Toby Gerhart

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
icsept said:
I prefer Gerhart not win the Heisman. The award has become linked with NFL busts. I would much prefer Gerhart succeed in the NFL without the hype, including any endorsements from ESPN. You have to be a douche bag like Ochocinco to get on ESPN highlights.

I will credit Kirk Herbstreit for touting Gerhart as a top 3 Heisman candidate early in the season.

icsept, the caste masters won't allow Toby to win the HT...even if he (keeps) earning/deserves it. IF he gets a chance at RB in the NFL, no doubt he'll succeed. However, I suspect the caste vermin will banish him to FB, as they've done many'a talented White TBs).
smiley6.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
<h1 id="article-title">Here's the link and article forty-four mentioned.</h1>http://bleacherreport.com/articles/291461-why-toby-gerharts-race-will-prevent-him-from-winning-the-heisman
<h1 id="article-title">
</h1><h1 id="article-title">Why Toby Gerhart's Race Will Prevent Him from Winning the Heisman</h1>

<div id="author-info-area">
<div ="user">
by
<div ="article-author-">
Bryan Kelly
<div style="display: none;" id="author-info-flyout">
<div ="inner clearfix">
<div>
<h4>Bryan Kelly</h4>
Scribe
68 articles written
113 comments written
34 fans
View Profile

</div>
</div>
</div>

</div>
Scribe
Written on November 16, 2009</span>
</div>
</div>

<div ="article-photo-wrapper">
93058662.jpg.11031.0_feature.jpg1258385892
Stephen Dunn/Getty Images</span>
</div>

It was news to meâ€"as it probably was to everyone else, including Pete Carrollâ€"that Toby Gerhart set the record for rushing yards all-time in the state of California as a high school player.

When you consider the outstanding running backs that played their
high school ball as native sons of the Golden Stateâ€"OJ Simpson, Jahvid
Best, Reggie Bush, Marcus Allen, hell, even Ken Simontonâ€"that's a
pretty staggering accomplishment.

So it should also not be news that this season, Gerhart's 1,395
yards are best in the Pac-10 and third best in the country, and his 19
rushing touchdowns are second only to Ricky Dobbs, who quarterbacks
Navy's triple option rush offense.

He's put up 223 yards and 178 yards against the (supposedly) two
best defenses in the conference, posting back-to-back top 10 upsets for
the former Pac-10 bottom dweller.

In that Oregon game, Gerhart rushed a bruising 38 times, then came
back the next week to pound USC for 29 more in the Coliseum, scoring
three of the Cardinal touchdowns in the 55-21 rout.

But none of that will matter. At least, not for individual
accolades. Toby Gerhart is a white football player in the wrong
position for white people.

Like the skepticism that voters showed towards the Iowa Hawkeyes
throughout the year, no one with a ballot thinks Toby Gerhart's rushing
statistics are legitimate. They're waiting for a game in which he
rushes for under a 100 yards to declare, "A-ha! He's a flash in the
pan! He's benefiting from a great offensive line! Not enough credit was
being given to Andrew Luck! Now, if he just threw the ball..."

Why? Because a white running back is called a fullback, or a slot
receiver who forgot to motion out of the backfield (and even then,
we're talking Wes Welker, the guys at BYU, and few else).

Because no one believes white people have the innate physical gifts
to succeed at the running back position like black players do. White
players throw, play tight end, punt, and kick; black players run, or
catch and run. That is the simple, immutable order of things.

And finally, because Gerhart's style of running is not fancy. He
runs powerful and upright and he hits the hole quicklyâ€"like a fullback,
except faster and with better balance.

What he doesn't do is dance around. He won't flip unless you hit him
right. Juking and spinning are pretty out of the question. He'd rather
knock you down than leap over you, and he'd certainly rather hit you
than run around you.

His runs will not make you go, "Oh, damn!" in that way Reggie Bush's
or Jahvid Best's could. They're rather like watching a prize fight,
where the boxer about to win is slowly stringing together a bruising,
deadly combination.

That his running style is of particularly low "intelligence" and
appears to demand less "skill" certainly doesn't help matters. Nor does
it help that he plays for Stanford, a historical bottom-dweller in the
Pac-10 that only recently began flirting with a winning record, on the
wrong coast.

To the voters, Toby Gerhart is, if I can venture the term, a "system
runner," a trumped-up fullback in a power-running game who's shown
uncommon speed and balance, but is nowhere near the "other" running
backs in terms of skill because of his race. This will be what prevents
him from winning the Heisman.

Now, I am certainly not saying the Heisman is biased against white
people. That'd be a tough argument to make, given that only two black
players have won this decade.

But Gerhart is still the victim of a subtle, persistent racism
against white running backsâ€"and against blacks in the quarterback
position, for what it's worth. And though this subtle racism can be
supported by NFL combines and Wonderlic tests, it harms those small few
who are the exception.

