Roy Jones vs. Joe Calzaghe

Westside

Hall of Famer
WA your right, this would be a great fight for Joe. A no lose fight. If he loses chaulk it up to being too old. And if he wins, he will be immortalized as one of the greatest if not the greatest boxer of ALL TIME. I believe with all the experience that Joe's has, he would be able to take apart a young and good fighter in Dawson. This time, however, have the fight over in Whales. Give them a good bye gift.

Maple Leaf, no so fast, I called it UD as well in two of my prior posts. Congrats and now those six beers are awaiting me!

Maple Leaf

Mentor
JD 1986, Whiteathlete 33:

I am glad to see you gentlemen recognize that the age arguement is ridiculous. There is only 2 1/2 to 3 years difference between these two and Joe never took any steroids during his career. By the way, Joe is not as fast as he use to be and his hands are always sore so he has to lighten his punches as well. No, I think the outcome would have been the same had these two fought 10 years ago. This was another fight RJJ admitted he ducked 10 years ago to manage his risk.

Sean

Mentor
Maple Leaf said:
By the way, Joe is not as fast as he use to be and his hands are always sore so he has to lighten his punches as well. No, I think the outcome would have been the same had these two fought 10 years ago. This was another fight RJJ admitted he ducked 10 years ago to manage his risk.

Great point. All the caste clown fans who are saying Joe couldn't stop an "old man" forget that Joe has had trouble with his hands for a long time. He's broken them more than once I believe. This would, obviously, change his power after a while. Even with hand problems, he's beaten two legends in a row. Congrats to Joe, the greatest fighter of his era!

Maple Leaf

Mentor
Thank you Sean
smiley2.gif
. And we can take the showboating complaints anytime as RJJ was perhaps one of the worst offenders of all time.

Westside, yes, you predicted it as well and congrats to you too! Good to see you are on top of your game as well.
smiley4.gif

In the Post fight interview Max Kellerman metioned age 6 times. 6 dam times. Rarely do you ever hear a interviewer repeat ceaselessly age, age, age. Now, age may have played a role. (I personally believe a small role as Calzaghe at nearly 37 is past his best as well)But you rarley hear the post fight center around the age of one of the contestants. Jones embodied the Black Superman myth to a tee. I never found Jones to be nearly as revolting as a Hopkins or a Tarver but in the end, he was squaring up against one of our own. Great fight Joe. Joe Calzaghe for President!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
smiley36.gif

albinosprint

Mentor
thank God Joe won this one. after Wariner, Pavlik and McCain, I couldn't handle another black victory.

Sean

Mentor
From yahoo:

RJJ after the fight said:

He won the fight, he definitely won the fight. Those pitty pats were a little harder than I thought. I couldn't see out of my left eye. I don't know what is next for me. I worked so hard for me. I just don't know. I couldn't figure him out.
Edited by: Sean

Maple Leaf

Mentor
Sean said:
Maple Leaf said:
By the way, Joe is not as fast as he use to be and his hands are always sore so he has to lighten his punches as well. No, I think the outcome would have been the same had these two fought 10 years ago. This was another fight RJJ admitted he ducked 10 years ago to manage his risk.

Great point. All the caste clown fans who are saying Joe couldn't stop an "old man" forget that Joe has had trouble with his hands for a long time. He's broken them more than once I believe. This would, obviously, change his power after a while. Even with hand problems, he's beaten two legends in a row. Congrats to Joe, the greatest fighter of his era!

He beat Kessler, Hopkins, and now Jones all in the span of about 1 year. Well, if that isn't the best of our era I don't know what is. I don't see Mayweather taking 3 tough fights in 1 year and winning them all that convincingly! And, by the way, tell this to those stooges on the casty-boy sites: if Hopkins was so used up, how was it he was able to beat the middle weight champion of the world (Pavlik)?

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
You guys who missed the fight have to watch it on the HBO replay, probably next weekend. Joe Calzaghe put on a show. Max Kellerman said that Joe was 'out Roy Jonesing Roy Jones.' Joe mocked him pretty much from the 3rd round on, shucking and jiving in perfect mimicry of the way Roy Jones has mocked his opponents through the years. It was fantastic fun to watch. Roy hit Joe flush with a right and a left and Joe just laughed at him!

And yes, you never heard anybody complain about Jones' showboating, did you?

Maple Leaf

Mentor
Shogun wrote: "...And yes, you never heard anybody complain about Jones' showboating, did you?"

No, we never heard those saps complain about Jones showboating all those years. On the contrary, he was being "entertaining" to those saps and not being "boring".

Westside

Hall of Famer
Thanks Maple Leaf, I believe JD1986 called it as well. Man what a great feeling. To throw this at blks where I am from, and watch their brains try to function.
smiley36.gif
I will always remember this day.

While watching the fight, I remember seeing Joe, with his hands at his side, daring Jones to hit him and then put his face to Jones gloves daring him to hit. At that point, I said Joe is being dumb, but I guess he had six sense that this night was his, and he was right.

Yes gentelmen, this is the golden age of WHITE FIGHTERS, no matter if Pavlik fought at 170 lbs or had a off night. If am Pavlik, I would be worried about King Arthur.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Maple Leaf said:
Shogun wrote: "...And yes, you never heard anybody complain about Jones' showboating, did you?"

No, we never heard those saps complain about Jones showboating all those years. On the contrary, he was being "entertaining" to those saps and not being "boring".

Joe put on a clinic! He toyed with Jones most of the fight mocking him and laughing in his face! Yes,Jonesy loved to showboat and humiliate his opponents, but JC gave him a taste of his own medicine.The message board clowns are crying like babies. Ha ha ha ha.

