Vyacheslav Glazkov

werewolf

Hall of Famer
Boxrec now ranks Glazkov #21 in the world. He's #3 in Ukraine, right behind the two greatest heavyweights in history..

Last edited:

Gibbon

Guru
A black named Thor's Hammer

How annoying, a black named Tor Hamer.

Essentially, Thor's Hammer. Definitive symbol of Nordic power.

We'll remember that Ingemar Johansson called his fist Thor's Hammer.

Etymology on Hamer's last name:

Hamer Name Meaning

English: habitational name from a place in Lancashire named Hamer, from Old English hamor ‘rock’, ‘crag’.English: possibly a metonymic occupational name for a smith or for a maker or seller of hammers, Middle English hamer (Old English hamor), or a habitational name for someone living at an inn or shop distinguished by the sign of a hammer.Dutch: from hamer ‘hammer’, hence a metonymic occupational name for a maker of hammers or a user of a hammer, for example a blacksmith.Jewish (Ashkenazic) and German: variant spelling of Hammer.Slovenian: variant spelling of German Hammer.

So "Hammer" is a possible translation.

Tor Hamer's parents are academics. One apparently Harvard educated. This was not a random ebonic naming. They had the name Hamer and they named their kid Tor or Thor (the names are synonymous) as a deliberate reference to Thor and Norse Myth.

Sort of like MLK being named after THE Martin Luther. We're not flattered. Stick to your own damn heroes, please.

And academics: don't let your kids box.

white is right

Hall of Famer
How annoying, a black named Tor Hamer.

Essentially, Thor's Hammer. Definitive symbol of Nordic power.

We'll remember that Ingemar Johansson called his fist Thor's Hammer.

Etymology on Hamer's last name:

Hamer Name Meaning

English: habitational name from a place in Lancashire named Hamer, from Old English hamor ‘rock’, ‘crag’.English: possibly a metonymic occupational name for a smith or for a maker or seller of hammers, Middle English hamer (Old English hamor), or a habitational name for someone living at an inn or shop distinguished by the sign of a hammer.Dutch: from hamer ‘hammer’, hence a metonymic occupational name for a maker of hammers or a user of a hammer, for example a blacksmith.Jewish (Ashkenazic) and German: variant spelling of Hammer.Slovenian: variant spelling of German Hammer.

So "Hammer" is a possible translation.

Tor Hamer's parents are academics. One apparently Harvard educated. This was not a random ebonic naming. They had the name Hamer and they named their kid Tor or Thor (the names are synonymous) as a deliberate reference to Thor and Norse Myth.

Sort of like MLK being named after THE Martin Luther. We're not flattered. Stick to your own damn heroes, please.

And academics: don't let your kids box.

I remember a quote from an old time trainer where he thought he would never want to train a college graduate in boxing because they were too old to learn their craft and they weren't hungry enough when the going got tough. This fight typifies that axiom.:boxing:

werewolf

Hall of Famer
Wow. He's good but I think that's a little too high. I see they moved Cunningham up too despite his so-called loss. Good.

Wow. He's good but I think that's a little too high. I see they moved Cunningham up too despite his so-called loss. Good.

One of the great things about Boxrec is that it's ratings are based on a mathematic algorithm which is explained in the forums. They have a mathematician who designed the ratings, and basically, it does its best to give you an objective rating of a boxer, taking into account KO's, and the round, as well as judges' scores in decision fights. All of these cumulative totals are crunched, and given priority weights according to being the fighter's most recent fights.

Nothing is perfect, but in my opinion, Boxrec.Com has the best ratings system in the world because it atleast tries to pursue objectivity (and is race-neutral, promoter-neutral, country-neutral), in contrast to other publications such as RING Magazine, ESPN, which are just American-centric, completely biased, and admittedly subjective. In the case of RING Magazine there is a conflict of interest in that Golden Boy Promotions actually owns the publication.

Yes I agree that Glazkov's rating is a bit high, but apparently, thats the objective view on it based on his record and the records of his opponents. TKO 4 over Hamer is an impressive result and this rating demonstrates that. For the most part I fully agree with Boxrec's ratings.

