Ricky Hatton

Great win for Hatton. I think they will try Hatton with Cotto next if he does move up to 147. Mayweather will most likely get Mosley. As no one is sure where Floyd may fight at next, the one thing for certain is he won't come down to 140. He'll be at 154/147 range. Again and unfortuantely, the chips are in Mayweather's favor. Hatton needs Mayweather more than vice-versa. Mayweather can still have fights with decent fighters at 154/147. But Hatton has cleaned out the 140 division and will have to move up to face decent competition that will get his name out more in the public mainstream. Hatton has more fans, but Floyd is more well known and has the politics of boxing working in his favor. It looks like Hatton will have to chase Floyd, but Hatton will bring the money. That's what Floyd said that he is looking for. So show him some cheese and he'll come out!
smiley2.gif

Angelcynn

Guru
Hatton is Mayweathers worst nightmare, his ballerina skills won't affect Hatton. Hattons a backstreet brawler who can take a lot on the chin. I've never been so optimistic with Ricky Hatton especially after the 2 average fights before the Castillo fight. It will be very interesting to see who both fight next because no one knows, it's all speculation. Also wouldn't it be great to see Hatton have more support when Mayweathers on home turf! Unfortunatly I can foresee a riot in the arena if the dream fight were to go ahead because Hattons hardcore fans will not take no crap from loud mouthed N.....s. Mayweathers fans could well leave the arena battered and bruised.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Joel Casamayor, the Ring Champion at Lightweight, is calling Hatton out. It would be a big fight and a good style matchup for Hatton with a similar opponent to himself. Casamayor is actually slightly bigger than Hatton (reach 69', height 5'7'') and he's said he wouldn't mind fighting at 140 instead of 135.

This would be a big fight between two Ring Magazine champions.Edited by: JD1986

dkr77

Guru
"I don't think he would be criticized for brawling, especially after the disappointment of the Mayweather/ De La Hoya fight. Remember how livid Lampley was after the Taylor/ Spinks fight? Nobody wants to see that kind of fight. He would get criticized for holding, like Lederman criticized him last night. But he would definitely gain respect for beating the "Best P4P in the world." A lot of people would love to see Mayweather get beat."

I don't know about that JD. Mayweather has almost a cult like status from a lot of boxing pundit's and I believe many of them would make excuses for the loss. If Hatton were to use the majority of the early rounds to lean on, push, shove and use almost a clinch type of style to wear Mayweather down, and catch a decision win, we would never hear the end of it. Now if the last few rounds ended in a blistering exchange with Hatton KO'ing "Pretty mouth" it would be a different story. By the way, if Mayweather fights Mosley I'll go with Mosley.Edited by: dkr77

cslewis1

Guru
I know this is off subject. But anyone remember a guy named Troy Dorsey. I saw that guy probably 15 years ago just work people relentlessly. he was awesome to watch. Anyone know what happened to him?

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
lewis, I don't know what happened to him but I remember Dorsey. I loved watching him fight as well. Even back in those days before I was racially conscious I rooted for him.

dkr77, I agree completely.As I said on a previous statement I KNOW that Mosley would give Mayweather his toughest fight and very well can beat him. They are all but locked for the next fight and some bad blood is brewing between them. If they did go I would want Mosley to win to humble Floyd and at least Shane Mosley seems like a respectable fellow as compared to Floyd.

That being said, I hope that Hatton moves to 147 and gets some of the big fish in that division. Casamayor would be a good fight but we need a bigger name for Hatton to reach the mainstream. Cotto would be a good matchup for Hatton too if he moves to 147 as a strong tuneup for Mayweather.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Sure, I remember Troy Dorsey. Rough, tough Texasredneck who always made for great fights. I think he was a lightweight. Don't think he ever got a belt but he was top 10 for a while. He lacked power but wore guys down.

Mayweather went up to Junior Middleweight to fight De La Hoya. He may like it there. In addition to giving away 7" of reach 2.5" of height ( I am not convinced this is actually a disadvantage ) and 7 lbs. another factor to consider is that the boxing community is brainwashed where Mayweather is concerned. Many people felt that Catillo beat him in 2002. They obviously did not see the same fight as the three judges. One definate advantage Hatton would have. Ricky likes to fight going forward and as chickensh*t as Pretty boy is about taking a punch I am sure Msayweather would be backing up!

JD074

Master
Hatton stepped into the ring at an unofficial 149 pounds.For his last fight, Mayweather weighed in- if memory serves- at 150 pounds. So aren't they naturally about the same weight? And Mayweather isn't a big puncher, and he isn't a "wear 'em down" volume puncher either. The scarier fight, in my mind, would be Cotto. He can fight Hatton's style, and can really put a hurt on someone. Against Mayweather, Hatton could lose, but against Cotto, he could get beaten up badly. But he may have enough speed to avoid enough punishment to win a decision.