Donovan McNabb is probably one of the greatest players this decade,
and certainly one of the most exciting to watch, lack of Super Bowl
rings aside. But in those games, or stretches of games, where he's
struggled, it is his intelligence, not his ability, that is routinely
questioned.

We can fire the Rush Limbaughs of the sports announcing world all we
want (although is Keith Olbermann really a better choice?). The belief
that McNabb, or Jason Campbell, or Vince Young, cannot succeed because
they're not naturally bright will persist each time they face
difficulty in games.

On the other side of the coin is Gerhart. Heisman voters will be
quick to point out his 82 yards against Wake Forest in Stanford's 24-17
loss in week two, or his 96 yards in the Cardinal's 38-28 loss to
Oregon State.

If Gerhart was the Great White Hope, why didn't his natural ability help him rise above those struggles?

The truth is that every running back strugglesâ€"through
injury, but also just by being off, not seeing the hole, facing
defenses that have their "move" all figured out. But when Gerhartâ€"and
Stanfordâ€"lose, their hype takes a precipitous tumble.

Those aren't bad breaks in the pollsâ€"you think BCS voters had an
easy time voting the Cardinal ahead of their darling USC this week?

No, the penalty is more severe because respect for this program and this player was never there to begin with.

Gerhart's great games, even if they outnumber the bad ones 4:1, are
aberrations to a de facto rule: White people cannot play tailback at
the same level as black people.

I'd like to believe this is all wrong; that Stanford will win out
and flirt with the Pac-10 title, and Gerhart will sway the Heisman
voters to his cause once he storms Cal and trucks Notre Dame's defense
for 200 yards apiece, even with defenses gunning for him.

Maybe a rogue Heisman campaign has begun in the time it took to write this.

I hope so. Gerhart deserves better than our embarrassing,
stereotypical biases and our disrespect. He's not the Great White
Hopeâ€"I have no idea who or what that could beâ€"but he's a damn good
running back and arguably the most productive player at his position on
the year.

If a black man can win the presidency, why can't a white running
back who leads the nation in touchdowns be called the greatest college
football player of the year?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
No problem, forty-four! Happy to help.

From http://heismanpundit.com/

Nov
The HP Heisman Watch

Category: The HP Heisman Watch 2009 | 5 Comments

Here is the list of players who (right now) have the best chance of actually winning the Heisman:

1. He'll pad his stats some more against Chattanooga next Saturday, then will have a chance to clinch the Heisman against Auburn and Florida. On the year, he has 1,297 yards and 10 touchdowns, with another 25 catches for 225 yards and three scores. He is on pace to have 1,686 yards and 13 touchdowns by the time the Heisman vote is due...

2. Colt McCoy, Texasâ€"McCoy is playing well of late and is coming off a 181-yard, two-TD performance in a rout of Baylor. On the year, he has 2,628 passing yards, with 19 touchdowns and eight interceptions, while completing 72 percent of his passes. He is on pace to have 3,416 passing yards, 25 touchdown passes and 12 interceptions by the time the Heisman vote is due...

3. Toby Gerhart, Stanfordâ€"I wrote earlier last week about the player with the best chance of mounting a late-season run at the Heisman. It was a wild scenario dependent on Gerhart having a big game against USC. Well, he rushed for 178 yards and three touchdowns against the Trojans, giving him 1,395 yards and 19 touchdowns on the season. He's on pace to have 1,674 yards and 23 touchdowns by the time the Heisman vote is due (in 12 games, versus 13 for Ingram and McCoy). Gerhart is still a longshot, but he does have a shot. Of course, Stanford needs to win out, which would mean respectable wins over Cal and Notre Dame to give the Cardinal a 9-3 record. He would need for Ingram to wilt down the stretch, yet for Alabama to beat Florida, thus eliminating both Ingram and Tebow. Meanwhile, McCoy would have to underwhelm the rest of the way, while Gerhart closes with big games against the Bears and the Irish. Can it happen? Sure. Will it? There's the rub. Stanford needs to start making its case on his behalf, anyway.

4. Tim Tebow, Floridaâ€"Tebow had 199 yards and one touchdown passing, along with 26 yards and a touchdown rushing against South Carolina. On the year, he has 1,730 passing yards, 12 TD passes and four interceptions, along with 604 rushing yards and 10 scores.He is on pace to have 2,249 passing yards, 16 touchdown passes, five interceptions, 785 rushing yards and 13 scores by the time the Heisman vote is due. I think Tebow's Heisman hopes are dwindling fast and his only hope is to put up crazy numbers from this point on. Of course, the Gators need to win out, but he also needs for Ingram, McCoy and Gerhart to tank. I think that is unlikely to happen, but you never know.

