Tyson Fury

werewolf

Hall of Famer
Two judges had Fury losing at the time of the stoppage...

Seriously? It looked to me (I saw the replay above) that Fury was beating up on Cunningham pretty good the last 3 or 4 rounds. I guess the fix was in if it had gone the distance to get the monkeys in the judge suits to award it to Cunningham. I thought that the ref was pretty quick to deduct a point from Fury too.

He will never be able to even win a round against either Klitschko...

I don't think so either, but it should be a fun fight.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Seriously? It looked to me (I saw the replay above) that Fury was beating up on Cunningham pretty good the last 3 or 4 rounds. I guess the fix was in if it had gone the distance to get the monkeys in the judge suits to award it to Cunningham. I thought that the ref was pretty quick to deduct a point from Fury too.

I don't think so either, but it should be a fun fight.

Yes, supposedly two judges had Cunningham ahead in the 7th round so it's possible if the fight went the distance Fury would lose. Cunningham hit Adamek with a perfect shot in their first fight yet Adamek didn't even budge, but the larger Fury was knocked down. At least he gets the win but he has much, much need for improvement.

The Hock

Master
Bottom line is Fury took his guy out like he needed to. Flores tried to make he 2nd round knockdown more dire than it was. Good moment for Cunningham after Fury's showbeating and boorish push at the end of round one. The fight had turned into something of a beatdown with a lot of Fury roughhousing. Cunningham was shaking his head as the ref counted him out. He'd had enough.

werewolf

Hall of Famer
"Fury's showbeating and boorish push at the end of round one."

Yep, and that was, I thought, something the ref SHOULD have warned him about, whereas I thought the alleged head butt only deserved a warning.

And, as I said before, I think that Cunningham played the role of the white man. I'm glad that he seemed to be OK after that vicious ko. I hope he is.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Bottom line is Fury took his guy out like he needed to. Flores tried to make he 2nd round knockdown more dire than it was. Good moment for Cunningham after Fury's showbeating and boorish push at the end of round one. The fight had turned into something of a beatdown with a lot of Fury roughhousing. Cunningham was shaking his head as the ref counted him out. He'd had enough.
I agree I downloaded a copy of the fight and Fury was more shocked from the blow than stunned. I recall a writer describing Fury's style as Gerry Cooney without the quality jab and vicious power. I tend to agree with that but Fury has a better chin and conditioning. Fury needs much more seasoning until he fights either K brother. I also think he is good enough to beat every other contender, but should get smoked by either brother. His best bet to win a belt is to try and win the WBA regular belt or wait to fight for the WBC belt against Areola or whomever emerges with the belt after Vitali retires.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I agree I downloaded a copy of the fight and Fury was more shocked from the blow than stunned. I recall a writer describing Fury's style as Gerry Cooney without the quality jab and vicious power. I tend to agree with that but Fury has a better chin and conditioning. Fury needs much more seasoning until he fights either K brother. I also think he is good enough to beat every other contender, but should get smoked by either brother. His best bet to win a belt is to try and win the WBA regular belt or wait to fight for the WBC belt against Areola or whomever emerges with the belt after Vitali retires.

He didn't look all that great. Cunningham is a cruiserweight, a guy Fury should have had out of there in a couple of rounds and especially consdering all the talk before the fight. Fury has a ton of improving to do in every aspect.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
He didn't look all that great. Cunningham is a cruiserweight, a guy Fury should have had out of there in a couple of rounds and especially consdering all the talk before the fight. Fury has a ton of improving to do in every aspect.

Agreed. Fury should have walked thru Cunningham (who's not a can, but also not a legit HW) by round 2 or 3. FYI, I fully believe the smack talk from Fury is to play up that "villianous heel" character (to market himself)...ala MMA star Chael Sonnen. As for Wlad & Vitali, they'd whoop Fury's hide (at this juncture). Fury needs to work more on his hand speed, defense and fluidity in the ring.

The Hock

Master
Fury boxed much better in his previous fight, but in this one he sensed he could just overwhelm Cunningham with his size. Which sort of played into Cunningham's "he only wins because he's big" mantra. But so what? He's a heavyweight only because he's big.

Actually the roughhouse style Fury used in this fight is probably his best bet against a Klitschko. Forget trying to outbox them (especially Vlad) and do his best to turn the fight into a sloppy brawl. Fury might just have the size to do some damage.

Before he gets knocked out.

werewolf

Hall of Famer
Adam Booth says Haye vs. Fury is a logical fight, could happen later this year

The press conference for that fight will be pretty lively!

The main thing though is Haye's big toe health. It wouldn't be right to jeopardize that. But an interesting fight if it really happens. The only reason Booth is thinking of this fight now all of a sudden is because he saw Cunningham knock down Fury and he thinks that Haye can do that too.

