'll be attending the University of Oregon.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Thank you trackster. You just made my day. This is great news. What a beautiful family. This girl has so much talent. If only the brother would stick with track as well. I would love to see what some of the rest of them can do to. She looks so much older than her age. What a beautiful girl and a exceptional, once in a life time type athlete. We will have to create a seperate thread for her. She could be the female Lemaitre. What a great story! I'm so excited!

As for Lukas Verzbicas. This is fantastic news as well. Great finds trackster. Keep up the good work.

white is right

Hall of Famer
trackster said:
The female LeMaitre?????Well, she's young, but Hannah Cunliffe is the fastest sprinter in the world in her age group.  Absolutely amazing.  Two links on the 14-yr-old phenom.  The first is a YouTube compilation.  Watch the way she blows away here U.S. national competition, especially in the 200, where she absolutely embarrasses everyone else:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMy7cgvav84The second is an article about her in the Seattle Times.  Her younger brother, by the way, long jumped over 16 ft at the age of 10:http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/othersports/2014048931_girlsprinter27.htmlThe latter article comes with a different video, also worth watching. 
I love the part of the story where as a 4 year old she beat her sister in a 40 yard dash and the sister was 4 years older and was the champ of her grammar school....
smiley36.gif
smiley32.gif
She might be another Sandra Meyers....
smiley32.gif

Observer

Mentor
Trackster, thanks, you have made many great posts, but I think this one is the most exciting from the perspective of what it might mean to the self-perception of white girls in this country. Just a great article, beautiful family, beautiful girl. The picture where she's bouncing over the hurdle, pony tail flying, modestly dressed -- an iconic image of European young womanhood.

Observer

Mentor
But I noticed something. The sprinters in that training group have too much cross-over in their arm swing, in my opinion.

mastermulti

Master
thanks from me too Trackster -

what a talent she is. I can imagine the mostly all black crowd shaking their heads in disbelief when she won that 200 on her own.
Very glad to see she can run a g00d 200 too. Means she's unlikely to tie up in the 100 from fatigue and her confident single mindedness probably counts for the same if the race is tight.

I really hope she goes on with it.

Our fastest 14 year old was a girl named Debbie Wells from regional NSW in the 70's. She ran 11.3 handtimed and was selected for the Com Games but faded off the scene by the time she was 16 or 17. Just lost interest.

trackster

Mentor
I'm glad WL posted the article about the Norway, Sweden, Finland three-way match, as I probably never would have found Johan Rogestedt's incredible result any other way. I doubt many people remember, but a couple of years ago, aged 16, Rogestedt blew past the Kenyans to win the world youth championship at the 800. He was hurt a lot last year, but still managed to reel off a 3:49 indoor 1500 which was enough for me to put him on this watch list. Well, yesterday, even though he's still a junior, he got to pull a Lukas Verzbicas and run with the grown ups, and he ran an astonishing 3:46!!!! Indoors! To put that in perspective, go to Milesplit and look up the best 1500s run indoors by American kids his age. The absolute best, by a 14 second margin, is by Cheserek (an African ex-patriate) at 3:58. The second best is 4:12--for the entire USA. So Rogestedt's 3:46 is 12 seconds faster than the best in the USA and 24 faster than the second best!!! Of course, Lukas Verzbicas has yet to run the 1500 yet this indoor season, but he's the only guy that would get close.

trackster

Mentor
Also, props to tiny Aisling Cuffe (also on the list, I believe) for winning the US Cross Country junior champs yesterday.

trackster

Mentor
Guys, I believe we have a new name to watch. Running a four-minute mile? Impressive, but not good enough to win a gold. Running a four minute mile indoors? Much more impressive, but still there are plenty of Kenyans who can pull that off. Running a 4 minute mile all by yourself with absolutely no competitor with you for even one step of the race? Actually, that's pretty kickass. Running a 4 minute mile at nearly 5,000 ft altitude? Now we're talking. But how many people can run a 4-minute mile INDOORS at 4800 FT ALTITUDE with ABSOLUTELY NO COMPETITION TO PUSH HIM, NOT EVEN A RABBIT? Well, that's what Patrick Casey of Montana State just did. It's the single most impressive mid-distance race run by anyone in the world this year. Here's the video:

http://www.flotrack.org/speaker/6887-Patrick-Casey/video/452249-Patrick-Casey-359-mile-at-4800-Feet-Altitude

white lightning

Hall of Famer
That is an incredible perfomance. Maybe he will go on to become a better talent than Allan Webb. It's frustrating seeing Webb have such an up and down career. I had such high hopes for him coming out of high school. Did you see the guy who won the mile at the New Balance? He is only 24 and he ran a 3.58 mile. Edited by: white lightning

trackster

Mentor

Observer

Mentor
A feature article on the website built on these great links that trackster keeps finding for us would be pretty cool.

Observer

Mentor
trackster said:
The other name we should start paying attention to is Russell Brown, the guy who smoked Willis and Webb (though Webb was out of shape) Saturday.  He's had calf injuries for years, but apparently he's been hiding serious talent behind those injuries.  There are lots of articles about him nowadays.  Here's one:http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Boston+mile+champ%3A+Hanover+High+grad+has+%27best+race%27+of+career&articleId=05514c5a-4602-46af-a565-b19e7b1042c3
article said:
Brown set a national indoor record in the 800 meters during his senior year in 2003. A few months later he won the 400, 800, 1,600 and 3,200 at the Meet of Champions, after which then-Fall Mountain of Langdon coach Rick Elliott said, "Russell Brown is probably the greatest runner I'll ever see in my lifetime."Â

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Great find. The long jump is really becoming an event that I enjoy watching more and more. This kid is amazing. He has good form but I love how much energy he uses in mid air to help propel himself even further into the pit. He is speical.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Keep an eye on Christina Vukicevic. She and her brother are both world class hurdlers. She just set a new Norwegian Nat'l Record. She is as beautfiul as she is talented too.

59307_full-lnd.jpg

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Here is another pic for your viewing pleasure. She is so talented.

christina-vukicevic-hurdle.jpg