If the vote were held today

1. Mark Ingram

2. Colt McCoy

3. Tim Tebow

4. Toby Gerhart

5. Case Keenum

6. C.J. Spiller

7. Kellen Moore

8. Ndamukong Suh

9. Jimmy Clausen

10. Jordan Shipley

TwentyTwo

Master
What a total pleasure in watching Pete Carroll'slook of helplessness on the sidelinesin Saturday's 55-21 beat-down! There was his supposedFuture 1st Round Fullback....playing Tailback instead....busting thru-the Trojan's defense like a wet-paper bag.....and to hear Carroll say after the game" I definetly limited him"....

Can Gerhart be a caste-buster?? When he's beingscouted by NFL teams saying we'd like to make you a "Fullback" in the upcoming draft...and Toby say the same thing, "no dude...I'm a Tailback"...if he plays Fullback in the NFL I'm gonna puke! As sure as Jerome Bettis was a "feature-back"...NO DOUBT in my mind Toby Gerhart can be a "Feature-Back" too....

The Heisman is more of a Team Award than an individual award anyway....if Stanford was in the Top 3 he might win it! No way Tebow should be ahead of Keenum either...JMO

Westside

Hall of Famer
It is important the Toby inform the NFL that "fullback" is not an option with regards to employment in the NFL. He must not give in or agree to this decades long BS.

The odds are against him, gentlemen. If he wants to make it to an NFL roster, like it or not, fullback is the only option. That just shows how pitiful the NFL's attitude towards whites has become.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Indianwhite, I disagree. Toby's skill set as a fullback would be extremely raw, as he's never been a blocking back, ever, so it would be a tough thing for a team to be able to justify the pick with the intent on converting him. Now I could see a team attempting a tight end conversion, but that will also be tough especially after Toby tears up the combine....

jwhite96

Guru
I also don't agree Gerhart needs to be a fullback. He is ,with the right team a definite starter. Even Mel "caste" Kiper has Gerhart as the third best runner in the draft as does NFL Draftscout.com and climbing. No white since ? had 2 games in a row running the ball against 2 top 10 teams averaging 200 yards a game and leading his team to upset victories.

The biggest problem as always is, the NFL has a nasty habit of twisting and spinning things on what role should a player like Toby Gerhart assume. He should be the designated runningback on any NFL team, period!!

white is right

Hall of Famer
Toby is a modern power back which is essentially the old running fullback. Ie Riggins, Brown and poor mans version of them in Foreman and Van Eeghan. Brandon Jacobs is currently the best example of this in the league.

When all these good things have been taking place with Toby Gerhart, why must some here still bash his chances and future potential? Toby has been doing everything right to this point. I in fact didn't even think it was possible for Toby to be considered top-3 on a high profile Heisman site. How long does it take for some of you to see a positive trend? We have some here saying Toby has "no chance," while even caste websites say he DOES have a chance! That is backwards. Look, for the caste system to fall apart, we need to encourage white RBs to go into the field of battle and test their skill against seemingly insurmountable odds. What if Toby was YOUR son? When you are having dinner with him after the game when he ran for 223 yards, would you tell him "Well son, you still have no shot."? How do you think that would make him feel if his dad said that??? There is no value in trying to "predict" future failings. It does us and the white athletes involved no service. Who the heck cares if we were right, but hoped we would be proven otherwise? That doesn't make you smart, edgy, or cool. It's quite simply putting down someone who is doing the nearly-impossible. Just think of it, of all the people in the world only a small few live in America. Of that only 66% of so are white. Only half are male, and only a small percentage are capable of or will do sports. Of those only a small percentage play football, and only a small percentage at RB. Of those very few will make any college team, let alone a team like Stanford. And then he's at the top of the heap of all running backs, white, black, Hispanic, or Polynesian. Just think of that for a second and absorb it for a little bit. Let's hope he continues to defy the odds at some point, instead of saying "well, he's made it past 99 barriers, but he'll sure get done in on 100."

Look, I know there's a million things that could go wrong. There always are in any situation in life. But why must we constantly contemplate and forecast that kind of negativity? If the chips land the wrong way, than so be it. It's not the end of the world or of the life of the people involved. There's nothing we can do about that. I know what happened to Luke Staley, Brian Leonard, Peyton Hillis, and Jacob Hester. Those situations surely burned me as much as they did you. At least the latter three can hope beyond hope that something changes. Remember though that those were different people, in a different situation, at a different time. Lets stay hopefully optimistic that this will be time when the stars are aligned, and everything goes the right way.

I'm hoping Toby is having good practices this week; is fielding all the attention from his team, family, friends, fans and the media well; is taking care of all his bumps and bruises; is feeling fresh, hydrated, energized and psyched up going into the game on Saturday; and runs like he's never ran before, scoring on multiple long runs, and poses for the Heisman after it. To hell with the 15 yard penalty, if he does that, the image will be repeated 100 times an hour on multiple stations, and will be the front-page photo Sunday morning of the San Jose News, the Palo Alto Times or whatever newspaper is for that hometown.

