Wariner is back and may threaten 43.19!

albinosprint

Mentor
maybe he just took it easy and shut it down? I hope everything is going good for him. jacknyc, what meet was it?

albinosprint

Mentor
jacknyc, I'm with you. this kid better have his act together by Berlin.

Maple Leaf

Mentor
He must have been jogging. 2012 is a long way away. He needs to re-focus though and stop tinkering and start reving it up.

albinosprint

Mentor
I would like to see this race. 2nd place was 46.27 so there is a good chance he used this race as a workout. he could also be doing this to get Merritt to let his gaurd down. I really hope thats the case. he better bring his A game in Berlin.

albinosprint

Mentor
JW is on the start list for Paris on the 17th. he really needs to set a SB at this meet.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Good luck to Wariner. He has always liked running in Paris. He has talked about it in interviews. I expect a time in the high 44 second range at the least.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I'm pumped for Fridays Race in Paris. Where is Pepe LeFlew when you need him. The mens 400 will be as good a race as you will see all you. It will be almost at the level of Berlin. The only guy missing is L.Merritt. Wariner will be facing Wissman, Borlee and Benjamin among others. What a lineup. Here is the link to the starting list.

http://www.meetingareva.com/resultats/?language=uk&sexe=h&epreuve=12Edited by: white lightning

albinosprint

Mentor
I would like to see JW run a mid to low 44, just to see where he is at. the boy is starting to scare me. we need Benjamin & Wissman to break 45 and Borlee to run close to his PR. I hope this meet is on TV I really want to see this race. the 100m is chock full of PEDs so we should see some crazy times from that race. I know this sounds terrible and bitter, but I really want to see Williamson pop an achilles or rip a ham string or something. I would also like to see Campbell in the 800 set another PR. should be a good meet!

Maple Leaf

Mentor
I think if you carefully watch his body language at the meet you'll want he is expecting of himself. I suspect he is just going through the motions right now.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
For those of you who love track. The Paris Meet is just starting. It is on universalsports.com for free. Just go there and click on the meet under athletics. No strings attached. I can't wait to see the mens 400 meters later on! It should be special. Enjoy guys.

albinosprint

Mentor
I just look at the results, WTF! he barely beat Brown. I read that he hurt his ankle and he has s been taking it easy, but now I'm really worried for this kid. White Lighting, you watched the race, give me your thoughts on his performance.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
He reminded me of last summer. Wariner just doesn't have the speed endurance. The Wariner of 2007 would have blown everyone away. He seems to almost always struggle finishing races. The good news is that Coach Hart still has a month to get him in better shape. He is not in race shape yet. The big question is whether he will be fit enough to defend hit World Champs Gold Medal from two years ago. I think he is 50/50 at best to win it. He has to get his speed endurance back. I can't stress that enough. He could have won this race going away. Wissman would have had a better shot but badly faded himself. Two guys who are not in peak race shape yet. The good thing is that I wouldn't want them to peak yet anyway. Peak in one month and we will be fine.

It's just hard to watch Wariner put up average times in his wins. Similar to Craig when you know what they are capable of. Especially Wariner who has went under 44 seconds several times! I still belive he will be ready. He has the greatest 400 meters coach in the world. Hart will make damn sure he is prepared.Edited by: white lightning

StarWars

Mentor
Hmmm. Some rain and a bad ankle added to the sub par 45.28 timing. Wariner is not the same, and if he keeps this up will just be a silver medal contendar. He is on pace to run only in the mid 44s, which he's already done this season, instead of mid 43s where he should be. I think he'll be fine though. If he can get a 3rd Olympic medal then he can solidify his spot as the best 400 meter runner ever. He is already the best clean one. The good news is that Merritt isn't getting anywhere close to Wariners 43.45 PB. I'm rooting for Gillick to medal too.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
This is really disappointing. I just can't see Wariner being able to get in gold medal shape in one month. Even though he is back with coach Hart, they have only been working together for a short time now. He still looks like he can get the silver, but I doubt he will be in contention for the gold in Berlin. It would be nice if Gillick could pick up the bronze though.
Tough year for our guys in this event. Wariner is not in shape, Martyn Rooney is injured, now Borlee is out for the rest of the year, Wissman is off-form.....damn!

StarWars

Mentor
He is still in Gold medal contention, just not the favorite for once. Wariner will run a sub 44.5 by Berlin. Even this year that would be a bad race for him. Merritt isn't doing much better, and can't break 44.50. Wariner's SB has been 44.00 or better for the last 5 years. Seriously. We're talking about one of the most dominant athletes in history along with Federer, Phelps, and Tiger Woods. Think about it, the 3rd fastest 400m ever (43.45), a 44.00 or bettter five years straight, an individual gold and silver medal in the Olympics, 4 individual WC gold medals, and countless relay 4x4 medals. He doesn't know how to not get to the podium. I think he was sub 21/ 46 in highschool...

albinosprint

Mentor
after watching the meet, there is something missing. he has lost that 4th 100m stamina that would let him just motor to the finish. maybe the ankle really slowed down his training. Hart is going to have his hands full getting him to where he needs to be for Berlin. of course, he could be playing possum to take Merritt by surprise in the final. he is a lock for silver, but needs to bring home gold in a near PR to send a real message to people.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Wariner himself said that he's not ready for the Worlds.
He has a month to improve, but I don't know if can knock off that much time that quickly. Obviously he has the talent, but he is not fully fit. I think he will get the silver, but unfortunately I think the gold may be out of reach this time. I hope I'm wrong, but......

white is right

Hall of Famer
Off that race yesterday I don't think he is even a lock for silver. His form is way off, even last years form and last years form was relatively poor for him. You have to figure Merritt will run a flat 44' or faster and some other guys are going to run low 44's. Right now he is looking like a low 44' guy if he runs within himself. I hope I am wrong....
smiley5.gif

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
The good thing for Wariner is that nobody else has really stepped up as a major medal contender besides Gillick. Rooney is out. Borlee is out. Wariner beat Chris Brown in Paris. But with his fitness questionable and rounds to run in Berlin, even a medal is not a lock for him. But I would still pick him as the favorite for the silver.

albinosprint

Mentor
JW is running at stockholm this week. I really hope he drop a great time. something around 44.2 to would make a nice statement.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
44.82 in Sweden.
Good time, but not a good time for Wariner. Berlin is only 2 wks away; he will have to be lucky to get gold. Silver should be his, but not a lock.

albinosprint

Mentor
JW though running slow is still dominating in his races.I really feel that JW & Hart have a plan and I think it involves Merritt letting his guard down. I think these slow time are all a part of the grand design. I think Merritt won't know what's happening till it's too late.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I have to agree with albinosprint on this one. I'm a little worried jacknyc but with Hart coaching him, I am just trusting that they are saving the best for last. Coach Hart will have him in great shape to run that last straightway fighting Merrit every step of the way. It should be exciting.

StarWars

Mentor
He is coming into form very nicely. Him and Gillick are our best. Wariner is 50/50 for gold. Gillick should make the final and hopefully medal!