South Africa World Cup 2010

Europe

Mentor
England should start 7 Sun. and if Green didn't have that mistake, it would be 8 and should be 9 with Cole in place of Defoe.

Europe

Mentor
Boeteng is the guy that knocked Ballack out.

Was Howard yelling at himself like he does his defenders? No histrionics from him since he made the mistake.

waterbed

Mentor
east asians are the only play only with east asians.The half german Boateng scored for Ghana.Cameroon had also 2or 3 half white players, Nigeria a half russian, in the past they had only blacks.

GeneralLee

What do you all think of Argentina I think they have most a white team and that team I feel is the team to beat. They play Mexico I hope Argentina crushes them. I like the way Diego Miradonna dressed down the Legindary Pele (Ha!! Ha!!) I thought that was Great!!!!

Matra1

Mentor
Altidore had a chance to win it for the US but he started to go down - hoping for a penalty - then changed his mind leaving himself off balanced. His off balance shot went wide of the goal. All in all the US team were a disappointment.

foobar75

Master
The loss to Ghana is a bummer for sure. The entire team did not play very well, so we can't just blame the affletes, it was a collective effort. There were defensive lapses on both goals given up, and several good chances wasted on offense.

I cannot believe they dug themselves a hole twice in the same game, first giving up an early goal at the beginning, and then another early goal at the start of overtime. The margin of error at this level of competition is very slim, so you can't afford these types of mistakes.

At least I can still root for Argentina, Uruguay, Germany, Spain, and Netherlands, so the World Cup is far from over.

j41181

Master
Ghana is still a longshot, and longshots are often "fan" favorites.
They should eventually bow to a "traditional" power.

j41181 said:
Ghana is still a longshot, and longshots are often "fan" favorites.
They should eventually bow to a "traditional" power.
smiley32.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It seems to methat the 2010 World Cup is getting much more coverage and hype in the U.S. media than previous ones. Anyone agree or disagree, and if you agree what do you think are the reasons for it? It's not because soccer has grown more popular in the U.S. over the past four years.

Don Wassall said:
It seems to me that the 2010 World Cup is getting much more coverage and hype in the U.S. media than previous ones.  Anyone agree or disagree, and if you agree what do you think are the reasons for it?  It's not because soccer has grown more popular in the U.S. over the past four years.

I agree. The "sports" channels are giving it more hype than ever before. I have posted before my opinion that nowadays we are TOLD who our favorite athletes are supposed to be, rather than choosing them for ourselves. We are supposed to look upon the World Cup as the year's top sporting event whether we want to or not.

Europe

Mentor
Don Wassall said:
It seems to me that the 2010 World Cup is getting much more coverage and hype in the U.S. media than previous ones.  Anyone agree or disagree, and if you agree what do you think are the reasons for it?  It's not because soccer has grown more popular in the U.S. over the past four years.

I don't know if it's been getting more. I don't read the sports sections of papers anymore. If it is, it could be because they have the SA angle with Apartheid. Also, the US team was expected to be pretty good and they did get out of the group stage.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Findley and Altidore were terrible as strikers.
They just don't have the skills.
Americans need to learn that skill is as important as speed (in all sports).

Highlander

Mentor
Don Wassall said:
It seems to methat the 2010 World Cup is getting much more coverage and hype in the U.S. media than previous ones. Anyone agree or disagree, and if you agree what do you think are the reasons for it? It's not because soccer has grown more popular in the U.S. over the past four years.
I think the media hype is primarily because Africa is the host Continent and South Africa is the host country...the Mandela angle, the "evils" of Apartheid, Whites, etc. Plenty of stories there for ESPN to cover with their usual Cultural Marxist spin. Also, the hype around the "Africa rising" (of African national soccer teams), even though the same thing is happening in Eastern Europe. I certainly don't remember this kind of hype in Germany four years ago.

Soccer is very popular in almost every other part of the World and many of these people are now emigrating to the US, perhaps causing a change in sports viewership. There are also one or more cable/satellite channels now that play the English Premier League, Spanish League, Italian League, etc. than four years ago. I've been following the English Premier League more since I've been to Thai a couple of times. I became interested in it while visiting there. It's very popular and most of them (especially the girls) root for Manchester United because Beckham used to play for them. The vast majority of them are rooting for England to win the World Cup for the same reason. Too bad the England team looks more like Chelsea or Arsenal than Manchester United or Liverpool now. I often wonder if they will keep rooting for them in the future if they become as alien as the French team.
Edited by: Highlander

Highlander

Mentor
jacknyc said:
Findley and Altidore were terrible as strikers.

