Super Bowl: Tragedy in Arizona

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
The catch by Tyree was magnificent. sport historian said it best - "Tyree seemed to will himself to hold onto the ball."

The scramble by Eli to make the throw was amazing in and of itself. I was really surprised they didn't blow the whistle and rule him down, 'in the grasp.'

James

Tired old White said:
Were all ther referees balck or just the ones I saw?

There were three black officials for the game: Referre Mike Carey, field judge Boris Cheekand Line Judge Carl Johnson. The other five officials were white. The umpire was Tony Michalek, the head linesman was Gary Slaughter, the side judge was Larry Rose, the back judge was Scott Helverson and Ken Baker was the Replay official.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
I'm one of these folks not shocked by the outcome, the Patriots defense was suspect. The prevailing thought going into the game was that if the Giants defense could put pressure on Brady that would be a key to victory. They really turned it on and swarmed Brady. I thought for sure the Pats o-line would take over the game in the 4th quarter. By halftime some of the Giants defensive lineman were cramping and eating bananas. On the Pats scoring drive in the 4th you could see that some of the Giants were gassed. Eli took over the 4th quarter, truth be known. Of course, he had one hell of an assist from Tyree. The Giants o-line deserves honorable mention.
Edited by: Quiet Speed

Tom Iron

Mentor
Yup, Welker sure put on a clinic out there. I'm sure the announcers were sick of mentioning his name.

As a Jet fan, I knew about Welker at Miami. I'll bet that's one of the reasons Parcels got rid of the coach and GM in Miami. He probably thought that anyone who would get rid of Wes Welker had to go.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Tom Iron said:
Yup, Welker sure put on a clinic out there. I'm sure the announcers were sick of mentioning his name.

As a Jet fan, I knew about Welker at Miami. I'll bet that's one of the reasons Parcels got rid of the coach and GM in Miami. He probably thought that anyone who would get rid of Wes Welker had to go.

well, he did have a Super Bowl record in catches, that counts for something!
smiley32.gif

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
backrow said:
Tom Iron said:

I read a story about Welker when he was signed by the Chargers. He ran for 102 yards in (4) kickoff returns in his first game and then was cut. Anybody know why he got cut? I remember we talked about it briefly here but still don't know the reasons behind it.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Welker got mad respect from Aikman yesterday. Aikman was saying how fast Welker is and Corey Webster has no chance to stay with him. Welker was pretty much the only reason the Patriots stayed in the game. His 11 receptions was a large part of their offense. Anyways noone can doubt Eli anymore.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
whiteathlete33 said:
Welker got mad respect from Aikman yesterday. Aikman was saying how fast Welker is and Corey Webster has no chance to stay with him.

Aikman is the fairest national football announcerafter Jim Nantz. Rarely engages in the anti-white stereotypes so often uttered by most of the others. Joe Buck is prettyobjective too. Edited by: Don Wassall

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Kaptain Poop said:
The Patriots are not infallible. For a great team their defense if just mediocre and their feature RB (Maroney) is below average. The Giants on the other hand have one of the best pass rushes in the NFL along with a couple of RBs that are much better than Maroney. They were smart enough to realize that putting constant pressure on Brady with lots of blitzes was the only way to do it. Not that I predicted a Giants win but I could see that it was definetely possible.

ThePatriotsalso have an average tight end (though the media loves to rave about Ben Watson), and throw in the fact that Moss was a non-factor for much of the playoffs and that leaves Brady, Welker, Faulk, and the o-line to hold the fort. The Giants successfully attacked the o-line and the New England defense wasn't good enough to compensate.

Alpha Male

Mentor
Welker plays faster than his average 40 time. He was burning the Giant's backfield. His first step-speed and cutting ability are first rate too. Don't these scouts realize how overrated these times are? I mean, one official measurement, on one-day out the year to determine a player's worth? Isn't possible that a player could have an off day?

Giant's tight end Kevin Boss made a big play that showed off his athleticism. I'd like to see the Giants run some double tight end formations next year when Shockey heals.
Edited by: Alpha Male

GWTJ

Mentor
Anyone here find it strange that in the last two minutes there were no booth reviews even though there were two very close plays. The Brandon Jacobs fourth and one run might have come up short if looked at by replay. He brought the ball forward after his knees were down. And how can the Manning to Tyree play not be looked at. It was the play of the game for both teams.

Teams can't throw the red flag with less than two minutes in the game so the Patriots were stuck. Any thoughts?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Ben Watson had at least 2 stupid penalties that stymied Patriot drives, but nobody in the media will ever mention them or how costly they were.

Bart

Hall of Famer
GWTJ said:
Anyone here find it strange that in the last two minutes there were no booth reviews even though there were two very close plays. The Brandon Jacobs fourth and one run might have come up short if looked at by replay. He brought the ball forward after his knees were down. And how can the Manning to Tyree play not be looked at. It was the play of the game for both teams.