Last edited:

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
One of the great things about Boxrec is that it's ratings are based on a mathematic algorithm which is explained in the forums. They have a mathematician who designed the ratings, and basically, it does its best to give you an objective rating of a boxer, taking into account KO's, and the round, as well as judges' scores in decision fights. All of these cumulative totals are crunched, and given priority weights according to being the fighter's most recent fights.

Nothing is perfect, but in my opinion, Boxrec.Com has the best ratings system in the world because it atleast tries to pursue objectivity (and is race-neutral, promoter-neutral, country-neutral), in contrast to other publications such as RING Magazine, ESPN, which are just American-centric, completely biased, and admittedly subjective. In the case of RING Magazine there is a conflict of interest in that Golden Boy Promotions actually owns the publication.

Yes I agree that Glazkov's rating is a bit high, but apparently, thats the objective view on it based on his record and the records of his opponents. TKO 4 over Hamer is an impressive result and this rating demonstrates that. For the most part I fully agree with Boxrec's ratings.

They have moved Cunningham up to 14th in the world at heavyweight. I know the rankings are race neutral, but it's ludicrous. The guy is harmless at heavyweight. He has no power to knock a heavyweight fighter out and will get destrloyed by Klitschko, should they ever fight. What is a 203 lb guy going to do at heavyweight? Not much.

werewolf

Hall of Famer
Thanks, BoxSpec. I once read about how they do their ranking there but I forgot. But if it's purely mathematical how were they able to move Cunningham up despite his alleged loss?

I was rooting for Adamek in the fight but I like Cunningham. He seems to be a good sort, plus there is a certain connection I have with him going back to my Navy days, and it's not just the Navy.

As for Adamek and Cunningham not being real threats to the heavyweight championship, the real problem is that the heavyweight division is much too wide and it is increasingly dominated by men who are around 6'6" and up and 240 pounds and up. There is really no place in boxing now for a man who weighs a little over 200, whereas the stupid light weight divisions are separated by absurd 2 or 3 pounds and then you have the light heavyweight division being a whole seven pounds wide, and then it jumps to cruiserweight, 25 pounds wide, and then to heavyweight where a guy who's 201 is supposed to be in the same division as the giants.

Not only is boxing corrupt, it's stoopid too.

PS Oops, I guess this should have been on the Adamek-Cunningham thread.

As for Glazkov, as I said above, I've been impressed with him since I first saw him. He seems to be a working model of Boytsov, who he has already jumped in the rankings. He looks like cool customer too. "Tor" was compalining before their fight that he didn't even acknowledge his presence. Ha ha, I like that!

Thanks, BoxSpec. I once read about how they do their ranking there but I forgot. But if it's purely mathematical how were they able to move Cunningham up despite his alleged loss?

No problem man, happy to help out. Ive been watching boxing religiously for a good 15 years, so by now, I know pretty much everything that someone possibly can from a fan's perspective.

The reason Cunningham moved up in rankings, I would think has to do with with 3 things: 1) The closeness of the loss, he lost by Split Decision Boxrec takes that into account, and 2) The accumulated points of Adamek which were quite high up to that point (I believe Adamek was top5 before the fight), and 3) The fact that Cunningham's history at heavyweight has only been 2 fights.

Boxrec ratings are purely mathematic and the 2 men responsible for the ratings system even post on the forums (as JCS, and computerrank).

If a lower rated fighter loses a close fight (such as a split decision) to a high rated fighter, such as Adamek, that lower fighter will move up due to the closeness of the loss. All of these factors come together to determine his rating.

If you are interested, go to Current Scene in Boxrec.com forums and on the very first page they have a thread on the ratings system.

There is a fairly complicated formula they use which weighs and factors all of these points into account to determine a fighter's overall points.

I was rooting for Adamek in the fight but I like Cunningham. He seems to be a good sort, plus there is a certain connection I have with him going back to my Navy days, and it's not just the Navy.