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/adam-booth-says-haye-vs-fury-is-a-logical-fight-could-happen-later-this-year-189094

Last edited:

TBProdigy

Guru
I think Haye's style is very suited for Fury. Tyson can be his own worse enemy at times, he has too much bravado for his own good, if he keeps his hands down and comes plodding forward in straight lines with his chin in the air, he will get koed. Haye has the speed of Cunningham and 2x the power. It pains me to say but Tyson is not a great athlete, hes a pure heart fighting man(which is very admirable but limited).

What Tyson needs to do use the same blueprint he did in the 6th/7th rounds against Cunningham. Keep his hands up, chin down, stop with the clownish antics and bring Haye into a war. If he makes it a dog fight he can go to places Haye wouldn't even dream of. In a boxing match it's a Haye KO 8/10 times i'm afraid.

Interesting to know is that Tyson does not have proper trainers, his uncle Peter Fury(a tough traveler/street fighter turned boxing coach) is his boxing, strength and conditioning and life coach. In the future I am worried he is going to be very limited/held back by a lack of experienced, knowledgeable, specialized trainers. His style and boxing fundamentals almost look amateurish and lackluster at times. It is a testament to his character, fighting spirit, uncles ingenuity and great family they have made it to the big stage. I recommend watching the videos on his Youtube channel, TEAMFURYBOXING, it's managed by Peter Fury and they upload all fight/weigh in/promo videos on there and also training sessions and long homemade interviews full of wisdom, experiences, funny stories and insights into their upbringing and adult lives. Not only do you get to see what a great positive, disciplined family unit they have, but also how charismatic and humble the three of them are(Tyson/Hughie/Peter). It's refreshing to see that they haven't let fame or fortune get to their head, in the Tyson Vs Chisora press conference, Tyson responded to Chisora who was only interested in material possessions, "I don't care about money, there's plenty of it out there, but accomplishments are more impressive to me, they are priceless", I have been a fan since and you can see he is a man of the word evidently by the way they upload all their fight videos free of charge on their channel.

Also I highly recommend you watch Hughie Fury's fight videos on youtube, he is a highly accomplished amateur with a great pro style. I am blown away by his two fights so far, he completely overshadows Tyson for me, head movement, solid jab, fast, great combinations. IMO he is the next big thing at heavyweight.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I managed to catch this fight and had no idea it was even going on. I thought Tyson Fury would do much better than he did, although he ended the fight the way I hoped he would. He needs to get in a little better shape, and become a smarter and more agile fighter. If he can do those things, he'll maximize his potential. With that said, I still don't see him in the Brothers K league. There was avfairly long part of that fight when I was legitimately worried that he would lose it, and he can be much better than that. To compete with the best heavyweights, he'll need to be able to completely dominate a fighter like Cunningham.

werewolf

Hall of Famer
Good post, TB. I agree with you about Haye vs. Fury. It should be inetresting though, the press conferences if nothing else. Maybe Fury can overpower him.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Fury can win the fight with Haye. However, he must hire a strength and condition coach. The guy who prepped Marquez would be an excellent move. Moreover, Fury is 608 has ability but must fight tall and long. Fighting this way and being in tip top shape registers diaster for a skilled albeit small sized fighter in Haye.

Fury needs to 86 some of his trash talk and focus on his conditioning and defense. If so, everything will fall into place. If not, I could see Haye putting him to sleep in round 4 or 5. Enough with Fury's BS, time to get serious and focus on the career.

amoeba man

Guru
I agree about Hughie Fury.He looks a good prospect he's already listed at 6'8 and 240 at 18 and seems to possess all the tools including very fluid foot movement.He could be one of the bright young stars in boxing.

Tyson imo will beat Haye though its obviously a dangerous fight as Haye is genuinely one of the more explosive punches in boxing across all weights but Haye will be punching up which takes away leverige and power.If Fury closes the distance and gets inside like he did with Cunningham then Fury KNOCKS HAYE OUT.Boxing fans on the forums are wetting themselves in anticipation of Haye blasting Fury out.Wont happen.Part of the reason Fury struggled in the early rounds v Cunningham is due to his trainer Peter Fury being denied a visa to enter the US.The black guy that replaced him dosnt have anywhere near the same influence or coaching skills of the senior Fury.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Fury can win the fight with Haye. However, he must hire a strength and condition coach. The guy who prepped Marquez would be an excellent move. Moreover, Fury is 608 has ability but must fight tall and long. Fighting this way and being in tip top shape registers diaster for a skilled albeit small sized fighter in Haye.