Teams can't throw the red flag with less than two minutes in the game so the Patriots were stuck. Any thoughts?

Good points.It really doesn't matter, because after the game is over, the game is OVER, nothing can be done, the results are final. All questioning will be regarded as sour grapes.

referendum

Mentor
From a caste football perspective obviously a New England win would have been great, but the Giants are still a relatively white team in terms of white starters (which is quite sad really), so I don't view this as a tragedy.
The real story of the season for me was a) the success that several white receivers and tight ends had, and b) the racial makeup of the NFL's final four with four of the whitest teams on the field for championship week.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Kevin Boss showed he definetly has some speed. Anyone hear the comment about some people think the Giants are a better team with Boss instead of Shockey?

GWTJ

Mentor
Here in NJ I end up watching the Giants more than any other team. And Shockey has always had problems catching the ball. He just drops too many easy balls. Not sure how many people outside of this area know this.

Add in his age and the wear and tear and I could see a young guy like Boss replacing him.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
There seemed to be little rapport between Shockey and Manning this year, or to use the old cliche they didn't seem to be on the same page a lot of times. Maybe it would be better from a CF perspective to have Shockey move on and start for someone else, leaving Boss as the starting TE for the Giants.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
GWTJ said:
Here in NJ I end up watching the Giants more than any other team. And Shockey has always had problems catching the ball. He just drops too many easy balls. Not sure how many people outside of this area know this.

Add in his age and the wear and tear and I could see a young guy like Boss replacing him.

His age? Shockey is only 27 or 28. That is very young in this league. He still has a good 5 years ahead of him. He has great speed for a tight end but for some reason Eli doesn't look his way too much.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
There seemed to be little rapport between Shockey and Manning this year, or to use the old cliche they didn't seem to be on the same page a lot of times. Maybe it would be better from a CF perspective to have Shockey move on and start for someone else, leaving Boss as the starting TE for the Giants. 

defnitely. Tampa Bay could use a pass catching TE like Shockey, and for that matter just about 20 other teams in the league. Boss could develop into a great receiving TE, especially if jeremy leaves.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
"There seemed to be little rapport between Shockey and Manning this year, or to use the old cliche they didn't seem to be on the same page a lot of times. Maybe it would be better from a CF perspective to have Shockey move on and start for someone else, leaving Boss as the starting TE for the Giants."

I actually think Shockey would fit in great in GB. However, knowing their love of "affletes" at the skill positions, I'm not sure if he'd even start. Super-slow and ultra-unathletic Bubba Franks is possibly the worst TE to ever start for an extended period of time in the NFL. Seriously, I understand the guy was a 1st round pick....but 8 years and he's still playing like a bum!

Shockey would fit in well (and probably start) with almost 3/4 of the teams in the league. Even though I like Shockey's brash personality and energy, and think he's athletic and has great talent....I actually think he's one of the few white skill players who's overrated.

Then again, maybe it's the offensive system he's been playing in....hopefully he'll move on and allow Boss to start in NY.

foreverfree

Mentor
James said:
Tired old White said:
Were all ther referees balck or just the ones I saw?

There were three black officials for the game: Referre Mike Carey, field judge Boris Cheek and Line Judge Carl Johnson.

Yeah, and what's more, *I* didn't know Tom Petty had a black drummer.
smiley5.gif

John

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Thrashen said:
Even though I like Shockey's brash personality and energy, and think he's athletic and has great talent....I actually think he's one of the few white skill players who's overrated.

He's overrated only if the 'rating' has him top five in the NFL. Shockey actually ranked 8th among tight ends overall this season, and that's with missing two games. Of the top ten tight ends, he is one of only four who did not have at least one fumble.

Wonder how good he would be if he and Eli had more of this rapport that everyone is talking about.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Alpha Male said:
Welker plays faster than his average 40 time. He was burning the Giant's backfield. His first step-speed and cutting ability are first rate too. Don't these scouts realize how overrated these times are? I mean, one official measurement, on one-day out the year to determine a player's worth? Isn't possible that a player could have an off day?

Giant's tight end Kevin Boss made a big play that showed off his athleticism. I'd like to see the Giants run some double tight end formations next year when Shockey heals.
Welker like Chrebet and Largent can cut on a dime and not lose much speed. It almost makes their straight line speed irrelevant.

GWTJ

Mentor
Shockey always seems to be on the injury list. He drops too many balls and is only in the top ten because so few teams rely on their TE to catch a lot of passes. After the Giants, Colts, Redskins, Cowboys, Chargers, Chiefs, Broncos, Browns and maybe the Eagles, its tough to find a tight end that gets a lot of looks.

Atlanta used Crumpler when Vick was there because he was so pitifully bad at throwing to his WR's but now that Vick is gone Crumplers production is way down.

Being 8th puts Shockey at the bottom of the list of pass catching TE's.