Wariner is back and may threaten 43.19!

G

Wariner just lost to LaShawn Merritt at the first Golden League event in Berlin 44.03 to 44.07.

I wonder if Jeremy will pull out of the rest of the meetsnow that he's out of the running for the $1 million bonus?

Poacher

Mentor
That stinks for Wariner. I doubt he pulls out of the rest of the meets though.

44.03 is almost a PB for Merritt, he may be peaking too soon.

albinosprint

Mentor
I just watched the race and it sort of looked like JW was taking it easy thinking merritt was going to fade and when he saw he wasn't he tried to catch him, but was to late. I really think he lost due to bad tactics.

JW needed that loss to keep him sharp. He was to the right of merritt and let him key off of him.
That is the only an early season mistake. however it can now work to his advantage because merritt will keep going and burn out before the olympics.

also, congratulations to kim collins who has the world lead for clean 100m times> 10.12

Poacher

Mentor
43.98...that's more like it. I'm still getting the impression that he is slower than last year though. 43.98 won't win the trials.

albinosprint

Mentor
thats a good bounce back from last meet. that should wim the trials no problem. the only person he has to worry about is merrit.

freedom1

Mentor
Yeah, it's good to lose sometimes, it keeps you sharp.

Below from article on Track and Field News:

American world and Olympic 400m champion Jeremy Wariner sent out a message to his rivals with a world lead run of 43.98sec in the one-lap event.

After suffering an upset second place to compatriot LaShawn Merritt in the first Golden League meet in Berlin last week, Wariner came back impressively, easily fending off Christopher Brown of the Bahamas down a fast final straight.

"Just because I lost last week, people were saying I couldn't bounce back," said Wariner. "But I had a great race. The 300 to 400m was the big difference compared to Berlin. The last 100m was so much better than last week.

"I ran my season's best last week but lost. I've come back and run the fastest this year.

"Just because I lost a race, don't count me out. It fuels my fire," the American warned. I really don't like to lose. I learn from it and get back on track and as of right now I'm back on top."

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I believe it is also the first time Wariner has went sub 44 before the US Nats. He makes running in the 43 second range as easy as MJ did. I do however belive that MJ was on peds. I hope I'm wrong but he was very average in college and didn't get his world records until an age will most have slowed down significantly. I will try to give MJ the benefit of the doubt but it wouldn't suprise me a bit.

Wariner will break the world record this year. It is just a matter of time as long as his health is good. Great race as he destroyed everyone over the last 100 meters. Long live the King Wariner!
smiley32.gif

Poacher

Mentor
Not sure how much it means but Merritt just took a dump in Pre-classic running a 44.65 (which was good enough for 1st place).

white lightning

Hall of Famer
That is funny. While it is still a good time, it is far from the caliber of races that Wariner is running week after week. There is a guy over at Trackshark.com that posts in the professional track forums. His handle name is Mr. Kool. and he makes non stop fun of Wariner. He is in love with Merritt and talks about him like he is the 2nd coming! He will get alot of smack down talk about his boys latest outing. Why does he hate Wariner? Gee, let me see if I can figure it out? Lol.

Wariner will win Olympic Gold and I really belive that the record will be his soon. It will just take the perfect race in the perfect conditions. He deserves it with all of the hard work he has put in. Wariner trains as hard as any sprinter in the world and he remains hungry. The ultimate goal has not been acheived yet!

G

He appears to be about as fast right now as he has been for the last 3 years. Last year I was thinking he could go 43.1 in Beijing but now I am not so sure.

With the new coach, I would be happy with another 43.4 performance and another gold medal.

albinosprint

Mentor
I'm predicting a 43.3X for JW in Beijing. I don't think he will break the record for another year or two. when you see him break 20 in the 200, he will break the 400 record.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Wariner envisions perfect finish in Beijing

By Mark Lamport-Stokes

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - It is the perfect scenario for Olympic and world champion Jeremy Wariner, a breathtaking image that he has contemplated countless times.

The date is August 21 and he is thundering toward the finish line of the men's 400 meters final at the Beijing Games, roared on by a capacity crowd of 91,000 in the Bird's Nest National Stadium.

Leaving his closest challengers trailing in his wake, the 24-year-old American retains the gold medal he won at the 2004 Athens Olympics by breaking the world record held by his manager and mentor Michael Johnson.

"I think about it all the time," said Wariner, who has dominated the 400 for the last four years. "I would love to break the record on the world's biggest stage, knowing millions of people are watching and that memories will be made.
ADVERTISEMENT

"A lot of people still talk about Michael's 200 in '96. If I break the world record in Beijing, I would want them to remember it in the same way."

Johnson, like Wariner a Texan, shattered his own world record for the 200 with a stunning time of 19.32 seconds at the 1996 Atlanta Games. That mark still stands.

His world 400 record of 43.18 was set at the 1999 world championships in Seville, Spain and it is a measure of the man that he has been doing his best over the last four years to help Wariner go faster.

RECORD SHOT

"The way Michael looks at it, he knows records are meant to be broken," Wariner told reporters before last month's Adidas Track Classic in Carson, California. "He wants the record to be broken.

"With my talent, the way I train and how dedicated I am in that training, he knows I can break it. He's told me: 'You can get it this year, next year or you can get it the year after. When that time comes, you will feel it while you are running.'

"If everything comes together in the right way and I run the perfect race, the shot will be there to break the record. I have the potential to do it and I have the heart to do it. I just have to put everything together at the right time."