If you asked me sixth months ago I would've been pretty certain that Mayweather would win, but I've been getting a lot more optimistic about white fighters recently. I think it's the combination of white fighters doing well, and black fighters (Briggs, Taylor) not doing so well. I could see Mayweather/ Hatton going either way. Mayweather could dance and pot shot his way to victory, or Hatton could "hook and hold" Mayweather and totally "short-circuit" his offense. Has Mayweather ever fought on the inside for a significant part of a fight? How did he do?

De La Hoya had some success putting Mayweather's back on the ropes, going to the body, etc. De La Hoya lost a close fight to Mayweather, and Hatton is the worse match up for Mayweather, IMO. A boxing ring is not that big, and Mayweather could only avoid Hatton for so long. Eventually he's going to find himself in some clinches.

Mayweather would be a tough fight for anyone, but he's not invincible. We saw that against both Judah and DLH. Edited by: JD074

cslewis1

Guru
White Shogun said:
lewis, I don't know what happened to him but I remember Dorsey. I loved watching him fight as well. Even back in those days before I was racially conscious I rooted for him.

yeah man, this was about the time I began to become racially aware. I was still in the Army hanging in the barracks with a couple guys watching him taking out this black guy, or Mexican...can't really remember, but he just whooping up on him. He did take some shots, but he was on him like stink on Sh*t if you know what I mean. Yet the fight was a unanimous decision in the black guys favor. Couldn't believe it. Even the announcers were like WTF?
We all knew what happened, and why the decision went the other way. After that, I began to pay more attention and support my kind.

Lo and behold, fast forward 15 years, and things have got much worse. Of course, now the announcers of that fight would have said that Dorsey didn't do enough to win, that he wasn't athletic enough, or quick enough, or whatever the code words are.

15 freakin' years! Man, time flies. and look how little things have changed. Depressing in a way.

Well, on the positive, we got this site and obviously, I'm not the only one who feels this way. That's a very positive thing.
smiley32.gif
Edited by: cslewis1

nopictures

Guru
"yeah man, this was about the time I began to become racially aware. I was still in the Army hanging in the barracks with a couple guys watching him taking out this black guy, or Mexican...can't really remember, but he just whooping up on him. He did take some shots, but he was on him like stink on Sh*t if you know what I mean. Yet the fight was a unanimous decision in the black guys favor. Couldn't believe it. Even the announcers were like WTF?
We all knew what happened, and why the decision went the other way. After that, I began to pay more attention and support my kind."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__2cfWL4IFE

Is this the one you're talking about? It's in Spanish and there isn't an ending unfortunately. This guy was a f**kin scrapper!

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Troy Dorsey

You guys have got me re-thinking Hatton v Mayweather...If the fight was assigned a ref that would allow Hatton to fight inside, he might be able to pull it off. The ref would have a lot of impact on who wins this one, I think.

Cotto made Zab Judah take a knee just by beating on him; arms, shoulders, body... he just beat the crap out of him, period. Cotto v Hatton would be a war.

Maybe Hatton has started the fight negotiatins already. He has already created a situation in which Mayweather has said in public he will come out of retirement to fight Hatton. Hatton has not said he will fight Mayweather and can use as an excuse the Mayweather last fought at two weight division above his thus forcing Pretty Boy Floyd to come down to 140. If the Hatton camp can neotiate for a small ring , a thick pad and heavy gloves this could turn into just the kind a fight that Ricky does well and remove any speed advantage that Mayweather allegedly has.

KG2422

Mentor
Tired old White said:
Maybe Hatton has started the fight negotiatins already. He has already created a situation in which Mayweather has said in public he will come out of retirement to fight Hatton. Hatton has not said he will fight Mayweather and can use as an excuse the Mayweather last fought at two weight division above his thus forcing Pretty Boy Floyd to come down to 140. If the Hatton camp can neotiate for a small ring , a thick pad and heavy gloves this could turn into just the kind a fight that Ricky does well and remove any speed advantage that Mayweather allegedly has.

I agree with you about the weight and ring size but Hatton has fought much better with smaller gloves in the past and I don't think Mayweather is faster than he is. Hatton will swarm him if they fight at 140.

pt.guard2

Guru
I do believe Mayweather is faster and extremely skilled defensively, but if Hatton fights at the top of his game and wears him down with body punches, he could pull off a huge upset. I say huge upset, only because the boxing pundits will have Mayweather as a big favorite.

KG2422, What I was really refering to is that boxing like all simulated combat sports is as much a mental competition as it is physical and it looks the white boy has started early and taken a significant early lead in the mental part od this boxing match.

I also believe that Hatton wants to get Mayweather in a situation where he has to make good fight not just stick and run as he usually does. He wants to amke Pretty Boy rumble.Edited by: Tired old White

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
There are serious discussions going on for a Nov.10 fight in Las Vegas between Hatton and Mayweather, according to the LA Times this morning. The date and place has been agreed to, but there are details about money that need to be worked out.

PitBull

Guru
I don't see what the difference is between clinching and punching and
dancing and punching. In both styles you just try to keep the other guy
from hittting you, get in for a combination or two, and then get away from
being hit. If anything the clincher works just as hard but takes more inside
shots.

