Watch list

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
The Korean mentioned above Kim Gook-young, is the 3rd fastest junior competing in the 100m at the World Jr. Championships this week.
Asia has some of the top guys in all of the sprints.
Shota Iizuka, of Japan has the fastest time of all competitors in the 200m, 20.58.
And Bong-go Park of Korea, has the 3rd fastest 400m time coming into the championships, 45.63.
There are no Europeans in the mix unfortunately.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I agree with you guys. The Asians are putting up some very fast times. There are a few guys to watch out for though that are European.
Julien Watrin has a p.b. of 10.39 and that is ranked #4 in Europe and #9in the world. He also competes in the 200 and the 4 x 100 Relay Team.

Kieran Showler Davis has the fastest time in all of Europe in the 200 at 20.75! Keep an eye out for this kid as well.
Edited by: white lightning

trackster

Mentor
With the IAAF World Juniors coming up this week, I thought it might be a good time to peruse the lists for youths, juniors, and u-23s. In general, European athletes seem to show up best on junior and u-23 lists, and not so well on the youth lists, where they can't compete with the peoples who undergo puberty before they turn 10. So, hopefully, the youth picture isn't as grim as it appears.

Youths of note:
100 and 200--none whatsoever, although a lot of US high schoolers that we've read about are conspicuously absent from these world lists. Perhaps their times haven't been submitted or accepted.
400--Nikita Uglov--Rus--born 10/11/93, yet has run 46.6
800--Zan Rudolf (born 93), SLO, 1:49.47, and Mark English (93--IRE), 1:49.71
1500--Richard Goodman--GBR--3:45.77 (born 93)
Robert Denault (born 93)--3:45.87.

Haven't seen pictures of any of above.

Juniors--under age 20--the picture gets more promising.
100--still weak, only Grzsegorz Zimniewz--POL--(born 91)--10.37, slightly ahead of Watrin, but both are way behind the top flight. But remember, LeMaitre is just a month too old for this category, or he would be the easy #1.
200--Kieran Showler-Davis--(born 91)--20.75--a legit contender with that time. Extremely impressive for his age.
Aliaksandre Linnik--BLR--(born 91)--20.91.
400--There are two Europeans currently ahead of our man Gehret:
Marcell Deak Nagy--(born 92)--46.03
Marco Kaiser (born 91)--46.30
800--Finally! The future looks very bright here, as we dominate with the familiar names Robbie Andrews and Cax Loxsom, as well as Britain's Niall Brooks and Australia's Alex Rowe. The 800 seems to be a sweet spot (with 400 second best). Rogestedt has been hurt all year.
1500--Really only Britain's Niall Brooks (3:38:62)

If we go up to u-23, the names are more familiar, so I'll leave them off. Some barely-mentioned ones we should keep our eyes on:
400--Vladimir Krasnov--45.12 (sandwiched between the Borlees)
800--Jakub Holusa--1:45.56 CZE adn Adam Kszczot (POL) 1:45.74. Again, the 800 looks strong.

I don't know if there are any good articles, sites, photos of most of these guys.

Of course, we can only hope that some no-names soon pop up and do something great as well.

freedom1

Mentor
Would love to see a big breakthrough by Kim Gook-young. Getting the Asians in the mix helps destroy the caste system.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
freedom1, i couldn't give two craps about the asians. nothing a non-White person does helps the White athlete. nothing. so let the asians be proud of their guys (as they rightfully are), and let us White folks be proud of ours.
trackster, i notice you didn't mention our young hurdlers. we have some of the top in the world in the 110-meters, although i don't know much about the 400-meter hurdles. also, i'm curious ... are the numbers relatively the same with the young White girl sprinters? historically, White females have been more successful than their male peers.

trackster

Mentor
Hi, Jimmy,

Yeah, I wasn't really being complete, as I never have really watched the hurdlers. I do watch the women's races (oh, those beautiful sinewy creatures), but I didn't look over the women's lists. Something about seeing the Laura Roeslers of the world just makes me sigh and remember that I'll never be young enough to date someone like that ever again...a fellow kind of loses focus.

freedom1

Mentor
I totally disagree Jimmy. An Asian winning a sprint breaks the stereotype of the black superman. I'll root for the whites over all of them, but I'll root for the Asians over the blacks. I'm a big time sports fan who is burnt out on the blacks specifically. I rooted for Roberto Duran to beat Sugar Ray Leonard. I hope the Pacman beats Mayweather. I want to see the current system/hierarchy broken.

white is right

Hall of Famer
South Africa seems to be run by bureaucratic bunglers. On other threads it's been mentioned that leftists tried to hijack sports governing bodies and make quota systems for sports teams. This could be in that vein.
smiley5.gif

white is right

Hall of Famer
By the way nobody has mentioned Andrea Geubelle she is representing the US in the long jump and is probably among the favorites to medal in Moncton.

trackster

Mentor
There was a diamond league match in Stockholm. Two interesting results:

1) the 5000m, where Chris Solinsky ran the second fastest time ever by an American. That's the second time this year he broke below 13 minutes. He's so close to the US record, and is getting close to competitive to the top Kenyans (he beat about twenty Kenyans today, but still finished fourth, even with his great time).