Wariner, whose personal best was the 43.45 seconds he ran to retain his world title in Osaka last September, continues to seek advice from Johnson while being coached by Michael Ford, who this year replaced Clyde Hart as his trainer.

"Michael (Johnson) has never coached me," Wariner said of his mentor, who was known for his uniquely upright running style with very short steps. "He has just given me advice on what he sees in my race.

"He will talk to my coach about it and they will both agree on what I need to work on.

"They will then come to me and let me know what they both saw and we will go from there. Michael (Johnson) has meant a lot to me in my life, just being able to ask him questions on all sorts of different things."

NUMBER ONE

Perhaps the best advice Wariner has received from Johnson was to get into the minds of his rivals as an invincible runner.

"Michael has always told me that, when I run, I've got to put it out there that I am number one and no one is going to beat me," he said. "Just let them know that, on any given day, it's going to be hard to beat me.

"It's important for me to win all the way up to the Olympics because I've got to keep my focus up and confidence right there, knowing that I have been winning and I can keep doing it."

Wariner, who wears wrap-around sunglasses when he runs to block out any possible distractions, believes he and Johnson share a similar approach to the mechanics of the 400.

"A lot of people say I make the race look easy but, to me, Michael made the race look really easy," he said. "His stride wasn't that long but it was all about his speed and strength.

"Technically we both run the same race, although there are a few things different. He was able to run the first 200 a little faster than I am because his speed is a lot better than mine but my strength is better so my last 200 might be a little stronger."

(Editing by Clare Fallon)

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Wariner bounced back today beating Merritt by 1/100th of a second. He ran a 44.36 which is slow for him at this time of the year. I watched the race live on the internet and I must say that I'm dissapointed. He had around a 5 meter lead on Merritt and barely held on. It was a photo finish. Wariner has to work on his strategy but mostly he has to get his speed endurance back. In most of his races, he is all tied up coming down the stretch. You would think it is a 800 meter race. He still is the defending olympic and world champion but he won't be for long if he doesn't get his training sessions right.

Coach Hart who used to coach Wariner is now with Merritt. Yes you heard me right. Hart is coaching LaShawn Merritt currently. I hate to say it, but Wariner might get what he deserves. He should have never fired the greatest 400 meters coach in the history of the sport. I still want Wariner to win but it is not going to be easy. He just doesn't have that endurance and killer instinct that the world is used to seeing.

G

Yes, he deserves to lose in Beijing. He decided that a few thousand dollars were more important to him than anything else.

At least he didn't decide to stop running only 1 month before the Olympics. Like Andrew Rock, the idiot.

Poacher

Mentor
44.36? God, did he suddenly forget how to run the friggin' race? I still think he hasn't put in the necessary work this year to stay sharp.

I didn't know that Hart went over to Merritt. Ouch man. So I guess Leshawn didn't hesitate to dump his old coach then? Asking Hart to take a 50% cut in pay was insane. Jeremy should have known that his wallet only benefits from winning and not finishing second.

albinosprint

Mentor
wow! and I was just saying to myself that if Merritt ever teamed up with hart it could be all over for JW. this is terrible news! Jeremy better get his act together and run like he is supposed to. I would bet my left nut that his first lose to Merritt really rattled his cage and he has lost his mental edge. now he is really pressured to justify his split with Hart. his race today looked pathetic and he should be ashamed of himself. he should crawl back on his hands and knees to Hart and give the man what he deserves.

C Darwin

Mentor
Wariner gets revenge on Merritt</font>
Link

{snip}
In the 400, Wariner beat Merritt in a photo finish a week after Merritt stunned the Olympic and two-time world champion at the U.S. Olympic trials.

This time, Wariner won in 44.36 seconds â€â€￾ one-hundredth ahead of Merritt.

"I got out strong. I worked my tires. I finally executed like I should have at trials," Wariner said.

He held a slight lead rounding the last turn and went ahead by a stride midway down the final straight, but Merritt made a late charge to force the photo finish. Chris Brown of the Bahamas took third in 44.73.

After losing two straight, Wariner improved his career record over Merritt to 12-3, dating back to the spring of 2005.

Merritt said he thought the race was "set up," apparently by lane assignments â€â€￾ Wariner had lane 4 and Merritt lane 5.
{snip}

albinosprint

Mentor
"set up"? was it a set up when JW had the outside lane for his first loss to Merritt? Merritt is such a lemon! typical black "being held back by the man" BS! the fact of the matter is Merritt wouldn't be winning if JW was running like he was last year. its not like Merritt all of a sudden is dropping PR after PR. he is only winning because JW is running like crap this year. JW need to beat Merritt at the Olympics running from a outside lane to shut everyone up.

guest301

Hall of Famer
nevada said:
Yes, he deserves to lose in Beijing. He decided that a few thousand dollars were more important to him than anything else.

At least he didn't decide to stop running only 1 month before the Olympics. Like Andrew Rock, the idiot.

You sound like you want Wariner to lose in the Olympics. Lighten up man. I think you are just trying to irritate people here. Do you need a hug?
smiley31.gif
Feel better now.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
With the way Wariner is running I am quite convinced he will not get the 400 meter record this year. He would have to be dropping sub 44s in every recent big race so far this year to have the confidence and groove to get the record. He is not doing this at all this year!
smiley18.gif

JW is working toward peaking on the day of the 400m final and i would be shocked if he didnt win by at least 5m over merritt in the final.
he ran a 43.98 in olso at night and pulled back a bit after then so he could recover and build up to the olympic final. why should he risk peaking too early when merritt is somewhat of a threat?