KG2422

Mentor
Tired old White said:
KG2422, What I was really refering to is that boxing like all simulated combat sports is as much a mental competition as it is physical and it looks the white boy has started early and taken a significant early lead in the mental part od this boxing match.

I also believe that Hatton wants to get Mayweather in a situation where he has to make good fight not just stick and run as he usually does. He wants to amke Pretty Boy rumble.

Nice observation. I hadn't really thought of that.

white is right

Hall of Famer
PitBull said:
I don't see what the difference is between clinching and punching and
dancing and punching. In both styles you just try to keep the other guy
from hittting you, get in for a combination or two, and then get away from
being hit. If anything the clincher works just as hard but takes more inside
shots.
If you take the running to an extreme it's as bad as excessive clinching. Who saw the Andre Dirrell fight before the Paulie M fight? He looked like a matador running from the bull after being charged. The funny thing was his opponent fought as aggressive as Ferdinand the Bull. I recall Hector Camacho getting the nickname the not so macho man because of excessive running.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
smiley14.gif
Hatton vs. Mayweather Nov. 10 in Las Vegas

I see this on boxrec.com schedule.

GO RICKY!

Edited by: JD1986

KG2422

Mentor
[url]http://www.sportinglife.com/boxing/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_ NAME=boxing/07/06/30/manual_175736.html [/url]

HATTON: I'M FLOYD'S WORST NIGHTMARE

Ricky Hatton has fired the latest salvo in his war of words with Floyd Mayweather by claiming he is the American's "worst nightmare".

In the wake of Hatton's fourth-round stoppage of Jose Luis Castillo in Las Vegas last weekend, barbs have flown back and forth between the two camps.

The latest came from 'Pretty Boy' Mayweather, who claimed on Friday that Hatton was "a hell of a wrestler - punch, hold, punch, hold".

But the Mancunian responded after touching down back on English soil, saying: "I am Floyd's worst nightmare. He likes to sit on his ropes and do that rope-a-dope type of stuff. I'll stay on his chest and punch away all night long.

"I think I'll be the first man to beat him."

Hatton's promoter Dennis Hobson has offered Mayweather $10million to come to Britain for a superfight with his man, but the 'Hitman' claims he is happy to make the fight anywhere just to get it on.

He said: "It could be in Manchester at the City of Manchester City or at the new Wembley or we could even go back to the States. I'm not too bothered.

"For all his confidence he doesn't want to come over here to fight me."

KG2422

Mentor
That was what Ricky had to say after Floyd said this:

PRETTY BOY READY TO SILENCE HATTON

Floyd Mayweather Jr says he's ready to get in the ring with Ricky Hatton and "beat him all the way back to England."

The Pretty Boy announced his retirement from the sport after beating Oscar De La Hoya in their Las Vegas superfight last month.

But he's now fuming at Hatton's jibes after the Manchester hitman knocked out Jose Luis Castillo on Saturday night.

And it appears that a blockbusting showdown between the pair could well happen at last.

Mayweather said: "Ricky Hatton has talked nonstop about fighting me for the last two weeks.

"He has disrespected me and my accomplishments in the ring, and I take that very seriously. I'm going to give him the opportunity to step up and fight the best in the world. I don't think this punk will take the challenge."

A potential Mayweather/Hatton bout would feature two of the sport's best undefeated fighters. With his win over Castillo, Hatton improved his record to 43-0 with 31 KO's. Mayweather is 38-0 with 24 KO's.

"Now that Hatton has opened up his big mouth, he might start to think about what he has been asking for," continued Mayweather.

"Does he really want to step into the ring with best fighter of this era and embarrass himself? Being the coward that he is, I doubt he'll get in the ring. We'll see what his excuse will be this time."

Hatton has made no secret of his desire to break America and he has made it known that he covets a bout with Mayweather, long regarded by many fight fans as the best pound-for-pound boxer of his generation.

And Mayweather insists that the 28-year-old's talking has had the desired effect.

"Ricky Hatton is the most over-rated fighter of the last 25 years.

"He beat an old (Kostya) Tszyu and he beat an old Castillo who was shot. I beat Castillo twice and the first time I did it with one hand because the other was so messed up.

"That was five years ago when Castillo was in his prime. I was retired but I'll sign to fight Hatton right now."

Mayweather, 30, was dismissive of Hatton's ability and insisted he would go all out to cause his prospective opponent pain.

He said: "I've tried to let the things he said about me slide by but now he's 'dissing' me on national TV and I want to shut him up.

"I've never wanted to hurt an opponent like I do Hatton. For me, boxing is a science but it will be a pleasure to prove to the world what a great phoney the guy is.

"Ricky Hatton cannot fight. He cannot box. He throws one punch at a time and then holds. There is no skill to what he does in the ring. He has got zero skills."

[url]http://www.sportinglife.com/boxing/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_ NAME=boxing/07/06/27/BOXING_Hatton_Mayweather.html [/url]