They just don't have the skills.

Americans need to learn that skill is as important as speed (in all sports).
What's skill have to do with it when they have the correct shade of melanin? That's all that matters.

</span></span></span>I agree, though, they looked outmatched and not very skilled, particularly Findley. Maybe they can get Lebron to quit basketball and try out for the soccer team. That will get them to the next round at least.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Jozy Altidore, according to several "reporters" most notably Alexi Lalas and Tim Colishaw(the ones I remember) said Altidore was the best player in the Algeria game. Really? He missed a goal that your average soccer player could've easily put in. I didn't get to see the Ghana-U.S. game (I had a baseball tourney), but from what you guys say, Altidore sucked again today?

foobar75

Master
I'm not the biggest soccer expert, but I have been following the sport (mostly European soccer and all the major international tournaments) for many years. Someone else with better knowledge can chime in here, but here's my take on Team USA, based on what I saw in this World Cup:

The team has 2 main strengths and 2 weaknesses. The strengths are the goalkeeper Tim Howard and the midfield, the weaknesses are the defense and the strikers.

Tim Howard is solid, and one of the best goalkeepers in the world. In my opinion, of the 5 US goals given up in this World Cup, he was perhaps at fault for just one, the first goal against Ghana in Saturday's match. Even that goal probably does not get scored if black defender Tim Clark doesn't make a huge blunder to turn the ball over and start Ghana's attack which lead to the score. At 31, I think Howard has a few more years to man the goal for USA, leading up to the 2014 Cup.

Speaking of those 5 goals given up, that's primarily because the US defense is not up to par at this world class level. The unit cannot measure up to the likes of Argentina, Germany, or heck, even Ghana plays good defense.

I saw many moments of defenders falling asleep, misreading balls, bad spacing (the 2nd Ghana goal), etc. I have no idea how the defense needs to be improved, other than just continuing to learn and gain experience. Coaching might also be part of it, along with a general lack of talent. Is there more youth coming thru the college and MLS ranks?

The US midfield is as good as any in the world with players like Donovan, Dempsey, and Bradley. Those 3 scored all 5 US goals, as well creating pretty much all the opportunities (as midfielders should), but you need to some help from your strikers on offense. You cannot rely almost entirely on your midfield to carry all of your offense.

This brings us to the strikers, I guess in some ways, the glamour position for most teams. The caste clowns will point out that this position requires speed and athleticism, so there's the obvious preference for blacks here. But Altidore and Findley pretty much sucked against Ghana and wasted some good chances. The problem is, their speed is useless. They do not have the required skills to convert those precious opportunities to goals. Compared to players like Ronaldo, Messi, or Klose, I saw the US strikers lost in front of the goal, bumbling away what appeared to be sure scores. There's a reason why the world's best strikers are almost exclusively white. They combine all the required skill-sets, which few blacks can considering their overall lack of hand-eye coordination as one example.

Anyway, these are my impressions of Team USA at this time. If there's a push to get the team more like France, I think that will be a virtual guarantee that the team will suffer in the coming years.

Expect to hear more moronic commentary from the so-called analysts and other media people on how the LeBrons, TOs, and Rondos of the world would have made a difference if they were playing.
smiley5.gif

Kaptain

Master
Don Wassall said:

It's in South Africa. The media can push its multi-cultural agenda. At the same time they can pretend that the white genocide in South Africa doesn't exist and the South Africa has never been a better place to live than now. We're celebrating bongo dumbs and primitive jungle horns when we should be boycotting the whole event in a country that openly has a white genocide policy.

Highlander

Mentor
Germany just scored again, making it 4-1 now. Nice footwork and passing by the Germans. Very team-oriented and unselfish play. On the last goal, they passed it around one of England's black defenders to another German that kicked it passed England's black goalie.

So far England's black goalie has allowed 4 goals this game alone. Remember when their White goalie, Green, allowed that one goal against the US and has not played since? It reminds me of the NFL or College Football where a White player is on such a short leash that if he makes one mistake he's instantly removed and either demoted or never plays again. His black replacement can then bust assignment after assignment before his leash is pulled in, if ever.

Highlander

Mentor
Germany wins 4-1. All of the goals, from both teams, were from White players.