Sept. 11...

I'm a little surprised that no one started a "Sept. 11" thread, being that it is the five year anniversary of the attack. I figured I might as well be the one to start it, so here it is.

I live right across the river from Manhattan, so when this nightmare occurred five years ago, it hit pretty close to home, literally. I know a lot of people who work(ed) in that region of the city, and it was really nerve-racking when your trying to call these people to see if they're ok, and no ones answering their cell because every line is busy. Luckily, no one I knew was killed.

The day started off with my 8 a.m. class at school, and I remember someone coming in to our room telling us what happened, and that our university was closed until further notice. Before anyone even mentioned what race of people were behind this, I pretty much put two and two together and got my answer.

People in my class were overtaken by a mixture of emotions. Some were in tears, others were ready to go to war in the streets, but all of us were in total shock. The ride home from school felt like the longest trip I have ever taken, both literally and figuratively.

I hadn't seen anything on t.v. yet, so my mind was incredibly screwed up by the image in my head of the towers not existing anymore. Just thinking of all the carnage that was going on as I drove home really disturbed me in way that I had never felt before. What made it worse was the reports on the radio that people were jumping to their death to avoid burning alive. Thats probably what struck me the hardest.

I started this thread for exactly this reason, to post your thoughts and recollections of where you were when this event happened and what you were feeling. Everyone feel free to share your thoughts.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
It was a hard day for me too.I remember being woken up from bed and turning on my tv.The one tower had already been hit.I was watching the tv.I tried calling my family and friends.Then before I knew it,the unthinkable happened and the 2nd tower was hit.It was a really scary moment.They talked about the other planes and I knew that this would change things forever.I had to work that day but all things came to a halt.My job was even in jeopardy for a while as all of the planes had to stop flying.Anyways,my thoughts and prayers go out to all involved on this day five years ago.I hope we never have to witness another tragedy of that proportion again.My fear though is that we will see many more as the terrorism grows worldwide.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I had just gotten out of a class as an undergraduate and sat down in my car to listen to a sports show on 560AM out of Memphis. I heard Peter Jenning's voice and thought it was some kind of joke that the hosts were pulling. They were always doing something to throw people off. Anyway, he paused and said "Oh my God, the second tower is falling." I knew then it was no joke, and the reality of it all began to sink in. I ran over to the student union and watched it for a few minutes and then went to my next class which was quickly dismissed. My cousin and I went to one of his high school classmates house and watched it on TV for quite a while. It was a strange feeling that day, probably the only time I felt really unsafe, as if anything could happen at anytime. The drive home was strange too. I knew by that time that many things would change forever because of it. It was definitely a marker in the timeline of my life.

LabMan

Mentor
Life in the U.S. will never be the same,I watched the event live,and immediately thought,controlled demolition......!

As always,much solid coverage can be found at www.anu.org.

GWTJ

Mentor
This is my first time ever that I am writing about where I was on 9/11. I was working 3:00pm to 11:00pm at the time and was home when my son came into my room and told me a plane had hit the Trade Center. From 9:00am on I watched just as shocked and stunned as everyone else. It never occurred to me to check on family members because none of my family works or lives in NY or does any traveling by plane.

I was working in Newark, NJ at the time in the network center of the P.S.E. & G. building. Driving in to work on the NJ Turnpike was as surreal as it gets. The smoke from NY City, not a plane taking off or landing at Newark International, and the jet fighter I saw streaking by confirmed the images I had been watching on TV that morning.

When I got to work a TV had been set up and everyone was watching and talking. At 3:30pm I got a phone call. It was my dad, he didn't sound right, he said "I've got some bad news, you're sister was on the plane that hit the Pentagon, she's gone." Those were the only words he was able to say. His friend got on the phone to tell me more but I was already getting knots in my stomach. I couldn't help myself. I started to break down and a co-worker asked me what was wrong. I managed to repeat what my dad said and then I left the room. I had never experienced true grief, until that moment.

