Valuev This Saturday

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
I've been reading "he calls himself the White Tyson" but that actually isn't correct, it's just a mistake that's been repeated throughout the media! In an amateur tournament Chagaev won years ago, someone in the media referred to him as the "White Tyson" because of his style in the ring, and it stuck.

But the truth is HE DOESN'T CALL HIMSELF THAT, other people have given him the label! Edited by: JD1986

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Let's hope he neither behaves like Mike Tyson outside the ring nor has Tyson's problems with big men inside it.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Ruslan Chagaev is much more intelligent and has much more class than Mike Tyson, so his behavior outside the ring will be okay. And he showed yesterday that he doesn't have Tyson's problem with big men inside the ring.

hedgehog

Mentor
Colonel_Reb said:
Who's that in your new avatar, KJV1?

It is Keith Millard, my all time favorite football player. NFL defensive MVP in 1989, holds the single season record for most sacks by a D-tackle at 18. Two years after his 18 sack season, Denny Green came to town and released him.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Wow, KJV1, another great athletelost to public consciousness thanks to the Caste System. Thanks for the explanation.

JD074

Master
JD1986 said:
Ruslan Chagaev is much more intelligent and has much more class than Mike Tyson, so his behavior outside the ring will be okay. And he showed yesterday that he doesn't have Tyson's problem with big men inside the ring.

I agree that Chagaev has been a total class act, as far as I can tell. As far as big men, he dealt with Valuev by being faster (and being a southpaw helped, as well,) but how would he deal with big men with hand speed, namely, Klitschko and Briggs? Needless to say, if he was fighting Wlad on Saturday, it would have been a dramatically different scenario.

Oh, and it'll be interesting to see how Ibragimov will fare against Briggs. Superficially, Ibragimov and Chagaev have similarities: about the same size, southpaws, good power, good speed. If Briggs annihilates Sultan, well, we'll probably need a big man (ahem, Wlad) to dispatch of him. I have to admit, I am very nervous about the Briggs/ Ibragimov fight. Edited by: JD074

Dont be nervous. Ibragimov is not exactly the "great white hope," he's just anouther tallent. If he wins great, and if not, no problem.

The media wont hype up Biggs if he wins this one. They wouldnt be able to legitimize doing so. Then again, my contentions are based on basic (almost mathematical) logic.....

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
JD074 said:
Oh, and it'll be interesting to see how Ibragimov will fare against Briggs. Superficially, Ibragimov and Chagaev have similarities: about the same size, southpaws, good power, good speed. If Briggs annihilates Sultan, well, we'll probably need a big man (ahem, Wlad) to dispatch of him. I have to admit, I am very nervous about the Briggs/ Ibragimov fight.
Trust me on this one, Ibragimov will annihilate Briggs! Briggs is an easy target to hit, if Lyakhovich would have had decent power he would have easily knocked him out. Sultan is very similar to Chagaev, but is an even better counterpuncher. He is very underrated - watch his fight with big Lance Whitaker on YouTube. He went farther than Chagaev in the 2000 Olympics, winning the Silver Medal. Edited by: JD1986

Maple Leaf

Mentor
JD074 wrote:

I have to admit, I am very nervous about the Briggs/ Ibragimov fight.

JD, you always say your're nervous about these big black/white clashes (nothing personal). I wouldn't be nervous about that fight, actually it should be very entertaining. Ibragimov can take a punch and he is very fast and very busy. When I say he's fast, he's fast in multiple combinations and he doesn't paw. Briggs is fast but for only 2-3 punches and then he tires. Briggs also is lethargic and slow on his feet and throws very few punches per round.

Ibragimov is well coached. Expect him to step forward and to his right as Briggs throws a jab and double right hook him or to move his head to the right and simultaneously throw his straight left inside of Briggs' straight right. Either way with a guy like Briggs who throws so few punches and, mostly 1-1's or 1-2's, Ibragimov has an excellent chance to wear down Briggs by being busier. Also, Ibragimov understands the importance of distance. He knows that in order to win he must get inside and stay inside as Briggs cannot match his inside skill and work rate and Briggs is actually not very dangerous in close as he needs more distance in order to punch hard with 1 exception -the uppercut. Briggs' uppercut will have power and Ibragimov needs to keep his left hand high and tight when not in use which is something he sometimes forgets to do.

Lyakovitch out-boxed Briggs for 12 rounds in their last fight. Lyakovitch lost because he kept throwing he lead right to the body while exposing his chin. Briggs tried to counter with straight rights all night and kept missing until those fatefull last seconds when he was able to finally land one. Briggs is very easy to hit and Ibragimaov knows it and that explains why he is so confident to fight him. I love a guy who fights with confidence and believes in himself and who couldn't give a rats ass as to what others think of him.

Overall I see Ibragimov winning a unanimous decision.

