Stanley Cup Playoffs

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Ouch, this one hurt!

Some games just hurt a little more than others and this one fits into that category for the Wings, who were 48 seconds from being one victory from the Stanley Cup Finals.

But, just like that, the Wings saw everything go haywire.

The Ducks' Scott Niedermayer scored a game-tying goal off the stick of Nicklas Lidstrom and then, in overtime, a turnover by defenseman Andreas Lilja led to the a game-winning goal by Ducks forward Teemu Selanne at 11:57 minutes 57 seconds. The Ducks won, 2-1.

The Ducks also lead the series now, 3-2. They can win the series Tuesday back in Anaheim

Lance Alworth

Mentor
Realgeorge said:
And yes, the Ducks have the most asinine uniform in the NHL. Their PR folks should be shot rather than fired

Thank God someone agrees with me on this. Being that I'm a hockey jersey enthusiast, and I collect all sorts of authentic and game worn jerseys. Their logo is just a stupid wordmark. At least the old logo was some sort of symbol and it pertained to hockey. The new one is simply uninspired avant garde crap. Not only that, but the wordmark itself is not even aesthetically pleasing. It looks like a smashed cheeseburger.

I will be sickenened if a team with such a crappy logo wins the cup. Detroit should have won this series by now

sunshine

Mentor
Ironic that Lidstrom's-the best player on the ice- deflection tied the game for the Ducks. He hit the post earlier. And he has been stellar but like baseball hockey is a game of inches.

sunshine

Mentor
I was in transit after the third period so I couldn't find the overtime on NBC when I arrived home.. After a few minutes I checked out VS network and lo and behold NBC dumped the crucial NHL overtime game for the pregame horse race. Yes folks horses are more important than white athletes. Nice job NBC-- way to build up a hockey audience.

Matra1

Mentor
sunshine said:
I was in transit after the third period so I couldn't find the overtime on NBC when I arrived home.. After a few minutes I checked out VS network and lo and behold NBC dumped the crucial NHL overtime game for the pregame horse race. Yes folks horses are more important than white athletes. Nice job NBC-- way to build up a hockey audience.

The horse racing got about 4 times the viewers.

This was being discussed at a "normal" hockey forum when someone mentioned race (not me I don't post there) in a way similar to Sunshine. Look at the hysterical anti-racists' responses.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=381792&page=3

Lance Alworth

Mentor
Matra1 said:
sunshine said:

The horse racing got about 4 times the viewers.

This was being discussed at a "normal" hockey forum when someone mentioned race (not me I don't post there) in a way similar to Sunshine. Look at the hysterical anti-racists' responses.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=381792&page=3

That post was mine

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Too bad for the Red Wings, they gave it their all but fell just short. The action in the third period of Game 6 was as good as it gets in any sporting event.

Anaheim vs. Ottawa looks like a great matchup.

sunshine

Mentor
It is a great match up and should be more exciting than the NBA finals--Pistons anyone-goog grief?
So the world is about ratings at a point in time never mind horseracing is a rich man's leisure sport that apart from the betting is not a sport regular people get that excited about. Yeh it brings in casual viewers and females. Meanwhile Buffalo fans were gathering around town by the tens of thousands to cheer on their beloved team. The whole city was involved and it brought in revenue you can bet your rear ends on that. Buffalo the city by the way has a rich history. But the media has trouble connecting the dots that yes hockey is very popular amoung the hardcore fans and in cities like Buffalo and Detroit. Check out the Ducks fans--in California no less.
Mind you it was the pre horse race too. So screw the myopicratings what about building on a great sporting event such as the NHL playoffs.
The game last night was ace.

sunshine

Mentor
Word is Bettman allows NBC to cut away in overtime games according to the contract that was agreed upon. One more reason why this SOB needs to be fired forever from anything. Here is a hint to the media. There are PASSIONATE hockey fans out there. A flower doesn't bloom without the proper conditions and care. Hell even I could at least improve hockey's ratings and media presense compared to the present twit in charge.
Coincidence or not but whitish sports like tennis and hockey generate a lot of revenue on the ground. And well Maria is an entire industry all to herself. But the media is afraid to let these sports blossom on TV--unless it seems blacks make a mark then it is promote it death. It is a shame. Thanks for nothing ESPN. One last thing hockey is not a niche sport . When the entire city of Buffalo lives and dies with their team this year niche is the last word that comes to mind.

cslewis1

Guru
sunshine said:
Check out the Ducks fans--in California no less.

What do you mean here? Are the people in Anaheim fired up, similar to Buffalo and Ottawa??? That'd be fantastic. It was a pleasure watching the overwhelming support for the Sabres in Buffalo. I was going for them.
An Anaheim/Ottawa series ought to be awesome though. Yeah, I am sure the ratings will be weak, but for hockey fans like us, the hockey should be intense. AND, there are some quality names too, superstars I dare say. So, the marketing dept will have people to promote.

Let's go seven!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It's kind of interesting that for a "niche" sport, the NHL somehow manages to have two franchises in the L.A. market and three in metro New York.

