Valuev This Saturday

Stahlhammer

Chagaev-Valuev on Saturday

WBA heavyweight boxing champion Nikolai Valuev is unsure whether Saturday´s clash with mandatory challenger Ruslan Chagaev will be the toughest fight of his career. "That is something we will find out in the ring," the Russian Giant said at today´s public work-out. "This fight is no different from my previous bouts. I am always prepared for my opponents."

The biggest and tallest champion of all time (47-0), who is closing in on Rocky Marciano´s dream record of 49 fights without defeat, will use the remaining four days to "preserve my great form". To get in the right frame of mind, he won´t just be working inside the gym. "I will go for walks and also go fishing," he stated. "I found a nice little shop here in Stuttgart where I will buy a new fishing rod today."

Funnily enough, his Uzbek challenger is no stranger to odd preparational methods himself. Coach Michael Timm put Chagaev through interesting work-outs during the long preparation.

"Sometimes I would be standing on a box for Ruslan to get a feel for his size," Timm revealed. "Facing a seven-footer certainly is very difficult."

Chagaev (23-0) admitted a dream would come true for him on Saturday. "I have been working very hard to get a world title shot," he stated. "It is my goal to become world champion. Now I have the chance and I want to make the most of it."

http://www.boxing24.com/2007/04/chagaev-valuev-on-saturday/

white is right

Hall of Famer
jared said:
He's hairy. I think he's half grizzly bear.
He is derisively known as Chewbacca or the Yeti by haters on boxing boards....
smiley11.gif

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Valuev is the man.He is not a shaved down metro-sexual like most guys these days.
smiley36.gif
I see him winning a very close fight.I wish that Chagaev could have been fighting S.Briggs instead.I can't wait for this weekend.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Valuev-Chagaev on U.S. TV!
MSG saves the day....again
MSG has acquired the television rights to air the WBA heavyweight championship fight between WBA champion Nikolai "Giant Russian" Valuev and undefeated heavyweight contender Ruslan Chagaev. The fight will be telecast live on MSG from Stuttgart, Germany on Saturday at 4:30 pm ET. This is the second time in the past month that MSG has acquired an overseas boxing match to air live on the network. On March 17 MSG aired the highly anticipated WBC and WBA cruiserweight rematch fight between O'Neil 'Supernova' Bell and Jean-Marc Mormeck live from Levallois-Perret, France. The Sauerland Event and Don King Productions presentation will be re-broadcast on MSG the following Saturday, April 21 at 8:00 pm and 11:00 pm, additional airings will occur throughout the month of April. Dave Bontempo will call the action for the fight.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
There's another excellent white heavyweight on the undercard of the Chagaev-Valuev match, Oleg Platov, age 24 (24-1) up against veteran Colin Wilson (33-19). Oleg's only loss came when he was age 19.

I'm hoping they'll show both fights, I'd like to see the up-and-coming young Ukrainian.Edited by: JD1986

C Darwin

Mentor
Wow! He lost. The other guy had very fast hands.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Good fight! I had it scored 115-113 for Chagaev. I like Valuev, but I'm kind of glad he didn't break the great Rocky Marciano's record.

Ruslan Chagaev is another white champion, his family is from southern Russia (Chechnya) and moved to the Uzbek Soviet Republic where he was born.Edited by: JD1986

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Chagaev pulls a monumental upset! I am shocked that Valuev lost the decision.He was getting so close to Marciano's Record.I'm happy however for the Rock.Can Chagaev stay on top for long?We shall see.The thing that really gets me angry is that Wlad will still not get a title shot.Valuev was said to have an agreement on a fight with Wlad next.It's too bad.Everyone fears Wladimir Klitschko.How long must he wait to get a chance to unify all four belts.This is b.s. I hope he destroys L.Brewster!

moose

Guru
I had chagaev winning 8 or 9 rounds, he landed a lot of left hands on nicolai, this was the first time I have seen valueve fight a southpaw, good fight. Thanks msg tv

JD074

Master
Kudos to Chagaev!
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

This is the first time that I scored a fight all the way through. I had it eight rounds to four for Chagaev. I gave Chagaev six of the first seven, and Valuev three of the last five. Valuev's jab was effective when he really landed it (instead of just "flicking" it out there,) he landed excellent body shots during the middle rounds, and finally landed some combinations in the later rounds. He almost wore down Chagaev, but not quite. He could simply never make an adjustment to the southpaw's left hand. Chagaev was just too dominant with his main weapon, moved too well, and when they exchanged, Chagaev usually got the better of them. And despite his amazing stamina, it was Valuev who was more fatigued in the final round.