Maple Leaf

Mentor
This guy Chagaev looks like he is built like a brick sh*thouse. A real natural strong guy. Not like those U.S. steroid junkies like Holyfield or Briggs. Chagaev looks really strong but still loose and flexible. His muscles don't look like a weightlifters and he doesn't have that tightness those type of builds have. You have to give Valuev credit, Chagaev can hit like an sledgehammer. I like this guy but I don't think he beat Wladimir. He could give Samuel Peter a good beating though.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Maple Leaf said:
This guy Chagaev looks like he is built like a brick sh*thouse. A real natural strong guy. Not like those U.S. steroid junkies like Holyfield or Briggs. Chagaev looks really strong but still loose and flexible. His muscles don't look like a weightlifters and he doesn't have that tightness those type of builds have. You have to give Valuev credit, Chagaev can hit like an sledgehammer. I like this guy but I don't think he beat Wladimir. He could give Samuel Peter a good beating though.

They call him the "white Tyson" for a reason because his body type is similar to Tyson. I am glad that Valuev didn't break Marciano's record and at least he lost to a white fighter. Valuev will regain the title someday, after all there are four major heavyweight titles out there to be had.

JD074

Master
Maple Leaf said:
JD074 wrote:

I have to admit, I am very nervous about the Briggs/ Ibragimov fight.

JD, you always say your're nervous about these big black/white clashes (nothing personal).

Only when it's a black fighter with power, like Briggs or Peter. I wasn't nervous about Klitschko/ Brock, for example. I can take a points decision, but I hate seeing black fighters knock out white fighters.

Lyakovitch out-boxed Briggs for 12 rounds in their last fight. Lyakovitch lost because he kept throwing he lead right to the body while exposing his chin. Briggs tried to counter with straight rights all night and kept missing until those fatefull last seconds when he was able to finally land one.

I just saw the 12th round of that fight again on Youtube, and Briggs actually landed quite a few bombs in that round. If Briggs wasn't so fatigued, he would've finished him earlier.

That clip reminded me of just how terribly Lyakhovich fought in that round! Wow! He could not have done any worse.
Edited by: JD074

JD074

Master
JD1986 said:
Trust me on this one, Ibragimov will annihilate Briggs! Briggs is an easy target to hit, if Lyakhovich would have had decent power he would have easily knocked him out. Sultan is very similar to Chagaev, but is an even better counterpuncher. He is very underrated - watch his fight with big Lance Whitaker on YouTube. He went farther than Chagaev in the 2000 Olympics, winning the Silver Medal.

I hope you're right. The first issue is that he must be in top condition so that he can utilize his superior mobility for as long as necessary. If Ibragimov is very quick and in top shape (unlike Lyakhovich when he fought Briggs,) and fights a smart fight (again, unlike Lyakhovich,) he could definitely win this fight. On the other hand, Briggs combination of reach, hand speed, and power could pose a huge problem for Sultan. We'll see. Edited by: JD074

itsme

Guru
JD1986 said:
Good fight! I had it scored 117-115 for Chagaev. I like Valuev, but I'm kind of glad he didn't break the great Rocky Marciano's record.

Ruslan Chagaev is another white champion, his family is from southern Russia (Chechnya) and moved to the Uzbek Soviet Republic where he was born.

Chechnyans are white?
smiley11.gif
They aren't white, they are mixed mongrels and they are muslims.

Ruslan Chagaev is a muslim too.

I would rather root for a blackie than for a son of allah.
smiley5.gif

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
itsme said:
JD1986 said:
Good fight! I had it scored 115-113 for Chagaev. I like Valuev, but I'm kind of glad he didn't break the great Rocky Marciano's record.
Ruslan Chagaev is another white champion, his family is from southern Russia (Chechnya) and moved to the Uzbek Soviet Republic where he was born.
Chechnyans are white?
smiley11.gif
They aren't white, they are mixed mongrels and they are muslims.
Ruslan Chagaev is a muslim too.
I would rather root for a blackie than for a son of allah.
smiley5.gif
The original "Caucasians" came from that area north of the Caucacus Mountains where Chagaev's and Ibragimov's people are from. I'm of British heritage, but Ibragimov (an Avar) looks a lot like me, in fact Sultan appears to be pure Caucasion (he even has blue eyes). Chagaev does look like he's has some Turkic heritage as well, but he appears to be mostly Caucasian. They're both Muslims.

I don't care whether someone is Muslim or not, white people can be Muslims. I'm not a white supremacist either, I just don't like the discrimination against White athletes by the media. I don't hate other races, but I do like my own race.

Edited by: JD1986

nhl411

Guru
JD1986 said:
I don't care whether someone is Muslim or not, white people can be Muslims. I'm not a white supremacist either, I just don't like the discrimination against White athletes by the media. I don't hate other races, but I do like my own race.

totally agree jd