My sister, who spent six years in the Navy and now worked for a defense contractor in Virginia, was going to Las Vegas for a convention. It was the first time she had ever had to travel on her job. She was scheduled to take the flight right before Flight77(the one that hit the Pentagon). But she had some sort of ticketing problem and by the time it was resolved she had been bumped one flight later onto Flight77.

Two days later our family and friends were in Virginia for her bodyless service. I have seen many military services on TV but to really be in one is an extremely emotional experience. When they folded the flag and played taps it was too emotional for words.

The FBI came by later that day to take blood from my father and I for DNA testing of her remains at the Pentagon. They recovered part of her left foot, her right thumb, and some bone fragments. My brother-in-law had the remains cremated and two years later, we had a proper burial for her.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
GWTJ said:
This is my first time ever that I am writing about where I was on 9/11. I was working 3:00pm to 11:00pm at the time and was home when my son came into my room and told me a plane had hit the Trade Center. From 9:00am on I watched just as shocked and stunned as everyone else. It never occurred to me to check on family members because none of my family works or lives in NY or does any traveling by plane.

I was working in Newark, NJ at the time in the network center of the P.S.E. & G. building. Driving in to work on the NJ Turnpike was as surreal as it gets. The smoke from NY City, not a plane taking off or landing at Newark International, and the jet fighter I saw streaking by confirmed the images I had been watching on TV that morning.

When I got to work a TV had been set up and everyone was watching and talking. At 3:30pm I got a phone call. It was my dad, he didn't sound right, he said "I've got some bad news, you're sister was on the plane that hit the Pentagon, she's gone." Those were the only words he was able to say. His friend got on the phone to tell me more but I was already getting knots in my stomach. I couldn't help myself. I started to break down and a co-worker asked me what was wrong. I managed to repeat what my dad said and then I left the room. I had never experienced true grief, until that moment.

My sister, who spent six years in the Navy and now worked for a defense contractor in Virginia, was going to Las Vegas for a convention. It was the first time she had ever had to travel on her job. She was scheduled to take the flight right before Flight77(the one that hit the Pentagon). But she had some sort of ticketing problem and by the time it was resolved she had been bumped one flight later onto Flight77.

Two days later our family and friends were in Virginia for her bodyless service. I have seen many military services on TV but to really be in one is an extremely emotional experience. When they folded the flag and played taps it was too emotional for words.

The FBI came by later that day to take blood from my father and I for DNA testing of her remains at the Pentagon. They recovered part of her left foot, her right thumb, and some bone fragments. My brother-in-law had the remains cremated and two years later, we had a proper burial for her.

Wow, that was tough to read I can only imagine what it was like to live through. My sincere condolences for what they're worth. It must be tough to relive the event. Personally I would like to put it behind us.

GW how do you feel about the constant reminders, the movies, the specials, the reports, my wife watches each one and I ask her why? Just let it go.

Also what are your feelings about the view that there wasn't a plane that hit the Pentagon? I hear that a lot and I don't understand it.

Do you get any satisfaction from the war in Iraq or Afganistan? I would want each one of those bastards to die if it had been my sister that had been killed, but maybe after a while the feelings change.

BTW you don't have to reply to any of this, they were just questions that came to me after reading your powerful post.

G

I was cutting through the student union to get some coffee in the cafeteria and everyone was watching the TV. Right then I knew that the perps were Muslims. I really didn't think that Iraq had anything to do with it but I knew that we would soon be paying that country a visit to take care of some 'unfinished business.'

cslewis1

Guru
I hate to sound crass, especially after reading GWTJ, but it just shows we've got to get these f'ers before they come back and get us. I am still pissed, to this day, that this happened. We are such an f'ed up society, we've got no guts to defend ourselves. Did you hear about this Taliban thing? How they had 190 of them sh*ts in our sites but didn't want to pull the trigger because they have orders not to at a cemetary. AHHHH! I can't freakin' believe it.

You know, I support George W. AND the war in Iraq. I still do, and it was the right thing to do, to get Saddam. However, Bush has no control of the government. It is so big and so entrenched that no matter who is president they won't be able to change anything to allow us to fight these sh*ts the way we need. The ACLU controls the power a whole lot more than our elected officials.