Fury needs to 86 some of his trash talk and focus on his conditioning and defense. If so, everything will fall into place. If not, I could see Haye putting him to sleep in round 4 or 5. Enough with Fury's BS, time to get serious and focus on the career.

Agreed!

Ambrose

Master
Fury vs. Haye

Haye is almost exactly the same size as Cunningham, their skill levels are par, but Haye generates more power. Haye leaps into his one power punch (the over hand right) which is his one and main threat. That is the punch that gave Wladimir worries and gave him a mouse. I told Wladimir to protect himself when jabbing by putting his right paw in front of his face behind his jab to neutralize Haye's overhand-leaping-lizard punch. But he didn't get the memo.

Cunningham used Haye's signature punch on Fury and tried to run like Haye. It didn't work perfectly. Fury is able to crowd smaller fighters and smother them. He may be able to do the same with Haye but it will be more difficult and he could end up getting knocked down too many times and lose. In a long fight of attrition he would beat Haye using that crowding style.

There is a better way. Fight tall like the Klitschkos. But what does "fighting tall" mean?

1) It means stop chasing the smaller fighters and let them come to you.

2) It means every time, and I mean every time, the shorter fighter comes in range of the big guns -boom- the thundering jab is fire off. The jab doesn't have to connect perfectly, it just needs to be fired each and every time the shorter man is in range.

3)The tall man doesn't just have long arms, he has long legs as well. His stride is longer. One step back puts the shorter man whiffing air. Watch Haye how many times Haye punched air against Wladimir.

4) When the shorter fighter puts up both arms in a guard -boom- fire the right off safely from counters and step back.

If Fury can learn these 4 basic tactics, he will become a boring but very successful boxer and can rule the roost for years like the Klitschkos.

werewolf

Hall of Famer
Good points, Ambrose.

"There is a better way. Fight tall like the Klitschkos. But what does "fighting tall" mean?

1) It means stop chasing the smaller fighters and let them come to you."

That's what Valuev should have done against Haye. He won anyway, but the boxing mobs wanted Haye to have the title so they fixed it up with the so-called judges, even tho the fight took place in Russia.

vox

Hi, lurked here for ages and finally decided to post. I'd agree with the technical criticisms of Fury, and there is no doubt that Fury has his stylistic limitations, but I'd attribute a lot of his ability to succeed against big name black fighters to the fact that he is of gypsy (Irish traveler) stock. British and Irish gypsies have a long, and continuing, history of settling family disputes with bare knuckle fist fights. These fights look crude, but the participants are not just brawling in a car park, they train long and hard in boxing gyms and get fully fit for fights that have no rounds and that can last for two hours, or as long as it takes for one man to fall. As a consequence of this travelers are completely devoid of any fear of ghetto thugs and are simply not intimidated by them.

I think this is true also for Russian and Eastern white boxers; they come from hard countries where the most dangerous and violent criminals are milky white. Fighters from these countries are simply not imbued with the myth of black physical superiority. Anglosphere whites, on the other hand, are psychologically primed to lose to black fighters by a mythos created by elites in white countries, and have a "rabbit in the headlights" reaction to black aggression, Fury just gave it right back; there's a lesson there for any white athlete that wants to succeed in what is still perceived as a black dominated sport.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Hi, lurked here for ages and finally decided to post. I'd agree with the technical criticisms of Fury, and there is no doubt that Fury has his stylistic limitations, but I'd attribute a lot of his ability to succeed against big name black fighters to the fact that he is of gypsy (Irish traveler) stock. British and Irish gypsies have a long, and continuing, history of settling family disputes with bare knuckle fist fights. These fights look crude, but the participants are not just brawling in a car park, they train long and hard in boxing gyms and get fully fit for fights that have no rounds and that can last for two hours, or as long as it takes for one man to fall. As a consequence of this travelers are completely devoid of any fear of ghetto thugs and are simply not intimidated by them.

I think this is true also for Russian and Eastern white boxers; they come from hard countries where the most dangerous and violent criminals are milky white. Fighters from these countries are simply not imbued with the myth of black physical superiority. Anglosphere whites, on the other hand, are psychologically primed to lose to black fighters by a mythos created by elites in white countries, and have a "rabbit in the headlights" reaction to black aggression, Fury just gave it right back; there's a lesson there for any white athlete that wants to succeed in what is still perceived as a black dominated sport.

Welcome to the site and boards Vox! Good 1st post as well.

According to several recent articles, it's looking like there's a good chance Tyson Fury will be fighting David Haye next in September. (Source; http://www.boxingscene.com/tyson-fury-on-haye-bring-him-on-i-want-him-next--66264)

I`m a *huge* supporter of Tyson Fury and actually he`s kind of a personal hero of mine. His last fight against Steve Cunningham is one of the most exciting fights Ive seen in years of watching this sport. Fury got dropped hard in round 2, but got up like a true champion, and by round 4 dominated the fight, using his size and mauling tactics, and knocked Cunningham out savagely in the 7th. After the fight, he sang a song in the ring and that was just bizarre but amazing at the same time!