The only major difference between the NHL and NBA is in media coverage and attitudes. Otherwise the two sports are strikingly similar as far as number of franchises, home attendance, and excitement come playoff time. If anything, NHLfans seem more enthusiastic and passionate when their home team is in the playoffs than do NBA fans.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
In Detroit both the Pistons and the Red Wings were in the playoffs and the excitement is/was high for both of them. Maybe higher for the Red Wings but that's a personal observation. Also the Pistons have acheived more lately and are expected to get to the finals and maybe win.

The Wings have bowed out early the last few years so there was more pressure on them, and they blew it again. I'm really disappointed this year they seemed to have some good playoff pieces together. I think Bertuzzi was a disappointment, he was supposed to be a force come playoff time and he wasn't. Also an injury to one of the top defensemen hurt, but not a bad run.

I think the Pistons have a good shot. I know they are not popular on the site (and I never watch them myself--no white brothers) but they do play a good team style of ball and it works like it does in international play. They don't have a lot of selfish jerks either, maybe none, only Rasheed Wallace can be considered a true a-hole and he's really calmed down over the years.

C Darwin

Mentor
Game one of the Stanley Cup finals is half over. The announcers
have used the word "athleticism" once. Guess who they were
describing.
smiley11.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Man is Anaheim playing well, especially when considering how well Ottawa was playing coming into the series. Another exciting game to watch of nearly non-stop action and athletic excellence.

cslewis1

Guru
Game three is on NBC tomorrow. Can't wait!

Lance Alworth

Mentor
This stanley cup final has been a major league borefest. This is not what the NHL needs if they want to be taken seriously as a major sports league in north america

hedgehog

Mentor
In one flurry at the Ottawa net the T.V announcer managed to scream "OOOHHHH WHAT AN ATHLETIC SAVE" two times. On a scale of 1 to 10 these saves rated about a 5, nothing spectacular.

cslewis1

Guru
Lance Alworth said:
This stanley cup final has been a major league borefest. This is not what the NHL needs if they want to be taken seriously as a major sports league in north america

You're crazy, my man. Game three was fanstastic. I didn't catch the first two, but I've heard from many sources they were fantastic as well. THe game itself has definitely become much more entertaining over the last few years.
The fact that EVERYONE is saying noone watches, tells me there is something of a resurgence about to happen with the NHL. When the overwhelming consensus on any given topic is one way, you know it's wrong. Stay tuned, the NHL is back! and it's great to see.

cslewis1

Guru
KJV1 said:
In one flurry at the Ottawa net the T.V announcer managed to scream "OOOHHHH WHAT AN ATHLETIC SAVE" two times. On a scale of 1 to 10 these saves rated about a 5, nothing spectacular.

Yeah, but they got on Emery a couple times too for soft goals and leaving rebounds in play. They didn't mince words then. not sure who it was, olzyck maybe? I am sure whoever it was won't be around next year.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's been a top-notch Stanley Cup finals so far. Lots of great action and lots of skilled players on both teams to go with the all-out effort one always sees in the playoffs.

C Darwin

Mentor
The Anaheim Ducks will have to play without Chris Pronger â€â€￾ again. Pronger was suspended Sunday for Game 4 of the Stanley Cup finals for his forearm to the head of Dean McAmmond that knocked out the Senators forward and made his status for Monday night's pivotal game questionable.

Lance Alworth

Mentor
cslewis1 said:
Lance Alworth said:

You're crazy, my man. Game three was fanstastic. I didn't catch the first two, but I've heard from many sources they were fantastic as well. THe game itself has definitely become much more entertaining over the last few years.
The fact that EVERYONE is saying noone watches, tells me there is something of a resurgence about to happen with the NHL. When the overwhelming consensus on any given topic is one way, you know it's wrong. Stay tuned, the NHL is back! and it's great to see.

I posted that before game 3. Games 1 and 2 were horrific

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Lance Alworth said:

Why do you say that? It's subjective opinion of course, but I've foundall three gamesto be terrific -- great up and down the ice action by two highly skilled teams.

Lance Alworth

Mentor
Don Wassall said:
Lance Alworth said:

Why do you say that? It's subjective opinion of course, but I've found all three games to be terrific -- great up and down the ice action by two highly skilled teams.

Because Anaheim is a boring trapping style team and the final scores of the first two games reflected on that boring style of play

Realgeorge

Mentor
Don Wassall said:
I think it's been a top-notch Stanley Cup finals so far.  Lots of great action and lots of skilled players on both teams to go with the all-out effort one always sees in the playoffs.

Indeed! High-level hockey to thrill North American fans. Last night was Selanne's Big Assist, on highlight reels all over the world. Great to see a top-flight European star with a lot of miles on him make good.

I really like the Ottawa Senators, their players and franchise, but I can never root for them as long as they have their trash-talking pimp-dressing jerk in goal. It was GREAT to see the Ducks beat his mangy butt over and over. And I love Seven-game series, but not this time. Probably the Senators will have to sell off their older talent after the finals are over ... to the benefit of lots of other teams.

Go Ducks! Three games to One, let's win Game Five!