And I am pessimistic that 9-11 came and went and now we're back to sticking our heads in the sand, worrying about Mel Gibson, all the while these f'ers are out to get my kids. Pisses me off.

Bless your sister GWTJ. My sister was in Iraq. To have lost her would have crushed me.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I'm sorry to GWTJ for you and your family.Your story was very moving.Keep her in your heart and thoughts forever.I'm sure that you are.I just can't wait for the day that we catch or kill Bin Laden.He has to be held accountable.It is so frustrating that we are not even close.President Bush rarely even mentions his name anymore.It's time for a new leader come 2008.Change is good.

JD074

Master
cslewis1 said:
You know, I support George W. AND the war in Iraq. I still do, and it was the right thing to do, to get Saddam.

This is a thread about 911. What the hell does Saddam Hussein and the War in Iraq have to do with 911?

However, Bush has no control of the government.

smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
Man, you are something.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
JD074 said:
cslewis1 said:
You know, I support George W. AND the war in Iraq. I still do, and it was the right thing to do, to get Saddam.

This is a thread about 911. What the hell does Saddam Hussein and the War in Iraq have to do with 911?

However, Bush has no control of the government.

smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
Man, you are something.

JD I understand your view but get real.

The connection is freaking obvious. No it's not a straight line, CSI crime scene-IRAQ type of connection but it is a very basic human connection. For God's sake it's practically a racial thing, on this site how can you not at least acknowlege that?

Violent Arab Muslims destroyed the world trade center (unless you believe it was Israel or the CIA or aliens or somebody) and Iraq is full of violent Arab Muslims that hated America, cheered the attacks, and at some level were supportive, even if only at a distance.

Thus the gut human reaction to unleash the dogs of war on the bastards is completely understandable if not rational. Just because you disagree with Bush or the war or whatever how can you not see why there is a very good connection between 911 and Iraq? It's called revenge, misguided or misdirected, but revenge none-the-less.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
jaxvid said:
Thus the gut human reaction to unleash the dogs of war on the bastards is completely understandable if not rational. Just because you disagree with Bush or the war or whatever how can you not see why there is a very good connection between 911 and Iraq? It's called revenge, misguided or misdirected, but revenge none-the-less.

If it's not rational, and it's misguided, then it's not revenge, it's WRONG and unjustifiable. Our righteous rage should be directed at the forces that have all but destroyed our country from within, not a primitive Third World people halfway around the world. This is the same game the system has played on the American people over and over again, and until we wise up and quit playing it then this country will continue to head in the wrong direction.

Bart

Hall of Famer
This is a volatile subject guaranteed to bring emotions to a boil, so with respect to opposing views I will toss in my two cents.There were no weapons of mass destruction. The connection between Hussein and 911 has not been proved.Some have said it was Bin Laden and his cronies behind the situation. We certainluy could have taken him out if we wanted to do so without spending 500 billions of dollars and wasting American lives. What has been accomplished in Iraq? It is a greater threat and enemy than before. Very militant sectarian factions have sprung forward that will guarantee chaos for years and years. W e AINT gonna fix it. Don't be fooled by Limbaugh and Hannity. There are vast numbers of angry fanatical Muslims who arer NOW even morebent on revenge. After the Israeli's carpet bombed Lebanon and massacred huge numbers of civilians it is going to become a hot bed for new recruits also.

No, I don't trust what this government tells us.I'm not sure who the hijackers were and certainly find it hard to believe the towers could have come tumbling down the way they did, without it being a controlled demolition. And why did building no. 7 go down the same wayafter sustaining almost no damage?

Did anybody see the story Fox news did about the massive Israeli spy network and the Dancing Israeli's who were caught filming the towers? There is probably more evidence implicating them there is to Saddam Hussein.Edited by: Bart

G

Bart said:
 ...I'm not sure who the hijackers were and certainly find it hard to believe the towers could have come tumbling down the way they did, without it being a controlled demolition. 

