US Olympic trials

Poacher

Mentor
400 final isn't until Wednesday I think. Make that Thursday.

Want to see how Galen Rupp is going to do. I don't see him beating Lagat but he should have a good showing.

Who is this lady who just ran a 10.76?

I wish I knew more about our chances in the field events.

I've always enjoyed the trials. In some of the events America is so deep that making the U.S. squad is arguably tougher than the Olympics.Edited by: Poacher

G

Joey Woody was eliminated in the 400 meter hurdle semi-final.

G

You mean Bernard Lagat, the traitor, right? I'm sure the US women's basketball coach will be calling him out next. Anyday now, I'm sure she'll get around to that. Anyday now.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I feel bad for Dallas Robinson. The whole purpose of his return to track was to live his dream of at least participating at the US Olympic Trials. Oh well. I hope he hasn't given up already due to getting hurt. Sprinting is very hard on the body and I'm sure he doesn't have the sports masagist, dietician, etc.

I'm excited to watch Jordan Boase in the 200. Wariner is going to put on a show in the 400.

G

Nic Symmonds, Andrew Wheating, and Christian Smith are into the 800 meter final.

As is Lopez Lomong, another "American".

From lopezlomong.org:

"Lopez Lomong was born on January 1, 1985, in Kimotong, Sudan. He is the son of Robert and Barbara Rogers. Lomong enjoys listening to music. One of his favorite artists is 2Pac Shakur. He plans on majoring in hotel and restaurant management and hopes to have a partnership with a well known hotel like Marriot. His goal is to build a hotel in Africa in order to bring tourists to his birth home and create more of a peaceful environment there."

Where are you, US women's basketball coach?

G

Oh boy. Some of the guys here are not going to like the numbers coming out of the 100 meter semi-final.

SteveB

Mentor
Tomorrow is the start of the decathlon. Look for a Trey Hardee/Bryan Clay showdown.Edited by: SteveB

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Tyson Gay running a 9.76 after stumbling a little and also shutting it down at 90 meters. Yeah those are some really good one a day vitamins. It is not possible even with a wind to run that fast and not go all out. I'm sorry but he along with alot of us sprinters have a secret weapon if you know what i'm talking about. Or else he should change his name to Clark Kent.
smiley36.gif

white is right

Hall of Famer
There are a few holdouts that think Gay is clean. I'm not among them. He gained a lot of size post college and shutting down running a 9.77 is crazzzzzzzzy. In college with the Razorbacks he was more of 200 meter guy because of his lack of size. Maybe he panicked (like Ben in 88) and got a new supply of the Clear part 2 after he lost to Bolt....
smiley5.gif
smiley11.gif

Poacher

Mentor
nevada said:
You mean Bernard Lagat, the traitor, right? I'm sure the US women's basketball coach will be calling him out next. Anyday now, I'm sure she'll get around to that. Anyday now.

Yes, that Bernard Lagat.

What does the women's basketball coach have to do with it?

albinosprint

Mentor
looks like there are some new PEDs on the market that the testers cant find. its going to be the like the HGH of 1996 Olympics all over again.

blue_mentos

that is a ridiculous time by gay. i dont know how anyone can doubt his drug usage. there is no way anyone can reach a world class time by not running a perfect sprint. for those that keep up with the track world more than i, are there any athletes in the 100 that we should be looking out for? also, does anyone know if there is tv coverage of any of the trials?

white lightning

Hall of Famer
There is no one we are rooting for here for the men in the short sprints. Dallas Robinson got hurt and John Woods moved to Australia. As for the 200, it is pretty sad with only the college kid Jordan Boase competeting.

There is tv coverage on espn, usa network and nbc.Edited by: white lightning

Poacher

Mentor
SteveB said:
Tomorrow is the start of the decathlon. Look for a Trey Hardee/Bryan Clay showdown.

You called it: Clay 10.39/ Hardee 10.43.

Like many on this site I had no idea who Hardee was until a CF'er posted about him. Now I'm a monstrous bandwagon jumper but I don't care..come on Hardee!

G

white lightning said:
There is no one we are rooting for here for the men in the short sprints.

The qualifying time for trials was 10.28 and the field was 32 runners. So there is not a single white guy in the US capable of running even that fast. Unless you count the mysterious Dallas Robinson who may or may not have qualified.

This is beyond ridiculous and can only be explained by discouraged runners.

Poacher

Mentor
100 results are abysmal. A testimony to the effectiveness of our enemies.

Meanwhile, a new star may be emerging. A lot of deca yet to be contested but so far Trey Hardee is rolling. Just took second in the long jump giving him the overall lead with 1989 points. The reptillian looking Clay has 1909.

Anyone know how they determine lane assignments for the running events? How in the blank did Wariner get shoved all the way out in BFE (lane 8) for his heat and Merritt get primo lane 4? Or am I misinterpreting the start list for the 400?

Pappas (forgot about him) just blew away the shot to take the lead with 2814. Hardee didn't do so well only accumulating 733 pts putting him at 2722. Hopefully that is his weakest event.Edited by: Poacher

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Are you watching this live? I don't see it on tv anywhere. I imagine your probably just following it at the website. Trey Hardee is one hell of an athlete. He is built like a mack truck and he has so much athleticism.

The United States has around 330 million people. There is probably almost 100 million white men but they just don't go into the sprints. If they did, we would see alot of white guys from this country who would blow away even the times of guys like LeBlanc and Pickering. You need numbers. Our kids are steered into different sports. I would love to see white kids fall in love with track. Most prefer team sports.

Wariner will get through his first round even if they are screwing him over. Your right about the lanes. Lanes 3,4,5 and 6 are what every sprinter prefers. I feel like the media is really rooting for his demise. Wariner has dominated the 400 for four years like no one has since MJ. He is truely special and he will prove it like always. Don't forget that Jordan Boase is running in both the 200 & 400 meters. We need to root for him too.

Poacher

Mentor
I'm not watching it live. I just check the website every so often for the latest results.

Forgot about Boase. I'll be pulling for him. He's going to have to clip off a couple of mid-44s to make it to the final I think.

kre08

Guru
Black sprinter Darvis Patton lowered his personal best from 10.00 to 9.89 in the 100 meter heats yesterday at the ripe age of nearly 31. His previous personal best was set in 2003. Very interesting;)

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
There are 4 guys in the 400m to watch:
Wariner
Boase
Rock
Drew Morano

SteveB

Mentor
kre08 said:
Black sprinter Darvis Patton lowered his personal best from 10.00 to 9.89 in the 100 meter heats yesterday at the ripe age of nearly 31. His previous personal best was set in 2003. Very interesting;)

Darvis Patton was a nobody in Texas during high school, then he goes to some juco and becomes a juco all american. His career has always been very suspicious to me.

Poacher

Mentor
After day one of the Decathlon Clay is in first with 4476 and Hardee is second with 4454.

46.04 for Wariner in the prelim.

Boase is through to the semis! Rock was a DNF.

Man was I wrong about the 44.5 prediction. Those were some slow times. Edited by: Poacher

SteveB

Mentor
Decathlon Day 1 Results:

1 Bryan Clay 4476 pts
2 Trey Hardee 4454 pts
3 Tom Pappas 4405 pts

With tomorrows field events, I can see Hardee and Pappas overtaking Clay.