Was anybody else worried about another controversial decision? I know I was! I was thinking to myself, "Don't celebrate too soon, Ruslan!"
smiley36.gif

As for Klitschko, Don King doesn't promote Chagaev, so this can be good for him, and the Heavyweight division in general. Don King is on his last leg now. Briggs is his only HW champion.

This was a wonderful moment for Chagaev, and I am very happy for him. It was great to see how elated he was to be a Heavyweight champ. But it could be a tough road for him in the future. There are some big boys out there; he'll have to slay more Goliaths to stay in the Heavyweight picture. I wish him the best.

Also, any thoughts on Don King's predictions? He has Peter beating Maskaev and Brewster beating Klitschko? Hmm... I wonder why he thinks that?!
smiley15.gif
Edited by: JD074

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I can't see Brewster even lasting through the 7th round.Klitschko will knock him out.As for the other fight,it is scary.Maskaev is very old and I just don't know if he can handle Peters power.I sure hope he can because Samuel Peter is alot like Tyson.He can't really box that well.If he doesn't get the knockout,he gets really nervous.He can be beaten on points.I just hope that Maskaev is in the best shape of his life!

white is right

Hall of Famer
JD1986 said:
Good fight! I had it scored 117-115 for Chagaev. I like Valuev, but I'm kind of glad he didn't break the great Rocky Marciano's record.

Ruslan Chagaev is another white champion, his family is from southern Russia (Chechnya) and moved to the Uzbek Soviet Republic where he was born.
Yes I thought he was an Uzbek who are more Eurasian than "white". But Chechnyans are white.Edited by: white is right

freedom1

Mentor
I'm glad Valuev lost. It wouldn't have been right for a guy who barely got by John Ruiz to break Marciano's record. The competition he has faced has been too soft.

If one of the Klitschkos would have done it, it would've been legit, cause they've faced all the best opposition in the division.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I am surprised that Valuev lost, but I'm not too upset about him falling short of "The Greatest's" record. I just hope whites keep most, if not all,of the titles and one of them succeedsin unifying the belts.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I think it's great to have another white champ but I wonder how you win the title without knocking out or down the current champ. If this was a white fighter against a black champ I bet the decision would have went the other way.

box6.jpg

box3-1.jpg

box5-1.jpg

box4-1.jpg

box2-1.jpg

box1-1.jpg

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Who's that in your new avatar, KJV1?

JD074

Master
I don't care if he knocked him out or not, he won the fight and deserves the belt.

According to boxrec.com, Platov KO'd his opponent in the 10th round. And I was impressed by Rene Dettweiler, they televised his fight before the Valuev/ Chagaev fight. He's a young German fighter, 6-4, a southpaw, good jab, good power, and good wingspan (I believe it was 80 inches, same as Briggs.) His opponent was DQ'd because he held too much (he basically had no other recourse, he was totally outclassed.)

white is right

Hall of Famer
jaxvid said:
I think it's great to have another white champ but I wonder how you win the title without knocking out or down the current champ. If this was a white fighter against a black champ I bet the decision would have went the other way. I recall Micheal Moorer winning a disputed cheesy decision against Holyfield who knocked him down. But that was about the first fight where I saw the champ lose a debatable decision. Maybe Valuev was due to lose a close one as he had razor thin wins against Donald and Ruiz.

box6.jpg

box3-1.jpg

box5-1.jpg

box4-1.jpg

box2-1.jpg

box1-1.jpg

Chagaev calls himself "white Tyson" .. Im not sure if I like that.

Why associate yourself with someone who has character flaws.