You don't believe the hijackers were mostly Saudis? I thought that it has been established who the hijackers were. Could you also please elaborate on your remarks about it being a controlled demolition? Most of the 9-11 theories I've heard sound just as incredible as those 'levies were bombed in New Orleans' Katrina theories.
smiley5.gif
Edited by: Menelik

Bart

Hall of Famer
Why should I trust this government to tell us the truth? They lied about the border situation and immigration. They lied when they told us integration and multiculturism was for our own good.They lied when they told us NAFTA and other trade agreements were in our best interests.They LIED about weapons of mass destruction!They lied like hell about Abu Graib and the torturing of prisoners!

Don't be cute and try to tie in the Katrina levees with the towers collapsing. There are manyreputablescientists and several video's on the web questioning the official government version. Many capable people feel the towers dropped in a fashion consistent with controlled demolitions. Did you see any of the video's? How do you explain the need for building 7 to come down the way it did?
smiley5.gif

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Bart said:
Why should I trust this government to tell us the truth? They lied about the border situation and immigration. They lied when they told us integration and multiculturism was for our own good. They lied when they told us NAFTA and other trade agreements were in our best interests. They LIED about weapons of mass destruction! They lied like hell about Abu Graib and the torturing of prisoners!

Don't be cute and try to tie in the Katrina levees with the towers collapsing. There are many reputable scientists and several video's on the web questioning the official government version.  Many capable people feel the towers dropped in a fashion consistent with controlled demolitions. Did you see any of the video's? How do you explain the need for building 7 to come down the way it did? 

Yes the government lies but if you believe that we are ruled by people that would intentionally send 3000 innocent decent American citizens to a fiery death, wreck our economy, and completely alter our way of life just to goose us into a little regional war and only marginally increase the level of power and wealth they already posses, then you are admitting that this country is so far gone that it is beyond saving.

If our elected leaders are that devious, if the President of the United States is that totally evil, then it is absolutely useless to try and lobby for any thing decent because it is obvious there is no treachery that they will not inflict upon us.

If this really is your world view then why post on websites where the totally evil government can mark you as an enemy for their next purge? And whats the point of getting involved and trying to change things if those at the highest level of our government would arrange for two skyscrapers in our largest city to be detonated and destroyed? What chance is there to change their minds about anything else?

Wouldn't the best stratey be to lay low so as not to be spotted and if you were REALLY motivated to do something to join with others of like mind in private?

And BTW as far as the destruction of the towers is concerned, as an engineer I know that if things happened like they were supposed to, or worked like they did in simulations, or worked "as planned" then there would be no need for redesigns, repairs, maintenance, rebuilds, etc etc. You cannot recreate such a completely once in a lifetime occurance with any accuracy. And I know that if you were to do the exact same thing over again it would probably have very different results, because that is how things work in the real world.

BTW I do not trust the government either and dislike our policy in Iraq and the way the war has been waged, and no longer give a damn about Bush either.

So I guess we agree about most things and I don't know why we are arguing about this stuff I guess it's the only way to keep from going crazy.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
jaxvid said:

If it's not rational, and it's misguided, then it's not revenge, it's WRONG and unjustifiable.  Our righteous rage should be directed at the forces that have all but destroyed our country from within, not a primitive Third World people halfway around the world.  This is the same game the system has played on the American people over and over again, and until we wise up and quit playing it then this country will continue to head in the wrong direction.

I don't disagree with your conclusion Don but who says revenge is rational? It's just a gut feeling. It wasn't rational for Iraq's to cheer when thousands of innocent Americans were plunging to a fiery death either. What rational purpose did it serve them?

So it's not rational to watch as missles rain death down on them, but it IS revenge. Maybe not for 911 directly but for something. Don't you think?

Poacher

Mentor
The proper reaction by the government to 9/11 would have been to have installed a border fence on the border with Mexico and re-tooled our immigration policy to make it rational instead of suicidal and also to change our policy in the mid-east. If the government was actually representing the American people that's what would have happened.

