Stanley Cup Playoffs

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Just watched my Penguins win a thriller over Ottawa. Was pretty much already a must-win scenario, as the Game Two winner usually wins the series, and the Pens scored three goals in the third period after being dominated the first two periods to pull out a 4-3 victory, following a thrashing in Game 1.

Georges Laroque was a healthy scratch. Despite the euphoria over his presence since trading for him at the deadline, the reality is setting in that he has next to zero hockey skills. And he only fought twice after joining the team, even as Sid Crosby and others continued to get hammered on the ice.

Realgeorge

Mentor
Great win by the Penguins! This is a grudge match. Recall the Ottawa center Alfredsson berating Crosby last year for whining about receiving cheap shots. Whoever was right, the bad blood is real, and I think a motivating factor for Crosby. This series is a beaut, can't wait for the third game.

And poor old Georges Laraque. Will he get to play at all in the series? You don't need a bunch of dumb penalties in the first round of the Playoffs

hedgehog

Mentor
I saw Sid camped out next to the goalie with nobody guarding him, and I knew it was over. Seconds later the puck shot across the ice and Sid put it in. Did that shot go off of his blade? It looked like he hit it in with the shaft of his stick.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
On the replay it looked like it hit about 4 or 5 inches up his blade on the shaft.

It's interesting how the Ottawa fans are booing Crosby every time he touches the puck. Here's a Canadian kid who led the league in scoring at the age of 19 (the youngest player to ever do so and the youngest in any sport to lead in an equivalent category) and who is a perfect gentleman off the ice and a superbambassador forthe sport. During the game the announcerswere calling it "respectful booing" but I see more than a little of that good old white self-loathing at work.

Gi-15

Mentor
Well, it's sooo common on hating the poster-boy, the golden child when he is not on your team. But here in montreal we have other reasons to hate crosby( well, lets say its 50-50 about hating this little bitch lol ) He is totally billingual but he refuse to make french interviews for montreal's french-talking sports station, RDS.He played his junior hockey in quebec(rimouski) and was more than happy to talk to RDS reporters in french, but now that he is with the big boys it feelslike heis rejecting his roots. I know french is not his main language, but how much effort does it take to do a 1 minute interview in french? I just don't get it. All the other formerQuebec Junior Hockey leaguerswho learned french aredoing interviews with rds, hell even Mark Recchi whospent about 5 years in MTL does interviews in french for RDS. I Hate crosby,diving little bitch.

Don Wassall said:
Georges Laroque was a healthy scratch.  Despite the euphoria over his presence since trading for him at the deadline, the reality is setting in that he has next to zero hockey skills.

Yeah, as far as his hockey talent is concerned...he blows goats. Slow, poor skater and when it comes to puckhandling, he's got hands like cement...lol. But from what I hear, Laraque is actually a pretty personable character off the ice. But never-the-less, he's still taking a roster spot away from some talented player who actually deserves it. Laraque would be better suited for the talenteless "QMSHL" (The Quebec Major Senior Hockey League), where all the goons and other knuckledragging idiots end up going.

Gi-15

Mentor
its actually the NAHL buddy, since 3 years. Donald Brashear wasactually domminant during the lock-out year, lol.

Goons are always non-factor during the playoffs, unless they are Tie Domi. the redhead from ottawa is pretty good too

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Gi-15 said:
Well, it's sooo common on hating the poster-boy, the golden child when he is not on your team. But here in montreal we have other reasons to hate crosby( well, lets say its 50-50 about hating this little bitch lol ) He is totally billingual but he refuse to make french interviews for montreal's french-talking sports station, RDS.He played his junior hockey in quebec(rimouski) and was more than happy to talk to RDS reporters in french, but now that he is with the big boys it feelslike heis rejecting his roots. I know french is not his main language, but how much effort does it take to do a 1 minute interview in french? I just don't get it. All the other formerQuebec Junior Hockey leaguerswho learned french aredoing interviews with rds, hell even Mark Recchi whospent about 5 years in MTL does interviews in french for RDS. I Hate crosby,diving little bitch.

Don't hate him too much, he did grow up rooting for the Canadians as his favorite team.
smiley36.gif

Gi-15 said:
its actually the NAHL buddy, since 3 years. Donald Brashear was actually domminant during the lock-out year, lol.