Other than Klitschko`s, and maybe Bute and Sturm, Fury would be my next favourite fighter. He`s just awesome! I love the way he fights and I also love his attitude, he`s so confident and ****y at times. I think its awesome and I think its about time we had an Irish guy with this kind of confidence level, lol! His pre fight conferences are always a blast. He is among the best trash talkers in the sport!

David Haye, is likely the 3rd or 4th best heavyweight in the world behind the Klitschko brothers. Haye has phenomenal punching power, and as a Cruiserweight, he won all the titles, becoming an undisputed champion. Haye has the type of power that can knock a guy unconscious and change the fight with one punch. So Tyson Fury has to be careful about that, keep your hands up at all times and be a bit more cautious in the opening rounds!

Fortunately for Tyson Fury, he will have a huge size advantage and I do think that will show as the fight progresses into later rounds. Haye struggled when he fights big men, look at his fights with Klitschko where he was dominated and outboxed, and also look at his fight with Nikolay Valuev which was a very close and truly Haye was lucky to even get the decision. Another point in Fury`s favour is that in KOing Cunningham, he showed that he can catch a faster, smaller guy. I don`t believe Haye is faster than Cunningham (if anything I`d say Haye is slower than Cunningham), so I expect his speed to pose no problems to Tyson.

Tyson needs to fight a bit smarter than in his last fight. Be *careful* in the first few rounds, don`t go charging in with your hands down as he did in the Cunningham fight. Haye hits a lot harder than Cunningham and can knock you out, not just drop you. That being said, if Tyson makes it past round 4, I do like his chances in this fight. He can use his size, boxing ability, and power to catch and hurt Haye.

Tyson Fury is a very strong, big guy, and not only that but he has a great heart, good power, and underrated boxing ability. I think this is a winnable fight for him and I`ll be cheering him on!

To be completely honest, if I was handling Tyson Fury, I`d probably wait about one or two years, say 3 or 4 fights before fighting Haye or Klitschko but still, at this point, Fury can fight and this is a winnable fight for him. His wins over Chisora, Cunningham, Johnson, and Pajkic are all impressive up to this point, and that`s a very good list of names at heavyweight. Apparently both Haye and Fury stand to be making 5 Million Euros for this fight, so I guess that`s why they are proceeding forward with it!

Last edited:

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer

Welcome to the site vox.

Excellent first post and I'm hoping we see more from you.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Very disappointed in Fury. Haye offered him a 50 50 purse split and Fury declined. Fury wanted 80 20 in his favor. I hate to say it but he was scared.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Tyson Fury has become the laughing stock of the boxing forums.

Wlad offered him a fight last fall, but Fury's management turned it down. Price challenged him, he turned it down. Yet he often bad-mouths both Wladimir and Price. He insults them and calls them out, with no intentions of fighting them.

He was chosen be in the IBF final eliminator against Pulev, but he backed away from that. He accepted Haye's challenge, but now he's avoiding that fight with a ridiculous contract demand.

The sad truth is that Fury is just a big oaf who shouldn't be taken seriously. He was flattened by feather-fisted Steve Cunningham, that says a lot about his chin. He'll be knocked out whenever he fights a top heavyweight, that's why he's been avoiding them.

Ambrose

Master
Tyson Fury has become the laughing stock of the boxing forums.

Wlad offered him a fight last fall, but Fury's management turned it down. Price challenged him, he turned it down. Yet he often bad-mouths both Wladimir and Price. He insults them and calls them out, with no intentions of fighting them.

He was chosen be in the IBF final eliminator against Pulev, but he backed away from that. He accepted Haye's challenge, but now he's avoiding that fight with a ridiculous contract demand.

The sad truth is that Fury is just a big oaf who shouldn't be taken seriously. He was flattened by feather-fisted Steve Cunningham, that says a lot about his chin. He'll be knocked out whenever he fights a top heavyweight, that's why he's been avoiding them.

I can't disagree with any of this. And he's a big oaf that fights short leading with his mug. Oh well, there's plenty more heroes on the way...

The Hock

Master
Well Fury is of Traveler heritage and they think differently. No doubt he's got some con artist in his character, so he's probably working different angles. I do think he can fight. I love his jab when he uses it. He never seems afraid or uncertain in the ring. And he talks some funny smack. He just may honestly not feel ready for a Haye or a Klitscho. There are other fights he can make money and learn from so he'll be more ready when the time comes.