Shane Crawford

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
I know we've talked about Shane Crawford before - last year he ran 10.33(?) as a HSer! - but I can't find the previous thread.
Anyway, he is at Purdue now, and finished 2nd today in the 60m (same time as the winner) at the Big 10/SEC challenge. He beat some big names from the SEC.
Some guys don't make the transition well from HS to college, but it looks like he's not one of them.

albinosprint

Mentor
time?

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Shane ran 6.74 today to win a meet in Indiana. A good time, and 2nd place was 6.95!
Hope to see him lower his times with some better competition.

February 20, 2008

Olympic & Amateur Sports: David Woods
Boilermakers' freshman runners pick up speed quickly
February 20, 2008

Must be Year of the Freshman at Purdue.
Not just in basketball, either.
In Josh Hembrough and Shane Crawford, the Boilermakers have two of the premier freshmen in indoor track and field.
Hembrough, Grand Rapids, Mich., is the fastest freshman in the NCAA in the 60-meter hurdles and 10th overall. Crawford, last year's state sprint champion from Winamac, is the fourth-fastest frosh in the 60-meter dash.
Coincidentally, they were born one day apart in June 1988.
"Sometimes I have to pinch myself to see if these kids are really for real," Purdue coach Jack Warner said. "They're really dedicated to being the best they can be."
Hembrough is deaf. He has an implant enabling him to pick up vibrations, so he can react to the starting gun. Purdue has a program for students with hearing impairments. That, and the Boilermakers' recent run of hurdlers, influenced him to come to West Lafayette.
The 6-5 Hembrough twice set national indoor records last year over 42-inch hurdles, compared with 39-inch high school barriers. Warner said high school hurdles were actually too short for Hembrough, preventing him from reaching optimum form.
Warner said Crawford "hasn't even touched the tip of what he can do yet." The sprinter's best time is 6.70 seconds, tying the school record, and 6.66 likely will be needed for the NCAA Indoor Championships.
"He's always in the mix," Warner said. "When he's racing head-to-head, he's always right there."
Crawford developed a leg cramp in a meet at Iowa State last week but is expected to be ready for the Big Ten Indoor Championships on March 1-2 at Wisconsin. For the outdoor season, his aim is to qualify for the U.S. Olympic Trials.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I love both of these guys. I read an article about Shane Crawford while he was still in high school. He was so serious about sprinting that he was already watching his diet like only a dietician would. He wants to be the best. This kid could be special as he is already running very fast as only a freshman.

Hembrough has olympic talent in my opinion. He also is an inspiration to all of us. Good luck to both of these Purdue Speedsters this season.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I'm looking forward to the 2009 indoor/outdoor season. Shane Crawford is fit and focused. This kid has a head on his shoulders. Shane only concentrates on track unlike alot of white sprinters who have grown up playing multiple sports. Almost everything about this kid just screams winner. He has a myspace page as well and he just blows people away in some of the pictures. I wish him the best of luck this year. We need a legitimate threat over 100/200 meters to root for that is American. It is so rare to find a white american sprinter because of the mental warfare against all whites in sprinting. Good luck Shane. We are rooting for youhere are Caste and I have a feeling that you are in for a big year!
smiley32.gif

kre08

Guru
In his first meet of the season Shane easily won the Indiana Invitational 60 meter dash. His time of 6.73 already gives him a provisional Division I qualification. To give you an idea of how good Shane's time was at this point in the season his nearest opponent in the finals ran a 6.81, and he was a second team all big 10 sprinter last year. Very encouraging
smiley1.gif

white lightning

Hall of Famer
So far so good. Way to go Shane! I see him running the the low 6.60 range within a couple of months. I'm even more anxious to see what he does outdoors.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Shane led all qualifiers at the Big 10 60m prelims, with a very good time of 6.67. That's a full tenth of a second ahead of the next best time.
Let's see what he does in the final tomorrow!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Way to go for Insane Shane! This kid is the best sprinter Purdue has ever had. I just want his indoor success to translate into outdoors success this spring. Good luck tommorow in the finals Shane! Show them what your made of!

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Shane won the finals today in 6.66.
A new personal best, and best time in the Big 10.
Congrats to Shane!
Looking forward to what he will do outdoors this season.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
What a performance in the finals. I am very excited to see what he can do outdoors. His biggest problems have been the nagging injuries. He seems to have finally turned the corner and he looks fit & healthy. This is such great news. I have had high hopes for this kid since he ran a 10.33 back in high school. Shane is only a junior so he has one more full year of college which should be exciting. Let's hope he can build off this outstanding indoor season and continue to take it to the next level outdoors.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Here is a nice pic of Shane. Congratulations to the winner of the Big Ten Conference!

4527602.jpeg
Edited by: white lightning

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Shanes 60 time is good for top 10 in the USA. This win should get him invited to the NCAA National Indoor Championships in two weeks. Good luck Shane!

StarWars

Mentor
Nice. I hope more whites do the 60 in college that run the 55 now because there are plenty (in the dozens, literally) that could get into the 6.6s. In any state you can find a couple sub 6.5s that are white. Christopher McConnell last I checked is the fastest in the nation with 6.35 in the 55. Not to mention the 6.57 60 in highschool by Casey Combest that is still the US record (he ran against and beat Tyson Gay).

It is ridiculous how people talk about how slow whites are despite whites being the second fastest race and almost tied for the fastest, yet nobody mentions why negroes suck at the other 99% of sports whites own in. High jump, decathlon, javelin, pole vault, shot put, hammer throw, weight throw, mid distance, long distance (I am not talking about E. Africans that benefit from altitude although they do have good "slow twitch" genes). We are probably equal to blacks in the long jump and 400 meter. I'm not even going to mention soccer, rugby, weightlifting, tennis, swimming, surfing, bobsledding, snowboarding, and all the other international sports not affected by a strict caste system.

Honestly, we shouldn't even need to have this conversation whites are by far the best athletes I just say this to wake up extreme DWFs.

Rodney King

Shane looks like he went on some special vitamins, which is probably the reason why he has added a good 10 to 15 pounds this year. I hope he did it the right way, but it looks like he succumbed to the darkside.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Shane always had a muscular build. Nothing out of the ordinary, and certainly no dramatic change that would indicate any 'special vitamins'.
He was a top top high school sprinter and now is getting past some injuries, and hopefully on his way to some good times.

StarWars

Mentor
If he went to LSU or Florida State I'd be suspicious but he goes to freakin' Purdue, so I highly doubt he cheats.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
He's no more muscular than the guy next to him in the photo, or any of the other college sprinters.
Anyway, Rodney was just trying to stir things up. I don't think he even believes half the things he said.
It's best just to ignore him, but I didn't want his comment to be the last comment on the Shane Crawford discussion.

StarWars

Mentor
Congrats on his 6.66 60 meter! We've been waiting for a time like that out of him since he was about that speed in highschool. Maybe he can do better than Mike Myer did last year.

So will he and LeBlanc be at the National Championships?