Toney v Peter

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
The deal is signed, these two will fight Sept. 2 in a TITLE ELIMINATOR!? WTF!?

What has Fat-Ass Toney done to deserve ANOTHER FRIGGIN' TITLE SHOT, even if he does out point Peter?

The winner of this fight will be a mandatory for the winner of the Rahman - Maskaev belt.

Boxing is a joke.

white is right

Hall of Famer
King wont let his guys get involved with Wlad or Rockhead because he could lose those titles. He will probably unify with Valuev and whitewolf then meet whomever is standing between Wlad and the 4 headed monster of Rahman, Maskeav, Toney and Peter.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Wow I just downloaded the Peter-Toney press conference and Toney puts a new meaning into the word jackass.....
smiley36.gif

Triad

Mentor
Here's an excerpt from Toney's interview. I hope he beats Peter so he can get a shot at his Russian!

---------------------------------------------------------
Los Angeles - As James "Lights Out" Toney continues to train for his upcoming September 2 main event heavyweight showdown with Samuel "The Nigerian Nightmare" Peter at LA's Staples Center, he continues to snipe and sneer at his critics who continue to harp on his weight and spread rumors that he isn't training. But he is not losing sleep over them or his nightmarish opponent. Rather he has visions of what the future holds with a victory.

Toney, sweaty and surly, briefly entertained - and summarily dismissed -- a group of reporters today following a closed -- and apparently rigorous -- workout at trainer Freddie Roach's Wild Card Gym in Hollywood.

Q: How's the training going, James?

A: What the (bleep) are you doing back here, man? I thought I threw your (bleeping) ass out of here last week. Like I said, no more training questions or I'll invent a new exercise: "The reporter toss."

Q: Did you go to the Rahman-Maskaev fight? What did you think?

A: (Bleep) no, I didn't go. I knew Rahman would lose. Everybody knows I beat him last March and softened him up. I would have kicked his ass if they gave me a rematch.

Q: Were you impressed with Maskaev?

A: I ain't (bleeping) here after working my ass off to talk about that (bleeping) fight. I'm focused on kicking Peter's ass on Sept. 2.

Q:So you're confident you can take care of Samuel Peter?

A:I'm always (bleeping) confident. I will win. First I must take out this slow, methodical "Nigerian Nightmare," than it's onto the Russians. I'll fight all three the same night. That's the only thing that (bleeping) matters now.

Q:You're taking a big chance going in against Samuel Peter with so much at stake, aren't you?

A:That's why they are calling the (bleeping) event "No Risk, No Reward." Interview's (bleeping) over. I will answer all your questions at Staples on September 2.Just "Wait and See!"

The WBC Heavyweight Elimination bout, "No Risk, No Reward" is co-promoted by Goossen Tutor Promotions, Don King Productions and Duva Boxing and will be the main event on the live "Showtime Championship Boxing" telecast.

Tickets priced at $300, $150, $75, and $50 are available at STAPLES CENTER box office

Hockaday

Guru
While I'm glad that East Europeans hold all four (four, let that sink in) titles now, I long ago stopped caring about what alphabet title is at stake in any particular fight. When they started having "interim" and "intercontinental" championships, I threw in the towel.

What interests me is the matchup. I don't rely on these idiot organizations to tell me which fights matter.

So the only elimination I care about is Toney being eliminated from contention by Peter.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Hockaday said:
So the only elimination I care about is Toney being eliminated from contention by Peter.

I wouldn't bet that Toney losing this fight will eliminate him from title contention. I think they are going to keep gving him title shots until he wins one, and he'll do that as soon as he fights a white belt holder who doesn't KO him, regardless of how lopsided the fight may have been in favor of the white fighter. Edited by: White Shogun

Hockaday

Guru
Wouldn't doubt you're right Shogun. But if Peter can inflict a sprawled out foot twitching soiling himsef concerned ring doctor working on him taken out on a stretcher and kept overnight in the hospital for observation knockout on Mr. Charm...maybe he'll fall two notches in the rankings.

And still get a shot. Because hey, Toney represents boxing so well.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Hockaday said:
Wouldn't doubt you're right Shogun. But if Peter can inflict a sprawled out foot twitching soiling himsef concerned ring doctor working on him taken out on a stretcher and kept overnight in the hospital for observation knockout on Mr. Charm...maybe he'll fall two notches in the rankings.