2) the 800 was supposed to be a record attempt by Kaki, but he dropped out at 600m and drifted right in front of Andrew Wheating, ruining Wheating's race. On the upside, Euro champ Lewandowski ran a great race and won. He's becoming one to watch.

greyghost

Mentor
yo the S.A federation are well known as bunglers, mone nagel while at his peak had more than his fair share of crap to deal with from hius fedeation, and very little real support outside of bloemfontain. if only he had decided to declare for holland ,the land of his forefathers
smiley20.gif

albinosprint

Mentor
trackster said:
There was a diamond league match in Stockholm.  Two interesting results:1) the 5000m, where Chris Solinsky ran the second fastest time ever by an American.  That's the second time this year he broke below 13 minutes.  He's so close to the US record, and is getting close to competitive to the top Kenyans (he beat about twenty Kenyans today, but still finished fourth, even with his great time).2) the 800 was supposed to be a record attempt by Kaki, but he dropped out at 600m and drifted right in front of Andrew Wheating, ruining Wheating's race.  On the upside, Euro champ Lewandowski ran a great race and won.  He's becoming one to watch.

how about that fine looking 19 year old Russian girl winning the long jump?

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Sally Pearson of Australia won the 100 hurdles today in Stockholm in a time of 12.57 seconds. That is flying. So happy to see her back on top. This is her married name for those who don't remember. She used to be known as Sally McClellan.

albinosprint

Mentor
that's great! I passed out before the 100h final, but when I saw the heats I was wondering if that was Sally McClellan.

trackster

Mentor
Not a lot of runners at Rieti today other than LeMaitre smokin those two sub-10's. However, Nick Symmonds and Marcin Lewandowski both got dragged along to excellent times in the 800. Symmonds, 1:43.76, and Lewandowski, 1:44.10.

Looking forward to the video, if anyone finds it.

trackster

Mentor
Solinsky ran a personal best 7:34 in the 3000, but it wasn't good enough and the "American" Lagat (Kenyan who occasionally trains in the US and got citizenship here) ran 7:29 for an "American" record.

The thing about Rieti is that it is either famous or notorious (depending on your point of view) for its fast times. The track isn't too short, but it is well known that the wind blows down the home stretch at the runner's back (notice the nice wind aid 1.0 in the 100m) but the same wind is blocked on the back stretch, providing a huge boost in any race longer than the 200.

I think Solinsky could have had the AR if he hadn't already put in so many amazing times this summer. Lagat's legs were fresh for Rieti after a lackluster season. Also, 3000 is a short race for Solinsky, whose great times have been at 5000 and 10000.

trackster

Mentor
Two of our young stars to watch just completed epic cross country seasons. Lukas Verzbicas, who runs only the odd meet here and there because he prefers triathlons, just completed a rare sweep of both national cross country championships (Nike and Footlocker). He won by a huge margin and was also one of the few individuals to finish the course in less than fifteen minutes. He did this despite slowing to a jog in the last 100 yards, waving cheerily to the crowd, then stopping and walking before the finish line to snatch the tape triathlon-style:<a href="http://%20www.milesplit.com/meets/74379/videos?id=14003" target="_blank">
http://www.milesplit.com/meets/74379/videos?id=14003</a>

On the girls side, little Aisling Cuffe completed her incredibly dominant senior season, one in which she set numerous course records, with an easy victory. She'll be running for Stanford next year.

Here are the articles on both:
http://www.milesplit.com/articles/56853
http://www.milesplit.com/articles/56862

white lightning

Hall of Famer
On December 12th, 2010, Felix Goltl opened up his indoor season with a new p.b. in the 60 of 6.80! He won rather easily so he is off to a good start. He is only 20 and has an outdoor p.b. of 10.32 from last year. He also runs the 200 meters. I'm hoping he can get his times down in the 6'60's to low 6.70's this winter. That would really help him outdoors as he is a strong finisher.

Christian Blum signed a contract with Nike and he will be training along side Sebastian Ernst and Julien Reuss. This might be the change he needs to get back on track.