Wariner - 200 Meters

G

Has Jeremy Wariner ever tried running the 800M? It would be interesting to see how well he would do if he trained for this event. Time will tell if he will ever be a world class 200M runner (it's just speed work for the 400M right now).Edited by: white lightning

albinosprint

Mentor
he can be a world class 200m runner. someone get achamber out of here!

PitBull

Guru
If its just speed work for the 400, that's fine with me. Everybody knows
Wariner leaves all the competiton in the dust in the last 200m, so if he can
improve his first 200, the drugged-up black record in the 400 will fall that
much faster.

freedom1

Mentor
I thought he already was world class. What time do you have to get these days to be considered world class and what's his best time?

albinosprint

Mentor
achamber, your a moron. 20.19 is a amazing time for a guy that runs 1 or 2 200m races a year. even though his time last sunday wasn't the greatest, I would bet he will rank in the top 100 for the 200m this year. Carter the 2nd fastest man ever in the 200 only ran 20.23 on sunday, I guess he's not world class these days either.

G

I don't see how he's not world class at the 200. He runs a 20 every time. That's world class.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I think Wariner should switch to the shot-put, he clearly doesn't have the speed for racing and it would suit his talent more.
smiley36.gif

G

So you all really believe that Wariner can medal in the 200M in the next Olympics? You might be wearing your Klansmen'shats too tight!

white is right

Hall of Famer
achamber said:
So you all really believe that Wariner can medal in the 200M in the next Olympics? You might be wearing your Klansmen's hats too tight!
No he won't medal(unless he improves significantly). But he could final at a world or Olympics. Until this recent sub 20 breakthrough by a bunch of young US 200 meter guys his best time was right up there with the rest of the best of the world. Also if you are niave enough to believe that all of these guys dropping 19.6 times are clean I have a bridge to sell you cheap.......
smiley2.gif

G

I agree - realistically I think Wariner, Andrew Rockand John Woods may be the only clean sprinters in the world.

Alpha Male

Mentor
Let's not forget about young Craig Pickering!

P.S. No one wears Klan hats here. If you want to have an intelligent discussion about race and sports, leave out the condescension.
Edited by: Alpha Male

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Funny how the first argument against Wariner is 'he doesn't have world class speed.'

When it's proven that he does have 'world class speed,' the next objection is 'will he medal at the Olympics?'

Newsflash! This just in! You don't have to actually win the -gasp- gold medal to have world class speed!! The guys who compete in those races ALL HAVE WORLD CLASS SPEED. That's how they GET THERE.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Time to clean up the latest troll infestation. I wonder if Orkin does websites. . .

Here are the men's 200 meter results from the Athen's Olympics. 20.19 looks world class from this data. IF anyone wishes to check it is on the USA Today Olympic
coverage site.http://www.usatoday.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/athens/results.aspx? rsc=ATM002101&ru=N

1Shawn Crawford (United States) 0.226 19.79
2 Bernard Williams (United States)0.173 20.01
3 Justin Gatlin (United States) 0.195 20.03
4 Frank Fredericks (Namibia) 0.248 20.14
5 Francis Obikwelu (Portugal) 0.183 20.14
6 Stephane Buckland (Mauritius) 0.294 20.24
7 Tobias Unger (Germany) 0.153 20.64

Just for Information Tobias Unger of Germany is white. While he had the seventh best speed please note he had quickest reaction time. Perhaps central Europeans are blessed with very quick reflexes and this would explain the ability as boxers.

Alpha Male

Mentor
Does quickest reaction time mean he had the best start? And if so, did he also have the best acceleration of the bunch? Was Tobias caught from behind?If he was, he should try the 100M and 60M indoor.Edited by: Alpha Male

Wariner is capable of sub 20 - IF he actually gets out and runs enough races.
He doesn't run many 200's and to be honest he needs to work on his start
and his first 50 meters. From what he and his coach have posted on the web
and said in interviews so far this year, they are concentrating on the 400
with some 200's tossed in. He really does need to work on his start. He
looked flat last week - and his start was bad. Personally, I think his coach
goes a bit overboard on the strength (in terms of endurance work) but then
again, the guy's run 43.62. That's world class speed by the way. Only three
guys have run faster and look at them, how they looked, when they did it. At
least two were doped to their eyeballs.

freedom1

Mentor
Does anyone know if Jeremy "not a world class sprinter" Wariner be running any 200s this season.

kre08

Guru
Wariner won his heat in the first round of the USA nationals.  He ran a 20.94 200m into a strong 2.2 m/s headwind to beat out notables Xavier Carter and Kelly Willie.  This is a very good time considering the head wind and it only being a preliminary heat.  Semi's and finals are tommorow.  Lets hope JW quiets the doubters and pulls off a sub-20.
Edited by: white lightning

kre08

Guru
JW just ran a 20.64 into another headwind and in rainy conditions. He will advance to the final of the USATF champs later today. He seems to be pacing his times well, so I hope he can get some favorable conditions and bust out a good time in the final.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
I just watched the race on TV, and given the rainy weather and wind, it seems unlikely to me that Wariner will be able to crank a new personal best time in the final.Edited by: jacknyc

kre08

Guru
JW ran a 20.35 in the final into a small headwind. He finished 4th and top-3 made the cut. While somewhat dissapointing he didn't make the cut it is still a solid time under the conditions. I am convinced that with better conditions and continued 200 meter focused training Jeremy will go sub-20.

G

That was a good run, but I still don't see anything that makes me think he will ever go under 20. There's nothing wrong with that either. If he can go 20.2 on a regular basis, his 200 work is serving it's purpose. Break the world record in the 400.

Xavier Carter hurt his leg. Could be a sign of drugs. I don't know a lot about track injuries but in other sports, drug users sometimes exceed the capacity of their joints, tendons, and ligaments.