And still get a shot. Because hey, Toney represents boxing so well.

smiley36.gif
That would be one badass KO, Hockaday! I'd like to see this fight but don't have Showtime, although regardless I would not pay money to see it. My PPV cash is reserved for the white man!

JD074

Master
As much as I dislike Toney, he's at the end of his career; and while Peter is by no means a skillful fighter, he does have the power that can end a fight. So I would like to see Peter lose at every opportunity. On the other hand, I don't want to see Toney getting a gift decision against a white fighter either. Hmm....

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Toney was hit a few times by Rahman, but Rahman didn't seem to be putting a lot behind his punches. I don't know if Peter is skilled enough to back Toney into the ropes and catch him with one, but he will defintely hit harder than Rahman.

Nobody thought Roy Jones would ever get KO'd, either. I personally hope Peter knocks Toney unconscious in such brutal fashion that he will choose to never box again.

JD074

Master
Hey, Shogun. I didn't really make myself clear, sorry about that. When I first heard about this fight, I was leaning more towards hoping Toney would beat Peter, because I couldn't imagine Toney ever beating Klitschko. But I didn't think about the possibility of Toney getting the decision over Maskaev, Valuev, or Liakhovich, so I'm not totally sure now.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I'm used to foul language but even this made me blush.... The following is an excerpt from the predictably volatile press conference, held today, between heavyweight contender Samuel Peter and his next opponent, former world champion James Toney to hype their September 2 showdown at the Staples Center in Los Angeles and televised live on Showtime Championship Boxing. Also present were Peter's vocal manger Ivaylo Gotzev, and his promoter, Dino Duva, as well as Toney's promoter, Dan Goossen.

Today is also James Toney's 38th birthday.

Peter: Happy Birthday to James Toney. I'm ready to go September 2. I'm telling the media we're ready to do what it takes to win.

Gotzev: Happy Birthday to James Toney. James, don't worry about it. Someone's going to jump out of your birthday cake and knock you out.

Toney: F*** you very much Bitch. You telephone tough, bitch.

Duva: I was going to say happy birthday to James, but now I have two other words for him.

Toney: Nobody ever put me down and you aint gonna do it because you're a f***ing amateur. Everybody is talking. His promoter is talking; his manager is talking. You gonna see me this week, I aint no fake motherf***er. I will take your ass out.

Duva: Dan, will you translate that?

Gotzev: It's all talk from this guy.

Toney: You're a scared ****got, bitch. I'll come to your house, you immigrant motherf***er.

Peter: Nobody hears what he says because it's like he's got water in his mouth..........
smiley5.gif

White_Savage

Mentor
I tell you what twist will interest me.

Especially before the Maskaev Rahaman fight, we were hearing about how no "Americans" were holding HW belts, how this fairly scumulent gangsta wannabe was our "last line of defense" against a fairly gentlemanly Russian boxer. Now, if Peter wins, I wonder if he'll be annointed by the boxing media and the brothas as some kind of "Hope", even though he's from Nigeria.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
He will be the next chosen one.The media has constantly talked about Peter and how he is the "Nigerian Nightmare."They are just in love with these guys.It's some kind of sick affixiation with these black athletes.They must dream about them at night.I do believe that Samuel Peter will win this fight and probably in a knockout.That will also set up eventually the possibility of a rematch with Wladimir. I would lik to see Peter fight Lykovich.That would be a good fight.

JD074

Master
He was already the next chosen one, until Wlad dropped him down a peg. Of course, the hype machine will start up again if he wins.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I don't like either of these guys but I will kind of root for Peter.I'm just so sick and tired of James Toney and his big mouth.He is 38 years old,fat and yet he thinks he is the greatest fighter ever.He really needs to hang up the gloves.He has had his time and now it's time for the young guys to take over.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I saw a showtime report, they both looked fat and out of shape. Any of our boys would dispatch these clowns.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Interesting fight so far. Peter is hitting Toney more than expected, and had Toney rocked a couple of times in the third.

Through round 5, Peter has rocked Toney in the last three, to the point that Toney was holding onto the top rope. However, the ring side announcers on Showtime have Toney ahead 4 rounds to 1.