Go Toby! All the positive energy in the world is flowing towards you! Run like never before and show them what your made of!Edited by: Electric Slide

Alworth No.19

Well, I've been one of those who has deprecated Gerhart. However, after these past two games, in which he ran for four hundred yards against the two best teams in the Pac-10, I don't think it matters much what anyone thinks. Gerhart is getting done on the field in big, big way. There may have been good white running backs in college in the past few years (Hester, etc.), but there have been none like Gerhart. I think any NFL team that drafts him will have a hard time justifiying moving him to fullback. Last year Gerhart ran for more than 100 yards against 'SC, which had 8 defensive players drafted off that team, and would have had 9 if Mays would have declared. This year, while 'SC is reloading, Gerhart lights them up for 178 and 3 TDs. I think most football fans know that if someone can light up 'SC in the college, they can light up NFL defenses on Sunday. I think he is going to get his shot to be a feature back, especially if he can snatch the Heisman.

ElectricSlide, great speech! I'm positively hoping for Gerhart to achieve great success once he's drafted to the NFL. It's the NFL I'm pissed at, for all their crazy reasons and justifications in preventing a player like Gerhart from being the designated runningback. He's hands down a designated runningback, and if things went OUR WAY in NFL just this once, I'll be forever grateful. We should have a true starting white runningback in the NFL for once in this life.

Not just at runningback, but also a linebacker, a cornerback, and whatever playing position there is in the NFL.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Electric Slide, here, here, great post. I concur 100%.

Like I have said in several posts, Toby must not settle for a fullback role. If he does this I see the Hester situation all over again.

Kaptain

Master
One of the "sports reporters" on that ESPN show used his time at the end of the segment to pitch Toby as the leading candidate for Hiesman.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
ES, I don't think anyone "wants" to see Toby get the FB-shaft, but given the blatant racism of the NFL caste system...I think we're justified in our skepticism. Look at how the 6'6 super-athlete Matt Jones was shafted (& he's as fast, if not faster than Toby...with a 40" vertical). I just have NO faith in the caste masters. I don't think they'll easily allow their "sacred cow" of supposed black RB "supremacy" overturned without a major fight.
smiley5.gif

***That being said, Toby is far & away the best TB in college football and fully deserves to be starting at RB for an NFL team next year. I will fully hope/pull for Toby to get the Heisman & play RB in the NFL.
smiley1.gif

backrow

Hall of Famer
he won't become a fullback, as he never blocked in his life! he might get f**ked over into becoming short yardage back, but then i trust he would be able to show enough that someone eventually would give him Brandon Jacobs like role. that's what i envision for him.

PS Dixie, Matt J. is definitely faster than to by and probably 95% of Rbs already in the NFL, haha, however he has a black spot on his record and you can ill afford those if you are sporting the wrong skin color.

newguy

Guru
I have not seen Toby run this year as they have not shown many Stanford games on the east cost this year. I have only been able to follow his progress by checking the scoreboards and this website. I am looking forward to them making a bowl game so I can actually see him play.

I sure hope he gets a fair shot in the NFL. I would love to see another John Riggins type running back in the NFL. I had for all intense purposes stopped following the NFL with any interest since his retirement. For whatever reason, I have only been interested in watching teams in the NFL that feature white running backs.

I also think we should all give a lot of credit for Toby's success this year to Jim Harbaugh for making him the absolute focal point of the team, and not trying to split Toby's carries 1/3 with a change of pace type running back.

PhillyBirds

Mentor
newguy said:
I also think we should all give a lot of credit for Toby's success this year to Jim Harbaugh for making him the absolute focal point of the team, and not trying to split Toby's carries 1/3 with a change of pace type running back.

A terrific point. Many white runners have suffered the slow slide into obscurity that follows "splitting carries" with another, invariably black runner.

backrow

Hall of Famer
very good point indeed! and now a young white runningback, Gaffney, looks to be groomed to be Toby's eventual successor.

I saw Jesse Palmer of ESPN talking about how he's a legit Heisman candidate and an "explosive" player. I still can't believe how little coverage his last two amazing games are getting.

I was catching up with an old friend of mine whose girlfriend is a USC fan so he saw Toby play on Saturday. We were just casually talking about college football and he says how there are no Heisman candidates standing out and then it clicked, and I could tell he was shocked these words were coming out of his mouth. He says "they should give it to that big white running back from Stanford!" Then he said "could you believe it. A white RB winning the Heisman trophy. It will be like 1955 all over again."I would say he's a pretty typical DWF, so it seems to be clicking in the the mind of some.

After that comment I explained to him the caste system in football. Edited by: Fightingtowin