Toney v Peter

Hockaday

Guru
On Maskaev-Peter, I have to agree with Shogun and Right,
and go with Peter, who showed me something in this fight. Improved technique, a second wind for the last half of the fight, and determination, along with that power. He's younger, and maybe at this point, now that Maskaev has capped his comeback with a hard earned moment in the sun, the hungrier guy.

Whatever happens, Maskaev comes out a winner, just off what he did against Rahman. It's too bad Maskeav couldn't treat himself to a couple soft touch defenses(the way Ali and Holmes used to) before he goes in against Peter.

I see Maskaev and Peter trading bombs for three or four rounds, with Maskeav getting slightly the worst of it. Peter is warned several times for hitting behind the head. In the fifth, Maskeav positions himself perfectly for a rabbit punch. Peter takes the bait and and clubs Maskaev on the back of the head with with yet another illegal punch. Maskeav falls to the canvas and goes for an Oscar. The referee takes the bait and DQs Peter.

Maskeav takes the money and invests in some more real estate.

Those Russians are crafty.

Edited by: Hockaday

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Hockaday said:
It's too bad Maskeav couldn't treat himself to a couple soft touch defenses

Barrett, Beck, and Austin have all fought already this year or are scheduled to fight one of the other title holders.
smiley36.gif

white is right

Hall of Famer
I think a black version of the Three stooges is due out and all three will be in the movie........
smiley36.gif

JD074

Master
Can Maskaev fight another opponent, like Klitschko (who was rumored to be looking for a fight with Maskaev,) before Peter?

dkr77

Guru
Maskaev best chance of winning is to stay close to Peter and try to smother his punches while he works on the inside. If Maskaev can take it to the late rounds like he did Rahman he maybe able to pull off an upset.

white is right

Hall of Famer
JD074 said:
Can Maskaev fight another opponent, like Klitschko (who was rumored to be looking for a fight with Maskaev,) before Peter?
Yes if he does it before his mandatory date. I suspect if the money is good enough to fight Klitschko(in the spring), he may dump the WBC belt if Peter and his people force that fight. As Maskaev will make double for fighting Klitschko.

JD074

Master
white is right said:
JD074 said:
Yes if he does it before his mandatory date. I suspect if the money is good enough to fight Klitschko(in the spring), he may dump the WBC belt if Peter and his people force that fight. As Maskaev will make double for fighting Klitschko.

And if he fights Klitschko and loses, I guess we'll see a Klitschko/ Peter rematch. I bet a lot of the media talking heads will say that the "new and improved" Peter will beat Wlad.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Great news the WBC ordered Peter-Toney II. The first fight was so boring they needed to do it again...
smiley36.gif
Here are the details........

WBC orders Peter-Toney rematch!

September 26, 2006

The WBC Board of Governors approved by a vote of 21 to 10 the immediate rematch between Samuel Peter and James Toney, after their first bout which Peter won by split decision on September 2 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California. In a statement, the WBC said it has always supported the decisions made by its ring officials and it will continue to do so. This approval of a rematch in no way questions the decision of September 2.

The two reasons the WBC made this decision are:

1. First, for having been an extremely close fight which divided the opinions of the media and fans. This rematch will clear the air and we will have an official undisputable challenger to our new champion Oleg Maskaev.

2. The WBC believes that at this moment there can not be a more interesting heavyweight fight than this rematch. There is a huge public demand for this rematch and it will be very good for the promoters, as well as the prestige and the importance of boxing in the world.

"James Toney was No. 1 ranked official challenger and he had no need to fight anyone to gain the right to contend for the title," said WBC President Jose Sulaiman.

"By choosing Samuel Peter, the highest rated boxer adopted a top-level sports decision and the WBC wishes that the official challenger be the winner of this rematch so nobody has doubts about it. The WBC decided, however, that should a purse offer be necessary for this rematch, the purse will be divided 55 percent for Samuel Peter and 45 percent for James Toney.

"Samuel Peter spoke with me about his respect for the decision made by the WBC; he also stated that even though he wants to fight for the title immediately, he will accept the rematch to show once again his merits to contend for the title.

"The WBC invites all parties to kindly restrain from using a hard language in their public statements, since boxing is a sport for gentlemen and we all would like to keep it that way."

This rematch favors Wladimir klitschko TREMENDOUSLY.After Wladimir kos brock and maskaev gets past peter okello,Wladimir Klitschko will fight Oleg maskaev early 2007.(springtime)No other heavyweight can offer Maskaev the money that Wladimir is offereing.From what my sources have been telling me this is whats suppose to take place.Things change all the time but so far this is the deal that Klitschko/Maskaev have made in secret with their represenatives.

devans

Mentor
I just watched this fight and neither boxer impressed me. Peter was consistently beaten to the punch by Toney he seemed to have the better hand speed - even at 38. Peter would rock Toney with some punches and then lumber about taking a breather. If Peter lost a few pounds I think perhaps he could win a title, but he needs to get fitter.
I think Toney won the first fight, particularly with that extra point. I cant believe one Judge gave it to Peter by about 5 rounds. (Or six without the penalty deduction)

white is right

Hall of Famer
Weights are in Toney was 234 and Peter was 249. From what I have seen of Peter he looked like he shed baby fat. As for Toney; Billy Blanks fired blanks.....
smiley36.gif
Edited by: white is right