Yes, I was also rooting for Adamek, but after the fight my initial reaction was that it was a draw. Anyways, as I said, 90% of the time this fight would have went to the Negro. Ive seen a good 15 or so times in the past 3 years a white fighter has been ripped off in this type of fight.

So I won't complain the one time a white fighter actually wins a toss up fight.

I admit it was a close fight, but I wouldn't call it a robbery either way. In my opinion.

And yes, I agree with you that Cunningham conducted himself as a gentleman and deserves respect for that. He doesn't behave as a thug or anything like that. Cunningham deserves credit for his sportsmanship.

Hey maybe they could do a 3rd fight! This one was close enough to warrant another fight!

As for Glazkov, as I said above, I've been impressed with him since I first saw him. He seems to be a working model of Boytsov, who he has already jumped in the rankings. He looks like cool customer too. "Tor" was compalining before their fight that he didn't even acknowledge his presence. Ha ha, I like that!

Fully agreed! :) I thought Glazkov looked superb in his fight.

In boxing on some occasions we have seen fighters quit (Hamer in this fight, Vic Ortiz in a couple of past fights), but Im never hard on a fighter quitting. If a fighter quits there is a good reason, usually he was getting beat up and had no way to change the fight.

I thought Hamer was taking a lot of punishment in rounds 3 and 4, and another round of that and he would have been KO'd. Thats why he quit. In my opinion. I look at this fight in the same way as a "TKO". Glazkov was sensational, be interesting to see where he goes from here.

Last edited:

Gibbon

Guru
In boxing on some occasions we have seen fighters quit (Hamer in this fight, Vic Ortiz in a couple of past fights), but Im never hard on a fighter quitting. If a fighter quits there is a good reason, usually he was getting beat up and had no way to change the fight.

I thought Hamer was taking a lot of punishment in rounds 3 and 4, and another round of that and he would have been KO'd. Thats why he quit. In my opinion. I look at this fight in the same way as a "TKO". Glazkov was sensational, be interesting to see where he goes from here.

I agree with this. I bet Tor is a relatively smart guy with a longer time horizon than most of these boxers, black or otherwise. And why not live to fight another day? That is, why needlessly sustain a more or less inevitable knock out based on the very, very remote chance of landing a freak knock out blow for the win? He was outclassed and he knew it. Now he either has the choice of going back and retooling, seeking a different level of competition and maybe building back up to a Glazkov or realizing he'll never be the elite boxer he wants to be and quitting. Sustaining a concussion is not useful toward any of those directions.

Remember the "Quitschko" slur because Vitali called it off against Chris Bird? Maybe you do. But it's likely that few will remember going forward much less Chris Bird (who would have been an awesome Cruiserweight). And that's because he did the right thing. He thought long term and didn't needless jeopardize his shoulder.

werewolf

Hall of Famer
Hi, BoxSpec. That's some sophisticated formula those BoxRec dudes have devised if it can really automatically take all those things into account. They ought to also devise one to replace the thoroughly corrupt scoring system. BoxRec is also the greatest boxing information resource. Too bad their boxing discussion forum is almost equally as trashy as ESB's pathetic mess. That's just not right.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Hi, BoxSpec. That's some sophisticated formula those BoxRec dudes have devised if it can really automatically take all those things into account. They ought to also devise one to replace the thoroughly corrupt scoring system. BoxRec is also the greatest boxing information resource. Too bad their boxing discussion forum is almost equally as trashy as ESB's pathetic mess. That's just not right.
I recall the IBO or another upstart organization using a computer to rank fighters similar to tennis. The ratings were manipulated by fighters who fought often but not top ranked foes. I recall Brian Nielsen receiving a high rating and nobody but people in Denmark took him seriously. Tennis has had this problem with players that play nearly all the top tournaments and winning the tournaments where the big guns don't show up, but these same players would exit the 4 majors early.

werewolf

Hall of Famer
Yeah, Brian Nielsen was a disappointment when he lost to Tyson. Isn't the undefeated Danish middleweight Patrick Nielsen related to him?