Goons are always non-factor during the playoffs, unless they are Tie Domi. the redhead from ottawa is pretty good too

Yeah, I couldn't find an easy way to abbreviate that league, since the entire friggin website is in French anyway. lol. It's something like the "Ligue De Norde Americane Hockey", or some sh*t like that. But anyway, its a dirtbag league, and I read somewhere that idiot Brashear got paid $300,000 for just one season in that league during the lockout a few years back. In, my opinion, he's not worth $3. Theres tons of guys in that league who do literally nothing but fight. Off the top of my head, one of the more prominent goons is a guy who goes by the last name of Cote.Edited by: Ground Fighter

Gi-15

Mentor
Yeah, thats pretty much your typical backyard league, but with much more exposure, The quebec city team is owned by the no.1 radio station in town, so they get plenty of coverage and hype. People are paying to see hard-hitting action, and if there is not at least 3 fight in the game people are booing. Jacques Dubé( biggest goon in the league, the guy can't even skate 10 yard without a stick lol) get about 25 second of ice time and he use those 25 seconds to get into2 fight, and he gets ejected after that. Urban legend says that he is not paid if he dont get ejected lol. Some guys have talent though, but they are always real undersized guy, or awfully slow, or both. Some are east coast league material, but nothing more than that.

It is a crap league, butsince we lost our Nordiques we got to feed ourselves with what we can...

Lance Alworth

Mentor
Ground Fighter said:
Don Wassall said:
Georges Laroque was a healthy scratch. Despite the euphoria over his presence since trading for him at the deadline, the reality is setting in that he has next to zero hockey skills.

Yeah, as far as his hockey talent is concerned...he blows goats. Slow, poor skater and when it comes to puckhandling, he's got hands like cement...lol. But from what I hear, Laraque is actually a pretty personable character off the ice. But never-the-less, he's still taking a roster spot away from some talented player who actually deserves it. Laraque would be better suited for the talenteless "QMSHL" (The Quebec Major Senior Hockey League), where all the goons and other knuckledragging idiots end up going.

I'm a huge Penguins fan and I actually emailed Georges Laraque. He wrote me a detailed response back, and is the only Penguin player I know that does this. Being that he does seem like a pretty nice guy off the ice, I will say that he is a black athlete that I do respect.

Sure, he's a goon, but I've always thought that goons give hockey character somewhat that is different from the other major sports. Now, dont get me wrong, I hate teams that are based on straight up goonery (ala the NJ Devils) but I can appreciate good enforcer battles. The NHL playoffs are my favorite time of the year in sports because of the passion and grit involvedEdited by: Lance Alworth

Lance Alworth said:
Now, dont get me wrong, I hate teams that are based on straight up goonery (ala the NJ Devils) but I can appreciate good enforcer battles.

The Devils are not, nor have they ever been your stereotypical goon team. Stevens was a hard but clean player. Daneyko was a little rough around the edges, but not overly dirty either. Ok, so Claude Lemieux was a dirtbag, so thats one guy, big deal. lol. I love ya Lance, but sometimes I think you'll take any opportunity you can just to hate on my Devils.
smiley36.gif

C Darwin

Mentor
ocaamikedm11 said:
Playoff hockey without the Flyers sucks..
smiley19.gif

Who are these people? (From Left to Right)
doom.jpg
Edited by: C Darwin

C Darwin

Mentor
speedster said:
It's the Legion of Doom.John LeClair,Eric Lindros and Mikael Renberg.

Ding, ding, ding!!! We have ourselves a winner!!!!!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I thought the Penguins were still a year or two away from potentially developing into a dominating team, so can't say it's a huge surprise they fell so easily to the Senators, disappointing though it is.

Ottawa is deep and very talented at every position but one. Unfortunately Pittsburgh never was able to test Ray Emery much. Will be interesting to see how Ottawa fares from here. Maybe it's their year after so many premature exits from the playoffs.

Bear-Arms

Mentor
Unfortunately all the teams I rooted for were met with an early exit. I like to bring my good luck to all my favorite teams.
smiley36.gif

Realgeorge

Mentor
A quote from that great sportsman and Future Hall of Famer Jerome Iginla:

'Flames star Jarome Iginla got into the act, earning hooking and cross-checking penalties with 43 seconds left with aggressive stick work.

"It was really about getting some fights going at that point to keep our energy up and carry some anger into the next game," Iginla said, sporting several new stitches over his left eye. "We're not going away."'

I'm sure glad that Mr. Nigeria is in the NHL. What a class act. You can't beat a superior team by playing ice hockey, so we'll degenerate the game into a cheap brawl.

Bear-Arms

Mentor
How many people believe Vancouver will beat the Ducks? Anybody?

Do the Rangers stand a chance against Buffalo?
Uh... I don't think so.

Can anyone beat Brodeur?
Yeah, Buffalo.

Will the Sharks take a bite out of the Red Wings?
I honestly don't know but I'm leaning toward the Sharks.

Ducks/Buffalo

I'm sure glad that Mr. Nigeria is in the NHL. What a class act. You can't beat a superior team by playing ice hockey, so we'll degenerate the game into a cheap brawl.

Brett Hull called him an embarrassment.