Maple Leaf

Mentor
I stand corrected: there is a full 3 years difference in age between the 2 men. But so what. From reading posters on other sites, I would be mislead to believe that Calzaghe was 10 years younger than Jones. If you look carefully you will see that Calzaghe is not the same fighter he used to be either. It is remarkable how people are stupified into believing something without thinking or fact checking for themselves. Frequently we hear about a "prime Jones was untouchable". Was he? Then why did he not fight Micheal. or Calzaghe then? Look at the Hopkins fight from '97: Jones was definitely touchable and definitely beatable.

Oh, how the myths never end!

Blue Devils

Mentor
Now the Caste clowns are demanding he fight Chad Dawson
smiley36.gif
Dawson couldn't even beat Glen Johnson who I seen Sven Ottke box circles around.

On the fight Great performance by Joe. I caught the replay from the second round on. He went to the body well and peppered Roy all night with combinations. The fight when exactly the way I thought it would with the exception of the knockdown.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Johnnyboy, where are you? Whats your opinion/analysis on this great/needed fight for us? Just killed the 7th beer. Good times.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
One of the finest sports nights of my life. I have never been so proud to be white! The only moment that could even come close was Tommy Morrison beating George Foreman for the Heavyweight Title. I will put Jeremy Wariner in there too. I am so pumped right now. The look on peoples faces at the sports bar I went to said it all. They just couldn't handle it. They have such fragile egos. LOL!

Joe Calazaghe is the greatest of all time period! I want him to fight because he is the best boxer on the planet but if he never fights again, who cares! He beat the crap out of every boxer on the planet. Long live the King Calazaghe. He is as dominate if not more than the Klitschkos. Simply the best of all time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHITE NOISE

Mentor
I watched the fight with my five boys (ages 7-14)and all of them were riveted to the set. My kids are just getting into watching sports and learning of the Caste system, but they were tremendously excited about the fight and completely enjoyed watching the deconstruction of RJJ! It was masterful, and a thing of beauty!

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
"Joe mocked him pretty much from the 3rd round on, shucking and jiving in perfect mimicry of the way Roy Jones has mocked his opponents through the years. It was fantastic fun to watch. Roy hit Joe flush with a right and a left and Joe just laughed at him!"

Normally I hate showboating, but this was the best taunting I've ever seen in a boxing match. He was brash, arrogant, confident, and best of all....he laughed right in RJJ's face. It was beautiful to watch a white athlete behave that way, for once.

The "c*cky" role is one exclusively played by black atheletes in every sport they participate in....it was somewhat strange to see it thrown back in their faces.

Pea-brained, bug-eyed Max Keller-boy was scrambling for excuses the way he always does. Well, should I say, whenever an "inferior" athlete wins. Aussie, I also noticed the "age this, age that" hilarity. They were 3 YEARS APART, BIG DEAL!

The caste-women in the sports media are running out of excuses. Watching them squirm is a hobbie of mine.Edited by: Thrashen

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I was just on youtube and saw a comment about Calzaghe challenging Hopkins to a fight in 2000 with Hopkins backing out. Anyone know if there is any truth to this?

Blue Devils

Mentor
whiteathlete33 said:
I was just on youtube and saw a comment about Calzaghe challenging Hopkins to a fight in 2000 with Hopkins backing out. Anyone know if there is any truth to this?
Hopkins I believed agreed to fight him in 2001 then the very next day wanted double the amount of money he just agreed to.

Maple Leaf

Mentor
whiteathlete33 said:
At least Jones showed respect for Calzaghe and stated he "is the best pound for pound fighter in the world."

I will also give credit to Jones for stating that. But, and there always is a but, I am still glad to have seen Calzaghe mock and torment him in the ring. Every night, and I mean EVERY night on televison where football highlights are broadcasted, some black is showboating and taunting someone. For them it is ritual. RJJ was perhaps the worst offender of all time and that is why Calzaghe did it. Do any of you remember the Calzaghe/Kessler fight? Calzaghe behaved like a perfect gentleman in winning and never mocked Kessler at all. Why? Because he respects his fellow white champion warrior too much to do so. Calzaghe has been in this business a long time and I am sure he has seen many, many reviling incidents of blatant uncivil behavior from behind the scenes.

Blue Devils

Mentor
I've noticed a lot of people crying
smiley19.gif
around about Joe's showboating claiming Joe is classless. Kind of ironic when you consider Roy made a career over embarrassing overmatched opponents. But if you watch the fight again HBO replay or whatever you'll notice that Roy starts the showboating in the first and second rounds. He drops Joe in the first then when the bell rings he just stands in the center of the ring for about 15 secs then in the second he starts doing some sort of shoulder raises then with about 30 secs left he knocks Joe head back with a right then proceeds to stick his tongue out toward the crowd. He tried to showboat in the first half of the third but Joe clearly started to get to him and give him a piece of his own medicine. Bottom line is that Joe stopped Roy from showboating but Roy couldn't stop Joe from doing it.

Roy did lose graciously unlike Hopkins and give credit to Joe so for that I applaud Roy
smiley32.gif

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
"They" showed highlights of this fight on ESPN and, shockingly, no excuses were made for RJJ. I guess the little heeb-boys are pissed about all the hype they gave him over the years....and now he betrayed them by losing to their devilish white enemy.

Joe looked so good, I couldnt believe it. Well, he is 46-0, so I can believe it! Another wonderful win for a wonderful athelete.

Mapleleaf is totally correct, as usual, Joe was incredibly gracious when fighting and beating Kessler.