BoxRec also has the baloney "P4P" ratings posted along with official looking numbers, the obligatory non-white little feller, of course, up on top. What kind of "mathematic algorithm" is that supposed to be based on?

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Glazkov will fight Malik Scott (35-0) on Feb 23. Scott has more pro experience, is taller, and has a 7" longer reach. It will be televised on NBC, which seems to not be as prejudiced against white boxers as HBO.

Vyacheslav Glazkov-Malik Scott Set For February 23 - Boxing News

Here's Dan Rafael's view on this fight:

http://espn.go.com/blog/dan-rafael/post/_/id/2858/happy-to-see-glazkov-but-not-vs-scott

Heavyweight prospect Vyacheslav "Czar" Glazkov (14-0, 10 KOs), a 2008 Olympic bronze medalist from Ukraine, got tremendous exposure in his last fight when he made Tor Hamer quit after four rounds in the opening bout of the return of boxing to NBC on Dec. 22.

Glazkov will look to build on that solid performance when he headlines the Feb. 23 edition of NBC Sports Net’s “Fight Night” series.

The downside, however, is that Glazkov, 28, has been matched with 35-year-old Malik Scott (35-0, 12 KOs), who has a sterling record but has built it against 35 nobodies and put more people to sleep than Ambien. I’ve been hard on Scott through the years. I admit it. I hung the nickname “80-72” on him because so many of his fights -- against overmatched opponents -- went the distance and he won by shutout rather than even remotely try to press the action. It’s a real shame, too, because Scott has the size and the skills but has never shown an ounce of fire in the ring. Even when in total control, he refuses to try to stop his opponent.

After more than a three-year-layoff, Scott returned last February and made a halfway decent fight (by his low standards, anyway) in an -- you guessed it -- 80-72 decision against Kendrick Releford on Showtime Extreme. I tried to give him another chance, but then, two fights later, Scott absolutely stunk the joint out again in a lame eighth-round TKO win against Bowie Tupou (who injured his arm, which caused the end of the fight) in September on the Andre Ward-Chad Dawson undercard. The fight was so bad, the crowd was booing before the first round was over. I watched the whole fight at ringside. I’ll never get that half hour of my life back.

So I feel for Main Events matchmaker Jolene Mizzone. She did not want to make Glazkov-Scott. She tried hard to make a more fan-friendly match. She told me she offered the fight to 11 different heavyweights before having no other choice but to take Scott. Those other guys did not want to face Glazkov or were not happy with the money or both. Heavyweights such as Magomed Abdusalamov, Travis Kauffman, Joe Hanks, David Rodriguez and Franklin Lawrence all turned it down.

So now we’re stuck with Glazkov-Scott. Maybe, for once, Scott will fight with a shred of passion. He doesn’t deserve it, but Scott is going to be on national TV. If he isn’t going to fight with passion then, when will he ever?

Whatever he does, I’m not worried because I refuse to watch the fight live. I’ll DVR it, watch the Showtime card that is on opposite “Fight Night” and then find out the result of Glazkov-Scott before speeding through it. I’ve watched too many terrible Scott fights to be suckered again.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer

werewolf

Hall of Famer
I like the Czar! He'll KO that bum. What time is the fight, and is it live or tape delayed on the west coast? Anybody know?

white is right

Hall of Famer
I don't know how good either fighter is so this will definitely be one to watch live.
Scott can't punch himself out of a wet paper bag. If the Glazkov that made Hamer quit shows up for this fight he should at least pound out a unanimous decision.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Some good fights with Glazkov and Price both fighting this weekend and both against black fighters. I am feeling pretty confident in both of them. I just hope one of them doesn't prove to be the European version of Tye Fields.

Amren.com

Mentor
Scott can't punch himself out of a wet paper bag. If the Glazkov that made Hamer quit shows up for this fight he should at least pound out a unanimous decision.

I hope Glazkov beats Scott (preferably by highlight reel KO) but it isn't a sure thing until it actually happens.