Round 6, Peter looks very fatigued. Toney's shots now appear to be stunning Peter. Press row has the fight scored for Peter, by one or two rounds, while the Showtime talking heads have Toney ahead by about four rounds.

Round 7 fairly uneventful, but still interesting. They're landing a lot of punches.

The skill difference between the two is glaring. Toney hits more often, with a wider variety of shots, whereas Peter's punches are fairly limited. But, as has already been observed, Peter punches much harder, and rocks Toney more easily with one or two punches.

smiley36.gif
Round 9, Peter has a point deducted for boxing Toney's ears! Toney was leaning on Peter on the ropes, and Peter starts popping Toney's head between his hands! Looks like Peter will definitely have to win by KO now, as even two of the press row scorecards have Toney comfortably ahead, while the remaining card has Peter winning.

Wow.

Peter wins by split decision: 116-111, 115-112, 116-111.

English is not Peter's native language, yet he was more intelligible and articulate than Toney. You couldn't understand half of what came out of Toney's mouth. He reminded me of that kid on Fat Albert, "I'ba wunnba duh fide-bah." Toney made a show of going after Peter once the post-fight interviews were over, and had to be restrained by security.

Sam Peter is now the mandatory for Oleg Maskaev. Edited by: White Shogun

white is right

Hall of Famer
The boxing powers that be wanted to get rid of Toney. If Peter won this fight it was barely. Anyway James Toney is slowly on his way to being Muhammad Ali, his slurring at the end of the fight was scary, he sounded like the kid at lunch that would eat peanut butter and try to talk about a tv show the night before.......
smiley36.gif

Bart

Hall of Famer
Shogun, how would Peter match up against Maskaev? Which of the two would Maskaev have a better chance of beating?

I didn't see White is Right's post until after I submitted mine. It appears Toney would have been easier to deal with.Edited by: Bart

Hockaday

Guru
Peter has straightened out his right somewhat, which I think is why Toney got hit so much. He was expecting those ponderous roundhouse punches Peter showed against Klitchko.

It was a good hard fought fight. I thought what the hell, it was close, give it to Toney. But I may have been listening too much to Al Bernstein. He called the fight like he was wearing a Lights Out T-shirt under his Tux.

Edited by: Hockaday

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Bart:
Unfortunately, I think Peter may KO Maskaev. Maskaev takes too many punches during a fight, and I believe Peter hits much harder than Rahman. I think Maskaev would have had a better chance at beating Toney. Peter hit Toney with a lot of punches last night, more so than I think anyone might have suspected. I think Mask would land more frequently than Peter, and combined with good power, might KO Toney for the first time in his career.

But, as we saw in the fight against Rahman, I won't be counting Maskaev out, by any means.

Hockaday:
Bernstein's calling of that fight was ridiculous. He was much worse than the HBO crew. I felt the decision could have gone either way, although two scores of 116-111 for one fighter and 115-112 for the other were too far apart to be accurate.

What's your assessment of the upcoming Peter v Maskaev fight?

white is right

Hall of Famer
White Shogun said:
Bart:
Unfortunately, I think Peter may KO Maskaev. Maskaev takes too many punches during a fight, and I believe Peter hits much harder than Rahman. I think Maskaev would have had a better chance at beating Toney. Peter hit Toney with a lot of punches last night, more so than I think anyone might have suspected. I think Mask would land more frequently than Peter, and combined with good power, might KO Toney for the first time in his career.

But, as we saw in the fight against Rahman, I won't be counting Maskaev out, by any means.

Hockaday:
Bernstein's calling of that fight was ridiculous. He was much worse than the HBO crew. I felt the decision could have gone either way, although two scores of 116-111 for one fighter and 115-112 for the other were too far apart to be accurate.

What's your assessment of the upcoming Peter v Maskaev fight?
I think it will be hard for Oleg to win, especially since he will older and a little more shopworn when they fight. Peter is beatable though. But if I was to bet this fight unless the odds were good for Oleg I would bet Peter.....Ps I scored this fight today watching a download of it and I had it 114-113 Peter. So it was real close, neither fighter really impressed and while watching this on my computer I couldn't wait for the fight to end.....
smiley36.gif
Edited by: white is right