But the government didn't do those things it did something else. It did something else because 9/11 was not what it seemed.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
jaxvid said:
So it's not rational to watch as missles rain death down on them, but it IS revenge. Maybe not for 911 directly but for something. Don't you think?

No, I don't in the least. IMO the Iraq War and the whole Bush/neo-con foreign policy has been a complete disaster. Wars of aggression, torture, a police state at home, the endless fear-mongering and outright lying with its crude propaganda,this is increasingly not a country I recognize. I don't see how anyone can look at U.S. foreign policy and not see that it's being conducted in large part on behalf of a foreign country. How disgusting, how much more unhealthy can a situation be?

As far as 9/11, the 9/11 Truth Movement is a very developed and rational enterprise. Everyone from well-known professors to former administration officials to airline pilots to engineers, actors and decorated military men has gone public with their opinion that the "official story" is bunk. Think about it -- we're supposed to believe that our intelligence community, the administration, and all our air defenses were "caught sleeping" by the perfectly enacted plans of some cavemen flying the most sophisticated airliners around, but the explanation of who was behind it and how it was pulled off was ascertained within minutes after the attacks and has never deviated since, even though some of the "hijackers" are alive and well. Amazing.

Even polls now show that a third to a half of Americans think the government either knew ahead of time what was coming or actually planned and carried it out. It's far from the "tinfoil hat conspiracy" that was laughed at right after it happened. People have had time to think, reflect, and look at a lot of differentideas and explanations, and more and more are finding that the least credible explanation is the original one.

C Darwin

Mentor
Menelik said:
Could you also please elaborate on your remarks about it being a controlled demolition?

If you watch the collapse of the towers in slow motion, there are explosions that occur below the crumble line of the collapsing buildings. I have never heard an explanation for this. Also, there have only been three high-rise buildings to collapse due to fire; WTC 1, WTC 2, and WTC 7.

I am not promoting a theory! These are simply questions that I would like answered.
Edited by: C Darwin

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
can some of you guys who are more knowledgeable about the situation post some links to CREDIBLE sources about the whole 9-11 tragedy?

i know only what i saw on television that day and the horror i felt, but coupling that with the weird ideas ever since from the government, i am willing to listen to alternate scenarios than the one being offered by the MSM.

G

Bart said:
Why should I trust this government to tell us the truth? They lied about the border situation and immigration. They lied when they told us integration and multiculturism was for our own good. They lied when they told us NAFTA and other trade agreements were in our best interests. They LIED about weapons of mass destruction! They lied like hell about Abu Graib and the torturing of prisoners!

Don't be cute and try to tie in the Katrina levees with the towers collapsing. There are many reputable scientists and several video's on the web questioning the official government version.  Many capable people feel the towers dropped in a fashion consistent with controlled demolitions. Did you see any of the video's? How do you explain the need for building 7 to come down the way it did? 

I've seen most (loose change, ect.) of the videos that claim that 9-11 was set-up. Heres my problem with conspiracy theories. Here we have a government that can't control illegal immigration, has unsound fiscal policies, and can't successfully control the insurgents in Iraq but they have the capabilities to take down the WTCs in the middle of New York City in broad daylight! What was their purpose if they did; to get us in a war with Iraq that we can't control? If the government is that terrible don't you feel somewhat apprehensive about posting these views on the net. After all IF the government orchestrated 9-11, it would be no problem for them to track down and 'silence' dissenting voices now would it? Also I wasn't trying to be cute when I mentioned the theory that someone blew a hole in one of the levies in New Orleans. If you actually believe the 9-11 theories why can't you also believe the Katrina theories?

G

Jimmy Chitwood said:
can some of you guys who are more knowledgeable about the situation post some links to CREDIBLE sources about the whole 9-11 tragedy?

i know only what i saw on television that day and the horror i felt, but coupling that with the weird ideas ever since from the government, i am willing to listen to alternate scenarios than the one being offered by the MSM.

Heres a good link but since it is a govenment agency I'm sure that a lot of the posters on here will claim that it is not a CREDIBLE source.
smiley36.gif

http://wtc.nist.gov/